• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super World Karts -- Indie mascot kart racer -- needs GAF's Kickstarter help!

OnPoint

CGoS3jg.png

There's an indie kart racer in development and the game is nearing its final days on Kickstarter. It's grabbing properties from all across the current indie landscape and it's looking pretty darn cool. It could really use GAF's help getting there, as there's a little less than three days left and it's only about three grand short. Full disclosure, yes my game's character will be included, but I don't get any kickback or sales. I put this thread up because I believe in the game and want to see it succeed.

The dev's description: SNES style retro mode 7 kart racer fun for 1-4 players filled with some amazing characters from awesome Indie games. +New Battle Modes!

If this interests you, head over to the the game's Kickstarter and toss it a few bucks. It would be pretty awesome.

SCREENS:

Lineup stolen (mostly) from RockPaperShotgun.

• Mutt from Lobodestroyo
  • Turing from Read Only Memories
  • Tim Burr from Fist Of Awesome
  • Elena from Whispering Willows
  • Filo from So Many Me
  • the guys from Toto Temple Deluxe
  • Duck from Duck Game
  • A.R.E.S. from A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
  • The Runner from Canabalt
  • Bart & Clu from Aegis Defenders
  • Pip from Adventures of Pip
  • The Fishy from Shutshimi

Pudge

Instantly backed. This looks like a really cool project, and I'm surprised that more hasn't been done with the idea of Smash Bros type games for the indie scene. I would hope that they're not done announcing characters, but I'm all for crossovers like this of any kind.

OnPoint

Instantly backed. This looks like a really cool project, and I'm surprised that more hasn't been done with the idea of Smash Bros type games for the indie scene. I would hope that they're not done announcing characters, but I'm all for crossovers like this of any kind.

I definitely don't think they're done announcing characters.

Had added this to the Kickstarter thread OP a few days ago, not really a fan of kart racers but the indie lineup is awesome

Why are they using a high resolution environment instead of a pixeled one? Low res chars on high res environments looks awful. I hope they fix that.

PapaSeagull

Neo Member
Hi all, Paul the dev here, thanks for all the much appreciated positivity! Hope I can answer your questions quickly enough for you.

Why are they using a high resolution environment instead of a pixeled one? Low res chars on high res environments looks awful. I hope they fix that.
Hi, sorry that combo doesn't sit well with you, I know where you're coming from. I have the same track size as the snes mariokart, 1024x1024, but I chose to have 1080p resolution as it removed distance corruptions which occurred at lower resolutions, plus 4 player splitscreen demanded a full res. Character sprite sheets are 512x512 for each kart and would take up a lot more memory if they were more detailed and would lose the hd snes look I wanted.

Why use SNES graphics? Would have been WAY better if they at least did N64...
I wanted to make a mode7ish game, which is good as it wouldn't be able to have all the Indie characters I have now, which are mostly from 2D games, if I'd gone 3D, but would consider a 3D karts game later on (the game engine is really running in 3D anyway).

Oh damn, that's a shame.
Yeah.. Turns out I was actually talking to an unofficial Shovel on twitter that I thought was Official. Oops!

RM8

Interesting, I'd definitely buy it. But you have to admit the roster is pretty bland. It has basically zero of my favorite indie "icons".

teeny

Game looks fun, backed it primarily for the battle mode. It already looks like it's going to beat Nintendo's current offering simply by having arenas.

Hoping it hits that Wii U stretch goal, though would also love it on 3DS :)

PapaSeagull

Neo Member
Interesting, I'd definitely buy it. But you have to admit the roster is pretty bland. It has basically zero of my favorite indie "icons".
thanks Rm88, I've not been able to get in contact with every big Indie yet, hopefully as the game gets more noticed, and I become less of an unknown quantity, more doors will open.

The game looks awesome from the video. It's a shame it isn't coming to PSN because I would buy this day 1.
cool bigbaldwolf, cheers! It could be coming to PSN and other platforms later on depending on its sales performance on the launch platforms.

Game looks fun, backed it primarily for the battle mode. It already looks like it's going to beat Nintendo's current offering simply by having arenas.

Hoping it hits that Wii U stretch goal, though would also love it on 3DS :)
Cheers Teeny, yeah I was pretty taken aback by mk8's lack of battle arenas, I don't know what the thinking behind that was, maybe they have arenas coming in DLC?

The ๖ۜBronx;129296144 said:
I thought the same thing, but the video seemed much better. Like the visuals bar a few pixel-art type elements like the stars above the winner, but on the whole it seems quite well executed.

Backed.
thanks Bronx, glad it looked better in the video, there's still around 6months of work left on the game so I'll be cleaning up a lot of things between now and March 2015, most HUD and GUI elements will be completely replaced.

teeny

Cheers Teeny, yeah I was pretty taken aback by mk8's lack of battle arenas, I don't know what the thinking behind that was, maybe they have arenas coming in DLC?

Who knows with Nintendo. Personally, I would have thought it would be sensible to offer some decent battle arenas at launch, even if it was only two or something. At least then if they released DLC, people would still be playing / interested in the mode (though I also don't know how much playtime people do put into MK8 battles...)

Anyway, sorry for the OT post, good luck with your game, I'm very excited to watch development :)

PapaSeagull

Neo Member
The lack of babies and gold plated characters really kills it for me. /jk
haha! I knew I was missing a demographic! :p

Are you trying to say that super Mario kart wasn't fun?
Ditto that

Backed! Just to support local devs.
Cheers!

Looks like Mario Kart from back before Mario Kart became not fun.
I love all mariokarts but for me the fun chart line graph goes downwards slightly over time too.

RM8

thanks Rm88, I've not been able to get in contact with every big Indie yet, hopefully as the game gets more noticed, and I become less of an unknown quantity, more doors will open.
I know this is not really something you have the power to "fix" since contacting a lot of indie developers must be pretty difficult by itself, let alone getting them to accept. And in the end I'm going to buy your game because I like what I can see of the gameplay, which is what matters :)

Gameboy415

Hi all, Paul the dev here, thanks for all the much appreciated positivity! Hope I can answer your questions quickly enough for you.

Hey Paul!
I backed you guys a few days ago - the game looks great and I hope it gets fully funded!

Are you guys still looking for more Indie characters to add to the roster?

My team is launching a Kickstarter for our game early next month and I suggested that our character might be a good fit for Super World Karts during our meeting last night.
I'm still waiting to hear what our founding members think of the idea but if you'd be interested in collaborating I could certainly pass along some contact info! :)

There are two kinds of people in this world.
Those who thought SMK was really good.
And those who recognize that it's kind of crap to play now.

I can imagine why there is not Shovel Knight, the Limbo guy, Gomez, the Braid guy, Steve, Dust, etc. but anyway if you think about it, that would be a killer roster

SFME

PapaSeagull

Neo Member
By the way, Paul, is the drifting more like modern Mario Kart or more like SMK?
The drifting is somewhere between mk64 and mkDS

Hey Paul!
I backed you guys a few days ago - the game looks great and I hope it gets fully funded!

Are you guys still looking for more Indie characters to add to the roster?

My team is launching a Kickstarter for our game early next month and I suggested that our character might be a good fit for Super World Karts during our meeting last night.
I'm still waiting to hear what our founding members think of the idea but if you'd be interested in collaborating I could certainly pass along some contact info! :)
sweet thanks for the support! Right now in the final days of the campaign, to help shoot towards the goal, I've switched from free crossovers to a $600 character creator tier which you could use to get a founders kart for your character. :)

I love that HD SNES look, honestly. Only the sun feels a little too distracting.
sweet, I like it too! A lot of people have been blinded by my crazy lens flares on the sun, so I'll be toning them down a lot. If funded I'll be switching to UnityPro which has better handling for things like lighting. Cheers!

I can imagine why there is not Shovel Knight, the Limbo guy, Gomez, the Braid guy, Steve, Dust, etc. but anyway if you think about it, that would be a killer roster

SFME
That would be killer! Maybe in the future some of that list could make your post sound prophetic!? ;)

Top Bottom