• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! So Oric's character poll is fantastic and I bet I'm not the only one looking forward to each veteran reveal on that list; how about we have some avatar bets to make the ending to the list even more exciting? >=]

SkullHydra and I were going to have an avatar bet based on the top 5 characters in Oric's poll, but we're gonna make it open for anyone to join and let's make it for the top 10. Basically, you'll earn points for guessing the proper characters (2 points, let's say per character) and potentially more for their correct positions (1 point for 10th place, 2 for 9th, and so on until 10 points for 1st place). As demonstrated by Jiggly and Diddy, ties may occur in the poll. To keep things simple, no bonus points are given for ties (since that would mean more than 10 character guesses per participant) but the ties themselves offer a greater possibility for your characters to be picked!

How many victors will be decided on and how they will dish out new avatars will be dependent on how many participate, and we can discuss it as the contest proceeds.

If you want to participate, PM me your character picks and their positions in the format I specify with my picks below. You are free to post your choices up in the thread too for all to see, but I can't guarantee that I'll see them and add them to the spreadsheet I'm making for this.

Let's make the deadline for this the moment the Monday PotD is posted.

Also, we can do some fun stuff with the statistics, like I'll post a leaderboard after Oric posts his next reveal.

My pics (that will likely be wrong) are, in the format I'd like to specify:

10. Snake
9. Wolf
8. Ganondorf
7. Ness
6. Link
5. Zelda/Sheik
4. Marth
3. Mewtwo
2. Kirby
1. Captain Falcon

So, I sadly didn't beat Oric to the Pikapost.. But no matter, Pikachu and all the previous vets will be considered hints for the duration of the contest =]

Last bump

Omg

What if

What if Captain Falcon got Ganondorf's moves as customs and Ganondorf was decloned

If that happened, I would just be very disappointed that Sakurai didn't just go through the effort of adding Black Shadow.

Omg

What if

What if Captain Falcon got Ganondorf's moves as customs and Ganondorf was decloned

If that happened, I would just be very disappointed that Sakurai didn't just go through the effort of adding Black Shadow.

If the leak is confirmed I'll be disappointed as well if they don't add black shadow or another f-zero character to inherit ganondorf's old moveset

If the leak is blown out and Doc Mario/Dark Pit aren't playable then I'd be cool with falcon getting ganondorf's old moves as customs

Of course odds are Ganondorf will STILL be a clone then epic rage

Jawmuncher

Haha, no! Emcee would not be thrilled if we were posting just to crank a page out.

We can hurry with thoughtful discussion. That leak first hitting pages were barely lasting.

-----------

Namcos is handling the net code this time around aren't they?
Or has there been in word aside from the online modes.

Berordn

Omg

What if

At that point you've basically cut Ganondorf, since his most interesting differences were in his speed and power, not special moves.

Not

Banned
Haha, no! Emcee would not be thrilled if we were posting just to crank a page out.

Remember when EatChildren policed things around here and Emcee was just another far-too-reasonable SmashGAFfer?

They seem like ancient days now, lost to the mists of elden time

Remember when EatChildren policed things around here and Emcee was just another far-too-reasonable SmashGAFfer?

They seem like ancient days now, lost to the mists of elden time
Nope! I never realized Emcee used to just be a normal poster. Was he into Smash?

-Horizon-

vraicz.png

YOUR CHOICE FOR 15TH GREATEST SMASH BROS. CHARACTER WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY!

Previous Veteran Rankings Click on them to find out more!

Can't wait :D

Is there a representative in Smash 4 for Pilot Wings? I'm assuming it would be the Mii Fighters.

Miis are kind of a catch-all for a number of things. Pilotwings and Tomodachi Life among those, but also Wii Sports and all sorts of other generic stuff they were used in.

Pilotwings probably won't get a specific rep, but there's already at least one item from the series (that jetpack).

Ganondorf as he is. I don't have an issue with a new Ganondorf moveset taking the name of the old one, but the old playstyle would be lost.
It's quite possible to give Ganon a sword (as an example) and make him play reasonably similarly.

B can still be a charge-up move, etc. The only thing I could see as a major difference is him firing that ball to play tennis with.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm rewatching the old smash direct and I find it odd that ridley's shadow stays still and does nothing in the video, as if its normally floating or being controlled. Plus, its not attacking, just food for thought but this has probably been discussed heavily in the past.

Masked Man

I said wow
I will never understand the "I have a friend working on Smash 4/5 but he isn't sure about X detail" excuse. Based on my experiences in the industry thus far, it's extremely far-fetched to imagine that someone working on the development side of the game wouldn't be privy to something as huge as which characters are in the game.

I just want Ganondorf to get his shadow ball attack from OOT.

Fires an orb of shadow at you slowly, if you hit it then it homes back in on him and gains speed and strength, but if he hits it again it goes after someone else and gains speed and strength, and then you have people hitting it back and forth all over the place until it becomes too fast to counter and BAM, big damage.

Caladrius

I'm rewatching the old smash direct and I find it odd that ridley's shadow stays still and does nothing in the video, as if its normally floating or being controlled. Plus, its not attacking, just food for thought but this has probably been discussed heavily in the past.

Yeah, it's been talked about. The other theories thrown around are that Ridley is simply in a "rest" cycle or that his AI was unfinished at the time.

As usual, there isn't much of a strong consensus.

Makai

It's quite possible to give Ganon a sword (as an example) and make him play reasonably similarly.

B can still be a charge-up move, etc. The only thing I could see as a major difference is him firing that ball to play tennis with.
He's not worried about Warlock Punch.

I don't get why so many people want ganondorf to have a sword. Aren't there enough sword users already? lol

If anything, it would be very cool to have Ganondorf using a Trident, as a nod to his Ganon form, together with more projectile attacks using magic.

georly

I will never understand the "I have a friend working on Smash 4/5 but he isn't sure about X detail" excuse. Based on my experiences in the industry thus far, it's extremely far-fetched to imagine that someone working on the development side of the game wouldn't be privy to something as huge as which characters are in the game.

There's the theory/comment going around that certain testers only get part of the final roster, either because not everyone was ready to test or because sakurai didn't want any one team to leak the full thing (which is pretty dumb and would actively hurt balance).

*shrug*

I don't get why so many people want ganondorf to have a sword. Aren't there enough sword users already? lol

If anything, it would be very cool to have Ganondorf using a Trident, as a nod to his Ganon form, together with more projectile attacks using magic.

There are no dual-sword wielders, and there are no gigantic greatsword wielders. Just because they're a sword doesn't mean they will play or behave similarly.

Caladrius

The weapon doesn't matter so much as how it's implemented.

Ganondorf would be the slowest sword-user by far, and it's entirely possible they could give him twin broadswords or his magic abilities to help him be more differentiated.

Edit: Beaten.

georly

If they didn't declone Toon Link, then they won't declone Ganondorf.

But at least toon link is cloning another zelda rep... and it makes sense.

Ganondorf is cloning captain falcon, which makes zero sense (outside of the world of smash bros and melee dev cycle)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There's the theory/comment going around that certain testers only get part of the final roster, either because not everyone was ready to test or because sakurai didn't want any one team to leak the full thing (which is pretty dumb and would actively hurt balance).

*shrug*

There are no dual-sword wielders, and there are no gigantic greatsword wielders. Just because they're a sword doesn't mean they will play or behave similarly.

Rumors are rumors, we'll wait until the Japanese version of the game comes out. Hopefully patches will be a thing.

Ryce

If they didn't declone Toon Link, then they won't declone Ganondorf.
All four of Toon Link's special moves make complete sense for him. None of Ganondorf's special moves make sense. We've seen at least a dozen new special moves for veterans so far -- I don't suspect a full Ganondorf overhaul, but he could still have a few new attacks.

Jawmuncher

I remember playing Melee and the Ganondorf Sword taunt we thought was part of a secret to use it in battle.
Those were simpler times.

Makai

But at least toon link is cloning another zelda rep... and it makes sense.

Ganondorf is cloning captain falcon, which makes zero sense (outside of the world of smash bros and melee dev cycle)
Reminded me of this video I watched at least 10 years ago. Internet comedy has come a long way.

I don't remember Duck Hunt bookending it :O

georly

'Dorf does not need a sword. Please, no.

What if it just replaces one of his smash attacks? Like forward smash or up smash? Not full sword wielder, but it still helps represent his gaming persona better than a falcon kick ever did.

This. If anything he should have zero new moves that represent the franchise he's from. All of his alternative specials should be cloned from Peach, Lucina, and Mega Man.

I'm ok with that. Give him peache's side special, lucina's down special (we need more counters, honestly. Not enough) and mega man's dash attack.

georly

Too many sword characters.

Emphasize his magic instead.

That's the thing, none of his attacks currently represent the magic he uses throughout zelda, either. I'm ok with not giving him a sword or whatever, as long as more than 1 move comes from a zelda game (the twilight princess choke slam).

If ZSS can get new moves, if sheik can get new moves, if yoshi can get new moves (his running attack is new), if even link can get modified moves (back roll, new up air), ganondorf is going to get SOMETHING. Sakurai has to know the concerns of zelda fans.

Hell, donkey kong finally got his roll! Sakurai does listen.

ivxmal.png

Mr. Game & Watch
15th Place (Victory Music!)

Notable Appearences
Game & Watch (1980-1991)
Game & Watch Gallery 4 (2002)

Bio
Mr. Game & Watch is a composite representation of various generic characters featured in Nintendo's Game & Watch products and video game series created in 1980 by Gunpei Yokoi. The Game & Watch made handhelds vastly popular. Many toy companies followed in the footsteps of Game & Watch, such as Tiger Electronics and their Star Wars themed games. Nintendo's Game & Watch units were eventually superseded by the original Game Boy. Each Game & Watch was only able to play one game, due to the use of a segmented LCD display being pre-printed with an overlay. The speed and responsiveness of the games was also limited by the time it took the LCD to change state. The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) controllers were based on the controls in Game & Watch, and Game & Watch Multi Screen version became the model on which the Nintendo DS was based. It could be said that the Mr. Game and Watch character’s original appearance was initially seen in the first game in the Game & Watch series entitled Ball.

What NeoGAF Says
“Mr. Game and Watch is a unique dude. I never played a Game and Watch game, but his crazy style and surprisingly high power endeared him to me. No other Smash character will cause as much surprise as Game and Watch.” - Toxi

“If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Antiques can fight just as well as newer fighters!” - RMS Gigantic

“The most retro of retro characters who wasn't "updated" to be included. He appears EXACTLY as he did in 1981, unlike other retro greats like Pac Man who are brought into the 3D era.” - Finale Fireworker

“His absurd weaponry, along with his 2D appearance make him a blast to play as.” - Growlie19

“2D zany character. What's not to love?” - BitStyle

“I don't typically play Game & Watch, but he's a perfect example of a perfectly realized character. Every one of his moves is a reference to some G&W game or another, and he truly stands alone with his unique animation style and flat model. He's just great!” - C.Olimar788

“cuz beep beeps and toot toots” - RedArremer

tumblr_low6qr6RZN1qlttqho1_500.gif

Congrats, Mr. Game & Watch!

Veteran Rankings Click on them to find out more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom