• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

samn

Struggling to get just about 60fps on my GTX 660 and i5 4440. Even when it's above 60, it still feels stuttery and with a good deal of input latency. I could mess around with vsync and pre-rendered frames but I'm just a bit fed up at this point having to spend hours tweaking every PC game so it can feel halfway decent.

Andy, is the Farcry 4 GameReady driver available yet for download? I tried GFE and the site and the link in your article and it says the page doesn't exist.

ELCID777

Neo Member
I'm getting really sick of this hardware marketing bullshit that performs better on one manufacturer vs the other. I had an HD6950 for FC3 and could run it at pretty solid settings even in 1440p. If my 290 can't maintain 60fps on high I'm going to be pissed.

Someone in the AMD Guru3D forum is reporting that a new driver with Far Cry 4 optimizations is going to be released tomorrow, hoping it improves performance.

Edit:

It's confirmed by AMDMatt a few days ago over at Overclockers.

"Evening chaps.

We'll be releasing a new driver very soon which will offer some nice performance improvements over 14.1.1 in Farcry 4."

Hoping they actually release it tomorrow.

Gameplay runs fine about 40fps but cutscenes are dropping to 25-28fps i assume its the strong dof in the cutscenes is there anyway to disable it?

Naedtrax

Banned
This game looks incredible, will be waiting for the SLI fix in order to play it smoothly at 1440/120hz with G-sync. So much for bullshots, this game is 100% legit on PC

fc4_zps2c663eb6.jpg~original

How can we get rid of the mouse acceleration? it's brutal

I seem to not be able to use RTSS with any of the new Ubisoft games, older far crys and assassin's creeds work fine but with the new ones it just crashes the second i open it. Hmmm

samn

Apparently turning acceleration off doesn't actually switch it off.

Why do some devs go to such pains to completely screw up the primary input method? Just take the raw mouse input and leave it be.

Apparently turning acceleration off doesn't actually switch it off.

Why do some devs go to such pains to completely screw up the primary input method? Just take the raw mouse input and leave it be.

Yeah it's really annoying. It's really apparent as soon as you start moving, like the mouse is pulling against you or something. I'm sure there's a fix in the files somewhere that will get posted

The Cowboy

So, is there a way to skip the start up movies?, really getting on my nerves having to sit through them each time i start the game - this is related to PC performance because its a loading time tweak :D.

Skyzard

Banned
This game looks incredible, will be waiting for the SLI fix in order to play it smoothly at 1440/120hz with G-sync. So much for bullshots, this game is 100% legit on PC

fc4_zps2c663eb6.jpg~original

How can we get rid of the mouse acceleration? it's brutal

I seem to not be able to use RTSS with any of the new Ubisoft games, older far crys and assassin's creeds work fine but with the new ones it just crashes the second i open it. Hmmm

Awww yeah. 1 hour remains.

RTSS works if I disable in-game uplay stuff in unity.

Anyone know about the mouse acceleration he mentions? wtf?

SSBC should really have an official radius, rather than screen wide - those long distance shadows aren't at all accurate (far too heavy considering light, distance from character, etc), but they do kinda work.

When you're actually playing though, you don't notice, and the quality of the HBAO+ shadowing is so much higher.

I want a holiday.

Great guide

Fixed the mouse acceleration/smoothing issue. open GamerProfile.xml in your documents/mygames/far cry 4 folder. Search for "smoothness" and set it to 0

If any of the acceleration stuff is set to "1" turn that to "0" too. Pretty simple fixes and now everything controls well

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can confirm this. Getting horrible fps with crossfire HD 7970GHz. I can barely even break 30fps at just 1920x1200, ultra settings and 2xMSAA. By comparison, I could run Far Cry 3 with the same rig at 2720x1700, 4xMSAA, ultra settings and get a rock solid 30fps and solid 60fps at 1200p .

The only other game that has been so demanding on my rig like this is Unity.

That's why I hate all this "the way it's meant to be played" and "AMD Evolved" crap. One side is always going to get fucked with shitty optimization efforts or none at all.

On another note, does anyone know if AMD included a Far Cry 4 profile in the latest beta driver? I tried adding the game to CCC and it keeps telling me there's already a profile for this game, but I can't find it anywhere in the list.

It did not. Hopefully coming soon.

On a second note, get the latest patch. Improves performance a lot, but I'm still getting a lot of stuttering with textures set to Ultra.

OzPinoy

Banned
I will check back when I finish downloading DA:I

Here my spec:

i5 4590
16 GB 1600mhz CL9 DDR3
Gigabyte Z97X-SOC
Gigabyte 290 OC WFC
830 Samsung 128 GB + (840 Samsung EVO 128GB)
1 TB WD Black

aravuus

Not getting quite as good performance out of my GTX970 rig that I was hoping for, but it's good for the most part. Ultra 1080p runs at 60fps for most of the time, but driving around fast for example makes it stutter. Also the very early mission where
the enemies attack the starting village or whatever
made the framerate drop considerably.

Fixed the mouse acceleration/smoothing issue. open GamerProfile.xml in your documents/mygames/far cry 4 folder. Search for "smoothness" and set it to 0

If any of the acceleration stuff is set to "1" turn that to "0" too. Pretty simple fixes and now everything controls well

Oh wow, FarCry 3 felt weird to me. I wonder if there is a similar setting. It kind of sucked my desire to play through it.

BPoole

Someone in the AMD Guru3D forum is reporting that a new driver with Far Cry 4 optimizations is going to be released tomorrow, hoping it improves performance.

Edit:

It's confirmed by AMDMatt a few days ago over at Overclockers.

Hoping they actually release it tomorrow.

That's more reassuring. Glad you posted that before I updated to the current Beta driver

Skyzard

Banned

Awesome, nice.

Installing now...was done a while back but was having too much fun in AC:U.

AC:U sorta has just blown my expectations from big games now. Graphically anyway. Really immersive.

With my second 670 disabled (waiting on tomorrows SLI profile) the game is playing well above 30 at 1920x1200 w/

Trees relief disabled
Nvidia god ray enabled
Soft shadows enabled
Ambient oculsion = SSBC
Aliasing = SMAA
Textures = very high
Geometry = very high

All other options on Ultra
And
AlphaToConverge set to 0 in .XML

No complaints on this end. Looking forward to SLI pushing me over 60 tomorrow

At 1440p, GTX 980, i7-4770k, it runs perfectly playable with everything maxed, but I did drop the shadows to Ultra to smooth it out a bit. Mouse acceleration was disabled by default. I'll play around more, but it seems like bumping up the mouse sensitivity fixed most of my problems

ELCID777

Neo Member
Wow, the new AMD drivers have boosted performance massively. The only downside is they've disabled crossfire temporarily because apparently Ubisoft and them are working on some kind of performance patch.

At 1920x1200 with everything at ultra settings, plus 4xMSAA, I'm getting getting around 35 - 40fps with a single HD7970, before I wasn't getting more than 16fps at the same settings, pretty impressive performance increase.

I'm not sure if using AFR for crossfire still works with the new drivers, since they said it's been disabled for the time being, but I was able to get crossfire working with very good scaling before by using AFR mode. I was getting 60fps at 1920x1200, ultra settings and 4xMSAA and 40 - 50fps at 2720x1700 + 2xMSAA.

This game is some serious eye candy, absolutely gorgeous in motion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ta, added to OP.

Wow, the new AMD drivers have boosted performance massively. The only downside is they've disabled crossfire temporarily because apparently Ubisoft and them are working on some kind of performance patch.

At 1920x1200 with everything at ultra settings, plus 4xMSAA, I'm getting getting around 35 - 40fps with a single HD7970, before I wasn't getting more than 16fps at the same settings, pretty impressive performance increase.

I'm not sure if using AFR for crossfire still works with the new drivers, since they said it's been disabled for the time being, but I was able to get crossfire working with very good scaling before by using AFR mode. I was getting 60fps at 1920x1200, ultra settings and 4xMSAA and 40 - 50fps at 2720x1700 + 2xMSAA.

This game is some serious eye candy, absolutely gorgeous in motion.

uggghhh the trees. why hasnt ubi allowed pc users to use hraa? nvidia has txaa(assuming it works well in this title) but amd users are forced to use performance crushing adaptive aa(assuming it works)

Rip

So no 21:9 support. WTF! How does Unity have perfect support for Ultra widescreen and Far Cry 4 shits the bed.

ELCID777

Neo Member
uggghhh the trees. why hasnt ubi allowed pc users to use hraa? nvidia has txaa(assuming it works well in this title) but amd users are forced to use performance crushing adaptive aa(assuming it works)

The SMAA setting in this game takes care of the problem, but at the cost of excessive blur.

Ta, added to OP.

Others will have to try for themselves to see if it's completely eliminated it but it certainly felt more responsive to me

On another topic, what's causing that blur when you move? If you look at trees standing still they're jaggedy looking but when moving a blur comes across everything smoothing it all out. It's not motion blur either cos that's off

Oh wow, FarCry 3 felt weird to me. I wonder if there is a similar setting. It kind of sucked my desire to play through it.

I think it did. I remember hating the mouse controls for that at launch as well

Awesome, nice.

Installing now...was done a while back but was having too much fun in AC:U.

AC:U sorta has just blown my expectations from big games now. Graphically anyway. Really immersive.

Yeah I came straight from AC:U to this and while this would look fantastic any other time, it's hard live up to the lighting of AC:U

scitek

Anyone ever ordered a uPlay game through Origin before? I'm still getting Processing even though my bank account's been deducted for the payment of the game. Just wondering if that's something to worry about, or if it only completes once the game's released.

Smokey

Any word on single GPU gains? I mean it runs almost 60 all the time or pretty close for me on ultra already but there's the sudden dips and stutters that piss me off.

I'm sure once the official driver releases there will be some kind of improvement. It's why I'm downloading now, but waiting until these drivers tomorrow. That and I'm running Tri-SLi..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone ever ordered a uPlay game through Origin before? I'm still getting Processing even though my bank account's been deducted for the payment of the game. Just wondering if that's something to worry about, or if it only completes once the game's released.

The latter.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
1600p, game runs fast and steady with 2x290x.

Anyone have a fix however for the constant flashing? I bet its a driver thing, but would love to hear there is a quick fix :)

Skyzard

Banned
It's kicked me back to the start for the third time now with ingame uplay stuff disabled, turning it on and leaving msi/rtss off this time. Running in borderless window mode (ish, weird issues with that) since it's not skippable.

Top Bottom