• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Attempted to watch V/H/S 2. Had to abort it halfway through because for whatever reason I was getting motion sick. The first time I've ever gotten motion sick so that was kind of interesting. I am going to try and finish it tomorrow.

I was enjoying it for the most part. More than the first one at any rate.

It has some English subtitles. There are some very good reasons why it's not entirely subtitled, since the language barrier is a major function of the film, but I'm not at liberty to explain why.

Alright, I better not get the Japanese one then because who knows what English they included, if any. Thanks.

Ridley327

Alright, I better not get the Japanese one then because who knows what English they included, if any. Thanks.

I honestly didn't know that IFC didn't release it on Blu-ray in the US, which should be a crime, considering how much it benefits from having crystal clear audio and a great picture. I really don't get them sometimes.

I honestly didn't know that IFC didn't release it on Blu-ray in the US, which should be a crime, considering how much it benefits from having crystal clear audio and a great picture. I really don't get them sometimes.

Yeah. My small (but growing) giallo collection is all over the map format-wise anyway, so I'll deal with it.

Not having a BD or even a decent quality DVD of Blood and Black Lace really hurts though. VCI's DVD is an abomination.

inm8num2

#16 - Magic (1978)
upFE7cP.jpg

Great psychological horror with one of Anthony Hopkins' best performances.

Full viewing list

edit - also, RT compiled a list of the 75 highest rated horror films on their site.

4yWCtkG.jpg

14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)

So aside from a few exceptions my selections for the month had been disappointing so far and getting a cold I'm having trouble getting over didn't help. I really needed something fun to re-energize me and get me back on track.

Luckily The Stuff was up next. It's nothing that's going to change your life, but it's a fun throwback to old b-movies like The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Some effects that are worse than they should be (mostly really bad green screen composite shots), a couple weird pacing moments where the film seems to skip ahead in time are a little distracting, and it's not as re-watchable as something like Evil Dead 2, but the fun characters and dialogue make up for the flaws.

Good, silly fun.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)

Steamlord

#22 - Jigoku

That was incredible. This could easily have been a simple exploitation film, but the fact that the characters are well-developed and we see their emotional suffering as well as their physical suffering, and in such a way that one can't be sure which is worse, elevates it to a truly great horror film. Back to the violence though, that was some intense stuff for 1960. I'm impressed.

#23 - The Girl Who Knew Too Much

Not a particularly great movie, but extremely influential, and it had some nice tense moments even if the plot wasn't anything to write home about.

#24 - Black Sabbath

Fun horror anthology with great visuals, as expected from Bava. I also appreciate that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

#25 - Blood and Black Lace

And another Bava. Classic stylish giallo with some fun twists and turns. Nothing spectacular, but kind of a landmark for the genre and the earliest film I've seen that really captures the style that we associate with giallo films today, even if The Girl Who Knew Too Much is generally considered the first true giallo film.

#26 - Let's Scare Jessica to Death

It was pretty good. Nice and moody and atmospheric, which I honestly wasn't expecting given the lame title. The minimalist score was also very good.

Not the most original film but my enjoyment of the lead cast (Desmond Harrington, Eliza Dushku, and Jeremy Sisto) made this a pretty fun watch.

Not sure how this went on to become a series with six entries to be honest.

Loved this one a lot. The soundtrack, colors, and overall cinematography were just very pleasing to me.

I moved a few more Argento films to the top of my netflix queue so hopefully I enjoy those as well.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later...
14. 28 Weeks Later
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
16. May
17. Halloween (2007)
18. White Zombie
19. Halloween II (2009)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
26. The Sinful Dwarf (Dværgen): Being watching mostly cookie cutter nonsense, so tried to watch something genuinely fucked up. A Danish sexploitation movie, meaning it's pretty much softcore with a creepy dwarf skulking about (although one scene did have actual penetration, so I guess briefly it was hardcore). Had some surprising fun scenes and the dwarf was great. Not as messed up as I expected, but if it's something you're into it's worth a watch.

27. Tremors: I think I saw this as a kid but didn't remember much. Fun movie, though the DVD was of terrible quality. Liked the people in this and the worms were good stuff.

28. Army of Darkness: Another one I saw as a kid but remembered very little about. Just a fun movie that breezes by. Not that scary but some of the designs were great. I watched the theatrical version, but also have the director's cut so going to check it out some day down the line.

Oct. 16

Kissofthevampire.jpg

A young couple honeymooning in Bavaria are unlucky enough to have their car break down near the castle of Dr. Ravna, and are terrorized by the coven of vampires centered there. This film features typically solid Hammer production values for the period, and is interesting in a number of ways from a plotting perspective. Here, vampyrism is described as a "cult", there are rituals and robes and initiations.Professor Zimmer, drunkenly standing in for Van Helsing, seeks vengence for the loss of his daughter, and is not above resorting to black magic - "using evil against evil" - to achieve his ends. And there is an interesting but brief "The Lady Vanishes" sub-plot in the middle of the story. The movie is very well directed, with some impressive scenes and shots. The scene where Carl plays the piano for Marianne at dinner, and the lavish masked ball at Castle Ravna are particularly effective. The limited effects budget shows through in the conclusion with rubber bats on fishing line flying about everywhere, but this one is recommended nonetheless.

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other vampires week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)

16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)

-It was extremely predictable, but I still really enjoyed this one. It was cool to see a young Jamie Lee Curtis & David Copperfield in the same movie!

obin_gam

#17. Annabelle
OnBVl0G.jpg

Took a girl out to watch it with me at the swedish premier.
As a gentleman I let her hold my hand during the scary parts... which turned out to be a mistake. See those red marks on my hand - yeah, the pain of fingernails and clutching for dear life was more frightening than the movie itself, which was just OK. :p

Film 19 – Juan of the Dead (Amazon Instant Video UK)

I’ll never let you touch the harpoon again.

Pa9cDMS.png

I fully expected this to be a bit crap, thinking of it as a Cuban Sean of the Dead rip-off. I was wrong. It’s a flawed but engaging, well-acted movie and a pretty funny one too, at least when the humour is finding its source in the Cuban political situation. In particular, there’s a fantastic running gag about the zombies being anarcho-dissident enemies of the state that was still making me laugh just as much at the end of the movie as it did when it first popped up.

Sadly, much of the remaining humour is what used to be called coarse, and it’s considerably less effective. It’s also pretty un-PC, with an unwelcome thread of sexism and especially homophobia running through the whole film. While these ‘jokes’ never feel vicious or mean-spirited, they’re not even vaguely funny either, just weirdly anachronistic in a movie only made three years ago.

While the film emphasises the comedy side of things at the expense of the horror, there are still plenty of gruesome moments, including an entertaining mass decapitation plus a few messy individual zombie deaths. The soundtrack is pretty good too, and features the Sex Pistols version of My Way, thus automatically earning 100 bonus points right off the bat.

Verdict: Worth watching if you’ve got nothing better to do; not worth tracking down especially.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK): 1.5/5 The Friday series is one that I loved growing up. To be completely honest, I don't really remember them or I vaguely remember them. So I was excited to re-watch 4-7 (only ones on Netflix)....this movie killed my nostalgia. Maybe it was nostalgia or maybe this is bump in the series, but it was a bad horror movie. It was boring and the acting, even by horror movie standards, was laughable.

Looks like I'm the first to get into our second Mandatory Movie, except for the other poster who watched it before the time period.

12. Ravenous

I find the beginning strange because it seems rather comedic in style for a movie that's supposed to be about cannibalism. Speaking of which, it takes a would-be horror/drama similar to the real-life Donnor Party, and adds in a more supernatural element, turning it into the kind of movie I was expecting from the poster. Overall, I'm not one for the setting or topic, so I'll say the movie was decent, but maybe others might like it more.

Full list

here's a great list of all the upcoming "scary" movies and marathons on tv these next two weeks:

source

Friday, Oct. 17
Stephen King Marathon: "Thinner," "Silver Bullet," "Cujo" and "Dreamcatcher" starting at 9:00 a.m. on AMC, followed by "Firestarter" at 8:00 p.m. ET and "Children of the Corn" at 10:30 p.m. ET on AMC.
“Dracula 2000" at 8:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
“Wes Craven Presents: Dracula II: The Ascension” at 10:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
“Drive Angry” at 2:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
“Hellboy” at 4:30 p.m. ET on Syfy

Saturday, Oct. 18
Stephen King's "Rose Red" Marathon: "Part I," "Part 2" and "Part 3" starting at 9:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
“Tremors” Marathon: "Tremors," "Tremors 2: Aftershocks," "Tremors 3: Back to Perfection," "Tremors 4: The Legend Begins" all beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET.
"The Reaping" at 3:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Fog" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Scarecrow" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Finder's Keepers" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Fog" at 11:00 p.m. ET on Syfy

Sunday, Oct. 19
addams family
Chucky-thon: "Child’s Play 2," "Child’s Play 3," "Bride of Chucky" and "Seed of Chucky" starting at 12:00 p.m. ET on AMC.
"Casper" at 7:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Addams Family" at 9:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Uninvited" at 10:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Addams Family Values" at 11:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Reaping" at 12:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 1" at 1:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Let Me In" at 2:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 2" at 4:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Birth" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
Disney Pixar’s "Toy Story OF TERROR!" at 7:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Army of Darkness" at 8:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Monsters, Inc." at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Lost Souls" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" at 10:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Revenant" at 11:00 p.m. ET on Syfy

Monday, Oct. 20
"Ghouls" at 8:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
“Friday the 13th” Marathon: "Friday the 13th," "Friday the 13th Part II," "Friday the 13th Part III," "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter," "Friday the 13th: A New Beginning," "Friday the 13th VI: Jason Lives," "Friday the 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan," "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday," "Jason X" and finally the 2009 reboot "Friday the 13th" starting at 9:00 a.m. ET and continuing through Tuesday, Oct. 21 on AMC.
"Boogeyman" at 10:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Birth" at 12:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Revenant" at 2:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Hostel: Part 2" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" at 6:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Halloween" at 6:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Saw VII" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Hunger Games" at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Starve" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Zombie Strippers" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Hellboy" at 11:30 p.m. ET on Syfy

Tuesday, Oct. 21
"The Haunted Mansion" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"28 Weeks Later" at 6:45 p.m. ET and 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"House of 1000 Corpses" at 9:00 p.m. ET and 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC

Wednesday, Oct. 22

"Friday the 13th, Part 2" at 1:15 a.m. ET on AMC
"Friday the 13th, Part III" at 3:15 a.m. on AMC
"Violent Midnight" at 5:15 a.m ET on AMC
"Corridors of Blood" at 5:30 a.m ET on AMC
"Beetlejuice" at 6:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Exorcist" at 6:15 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare" at 12:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Survival of the Dead" at 4:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Land of the Dead" at 6:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Lake Placid" at 8:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Melissa & Joey" all new Halloween Special at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Baby Daddy" all new Halloween Special at 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Freak Out" all new Special at 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Last Exorcism" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"House on Haunted Hill" at 10:00 p.m. ET on AMC

Thursday, Oct. 23
"Return to House on Haunted Hill" at 12:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"An American Werewolf in Paris" at 1:15 a.m. ET on AMC
"Puppet Master" at 4:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Eight Legged Freaks" at 9:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Pulse" at 9:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
"The Haunting in Connecticut" at 11:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Lake Placid" at 11:30 a.m. ET on AMC
Stephen King's "Rose Red" Marathon: "Part I," "Part 2" and "Part 3" starting at 1:00 p.m. and again at 11:10 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Cujo" at 1:30 p.m. ET on AMC
"I Know What You Did Last Summer" at 3:30 p.m. ET on AMC
"Thirteen Ghosts" at 6:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" at 7:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Corpse Bride" at 7:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" at 8:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Scream" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" at 9:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Ghost Ship" at 10:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Scream 2" at 11:30 p.m. ET on IFC

Friday, Oct. 24
"The Woman In White" (1948) at 12:00 a.m. ET on TCM
"Scream 3" at 12:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines" at 8:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
"The Dead" at 10:30 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Ghost Ship" at 11:30 a.m. ET on AMC
"Zombie Night" at 1:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Rise of the Zombies" at 3:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
“The Omen” Marathon: "The Omen," "Damien: Omen II" and "Omen III: The Final Conflict" starting at 4:00 p.m. ET on AMC.
"Zombie Apocalypse" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Corpse Bride" at 5:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" at 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Dark Shadows" at 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family

Saturday, Oct. 25

"Beetlejuice" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Hide and Seek" at 1:30 a.m. ET on AMC
"Batman" at 7:30 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Friday the 13th" at 10:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Batman Returns" at 10:30 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" at 12:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Beetlejuice" at 1:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
Chucky-thon: "Child’s Play 2," "Child’s Play 3," "Bride of Chucky" and "Seed of Chucky" starting at 2:00 p.m. ET on AMC.
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) at 3:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Dark Shadows" at 3:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (2003) at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Addams Family" at 6:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Lake Dead" at 6:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Battle of the Damned" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"28 Weeks Later" at 8:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Addams Family Values" at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Haunting" (1963) at 8:00 p.m. ET on TCM
"Resident Evil: Extinction" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Hocus Pocus" at 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Hills Have Eyes 2" at 10:15 p.m. ET on IFC
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) at 11:00 p.m. ET on Syfy

Sunday, Oct. 26
"Corpse Bride" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (2003) at 1:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
“Tremors” Marathon: "Tremors," "Tremors 2: Aftershocks," "Tremors 3: Back to Perfection" and "Tremors 4: The Legend Begins" at 7:45 a.m. ET on AMC.
"Coraline" at 8:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" at 10:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"30 Days of Night" at 10:30 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Haunted Mansion" at 12:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Simpsons" Treehouse of Horror Marathon at 12:00 p.m. ET on FXX
"30 Days of Night: Dark Days" at 1:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Corpse Bride" at 2:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Battle of the Damned" at 3:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Addams Family" at 4:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Reaping" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Addams Family Values" at 6:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Resident Evil: Extinction" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Hocus Pocus" at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Death Proof" at 8:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"The Happening" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"ParaNorman" at 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"House of 1000 Corpses" at 10:30 p.m. ET on IFC
"The Fog" at 11:00 p.m. ET on Syfy

Monday, Oct. 27
"The Cursed" at 11:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Swamp Devil" at 1:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Reaping" at 3:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Fog" at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"House on Haunted Hill" at 5:00 p.m. ET on AMC
“Halloween” Marathon: "Halloween," "Halloween II," "Halloween III: Season of the Witch," "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers," "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" and :Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers" beginning at 7:00 p.m. Monday, Oct. 27 - Wednesday, Oct. 29, and at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 30 and Friday, Oct. 31 on AMC.
"Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III" at 7:15 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"ParaNorman" at 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Happening" at 7:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Casper" at 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Cabin Fever" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"The Crazies" at 9:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Lost Souls" at 11:00 p.m. ET on Syfy

Tuesday, Oct. 28
"Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" at 12:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m ET on ABC Family
"Pumpkinhead" at 5:00 p.m. ET on AMC
"Casper" at 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Army of Darkness" at 7:15 p.m. ET on IFC
“The Great Halloween Fright Fight” at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
"Dead of Night" (1945) at 8:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"The Exorcist" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Twice-Told Tales" (1963) at 10:00 p.m. ET on TCM
"The Last Exorcism" at 11:45 p.m. ET on IFC

Wednesday, Oct. 29
"The Haunted Mansion" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Kwaidan" (1965) at 12:15 a.m. ET on TCM
"The House that Dripped Blood" (1971) at 3:00 a.m. ET on TCM
"Torture Garden" (1967) at 5:00 a.m. ET on TCM
"The Haunted Mansion" at 5:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Addams Family" at 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Hills Have Eyes 2" at 7:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Addams Family Values" at 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"28 Weeks Later" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Insidious" at 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC

Thursday, Oct. 30
"ParaNorman" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"Ghoulies" at 1:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Ghoulies II" at 3:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"Creation of the Humanoids" at 5:00 a.m. ET on AMC
"The Addams Family" at 4:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) at 5:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Addams Family Values" at 6:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Saw III" at 6:30 p.m. ET on IFC
"It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC
"Dark Shadows" at 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Saw IV" at 9:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (2003) at 9:10 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Saw V" at 11:00 p.m. ET on IFC
"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) at 11:10 p.m. ET on Syfy

Friday, Oct. 31

"Beetlejuice" at 12:00 a.m. ET on ABC Family
"The Haunting" (1963) at 1:00 a.m. ET on TCM
"Saw VII" at 1:10 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Children of the Corn" at 8:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Hostel: Part II" at 10:00 a.m. ET on Syfy
"Cat People" at 11:00 a.m. ET on TCM
"30 Days of Night" at 12:00 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Poltergeist" at 2:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" Marathon at 2:00 p.m. ET on El Rey Network
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (2003) at 2:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"Dark Shadows" at 4:30 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Halloween II" (2009) at 4:30 p.m. ET on Syfy
"A Nightmare On Elm Street" at 6:30 p.m. ET on IFC
"Beetlejuice" at 7:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family
"Halloween" at 8:30 p.m. ET on IFC
"Casper" at 9:00 p.m. ET on ABC Family

Saturday, Nov. 1
"Dead Zone” (1983) at 12:00 a.m. and 2:15 a.m. ET on Sundance TV

Sunday, Nov. 2
“The Returned” Season 1 marathon at 12:00 p.m. ET on Sundance TV
“Halloween” (1978) at 10:00 p.m. ET on Sundance TV

Thanks for the list.

Anyone know how to go about watching "It"? Any platforms carry it? Kind of having a hard time searching for it due to the name.

Movie #17: Near Dark.

Enjoyable vampire film that doesn't really stick out in any way. I like how everything ended up building to the end but the ride to the end is a little bumpy with cliches and predictability. Overall though I think it is worth checking out. The bar scene and the shoot out are standouts. I have a feeling that Rob Zombie has scene and liked this movie because the last 2/3 reminds me of The Devil's Rejects a little bit.

WoodWERD

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow
14. Re-Animator
15. House on Haunted Hill (1959)

16. Phantoms - This one was pretty fun. I liked the imagery and some of the
dog scenes
were pretty intense. Worth a watch.

8e3Tt85.jpg

15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)

So it's mandatory movie time! Since this was Divius' pick, I didn't really know what to expect from Ravenous so I was really surprised to see how funny it was. It was refreshing having a humorous take on such a disgusting topic. Not being American, I'm not familiar with the Mexican-American war, but the setting made for an interesting change of pace and it wasn't really about the conflict either so it didn't matter that much in the end.

Overall, I thought the use of dark humor was great and the cast featured of a lot actors I enjoy. Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce were excellent. I was a bit worried David Arquette would stick out given the setting, but his silly character worked pretty well considering everything going on around him. I really loved the use of music in this one as well.

The only real negative I can come up with was I didn't care for the final piece of music. I didn't think it fit the ending. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Good pick Divius. I probably should have let you pick my whole month because I clearly didn't do a very good job.

Highly recommended.

10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)

Scream was being screened at a local museum with a special Q&A before hand with Wes Craven via Skype that was awesome. The audio for the movie was jacked so we watched it at my friend's after the Q&A. This movie is still fantastic and there's some really good subtle stuff in the kills. Ghost face does this cool hesitation them almost shovers with ecstasy going for the kill. Love it.

Monster Squad was playing as a midnite movie at the art house theater here. Another all time favorite with great dialogue and a pretty pimp Dracula. Watching this time there were some interesting extremely real elements they had in it like the strain on the marriage from the main kids dad being a cop. Someone did have a Stephen King rules shirt on. I'd love a sequel to this with the kids grown up and coming back together.

1. Aaah! Zombies!! (Hulu) decent
2. Candyman (Crackle) good
3. Silent Night, Zombie Night (Hulu) forgettable, not worth your time
4. White Zombie (Hulu) didn't get into it
5. The Blob (1958) (Hulu) good
6. Carrie (2013) (Amazon) bad
7. Student Bodies (Amazon) bad
8. The Battery (Hulu) great
9. Phantoms (Amazon) surprisingly good, Ben Affleck is the bomb in it
10. Stalled (Amazon) great
11. Night of the Demons (blu) decent
12. Ghostbusters (Vudu) perfect
13. Scream (Vudu) classic
14. Monster Squad (Theater) I want a sequel

NSycJWh.jpg

16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)

I'm still playing catch-up so quick review for this one.

I'm a huge Stuart Gordon fan thanks to Re-Animator so I've been s...l...o...w...l...y going though his horror filmography because sadly, there isn't too many. Dolls is my last full-length horror flick from him. All I've got left is his 2nd Masters or Horror and and his Fear Itself episode. I might move on to his thrillers (Stuck, Edmond and King of the Ants) but I don't know if they're worth looking into. Anyone want to vouch for them? I'm assuming it's safe to skip Space Truckers and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit.

Anyway, back to Dolls... Two groups of people trapped by a storm find shelter in a mansion owned by an elderly doll maker and his wife. A young girl from one of the groups begins to notice things moving in the shadows but by the time the adults begin to realize it's just not her imagination, it's already too late.

Dolls is pretty much what you'd expect. A fun little diversion that thanks to its short 77 minute runtime never overstays its welcome and works out great as a palate cleanser for a marathon like this. Another good time from Stuart Gordon.

Recommended.

10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)

cacildo

You people and the whole internet werent joking: Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is really terrible. Like, no reason to exist at all.

Except that the Silver Shemrock music is pretty cute

Scavenger

#20 The Fly (1958) 16/10 *first time viewing*
By no means a bad film, but there weren't that many scary parts and the build up was a bit too slow. There was a bit too much of a drama element that sucked up too much time.

#21 Shivers (1975) 17/10 * First time viewing*
Sex hungry zombies, that's all that needs to be said.

Got some Blu-ray in the mail today. I think I'll be watching Society tonight. Both films are region free with no problematic 50hz content.

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989) 10/2 *First time viewing*
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973) 10/4 *First time viewing*
#3 Scanners (1981) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#4 Hardware (1990) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#5 Videodrome (1983) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#6 Alligator (1980) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#7 Street Trash (1987) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#9 White Zombie (1932) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#10 Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#11 Lisa and the Devil (1973) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#12 Alica, Sweet Alica (AKA Communion) (1976) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#13 The Brood (1979) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#14 Day of the Dead (1985) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#15 Madhouse (1974) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#16 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) 12/10 *First time viewing*
#17 Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986) 13/10 *First time viewing*
#18 The Frighteners (1996) 14/10 *First time viewing*
#19 Re-Animator (1985) 15/10 *Seen it before*

Bonus film:
Cool World (1992) 11/10 *First time viewing*

Film 20 – Ravenous (DVD)

When I stepped inside that cave… the smell of meat cooking… I thanked the lord…

xBeIDu1.png

I was really pleased to see this was one of the mandatory movies, because it’s great to have an excuse to rewatch a fantastic film. And Ravenous is an absolutely bloody fantastic film. It’s an excellent story, beautifully filmed and the cast is brilliant. Guy Pearce and in particular Robert Carlyle are always great fun to watch. Jeremy Davies and Neal McDonough are also really good. Although I’ve seen it several times before I’d forgotten how amazing the soundtrack by Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn was. The main theme in particular is beautiful. Might have to try and get hold of it.

Blooper spoiler and minor early story spoiler:
When they are making their way through the woods with the patches of snow on the ground on the way to the cave, Robert Carlyle’s character stumbles and kicks up some snow which is clearly not snow but some form of material or cloth put down in snow’s place. Never spotted that before in all the times I’ve watched the film. Feel quite pleased with myself now.

Verdict: Just as good as I remember.
Wish I hadn’t looked up Jeffrey Jones on Wikipedia though.

Ridley327

Jeffrey Jones is still a funny actor, but yeah...

Anyway, I haven't been ignoring this thread, but I've been stuck on putting my thoughts to words on the film I viewed on Thursday night, so that will be up today along with yesterday's film and, with any luck, tonight's film.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)

17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)

-I've always loved the John Carpenter version but had never seen the original until now - it was pretty great!! The creature wasn't as impressive as the re-make's but the film was still extremely well-made for its time and I really enjoyed the alternate take on the source material.

obin_gam

#18. Dead Silence
N53eX9Z.jpg

Did not know this was a James Wan film so when I read that, I instantly put it on my to-see-list.
The story is passable, the main character is horrible. And the ending twist... ugh.

Anyways - it was very fun to see how Wan began his haunted house career. After you have seen this one, you can see all throughout The Conjuring how he learned from his mistakes and made them better, and took care of the things and ideas that worked and made them stable. Because there are things and ideas in Dead Silence which are good stuff, they're just executed very poorly. So while it wasnt scary one bit, it was worth it because of that. Also... does Wan have a doll fetish? Saw, this one, The Conjuring, all have evil dolls in them...

It’s Saturday night. The wife’s sister has domestic problems, so she’s round and the two of them have shut themselves in the other room with a bottle of wine, in order to better discuss the manifold ways in which all men are bastards. My mother is safely tucked away in her sitting room, getting busy with Strictly Come Dancing or possibly Holby City or something. Upstairs, my younger son is playing Destiny and my older son is playing Dead Rising. At least I hope it’s that way round.

I am therefore going to retire blissfully to my mancave for a reunion with some old friends…

UJfkBIZ.png

#18. Dead Silence

Snip...

Also... does Wan have a doll fetish? Saw, this one, The Conjuring, all have evil dolls in them...

The Saw doll Billy actually appears in Dead Silence, did you see him?

oVUSgbv.png

He’s apparently also in Death Sentence and Insidious, though I didn’t spot either of those appearances.

Dogtooth (2009)
Dir. Yorgos Lanthimos

dogtooth-one-sheet.jpg

I'd seen posters of this on Netflix before but never bothered with it until now. A seriously psychologically disturbing film, with themes of isolation, social conditioning, manipulation, and incest. Really was not expecting something like this AT ALL. It's very well made and definitely left a lasting impression. Minimalist dialogue but the atmosphere is incredible. If you enjoy the weird shit this might be up your alley.

Watched The Collection, Freddy vs. Jason, Blade, and Funny Games ('97).

Funny Games was the most intense....def worth a viewing - unsure if the 2007 remake is better or not.

Freddy vs. Jason is pure fun.

Blade - eh. it was entertaining. some neat concepts.

The Collection - definitely an enjoyable take on the maze/puzzle horror genre.... the ending really pissed me off though. well "both?" endings i guess.

Steamlord

Watched The Collection, Freddy vs. Jason, Blade, and Funny Games ('97).

Funny Games was the most intense....def worth a viewing - unsure if the 2007 remake is better or not.

Freddy vs. Jason is pure fun.

Blade - eh. it was entertaining. some neat concepts.

The Collection - definitely an enjoyable take on the maze/puzzle horror genre.... the ending really pissed me off though. well "both?" endings i guess.

Have you seen The Collector? The Collection is the sequel. The Collector is way more grounded than The Collection, though it's still pretty over the top. It's a much better movie, but I have to admit I enjoyed The Collection as well because it was so ridiculously goofy. When
Abby
died, I dunno, there was just something about the way it was shot that made me burst out laughing. And that combine massacre? Classic. I feel like The Collection is best viewed as a comedy.

Oct. 17

Vampire_lovers231.jpg

The first of Hammer's Karnstein trilogy, loosely based on the J. Sheridan Le Fanu novella Carmilla. Typically accomplished Hammer fare, with a decent script and decent actors to deliver it. My only complaint about this film is that Ingrid Pitt always seemed a little too "experienced" to me to work in the role of the apparently "innocent" Marcilla/Mircalla ingratiating herself into the households and bosoms of virginal heiresses... There are some interesting plotting elements suggested here that aren't really given time to develop; does this vampire fall in love with her victims, despite being compelled to feed from them until their death?

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other vampires week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)

White Man

I like Intruder a lot, too. Surprised to see it on Hulu. I recall having to hunt for it a few years ago. It's one of my favorite slashers. I can watch it without getting bored, which I can't say for most other slashers.

Film 21 – REC (DVD)

Tape everything.

WQL5eUU.png

So this afternoon I saw mandatory movie Ravenous and that was a rewatch, so I thought I’d continue the theme and spend this evening revisiting another couple of my favourite films.

No matter how many times I see REC it still gives me the creeps, especially the final ten minutes or so. It’s my favourite found footage movie by a considerable distance. And along with Let The Right One In, it’s one of the best examples of an international horror movie that Hollywood really didn’t need to remake.

REC2 is an excellent sequel, but the third film, a prequel, is not so good. Nevertheless, I’m really looking forward to REC4: Apocalypse, though I don’t know when it’s getting a UK release. I think it’s out in Spain on Halloween. I do know Manuela Velasco going to be in it, which is very pleasing. I like Manuela Velasco. I like her very much.

Verdict: Short, sharp and shocking. Top notch stuff.

GhaleonEB

Last night was my annual viewing of Carpenter's The Thing. Not a lot to say, as it's mostly been said, so I'll just note how excellently filmed it is. The framing and composition of the film is excellent through and through. It's tricky to film scenes with clarity and good staging that have lots of people in a small room together, but he pulls it off with style.

It's a treat every time I watch. And I still squirm in my seat at the thumb slicing. Dude getting his head munched by some giant icky thing? Sure. Slice your thumb open? Egads!

LfyDUSn.png

Starts off promising but oh my god are the characters frustrating. This is worse than the complete lack of communication that is common in horror films. This is actively covering up information that you have zero reason to cover up. And it shoots itself in the foot with its opening. Here's this movie about no one being able to kill a child, even in life-threatening situations (that I don't believe for one second), let's start it with a 10 minute segment on historical killings of children and just how goddamn easy it is to kill a child.1/3

BBC Christmas Ghost Story Edition

bkz2zMf.png

(Short) Nice adaptation of a creepy Dickens story. It has an almost cozy atmosphere I really like. 3/3

figl0ml.png

(Short) That's it? Really? Professor walks around and mumbles to himself the entire movie. Then in the end a sheet on a piece of string moves a bit. The End. 1/3

HXy7mRu.png

(Short) This one goes out with a whimper, but it has some fun treasure hunting puzzle solving on the way there. 2/3

jAbK5jw.png

(Short) Less of the treasure hunting, which makes it not quite as entertaining as The Treasure of Abbot Thomas. 2/3

In general, the chase sequences in the BBC adaptations look ridiculous and super cheap (I mean, they are super cheap). I think part of the reason The Signalman stands so far ahead of the others is because it doesn't have any chase sequences. Plus, I'm thinking Charles Dickens may have been a better writer than M.R. James. (Just a suspicion.) (It's also a bit more confined in locations which can help a low budget.)

fbi8Lsu.png

The bad part is it's more often hilarious than scary. The good part is it's more often hilarious than scary. 2/3

John Dunbar

correct about everything
29. The Thing (2011): Not as bad as I expected, but not very good, either. Biggest problem to me is that it seemed to assume that everybody is already familiar with the story so there's no need to put too much effort into setting up what the alien does, like for example the alien cells eating human cells and some fillings of course lead to the natural conclusion that the alien can make perfect copies of humans. Maybe that lady has just seen the movie, I don't know. Since this is actually supposed to be a prequel rather than a remake I don't like how the flamethrower just stopped working at the worst possible moment. That alien needs to play the lotto.

30. Ghoulies: Kind of liked what some of the creatures looked, but they were very cheap looking in motion, which was actually kind of charming. Middle of the road 80s creature horror, though I did prefer this to Critters.

31. Paranormal Activity: Jump Scares and Loud Noises: The Movie. Building tension can be very effective but this just had no subtlety. I guess the main flaw is that what makes those videos of furniture moving or strange shadows and so forth somewhat creepy is the thought that maybe it's real, while a movie cannot have that, and it's even so blatantly over the top with it all to make it all ridiculous. And of course it's another found footage movie where some asshole just refuses to put the fucking camera down.

Top Bottom