• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Kezen

Banned
Some AMD guy on Beyond3d claimed isoline tessellation is used for Hairworks because it hurts AMD cards more.

Sorry for the off-topic but if there is one thing NVIDIA is good at it is marketing, and that includes their own effects :). The Hairworks authoring pipeline they have shown indeed seems fairly complete, but my (obviously biased although informed) opinion is that the effect in itself lacks in quality and performance. It really requires MSAA enabled to start looking OK, which I think is an unreasonable requirement to ask of (usually deferred) game engines. The use of isoline tessellation is also a performance hog (especially on AMD hardware where the effect can be up to 7x slower compared to equivalent NV parts). Finally the lack of a proper OIT solution can make it look like "spaguetti rendering" since without MSAA hair strands thickness becomes an issue (you may get away with it with very dark hair/fur though). I would encourage anyone to try out the fur in COD Ghosts and observe the quality of the effect when MSAA is disabled.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nvidia-game-works-good-or-bad.55289/page-17

I would not put that past Nvidia.

fade_

Getting great performance here on my 2x GTX 780 SLI - but I've got this awful black crush that is ruining the image to the point where it's sometimes even hard to see what is actually going on.

Hoping that gets fixed soon.

Nvidia drivers here and no crushed blacks whatsoever. Are you sure you're updated?

Mouse controls are indeed horrible. I spent probably an hour getting it playable. I did all the other recommended fixes, but also set sensitivity to 1.0 and use my mouse's dpi setting to control sensitivity.

It's still not perfect but this fix got it playable enough for me. Thanks!

Vuze

Ah yeah, Steam is downloading the patch for me too. Just left out of my latest session tho (well... blackscreen crash with only the sound working after about 90mins just like yesterday. They should really fix that...). Will give it a shot later, time to tank that framerate again after reaching a steady 60.

riflen

Nvidia drivers here and no crushed blacks whatsoever. Are you sure you're updated?

It's a bug related to SLI. I get the same thing on my system with two GPUs.

There are various other glitches with the SLI AFR mode, flickering shadows, incorrect shader rendering and if you drive a boat, the waves are rendered above the boat's model.
Hopefully they'll revise SLI compatibility sooner rather than later. The scaling is really great at the moment though.

Whats the best way to set a frame rate cap on an Nvidia gpu? I'd like to lock the game at 30 (single gpu) or 60 (when sli starts working) in an attempt to mitigate the games stuttering.
Get nvidia inspector if you don't already have it. Can cap FPS as well as do much more tweaking.

Something definitely weird going on with the texture settings. I have to put it to medium to stop these crazy fps drops while moving around, but nvidia recommends I set it to Ultra...

I am not at home and unable to test, but can anyone confirm that changing the SLI compatibility bits in Nvidia Inspector to the Far Cry 3 profile... fixes the black crush issue with SLI?

I came across this suggestion here.

Damnit, so I picked Far Cry 4 as my free game with my 970 and while I was able to purchase the game with the voucher and preload fine, the game is still locked for me, asking me to redeem the activation key. When I try to do so, it says the key is already in use...contacted Uplay support last night but who knows how long until I get a response :(

scitek

I have it running at a pretty locked 60fps using Afterburner to cap it (OSD off or it crashes), and in-game Triple buffering/Vsync. Turning shadows down to high netted me an additional 7-9 fps in heavily shadowed areas where it would dip below 60 on anything higher, and it really isn't noticeable quality-wise. Turning HBAO+ to SSBC also got me another 8-9fps (I still have HBAO+ on as I didn't need the extra frames), so I'd try turning those two settings down before anything else.

The only problem I'm having now is the stuttering while driving. It's pretty bad, and it seems like it's just streaming new assets in, so I don't know if anything can be done about it. While on foot, it runs really smoothly, though. Only occasionally stuttering in the same way.

Damnit, so I picked Far Cry 4 as my free game with my 970 and while I was able to purchase the game with the voucher and preload fine, the game is still locked for me, asking me to redeem the activation key. When I try to do so, it says the key is already in use...contacted Uplay support last night but who knows how long until I get a response :(

Check your email from ubishop. I had the same thing and it turned out the code was in an email from them and I think was different than the one used to preload.

Damian.

Banned
The only problem I'm having now is the stuttering while driving. It's pretty bad, and it seems like it's just streaming new assets in, so I don't know if anything can be done about it. While on foot, it runs really smoothly, though. Only occasionally stuttering in the same way.

Do you know if you're hitting any kind of VRAM wall when you get the driving stutter? Using a 970 with a comfortable amount of VRAM to spare, I haven't made it to a point where I can drive yet, but I do get slight loading hitches when moving between areas. I guess it's worse while driving, just like in Watch Dogs?

Check your email from ubishop. I had the same thing and it turned out the code was in an email from them and I think was different than the one used to preload.

the ubishop email key was the same as the one I got in the purchase confirmation though. I screenshotted both and sent it to support, hopefully they can sort it out

garath

Has anyone with an Nvidia code that couldn't access the game yesterday been able to launch the game today?

Yes. But I had submitted a ticket to UBI last night. Their first message stated that they know of a problem and are working on it. They sent me a message this morning stating that they've unlocked it for my account. I checked before I left for work and I had the wonderful PLAY button.

Vitor711

I have it running at a pretty locked 60fps using Afterburner to cap it (OSD off or it crashes), and in-game Triple buffering/Vsync. Turning shadows down to high netted me an additional 7-9 fps in heavily shadowed areas where it would dip below 60 on anything higher, and it really isn't noticeable quality-wise. Turning HBAO+ to SSBC also got me another 8-9fps (I still have HBAO+ on as I didn't need the extra frames), so I'd try turning those two settings down before anything else.

I'm having huge stuttering as well. Haven't tried lowering textures to medium though but, since my 980m has 8gb of ram and I'm running off an ssd, it really shouldn't be an issue. Game runs maxed at 1920x1080 between 45 to 60 fps. Usually in the middle of the two. But the stuttering makes my fps drop by 10 or 15 for a second or two before climbing back up.

Also, anyone else having huge issues with borderless windowed mode? It locks the fps at 40 to me which is jarring. Changing the refresh rate settings doesn't help either.

That and my gpu utilization drops to 70% in the first main village. Nowhere else does it do this. Super weird.

A potentially great port but not without issues. Dragon Age runs similarly well but without any of the above problems.

Dries

Again stuttering? This is unbelieveable. Far Cry 3 had EXACTLY the same problem. Have they not learned anything? I can't believe it. How can they do this?

Yes. But I had submitted a ticket to UBI last night. Their first message stated that they know of a problem and are working on it. They sent me a message this morning stating that they've unlocked it for my account. I checked before I left for work and I had the wonderful PLAY button.

O glad to hear they fixed your account, hoping to get a speedy resolution in my case then

Damian.

Banned
Again stuttering? This is unbelieveable. Far Cry 3 had EXACTLY the same problem. Have they not learned anything? I can't believe it. How can they do this?

They obviously don't care enough to put forth the effort to fix it since we will all buy it. Complaints are in one ear and out the other for them since they already have our money. :(

My question would be, why does Ubisoft see obvious issues like this and never attempt to remedy it? Do all the thousands of developers they staff play the games without saying a word about it? Stuttering drives me fucking insane, how could it not bother them?

They obviously don't care enough to put forth the effort to fix it since we will all buy it. Complaints are in one ear and out the other for them since they already have our money. :(

My question would be, why does Ubisoft see obvious issues like this and never attempt to remedy it? Do all the thousands of developers they staff play the games without saying a word about it? Stuttering drives me fucking insane, how could it not bother them?

You play games for pleasure. They make games for money.
Less effort, less time, more money.
Simple as that.

Of course there will be individual who wants to make a quality product, but the decision is not in their hands.

zXe

Guys for the -skipinto command, where exactly do I add this line on my far cry 4 short cut, won't let me paste it in the target line?

Guys for the -skipinto command, where exactly do I add this line on my far cry 4 short cut, won't let me paste it in the target line?

The target line should be something like this

"J:\Somewhere\Far Cry 4\bin\FarCry4.exe"

just add -skipintro outside like this

"J:\Somewhere\Far Cry 4\bin\FarCry4.exe" -skipintro

If you're using steam, right click on the game in the library, go to properties then click on set launch options. Just write -skipintro into the bar.

zXe

The target line should be something like this

"J:\Somewhere\Far Cry 4\bin\FarCry4.exe"

just add -skipintro outside like this

"J:\Somewhere\Far Cry 4\bin\FarCry4.exe" -skipintro

If you're using steam, right click on the game in the library, go to properties then click on set launch options. Just write -skipintro into the bar.

That's really helpful cheers, I swear I thought I did it right, but it didn't like it. But that worked fine.

stufte

You'll be the first. Have you played long enough for the day/night cycle to complete? You'll notice when you can't see shit.

I don't think so, though shouldn't they be apparent in the shadows? Or indoors like the very beginning of the game? I'll forward time at the safehouse tonight and see if shit is bad.

rBose

Banned
If you set it to 0, the game will use a set of textures ranging from worst to best for rendering the scene from far to close, with the "best" texture defined by the texture setting, I think.

Thanks to Maldo for explaining it some pages back. Correct me if I understood incorrectly.

DisableLoadingMipO set to 0 is the default setting which means the Mip is Enabled, setting the Mip to 1 disables it,

I posted 2 demonstration pics showing the texture quality a page back.

Both cases had ULTRA textures

DisableLoadingMipO = 0

http://i.imgur.com/2kgl9iR.jpg

DisableLoadingMipO = 1

http://i.imgur.com/QBkflRn.jpg

You'll be the first. Have you played long enough for the day/night cycle to complete? You'll notice when you can't see shit.

I have no idea how but I fixed my shadow issues with SLI.

After spending a ton of time trying to fix it I gave up, disabled SLI and played on a single card for a while. Eventually decided I wanted to try and fix it again and once I re-enable the second card it just worked.

riflen

After spending a ton of time trying to fix it I gave up, disabled SLI and played on a single card for a while. Eventually decided I wanted to try and fix it again and once I re-enable the second card it just worked.

Noice! I'll see if this can be reproduced.

Was there a game update or something... perhaps?

GTX680, i5 3.33ghz, 8gb

Best option is to play it on the High preset, fullscreen, triple buffering off?

Currently getting 55-60fps

What are people using with a similar setup as mine?
Wondering if I can get better performance/graphics with different settings.

pottuvoi

Banned
Omission of HRAA on PC is puzzling and disappointing. I was really really looking forward to seeing how it ended up working out.
Developers do not have access to all abilities of GPUs thus it is not possible for them to create HRAA on PC using DX or GL. (Although it might be possible with Mantle.)

I am not at home and unable to test, but can anyone confirm that changing the SLI compatibility bits in Nvidia Inspector to the Far Cry 3 profile... fixes the black crush issue with SLI?

I came across this suggestion here.

This is useless. With Farcry 3 Sli profile there're some texture glitch, flickering and SMAA issue is still current and obliviously...stuttering. so, that is not the solution

ELCID777

Neo Member
It's a bug related to SLI. I get the same thing on my system with two GPUs.

There are various other glitches with the SLI AFR mode, flickering shadows, incorrect shader rendering and if you drive a boat, the waves are rendered above the boat's model.
Hopefully they'll revise SLI compatibility sooner rather than later. The scaling is really great at the moment though.

Not just SLI, I'm experiencing the same issue with Crossfire as well. So it's probably dual GPU related.

Edit:

So is Hairworks finally out?

ELCID777

Neo Member

Yeah, this shit is ridiculous. I'm getting annoying microstutters even with a singe GPU, just like Far Cry 3. It seems this game suffers from the same issues.

Latest stuttering fix I'm hearing from the afflicted among us is to adjust the EditorGamerProfile.xml to:

GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1"

I'm not going to be home to try it for a bit, but the word of the day with this fix is (supposedly):

"Butter"

Top Bottom