• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbone ever getting Transistor?

I would imagine so - with no reason other than Supergiant Games are not a big studio and Bastion came out on Everything including Playstation consoles in the future so they are not against having their games on Xbox clearly. Contracts signed and all that and when they time out - over it comes I am sure.

RPGam3r

I'm sadly going to admit I want that parity clause gone so I can play a lot of these games on X1 instead of my PS4 simply because I want more achievements.

Oh, I've made precisely the right purchasing decision considering my tastes, needs, and even my ideas about where this industry should be heading - sans Microsoft's initial stance on indies, which would by now be almost completely rectified were it not for the utterly pointless parity clause.
Again, there are other considerations as well, such as finite development resources and return on investment, as mentioned earlier in the thread by kasavin. Are you better off porting your game to a weaker, unpopular, harder to code, developer- and gamer-hostile platform, or are you better off putting those resources in to developing DLC or a sequel on the powerful, popular, easy to code, friendly platform? (Remember, launch parity is not the only parity clause MS maintain. Devs are expected to deliver feature parity as well.)

You said that all indies should just continue ignoring Microsoft even if they drop the parity clause. How exactly would indies publishing their games on Xbox, in addition to all the other platforms, be punishing "the rest of you"? Even ignoring the gamers, who are completely innocent in all this (people choose their platforms for a myriad of reasons, and for most of them buying a console is not a political act), how would leaving money on the table help developers?
You're conflating two issues here. My question to devs was, why would you want to associate with someone who has made it quite clear that they have no qualms about mistreating you if it helps them get ahead, even if they're not actively mistreating you at the time? I guess my question applies equally to gamers as well.

WRT hurting "the rest of us," I was referring to the parity clauses' goal of actively stifling development and innovation on rival platforms.

Even if indies stop supporting a platform, big publishers may keep it going.
Every blizzard begins with a single snowflake. I was talking about all developers collectively, not just indies. And it's not just indies who are starting to stray. Ono made it fairly clear he was glad to finally be free of Microsoft's arbitrary restrictions. I suspect he's not the only one who feels that way.

Back when PlayStation's reign was only beginning, Sony was notorious for being unfriendly toward developers of 2D games, since they were trying to put their console's 3D superiority front and center.
To me, that sounds like, "Sorry, but that's not the type of content we're looking for at this time," rather than, "Fuck you; you'll make what we say."

It all culminated in Kaz Hirai making a bizarre statement that PS3 was made difficult to work with on purpose.
Once again, that is a complete mischaracterization of what was actually said, as Kaz said nothing of the sort. What he actually said was they designed the PS3 to give maximum potential to developers, and as a result of that decision, there were some extra hoops to jump through before you could reach said potential. Being the absolute best you can be typically requires extraordinary effort; that's why so few people actually achieve it.

"Get a second job"? Also never said by Sony. Sony lied about Killzone? Once again, never happened. It seems you would be well served by paying more attention to the details.

I hope I don't have to remind you of how consumer-unfriendly Kutaragi's PS3 was in its infancy
I remember Ken kicking in over $300 towards my launch-day, $499 PS3, which was an even bigger loss than he took on the $599 model. Sorry, but that doesn't strike me as particularly unfriendly.

Nintendo was just as bad toward developers in the 80s and early 90s when they ruled supreme, and they still haven't completely adjusted, which cost their recent consoles (and their owners) dearly when it came to third party software support.
As I've said, I don't follow Nintendo closely, so you'd need to be more specific than that. Was their mistreatment of developers similar to Sony's; gently nudging them towards the future of game development and providing them with powerful-if-inscrutable hardware?

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's handling of developers is better than most in the industry. Originally, PlayStation development was handled by a department at Sony Music, who were already accustomed to treating artists like artists rather than assembly line workers. That same attitude seems to have carried over nicely to WWS.

The fact is all big companies are responsible for some good things and some bad things. Bad things should be punished, but wishing for their complete demise is wrong, and it would probably lead to more bad than good in the long run. All of them need potent competitors to keep them in check, because power corrupts, and it corrupts everyone.
Sorry, I know MS supporters like to say that all companies are equally evil by definition, but that simply isn't true of companies any more than it's true of the people who work there.

I'm sadly going to admit I want that parity clause gone so I can play a lot of these games on X1 instead of my PS4 simply because I want more achievements.
The parity clause sucks no matter what your preferred platform is. As someone who will probably never get an XBO1, I want it gone because it hurts small developers and because it almost certainly delays games I would have gotten sooner on PS4.

You're conflating two issues here. My question to devs was, why would you want to associate with someone who has made it quite clear that they have no qualms about mistreating you if it helps them get ahead, even if they're not actively mistreating you at the time? I guess my question applies equally to gamers as well.

I'm not conflating anything, I was just reminding you of your initial post that started this conversation. I was responding to that specific claim, that everyone should continue ignoring Xbox One even if Microsoft were to drop the parity clause. In your reply you just glossed over my response (postulating that Xbox gamers deserve to suffer for their "poor purchasing decision" and supporting the devil or some such nonsense), and changed the conversation to something else.

WRT hurting "the rest of us," I was referring to the parity clauses' goal of actively stifling development and innovation on rival platforms.

You won't see me defending the parity clause because I believe it's bad for everyone, and it should be dropped, even though I think you are reaching here. However...

To me, that sounds like, "Sorry, but that's not the type of content we're looking for at this time," rather than, "Fuck you; you'll make what we say."

Once again, that is a complete mischaracterization of what was actually said, as Kaz said nothing of the sort. What he actually said was they designed the PS3 to give maximum potential to developers, and as a result of that decision, there were some extra hoops to jump through before you could reach said potential. Being the absolute best you can be typically requires extraordinary effort; that's why so few people actually achieve it.

"Get a second job"? Also never said by Sony. Sony lied about Killzone? Once again, never happened. It seems you would be well served by paying more attention to the details.

I remember Ken kicking in over $300 towards my launch-day, $499 PS3, which was an even bigger loss than he took on the $599 model. Sorry, but that doesn't strike me as particularly unfriendly.

...these contain some ridiculous excuses complemented with a nice dose of revisionism and an enviable demonstration of strawmanship. It's rather evident that you are unable to admit that Sony has ever done something wrong in this regard, and having that in mind, this discussion ends here in all its futility. Good day, sir.

Noobcraft

First off. This is gold. What an absolutely obsurd way to justify the price (and your purchase) of the launch PS3. I was actually in the middle of a well thought out response to everything you wrote, yeah the parity clause is a bad clause, but this whole segment made me realize that there is absolutely no point lol.

First off. This is gold. What an absolutely obsurd way to justify the price (and your purchase) of the launch PS3. I was actually in the middle of a well thought out response to everything you wrote, yeah the parity clause is a bad clause, but this whole segment made me realize that there is absolutely no point lol.
Sorry, but what's absurd about being happy I was able to pick up an $800 piece of cutting edge tech for less than $500? What's absurd about pointing out the fact they offered a cheaper model at a higher loss doesn't exactly convey the "Fuck you; you'll pay what we say" attitude normally ascribed to them?

Noobcraft

Sorry, but what's absurd about being happy I was able to pick up an $800 piece of cutting edge tech for less than $500? What's absurd about pointing out the fact they offered a cheaper model at a higher loss doesn't exactly convey the "Fuck you; you'll pay what we say" attitude normally ascribed to them?
Let's be honest though, the only thing cutting edge about the PS3 was the bluray drive and the server grade CPU (which turned out being pretty bad for games). I got mine (80GB MGS4 bundle) for I think $400 with the 4 USB ports and WiFi built in. Sony was really quick to cut down on the price too by dropping things like backwards compatibility, USB ports, the SD/memory stick reader, capacitive buttons (on the slim model) and so on.

There's no reason Sony should have had to lose $300 per unit on launch PS3's, especially considering that for the better part of the generation multiplatform titles performed notably worse on their console. But this is getting way off topic.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It has around 5 billion
2JBc9oZ.jpg

Knowing your post history that might not be a joke.

Let's be honest though, the only thing cutting edge about the PS3 was the blurry drive and the server grade CPU
Which were the primary reasons it was so expensive, yes.

(which turned out being pretty bad for games).
Actually, it turned out to be pretty great for games, but kind of a PITA if you needed them to run on other platforms too.

Sony was really quick to cut down on the price too by dropping things like backwards compatibility, USB ports, the SD/memory stick reader, capacitive buttons (on the slim model) and so on.

There's no reason Sony should have had to lose $300 per unit on launch PS3's, especially considering that for the better part of the generation multiplatform titles performed notably worse on their console. But this is getting way off topic.
Because they thought stuff like backwards compatibility and card readers would be important to people, but as it turned out, general affordability was more important to most. Ken basically built the Bugatti Veyron of consoles, and like Bugatti, sold it significantly below cost just so more people could have it. In hindsight, it may not have been the wisest business decision he ever made, but I ended up with a pretty sweet piece of tech because of it, and I completely disagree with those who attempt to portray his decision as a "dick move." Ken wasn't looking to fuck me over. On the contrary, he (inadvertently) fucked himself over for my benefit.

Thanks, Ken. You rock. Don't' let the haters get you down. <3

I don't imagine that porting the game over to XB1 would be that time consuming since it has the same architecture as the PS4.

It's not that simple. Most indie developers aren't building a game directly to a system's architecture; they're using an engine like Unity that supports various platforms. If that engine supports one platform and not the other, then porting it to the other platform could be a big undertaking. Don't know if that's the case with Transistor, but it's a possibility.

SURGEdude

I'll just add my voice to those who think the parity clause is dumb as hell. Now personally it doesn't affect me much between Steam sales and my enduring love for remote play. So in my case indies on my Bone are mostly limited to Games with Gold. But it seems bizarrely punitive and unfair to both developers and gamers who are interested in investing in the Xbox platform. Phil needs to change this before serious damage is done if it isn't already.

It's not that simple. Most indie developers aren't building a game directly to a system's architecture; they're using an engine like Unity that supports various platforms. If that engine supports one platform and not the other, then porting it to the other platform could be a big undertaking. Don't know if that's the case with Transistor, but it's a possibility.

Transistor was built using Monogame which I believe at the time had no xbox one support.
Does it even have xbox one support now??

It's a no brainer that the parity clause is doing more harm than good, and I'm hoping it gets axed sometime this year.

Small devs come up with a bunch of fun and unique games.

(still praying for a lethal league port, game gives me hype attacks)

It's a no brainer that the parity clause is doing more harm than good, and I'm hoping it gets axed sometime this year.
They haven't given up on the parity clauses for the same reason they haven't given up on trying to buy market share; they're still in it to win it.

Yes, the clauses are currently hurting MS, but once MS reach "significant" market share, then they'll start to hurt Sony instead, which is the entire point of forced parity. To give up on forced parity is a tacit admission they'll never achieve "significant" market share. If they truly believe they can someday become too big to be ignored, then they must equally believe that the parity clauses will start paying dividends on that day. Forced parity is an integral part of their overall business plan, so they won't give up on it until they give up on the whole project.

Top Bottom