• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My coworker might get fired for a racist comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWERD

when there are black and jews working there? really now?

sarc-detector-2.jpg

why would someone not want their daughter to marry a jewish guy anyways? I've never met a jewish person who wasn't well off.

oh.. The religious differences. I'm kinda dumb I've realized.

GorillaJu

You'd have a hard time selling that woman's comment as something that plausibly creates a hostile work environment for anyone.

You really wouldn't. Her comment is exactly the type that creates a hostile work environment.

If it were me I'd show some forgiveness for her on the first offense because firing is a really heavy punishment for a moment of stupidity but it'd be one warning only. I don't believe in zero tolerance policies because it may even be an opportunity for some positive change and introspection for her.

You really wouldn't. Her comment is exactly the type that creates a hostile work environment.

If it were me I'd show some forgiveness for her on the first offense because firing is a really heavy punishment for a moment of stupidity but it'd be one warning only. I don't believe in zero tolerance policies because it may even be an opportunity for some positive change and introspection for her.

Sounds a little too optimistic.

You see how ready people are to defend ignorance around here and they are ostensibly younger and haven't grown up with these prejudices.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OP, can you please give us an update? Was she fired? Please tell me she was instantly canned­. Pleaaaase
They are just words.
I think I should be able to walk anywhere and say whatever I want to say no matter who is around.
Everyone should be able to.
"I'm going to kill you in your sleep" is also "just words". Do you think saying this sentence out loud in a very threatening manner to a stranger should be legal?

My best friend is a coon.

Incredible.
Nothing more comical than someone going "WTF, oriental is wrong now?!", then talk about coons, then talk about saying "that's gay". The hole keeps getting deeper.

Heh I would have just chuckled a bit then gone about my day, I'm a New Yorker so I've already learned to be tolerant of other people's bull shit.

Into

What if he is black and a jew, like Lenny Kravitz? Is it like math where two supposed minuses equal a positive?

So the conclusion of HR and legal is that L will not be fired but given a strongly worded warning with conditions (which I am not privy to).

So the conclusion of HR and legal is that L will not be fired but given a strongly worded warning with conditions (which I am not privy to).

She deserves to be fired IMO, but still better than nothing.

Her comment about being able to control who her daughter dates is interesting.. and simply not true. Parents can try and help their children find nice people (regardless of race) but even if the person is horrible they have no say over whether their child can date them. Abusive relationships *maybe* being an exception.

Good to see she's not fired, but you can bet she's (rightfully) on a short leash. Not a good idea to vent your racist beliefs in the workplace and hopefully she's learned that.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Awful. Sorry to hear she wasn't fired.
They should have canned her ass, but at least it's on her record now.

And for the record, anyone defending her comments as somehow not being conducive to a toxic work environment is a dipshit.

Now go take your complaints about my statement to HR.

JeTmAn81

They should have canned her ass, but at least it's on her record now.

And for the record, anyone defending her comments as somehow not being conducive to a toxic work environment is a dipshit.

Now go take your complaints about my statement to HR.

NeoGAF ToS said:
A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum in order to keep the level of discourse high, and profanity should not be used when addressing others. Though NeoGAF is an international forum, discussion is to be held in English unless otherwise designated.

Keri

I knew it. The conditions probably include mandatory sensitivity training (which is good in theory, but probably useless).

Expected but still unfortunate

If the comment didn't create a hostile work environment for others or affect customers, she should be reprimanded and informed as to why the comment was inappropriate. You don't fire somebody for one stupid comment. Remember, employees have families which are greatly affected by their employment status.

Would you like some salve for your bruised pride

royalan

Sad to hear she wasn't fired. No way does she deserve to work there.

As a black person, I'd be completely uncomfortable in this environment.

Carnby

Part one of my personal story came true for the OP. Now I'm waiting for part two, when the person who told HR is labeled a snitch, and leaves the company before the racist.

forget about the Jewish and black employees. You have to empathize with the racist.

You shouldn't fire her cause that wouldn't make her less racist and that's the goal right? Not creating a healthy work environment no way is that what HR is concerned with, right?

royalan

forget about the Jewish and black employees. You have to empathize with the racist.

You shouldn't fire her cause that wouldn't make her less racist and that's the goal right? Not creating a healthy work environment no way is that what HR is concerned with, right?

Well, you know how it is? Us minorities don't have feelings worth considering. We just exist as tools to teach white folk how to be better people.

Don't forget, racists have families too. Why should they suffer because their provider let slip at work? It's not their fault their father or mother can't control their racist feelings just because they're in public!

I've been catching up through this thread and I just want to say this post is sooo good:
Losing your job for being a racist idiot isn't destroying your life.

Being a racist idiot, though, can and does tend to make the quality of other people's lives lesser.

It's weird how these defenses are so easily boiled down to "Look, just because I diminish the humanity of whole groups of people from time to time doesn't mean it's fair that you diminish my humanity based entirely on my belief structure and my observable actions towards others"

Most racists don't even give people a FIRST fucking chance based on nothing but their skin color, and yet when they get caught in public being an idiot, they're all about getting those third and fourth chances, and trying to lie about how this is their "first offense" and such. I guarantee if you've made it to your third decade on Earth, in the 21st century, and you're still harboring/believing in thoughts as basic and WRONG as "I don't want my daughter marrying no jive-talkin' black" then this is not your "first offense." This is just the first time (out of many) that you've been CAUGHT making life in your circle of influence worse for everyone else.

We'll see. Let us know who drops out first.
I think you should just stop now. Just because you got called out for being a ratty little snitch on someone who did not deserve to get fired does not mean everyone will deserve the same fate as you did. The "snitch" you are talking about is nothing short of a rockstar. He is loved by everyone, hated by no one. He has an awesome personality and is great with everyone, and knows the bosses before they joined the company. He takes crap from no one and has zero tolerance for racist fuckholes and their remarks. He is a manager that takes care of entire North America business, and has literally saved the company millions and millions of dollars in revenue, and I'm best buds with him. I don't like to brag about myself but I can safely assure you that I am in a similar boat, albeit on lower rungs. No one cares for L. No one likes working with her and no one understands why she's still around. Maybe you should stop projecting and get over your deeply traumatized booboo.

akira28

I think you should just stop now. Just because you got called out for being a ratty little snitch on someone who did not deserve to get fired does not mean everyone will deserve the same fate as you did. ... No one likes working with her and no one understands why she's still around. Maybe you should stop projecting and get over your deeply traumatized booboo.

could we hear more about this deeply traumatized booboo? I'm curious what Carnby's beef is.

could we hear more about this deeply traumatized booboo? I'm curious what Carnby's beef is.
Op, they probably won't get fired. and you'll now be known as a snitch. You'll be black balled and gone from the company within a year.

Source: personal experience while working at one of the largest cable providers.
It's hard to believe that there are grown adults today that do not understand that different companies have different cultures...

tirminyl

After reading this thread last week, a friend that weekend told me about his employee stating that he would "never let a black guy date his daughter". My friend called him a racist and the guy denies that he is. All I could do is shake my head. I've met him before and all that runs through my mind is that there are still people that think I am some sort of non-human piece of shit that should never date "their women" simply because of my skin color.

Carnby

I think you should just stop now. Just because you got called out for being a ratty little snitch on someone who did not deserve to get fired does not mean everyone will deserve the same fate as you did. The "snitch" you are talking about is nothing short of a rockstar. He is loved by everyone, hated by no one. He has an awesome personality and is great with everyone, and knows the bosses before they joined the company. He takes crap from no one and has zero tolerance for racist fuckholes and their remarks. He is a manager that takes care of entire North America business, and has literally saved the company millions and millions of dollars in revenue, and I'm best buds with him. I don't like to brag about myself but I can safely assure you that I am in a similar boat, albeit on lower rungs. No one cares for L. No one likes working with her and no one understands why she's still around. Maybe you should stop projecting and get over your deeply traumatized booboo.

Wow. That escalated quickly. Ouch.

Look, I shared an opinion that I firmly stand by, which was based on a personal experience, which I'm sure that I have made very clear is an experience that still hurts me. You trivialized it by calling it a booboo, and personally insulted me. In two separate posts infact. Not cool.

(I bolded the fucked up stuff you said. You want us to take your dilemma seriously but you think it's okay to belittle my very similar experience. Why?)

What I took a stand against was much worse than what happened at your company. And I got screwed. Absolutely screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom