• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of Fire 2 is finally available in English.

Hobbun

manueldelalas said:
Yes there is... but it is not easy nor cheap. Your best option is to buy the original game, then hook up your PC to your TV and play it through an emulator. Also, get a good gamepad (i.e. not the 360 one (shitty D-pad)).

Some gaffers do it, if you ask me, I'll say it is not worth the trouble...

I agree, it's too much hassle. I already said I guess I am stuck with the shitty translation on my VC.

:lol

The fact that I don't remember the translation being this bad makes me wonder if I was a severely retarded child. I don't know what we could realistically expect when you take that horrendous cover art into consideration, though.

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
mwen panse mal angle yo pa angle, Bondye! pa ase bon pou merde
Let's just say that I had more trouble understanding that Jamaican guy in GTAIV than reading through BoF2's "translation". Creole languages are fucking fascinating, though.

Metal Gear?! said:
No, it's not. It is Engrish.
touché :lol

JodyAnthony said:
:lol i always wanted to know what eggbeater was all about

eggbeater was actually when the enemy attacked twice in one turn. Maybe the second attack was a nut shot.

Going back to it it almost feels like I'm reading the original japanese in some parts, not a terrible translation (Trubo / Torubo anyone?)

theinfinityissue said:
:lol
The fact that I don't remember the translation being this bad makes me wonder if I was a severely retarded child. I don't know what we could realistically expect when you take that horrendous cover art into consideration, though.

You and me both. Holy crap, it's horrible. And BoF2 is my favorite one in the series (3 and 4 didn't click with me as much). That said, Dragon Quarter is still on my backlog.

I'll definitely be diving into this after work. Thanks for the heads up, Aeana!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never played BOF2 apart from 15 min of the GBA version but those screens of the original English version are hilarious! And I thought Robotrek had a terrible translation...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hobbun said:
Hmm, ok. Thanks.

Guess I'll just have to stick with my butchered translation version on the VC.

For what it's worth, playing your butchered translation version on the VC is using an emulator as well.

Heretic Kazuma said:
You and me both. Holy crap, it's horrible. And BoF2 is my favorite one in the series (3 and 4 didn't click with me as much). That said, Dragon Quarter is still on my backlog.

Oh, definitely play Dragon Quarter. One of the top five RPGs of last generation, trivially. Incredible game.

B.K. said:
It's been years since I played the game, but I don't remember the translation being that bad.

Well, it is. :lol

Erdrick

BoFII has one of the worst translations ever. When I am told to hit the red/yellow/green/blue buttons on the d-pad... you know they went for a literal translation at that point. Also how some characters were called by different names/spelling. (Let the intro go for a while and see Sper/Spar whatever that tree guy was named.

How about the Tolen intsead of Token? Say what you will about Square's handling of the original release of BoF but it was at least leagues more comprehensible than this.

Regardless, BoFII was a decent game and was a nice oasis in the RPG-less land of the time. Nice to see a potential proper translation. Or a more understandable one at least.

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks for the news, Aeana, will try out this translation!

I just wanted to say the first page was very difficult to read due to some posts which made me want to kill puppies. I wonder sometimes if some people here didn't drop out of school early, or get dropped on their head or some shit.

* Aeana makes a thread about the factually horrible Breath of Fire 2 Translation because there is a new translation that makes it not suck
* People denying it was horrible, even people who played the shitty GBA version with a similarly awful translation!
* Someone here says that Aeana is "elitist" for noting that the translation is terrible
* Justifying the bad translation by saying it was "nothing out of the ordinary for the time"

I wonder if one stopped to think that even if it wasn't "out of the ordinary", that the translation is still FUCKING TERRIBLE? Do they even know how to follow simple goddamn logic?

I am sorry this thread annoyed me a bit. I sometimes forget how dumb the internet often is.

I mean if you played Breath of Fire 2 at any age over 12 and you didn't notice the bad translation, I wonder how it is possible these individuals managed to read the forum policy and sign up. Or if they can even read this post I am making!

And yes, motherfucker, Breath of Fire 2 translation KILLED MY DOG and also my kitty.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Worst part of it is the translation is out of the norm for the time, especially noticable if you try marathoning the series and notice that BoF's translation is closer to the norm of the times and is actually pretty damn easy to understand while BoF2 is terribad.

Pachinko

See as a young'un I didn't think of the translation as awful but I still knew something was 'off' about it. Seemed around the same quality as FF2.. but the issue there is that ff2 had been our for what 4 years by then ?

I own the gba edition too.. which I could call a poor translation but moreso I noticed the game seemed to be easier then the snes version.

firex

Amir0x said:
* People denying it was horrible, even people who played the shitty GBA version with a similarly awful translation!
I think the GBA version didn't even have a new translation. It's the same as the SNES game, just dumped to a GBA with accelerated exp/money gains after battle (I came to that conclusion when the SNES version was hard, and the GBA version was beaten at like 10 levels higher and money was never a problem for new equipment).

Soul4ger

firex said:
I think the GBA version didn't even have a new translation. It's the same as the SNES game, just dumped to a GBA with accelerated exp/money gains after battle (I came to that conclusion when the SNES version was hard, and the GBA version was beaten at like 10 levels higher and money was never a problem for new equipment).

Yeah, people always say the GBA version had a new translation, but it didn't. They didn't even fix the part where a villager tells you to go to the wrong city, which is a mistake, not intentional.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I never touched the GBA version, but I did get and beat the VC version not too long ago.

I've always been amazed that people have tried to excuse how bad Breath of Fire II is/was.

Really? I thought the game was great, the translation obviously was so bad that it was hilarious. Characters were fun to use, music was memorable, shaman fusions were useful, Township was cool. Game was pretty unforgiving though. Fuck you Highfort with only Stan.

Aeana

BorkBork said:
Really? I thought the game was great, the translation obviously was so bad that it was hilarious. Characters were fun to use, music was memorable, shaman fusions were useful, Township was cool. Game was pretty unforgiving though. Fuck you Highfort with only Stan.
I assume he was talking about the translation. It's honestly so bad that I never really understood the game's story until I played it in Japanese a few years ago... there is so much missing in the old translation. The game itself is pretty good. I like it, although it's not my favorite in the series.

As for this translation, I've had the opportunity to play for a little bit, and I must say that Ryusui has done a really good job. The writing is decent, and the localized jokes work pretty well, too. I also really appreciate the run button that was added. That's the only reason I ever really preferred to play the GBA version, previously.

MotherFan

I love this game and to see extra dialogue is worth it imo. I really wish they would do a followup of this game, the ending (even the good one) is begging for a equal.

I am gonna miss "Do you want to sleep in the open" though :p

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
How do you apply translations? I named it same name as my B2 file on psp and it tries to load it then stops and turns off PSP. and on PC it just doesn't load :eek:

MechaX

Corran Horn said:
How do you apply translations? I named it same name as my B2 file on psp and it tries to load it then stops and turns off PSP. and on PC it just doesn't load :eek:

The PSP emulatior does not do too well with most IPS translation patches, so you'll have to find a program out there to do the patching yourself (should be relatively easy to do). However, even after doing that, the game lags pretty badly in certain parts, and the opening title screen is an absolute nightmare due to the song and new logo the translation patch adds.

Hobbun

Amir0x said:
Thanks for the news, Aeana, will try out this translation!

I just wanted to say the first page was very difficult to read due to some posts which made me want to kill puppies. I wonder sometimes if some people here didn't drop out of school early, or get dropped on their head or some shit.

* Aeana makes a thread about the factually horrible Breath of Fire 2 Translation because there is a new translation that makes it not suck
* Someone here says that Aeana is "elitist" for noting that the translation is terrible
* Justifying the bad translation by saying it was "nothing out of the ordinary for the time"

I wonder if one stopped to think that even if it wasn't "out of the ordinary", that the translation is still FUCKING TERRIBLE? Do they even know how to follow simple goddamn logic?

I am sorry this thread annoyed me a bit. I sometimes forget how dumb the internet often is.

I mean if you played Breath of Fire 2 at any age over 12 and you didn't notice the bad translation, I wonder how it is possible these individuals managed to read the forum policy and sign up. Or if they can even read this post I am making!

And yes, motherfucker, Breath of Fire 2 translation KILLED MY DOG and also my kitty.

Man, get a grip.

I agree, no one should have called Aeana an elitist and now people pointing it out, I can see the differences on the translation.

When playing the game way back when it came out, if I saw something that was confusing wordwise, I just figured it was supposed to be that way. My focus wasn't on "is this a bad translation or not" as I really didn't think much about things like that.

There's no need to insult people because they didn't realize at the time it was a bad translation.

Aeana

Corran Horn said:
You need to make sure your file doesn't have a header on it. If it does, it won't patch properly and you'll get weird behavior like that. In order to remove a header, you need to use something like SNESTool or NSRT, or... if I recall correctly, loading it in a recent version of SNES9x for PC will also ask if you want to remove the header, but I'm not 100% sure.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
hahaha @ people defending the translation at first, then getting owned by people posting pics of the horrible translation.

there's no way you can defend the BoF2 hack job capcom did, and then be serious the whole time.

MechaX

Error said:
hahaha @ people defending the translation at first, then getting owned by people posting pics of the horrible translation.

there's no way you can defend the BoF2 hack job capcom did, and then be serious the whole time.

Enemy approaching. We start attacking.

Also, can anyone who is fluent in French confirm or deny Jean's french as actually being coherent?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've been waiting for this ever since it was announced for German all those years ago.

Even though I have BoF2 on GBA and VC on Wii, it'll still be excellent to play through this properly :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's my favorite BoF after V (which is also very different), thereby making it my favorite "traditional" BoF, but the translation it got was one of the worst I've ever seen, well outside and beyond the standards of the time. It was so bad, that they actually fucked up story elements and character names on a more than occasional basis, and even fucked up simple yes/no prompts! At times, you literally had to choose "no" when you meant "yes!" And the GBA version was just as fucked.

I'm not a big fan of fan "retranslation" projects when they turn out like that Chrono Trigger one from a year or two back, but unlike CT, this one truly needed it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just fiddled around with it for a bit. It's so nice to play Breath of Fire II and have a bit of life in the dialogue :lol

Hobbun

The retranslation is a ton better. But the problem I am having is the screen is tiny. It comes nowhere near to filling my monitor, even if I choose "Full Screen."

Is it the emulator I am using? I am using SNES-9x.

Aeana

Hobbun said:
The retranslation is a ton better. But the problem I am having is the screen is tiny. It comes nowhere near to filling my monitor, even if I choose "Full Screen."

I don't have SNES9x installed, but there should be an option in the video options to scale to the window size or stretch or something.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hobbun said:

Works fine for me under Snes9x. Im using 1.51

Zsnes should work too I imagine

MotherFan

I like the translation alot so far (except for the new names) but I am not that far
Just got my first job, Suzie I shall save you!

Can we use this thread as a BoF2 discussion thread too? (since there is obviously not a current one)

Honestly, I'd like to see a new BoF using the traditional storyline, tying up some of the stuff from 2.

Edit: Anyone saying the first translation was anything but terrible is just wrong. When I was young it was kind of charming in a way, but a real translation is very, very needed.

Aeana

MotherFan said:
I like the translation alot so far (except for the new names) but I am not that far
Just got my first job, Suzie I shall save you!
The 'new names' are the original names, though, and those names are referenced in later BoF games, too... like 5. :) Hopefully people will see the references after playing this.

MotherFan

Aeana said:
The 'new names' are the original names, though, and those names are referenced in later BoF games, too... like 5. :) Hopefully people will see the references after playing this.

Indeed, just a bit of nostalgia.

Demigod Mac

Even at a ripe young age of 13, I could tell there was something funky about the game's text. The characters seemed like they were high on something.

Thread needs more Rinpoo, btw.

BoF2_rinpoo.jpg

*TToB appears*

Joule

Demigod Mac said:
Thread needs more Rinpoo, btw.
Indeed. Man the shamanized forms were so stylish. Can't go without Nina. My favourite Nina in all of BoF.
bof2-meta-katt2-1.jpg
BoF2_nina2.jpg

There's really something about BoF2's art that really gets me. Lovely stuff. This game still has my favourite dragon design too.

Aeana

MotherFan said:
So what name does Jean have now? The one that he uses (not the long name he gives when introducing himself)
He hasn't joined my party yet, but in the forest, he called himself Tapeta.

Top Bottom