• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Why not? You should have just as much say as anyone else in this thread as to how you'd like the direction discussion to go regardless what part of the forum it resides in. Put it this way if conversation takes a turn I don't like the direction it's going in I'm not just going to throw up my hands and go 'Oh well it's a community thread'.

That's exactly what I would do, almost literally (><)
But you convinced me to rethink my position, if everything gaming related is in community now, we should increase our "community standards" starting from now!

Chariot

Destiny was on to |OT2| before the game even came out was one part of it (it also was far from the only Destiny thread in gaming) and the fact there isn't much to discuss before the game is out.

In the thread where it was announced a number of people did protest about the on release date part of the rule (things along the lines of; what happens if the person making the thread won't be able to upload it then, what happens if another member gets inpatient and makes their own |OT|...which was already saw with Bayonetta 1 and what about people who get the game a day early, as commonly happens in Europe).
People can dicuss news of the game. Newly released informations, reviews, videos, pictures, etc. There will be a threads anyway, why not channeling it all into one dedicated thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
When a thread dedicated to posting screenshots from, y'know, games, isn't deemed to be suitable for 'Gaming', then that particular section could be deemed to be poorly named or ill-purposed.

Perhaps all this thread shuffling is merely part one of a bigger restructure that'll make more sense when it's done?
Yep, that's gonna kill the screenshot thread. Goodbye anyone looking at your screenshots besides the other five posters.

I'm sorry, but what actually changes with this move to Community? Most of the threads that I visit and rarely post are already on Community anyway.

Zafir

Aww man. Now I'm going to have to venture into Community.

I've managed so long by just staying in the main gaming discussion area.

Knurek

I'm sorry, but what actually changes with this move to Community? Most of the threads that I visit and rarely post are already on Community anyway.

No new posters, generally.
Look at what happened to the Funny Picture thread when it was moved from OT to OT Community forum.

the steam thread should have been over here a year ago

also community isnt a death sentence anymore

set your subscriptions, youll never notice a change

edit oh boy top of page

Arthea

You see!?
It wasn't my fault..
I have stick and I am not afraid to use it.

it totally was, as you jinxed gaming side, no stick will save you now!

the steam thread should have been over here a year ago

also community isnt a death sentence anymore

set your subscriptions, youll never notice a change

edit oh boy top of page

since when? It's yet to be seen will it work as intended or not. You can't force people visit community if they don't want to, you know, especially new people that aren't feeling as part of any community yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
captureazpek.png

That's some high quality material.

All sarcasm aside let's see how it pans out. It's not like there are any superior alternatives to GAF out there.

At least you know exactly what those threads are discussing, which with these general purpose threads, is a lot less clear, and there are so many of them, they seem better fitted to being subscribed to and existing in a place that doesn't take up the front page of Gaming.

When a thread dedicated to posting screenshots from, y'know, games, isn't deemed to be suitable for 'Gaming', then that particular section could be deemed to be poorly named or ill-purposed.

Perhaps all this thread shuffling is merely part one of a bigger restructure that'll make more sense when it's done?

Things can (and probably will) change, but they seem to be better fitted to community. The purpose is really to post screens more than discussion (unless I'm mistaken), and they are very general threads that can clutter up the main gaming page over an indefinite amount of time (the entire year).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The problem with moving things to Community is that people don't check the Community tab, but that can only change if more interesting threads go in Community. Community shouldn't be a thread dumpster like it's perceived now, but an active section.

I was puzzled when I saw only the PSN, Live and iOS threads moving yesterday, but if more and more threads are being moved then I can see where the mods are going with this.

At least you know exactly what those threads are discussing, which with these general purpose threads, is a lot less clear, and there are so many of them, they seem better fitted to being subscribed to and existing in a place that doesn't take up the front page of Gaming.

AKA the reasoning behind Community forums. Which works until you notice that oh yeah, new posters (or old poster) won't frequent the thread anymore, which makes the stale and eventually kills the thread. Hence the nickname community graveyard.

Oh yeah, the ones active in the community thread should go and advertise the community thread on the related topics on Gaming (or OT) side.

Oh crap, I already posted this same post 5 hours ago

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just so you know 344.60 driver resolved the loading crash in Alien: Isolation.

I'm a little miffed about Dead Rising 3 being stuck with SLI-Single. The Arkham Origins bits work almost perfectly, so surely complete compatibility wasn't a tall order.

oipic

To be fair, this is the "Gaming Community" forum, so it's not as if the gaming aspect is abandoned completely.

True, that is a fair point. My comment, which may have come across snarkier than I had intended, had an element of playing devil's advocate to it.

I guess I was just suggesting that, if one were a new visitor to our shores, the names of the sub-forums (and what they each contain) could be a tad confusing.

One example doesn't necessarily summarise the whole discussion, but I certainly wouldn't, if I were looking for a PC screenshot thread, think to look in a sub-forum named (Gaming) 'Community' when there's another there named 'Gaming'... but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, we'll see how all these changes play out. Not a simple task or a decision that will have been made lightly, so I'm more than happy to back the judgement of our mods and admins - they generally do a terrific job.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, at least the GB thread now has a friend in community hell. Is it my fault? All the threads I subscribe to are now community threads.

Knurek

The problem with moving things to Community is that people don't check the Community tab, but that can only change if more interesting threads go in Community. Community shouldn't be a thread dumpster like it's perceived now, but an active section.

Well, nobody will be checking the main forum then.
Except for new visitors, who will see the GameFAQs Forums quality threads there and post appropriately.
So I guess mods are using the Gaming forum as a sort of idiot proofing for the obviously superior Community forum?

Ozium

Sorry for the rough wake up, but as you can see we're trying something new. Less general-platform-type year-round (via repeating monthly / when needed or just staying yearly in a thread), all-encompassing threads in Gaming, more actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads. Community isn't supposed to be a dead place where threads go to disappear, so maybe this will liven up the Community forums as well.

but things are happening on steam literally every single day of the week...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I never understood the reason why people hate the community section. When I do a search for something I search both in Gaming and Community, and I find what I want. And if it's a thread I go back to regularly I subscribe to it anyway and then I never have problems finding it.

So, why is being in Community such a bad thing again? I don't understand...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I consider all of you my community of gaming peers :)

I'm good with the change.

Also, happy Isaac Rebirth day everyone.
I seriously can't wait for Isaac to unlock. The only good thing about the wait is that I'm at work anyway, and it unlocks just as I get home, so it's not like I'm missing out at all. But when that unlock happens. Oh boy.

So is bitching about the bitching.

People aren't happy and voicing their opinions. But I guess that's not okay.
make a thread

pm a mod

or continue to prove that this thread is more about what you had for breakfast or how you picked up a ps4 or talking about forum changes than steam
I never understood the reason why people hate the community section. When I do a search for something I search both in Gaming and Community, and I find what I want. And if it's a thread I go back to regularly I subscribe to it anyway and then I never have problems finding it.

So, why is being in Community such a bad thing again? I don't understand...
change is bad and scary

Minsc

Gold Member
but things are happening on steam literally every single day of the week...

We'll see how it works out. Maybe things will return, I'm not sure. New things happening should get new threads if you want to discuss them. They do already get them anyway, so little should change right?

Dr Dogg

Folks I hate to be the voice of reason/contempt but what's done is done, it's not like this is the only thread ostracised and Minsc gave a perfectly plausible explanation as to why. No one knows how this might pan out but due to the volume of traffic the Steam thread usually generates I guess we'd be able to tell after a month what effect it's had. And I'm sure the forum staff aren't monsters and will listen to constructive criticism or suggestions if things don't work out. Don't pelt me with stones but let's get back to Steaming and see how it goes ok?

r3n4ud

make a thread

pm a mod

or continue to prove that this thread is more about what you had for breakfast or how you picked up a ps4 or talking about forum changes than steam
It's a big change for SteamGaf. The regulars want to voice their opinions so who gives a shit Steve. It'll pass when there's something worthwhile talking about Steam-related.

Nzyme32

What on earth happened here? The one place I get my PC gaming news, info and opinion, is now not apart of gaming "discussion"? I suppose this thread is large enough to be a community, but it is sad to see it relegated to a sub-heading. If the content is meant to be as meaningful in community, perhaps it should be appropriately marked, or at least that is my impression of things compared to the stellar "analysis and discussion" found in the main gaming discussion board

Game related threads go in Community.

Crazy opinion pieces and shrieking about frames per second go in Gaming.

y2OIn7M.gif

Yeah. I'm not really clear on how meaningful a change this can be with the content being churned out. If anything, I would have liked a separate board for all the hyperbolic hypothesis threads and console warring. Clearly some people like to do that, but it certainly seems to hide the actual news, reviews and articles that seem much more relevant

Sorry for the rough wake up, but as you can see we're trying something new. Less general-platform-type year-round (via repeating monthly / when needed or just staying yearly in a thread), all-encompassing threads in Gaming, more actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads. Community isn't supposed to be a dead place where threads go to disappear, so maybe this will liven up the Community forums as well.

A sticky on the main board would be a helpful indicator of such a direction change for folk like me who just had to wonder through page after page to work this one out. But I get the impression, this isn't really a direction change, but what should have been happening in the first place.

Although, I feel like a lot of content on news and updates for PC related stuff is discussed more in this thread, than the threads made for that purpose. Perhaps that is what will change now with this move.

It's a big change for SteamGaf. The regulars want to voice their opinions so who gives a shit Steve. It'll pass when there's something worthwhile talking about Steam-related.

I agree with this, because where the hell else do you discuss this? Should I make a thread separately or something?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

All of these threads, including ours, has just left Gaming and are now in Community.

Yes, they're obviously trying to revive Community, it's a major change affecting almost everyone. So if it doesn't work they'll have to reverse it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the confirmation everyone.

Hahaha I get that we're on a discussion board and that pretty much no topic is taboo on GAF in the realm of gaming (and those that are get stamped down quickly) but sometimes the quality of threads appearing on the front page serve nothing but to wear out my scroll wheel.

D'oh! Yeah that probably makes more sense as the GOG thread will probably have legs to keep it on the front page of Community (even saying that makes feel weird *shudder*). With the amount of (in)action this side gets you'd probably end up with 2 GOG threads on the same page for a while.

GoG threads will die a silent death in community. Minsc was really the only one keeping them alive on the main gaming forum.

What is the reasoning for the latter anyways?

Certain games like Destiny ended up with multiple OT threads before the game even launched so people on the eve of launch would enter a thread with an established ingroup. It's a poor solution to the problem though. They should have allowed an official preOT 1-3 days before to promote awareness of the impending release and allow people a chance to determine if they want to take advantage of any potential preorder bonuses. This combined with a mandatory new OT thread would have been a better solution to OTs suddenly appearing around midnight, when the forums are dead, with little annoncement.

Anteater

Folks I hate to be the voice of reason/contempt but what's done is done, it's not like this is the only thread ostracised and Minsc gave a perfectly plausible explanation as to why. No one knows how this might pan out but due to the volume of traffic the Steam thread usually generates I guess we'd be able to tell after a month what effect it's had. And I'm sure the forum staff aren't monsters and will listen to constructive criticism or suggestions if things don't work out. Don't pelt me with stones but let's get back to Steaming and see how it goes ok?

It'll probably last a few more pages since people are now starting to wake up, I think a discussion thread/sticky about this new direction would help.

Nzyme32

It'll probably last a few more pages since people are now starting to wake up, I think a discussion thread/sticky about this new direction would help.

Yeah my apologies on that one. I don't like changing my routine, so the immediate response was to ask what was going on rather than flick back through the pages to work out what happened

- probably why this thread got moved to community anyway LOL

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Henry Swanson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Risk of Rain -- MB-61C0FDE868D94BE2 - Taken by Chariot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom