• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Long War |Let's Play| Invaders Must Die

Jintor

LCPL Holly Hazaro
Status: Injured (third degree plasma burns to upper forearm code 943.33 E997)
Estimated Recovery Time: 17 Days (+ minor physical therapy regimen recommended)
NB: Arm was not detached despite initial estimates based on radio chatter

Baalzebup

Command, I really need to see some action. Every other Joe and Jill in Alpha and Bravo has seen at least two deployments, be it via Task force Omega or going in as a team just like now, but here I am, stuck in a treadmill of drills, drills and drills with a dash of good 'ole drills on the side.

When NightmareTriggers offer of fixing you something to eat starts to sound like a good way to alleviate the boring routine, something is off.

Shucks, I've been staring at the killboards for so long, I could almost swear I can see two separate mentions of Clevinger up there.

You know that thing, about being careful what you wish for... yeah.

Jintor

CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET
//ENGAGEMENT REPORT 003 – UFO-003//

24 March 2016

i1qt68DkmdHI7.jpg

At 1311 Zulu 24 March 2016, UFO-003 was detected over the Pacific Ocean inbound for the Western Seaboard of the USA. Lt. PBalfredo was deployed.

i7jNrdN9CnwZU.jpg

Contact was made over Nevada at 1330 Zulu.

ibabBkDwzvpa6l.jpg

Lt. PBalfredo’s first missile caused a massive explosion in what is presumed to be UFO-003’s primary propulsion system, resulting in an uncontrolled descent. UFO-003 confirmed crash-landed along Highway 95, Nevada, USA, just south of Beatty.

Skyranger-1, carrying Strike Team Omega, was dispatched.

---

XCOM PILOT KILLBOARD
PBAlfredo: 2 [2 x Scout]
_Hekk05: 1 [1 x Scout]

Jintor

CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET
//INCIDENT REPORT_0007//
OPERATION EMPTY SMOKE
<<HIGHWAY 95, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA>>

24 March 2016

STRIKE TEAM OMEGA
SPEC Sober (Gunner)
SPEC Baalzebup (Infantry)
PFC A Sentient Keyboard
PFC Lollipop Dave
PFC Papasmurf1038
PFC Aztecnology

--- ATTACHED: POST-OPERATION TACTICAL REVIEW EXCERPT ---
<<Conference Room 3>>
Attending: DirOps, Brig. McNum, Dr. Diablos, SPEC Sober, SPEC Baalzebup

Diablos: Ah, gentlemen, there you are. Please be seated.
Sober: Sir?
DirOps: This is not a disciplinary meeting, so no need to look so nervous.
McNum: No-one holds you to blame for what happened-
Baalzebup: Sir, with respect, we were in field command. It happened under our watch.
Diablos: Yes, yes, that is true. But some things are&#8230; difficult to anticipate. We&#8217;d like to get your perspective on what could have gone differently, and what tactical overhauls can be made to our contact procedures.

Sober: Alright. Where should I start?
DirOps: I&#8217;d prefer to get an overview of the entire mission, before delving into specifics. Start pre-contact.
Sober: Right. So&#8230; we were wheels down a little after sunset&#8230;

Jintor

iQYqIifRSHEC2.jpg

Sober: We&#8217;d barely started moving towards the nearby building to secure the area when a group of &#8216;toids blundered right into us.
Diablos: How many were there?
Baalzebup: Three.

iwYdnfW2YIHOp.jpg

Baalzebup: They dove for cover behind the highway pillars right away.
Sober: Smurf, Keyboard and Dave started trying to flank them using the fence to block line of sight. It was a risky strategy, since we hadn&#8217;t secured the building yet. I kept the one we could see distracted.

ibuNUuK62db3HK.jpg

Sober: Keyboard tried for a potshot, but it wasn&#8217;t happening.

ikKKC4HxdVUHf.jpg

ix8jcTn91hAzV.jpg

Sober: The one I was suppressing tried to do that mind thingy, I think, but I didn&#8217;t feel a thing.
Baalzebup: Then one of the others managed to get around and flank us. We never thought it&#8217;d move that far, so we hadn&#8217;t prepared for it.

Sober: Aztec was quicker on the draw, but it was a glower, so it managed to shrug it off.

ib2yb9JPkKIy54.jpg

ivJVpP2h5dqRc.jpg

Baalzebup: Thankfully, it stuck to trying to freak us out instead of shooting us.
Sober: Could&#8217;ve turned out bad.
Baalzebup: Real bad.

Jintor

ibv7AvM0BSFsfs.jpg

Baalzebup: I picked it off asap while the rooks kept trying to creep around the side. Sober, you were shepherding them, right?
Sober: Yeah. Keyboard and Smurf went down the alley, I was keeping our closest friend suppressed, Aztec and Dave were trying to draw its attention away from the sides.

ibv7AvM0BSFsfs.jpg

iPY3A2szGtDHt.jpg

Sober: Damn thing just keep trying for the purple prizes.
Baalzebup: Its buddy moved outta the fog, and Aztec took a shot, but missed his mark.

ikbsXU24QVatQ.jpg

Baalzebup: Smurf was luckier, but couldn&#8217;t get a killshot in.

ipLHmthhZs7oO.jpg

ibxVjix2xCXkCI.jpg

Baalzebup: She did freak it out enough to throw off its aim, though.
Sober: We tried to spring our trap, but the bullets just weren&#8217;t hitting.

i7JhwVE4JOiwn.jpg

iMFAeCrVWPyq6.jpg

Sober: At least until Keyboard got a good shot in. Brought the wounded one down for keeps.

ibyi6JEhNYUaBj.jpg

im4J82CvBcxry.jpg

Jintor

Sober: It finally dawned on ‘toid that he should be shooting instead of trying to spoonbend…

iblhfijY4ejM7V.jpg

Sober: …but it was a little late for that.

iNU0pCdzrcG7X.jpg

iIyT7ZYpaD26h.jpg

iSK57ansOViSy.jpg

Baalzebup: The rookies hit it with everything they had.
Sober: It was Keyboard that got the kill.

ibah1iXFaSZqyZ.jpg

Baalzebup: That’s when another two came to join the party.

iBfEPgAtUmbxK.jpg

Jintor

Sober: Smurf heard a thrummer off beyond where they&#8217;d just come from. The new guys were probably guarding it and got attracted by the gunfire.
DirOps: No need for conjecture at this point, gentlemen; just the facts.

ibfBvGlsxDkpWt.jpg

Baalzebup: Well, Dave started moving towards the UFO to try and flank again&#8230;
Sober: Got a solid hit in on her way, too.

iceZPy5v7EKqa.jpg

Sober: Keyboard and Smurf had to pull back to reload&#8230;

i1Ko2PNx0J27z.jpg

Sober: And I took out one scrambling towards us.

ipZR4jLBLo2e0.jpg

Sober: The survivor tried to retaliate&#8230;

i8OZ3Ugeg5PfQ.jpg

Sober: So I put the sucker on lockdown.

Jintor

Baalzebup: After that it was just a case of advancing towards it, sticking to cover points and trying not to get shot.
Sober: The rookies took the left flank, taking potshots along the way. Aztec got in a good hit-

ibynEd07a6aXPw.jpg

Sober: While Dave was still trying to flank right.
Baalzebup: Another hopeless shot of plasma…

iid2XaeJukBQI.jpg

Baalzebup: But Dave had just gotten into its flank.

ibNQ7LGUMPOTk.jpg

iqW21Kkmavcb2.jpg

Baalzebup: She took care of the problem.

Jintor

McNum: Right. So…
Sober: Everyone was checking their weapons, reloading, making sure they were prepped.
Baalzebup: We’d all seen the UFO-001 mission, after all. We knew there was an outsider in there.
McNum: Didn’t think there were any more patrols outside?
Sober: We judged it unlikely. Recon said light activity, and we couldn’t hear any more skittering around either.
Baalzebup: Not to mention it sounded like the thrummer was going critical.
Diablos: So you started advancing towards the UFO?
Sober: That’s right.

ibl88DjagI3Ck5.jpg

Sober: We were all bunched up on the left flank, except for Dave, who was catching her breath.
Baalzebup: I ordered Dave up to join us-
Sober: -and that’s when everything went to shit.

Jintor

--- AUDIO TRANSCRIPT EXCERPT – STRIKE TEAM OMEGA –

Baalzebup: -on’t let it get to your head, kid. Get over here.
Lollipop Dave: Alright, alright… I’m moving, I’m move-
Sober: Wait, Dave, that’s where the crystal thing was on the last bird before it woke up-
Lollipop Dave: Oh, shit!

i7qsY3Cnachje.jpg

iWwhC7hZhduCU.jpg

Papasmurf1038: Fuck!
Aztechnology: SHIT!
Sober: Bad activation, BAD ACTIVATION!

[automatic rifle fire]
[automatic rifle fire]

i03y7OiB9v5GF.jpg

isTFR2o4aa7Xa.jpg

Lollipop Dave: St-stun out!

[flashbang explosion]

iPDFxGQgJHDbG.jpg

Papasmurf1038: It’s still- it’s still going for its-

[plasma carbine discharge]

i6ZqHS4pPsZ4j.jpg

Papasmurf1038: -hrk.

Jintor

ilENPJ6PGiFL3.jpg

Papasmurf1038: [--static--]
Lollipop Dave: Smurfy!
Aztechnology: Smurf!
Sober: SHIT! SUPPRESSING!

[continual SAW fire]

iRgTy4VFmSyWe.jpg

iXUHiYRIB2QYT.jpg

Aztechnology: She&#8217;s&#8230; she&#8217;s gone, guys.
Baalzebup: Fuck! Flank that sonnovabitch!
Lollipop Dave: Charging right!
A Sentient Keyboard: Moving in-
Sober: Don&#8217;t bother with potshots until you&#8217;re sure you can hit it! The-

[continual SAW fire]

Sober: -fucking thing regens! We gotta take it out all at once or it&#8217;ll just keep patching itself together.
Baalzebup: Dave! You&#8217;re with me, we&#8217;re going to take it from the right! Aztec-

itNrQ6u5JtMxa.jpg

[plasma carbine discharge]

Baalzebup: - you and Keyboard get through that door and fuck its shit up! Don&#8217;t get killed, do you understand me? DO NOT GET-

Jintor

Sober: …the rest of the mission was tense, but no real surprises. Me and the Outsider traded shots until the two teams could breach. It went out as planned – Aztec burst through the door and put the better half of a clip into that thing’s chest-

ic04m5LxVeeha.jpg

Baalzebup: And I finished it off with a shot to the head.

iqyKw9riDkVZl.jpg

DirOps: No further contacts?
Sober: None, sir.

McNum: You’ve had some time now to review the operation. What, precisely, went wrong?
Sober: Sir, the radio comm says it best. It was a bad activation.
Baalzebup: I… I didn’t realise that the outsider crystal stays dormant until it detects something within a certain radius. I had assumed that because I couldn’t hear footsteps from within the UFO, there was nothing there.
Sober: On my part I was perhaps too eager to move up too quickly, drawn by the MELD canister into rushing foolhardedly into a bad situation. And Smurf paid the price.
DirOps: Anything else?

Sober: Nothing else sticks out beyond those two points, sir. Perhaps we rely on flashbangs a little too much; they’re not complete failsafes, I suppose, but-
Baalzebup: The tactic of concentrating as much firepower into a short timeframe as possible to overload the creature’s regenerative capabilities is sound, though. I doubt we would have fared better attempting to whittle it away.
Sober: Although I do think shotguns may be a better bet against Crystals.
McNum: Hmmm. Noted.

Diablos: Do you have any further suggestions for tactical procedures on UFO crash-landing operations in future?
Sober: Hmmm. Well…

ib0cuGOg36D4ws.jpg

--- FILE EXCERPT ENDS ---

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Man, this is really cool, I wish I'd known about it when it started so I could've signed up.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
I have no regrets! My tour was short but I fought bravely. Hopefully all the Meld I picked up can help the rest of the team last a little longer than I did.

Galactic Fork

You can signup to be a pilot (later)! (soldiers are probably getting full, there's about 40 ppl and you start with 40 in LW)
I wanted to be a sniper. Those are my favorite class when I play. Oh well. Fun to read though.

Jintor

ibaLpT1uLwJj2a.jpg

RECOVERED: 5 x Sectoid Corpses, 30 x Elerium, 12 x Alien Alloys, 6 x Weapon Fragments, 1 x MELD, 1 x UFO Power Source, 2 x UFO Flight Computers (Damaged)

KILLS/MISSION BOARD &#8211; STRIKE TEAM OMEGA
Baalzebup: 3 | 2 (+2)
Sober: 2 | 3 (+1)
A Sentient Keyboard: 2 | 2 (+2)
Lollipop Dave: 1 | 2 (+1)
Aztechnology: 0 | 2 (-)
Papasmurf1038: 0 | 2 (-)

ibojGReVmpK0dX.jpg

Galactic Fork

I'm putting in my !SIGNUP for the waiting list. I'd like to be a sniper, but an Assault class will do if you need it instead.

Doczu

A moment of silence for papasmurf, the first casualty of this war. His dedication will never be forgotten.

dkoy

RIP papasmurf. You will be remembered.
hehehe one less person to compete with on my way to climbing the ranks

RIP in peace, Papsmurf. May you smurf forever smurf.

Also, didn't know you *could* get promoted without getting any kills. Good job, Aztec.

Baalzebup

F

Que droga, Smurf.. I know I just begged for action, but I didn't think someone else would end up paying the price. Rest in peace, sister. I'll make sure E.T pays the price, time and again.
You really have a knack for doing this, Jintor. Excellent choice of making it a post-mortem report. Good stuff.

Sciz

Private's Log - 3/24/2016 said:
Just heard the news. Everyone here at base knew something had gone wrong the moment the skyranger's hatch popped open and one less person walked out of it than had walked in, but... well, we didn't want to believe it until her name went on the wall Wall, capital W. We have one, now. Can't just forget.

Can't help but wonder, am I going to be the next name on it? We're all the hand-picked, best of the best from around the world here, but against these damned grays, or reptilians, or whatever the hell it is we're actually fighting here, what good is that? I'm not dumb enough to think I'm any more skilled than she was, or any smarter. Just another human, and we die easy enough. Command tries their best, but there's a candle burning that says they're only human too.

Wish we had better gear. The way I hear it, these things eat lead - literally - and spit green fireballs back. We've got the world's best ballistic protection; unload an entire magazine into one of these vests and you'll come out with a bruise and the vest still looks like new. Saw it with my own eyes in basic, one of their confidence building exercises.

Smurf went down in a single shot.

note: "The skyranger": no good. The bird that's saving the planet needs a better name. "Believe", maybe? I'll bring it up with the guys.

One casualty and still no live specimen, eh? This mission was...disappointing, to say the least.

Let's pay our respects to the deceased and then continue onward. Every minute we spend off of the battlefield brings us one minute closer to extinction, and mankind has very little time left as it is...

yA4Y4jm.gif

Feonix

RIP, Smurf. Your sacrifice will not be in vain. As soon as I get sent out for field duty, I'll take a few
[REDACTED]
down just for you.

Mindlog

Command,

Formal request to roll the Medical Staff into the Engineering Department. There are a lot of redundancies already and our goals can be met more quickly if we worked together. The speedy recovery and upgrade of our agents is better served this way.

Dr. Mindlog

Chief Engineering Officer

Engineering shares its condolences with the team.
These losses will not be in vain.

Dr. Igor. The vengeance shovel, post haste.

Engineering has concluded its investigation. There is no localized wormhole event aboard Skyranger 1.

Memorandum to Agents with Scarlett Security Clearance:
Our initial repair to Field Agent Hazaro is complete. The goal of these trials is for limb replacement therapy to match the previous limb's performance exactly. The agent should notice no difference. The cover story that his limb was not removed has held. Recovery is nearly complete, but the agent will be medicated to match the cover story. Please do not share the details of this trial with non-approved personnel. We wouldn't want to alarm the troops.

Jintor

ibjCNDHnJ14MNI.jpg

Okay Omega. China’s put in a request for assistance in Wuhan, Hubei. No, I’ve never been there either. No, we can’t get Chinese on the way back. Chinese food from China is not the same as it is here anyw- look, just shut up, okay? Recon says ‘light’ activity, but the bird where we lost Smurfy had the least amount of ETs we’ve shot so far, so let’s not take that as gospel, alright? Get out there and get us some alien heads. Central out.

iLTuR0Y3CxbU7.jpg

Jintor

CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET
//INCIDENT REPORT_008//
OPERATION BLINDING MIST
<<WUHAN, CHINA>>

27 March 2016

STRIKE TEAM OMEGA
SPEC Tangaroo (Scout)
SPEC Doczu (Sniper)
PFC Lamptramp
PFC Palehorse
PFC Deraldin
PFC Sciz

--- Audio Transcript Excerpt &#8211; STRIKE TEAM OMEGA &#8211;

Palehorse: So if we get the chance, I&#8217;m gonna try and take one&#8217;s limbs off.
Doczu: Yeah. Yeah. Get some payback for Smurfy.
Palehorse: Well, to be perfectly honest, Hazaro asked me. So did Mindlog, the weirdo.
Lamptramp: A little bit of pain never hurt anyone&#8230; you know what I mean.
Palehorse: I reckon knives are a good idea. Big fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are great, &#8216;cos they don&#8217;t make any noise. And the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use &#8216;em. Shit &#8216;em right up. Make it look like we&#8217;re serious.
Deraldin: &#8230;Horse, is there anything we should know about you?
Sciz: I don&#8217;t know what&#8217;s more terrifying, plasma-induced sudden death or your goddamn past.

Tangaroo: Quit jawing back there &#8211; touchdown in five&#8230; four&#8230; three&#8230;

i0oVCRNqNJ410.jpg

ibhvmOGyFWQZZg.jpg

Tangaroo: There&#8217;s a fucking sectoid right fucking there.

Jintor

Doczu: Punch it into the squadsight then.
Tangaroo: Already done.
Doczu: Cheers.

[sniper rifle shot]

iS0i3DfiYC9M8.jpg

Doczu: One kill up and I’m not even off the ramp.
Deraldin: Maybe we should just let you sit up there and tell Bigsky to hover in place.
Doczu: I’m not adverse to that suggestion.

Jintor

ikhjruPQB5jl8.jpg

Tangaroo: Busboy had pals &#8211; and a can. Squad, fan out!
Palehorse: Moving up&#8230;
Lamptramp: Supporting.

[shotgun blast]

ibwjnwMD3wfDhw.jpg

Tangaroo: Was worth a try&#8230; here they come-!
Sciz: It&#8217;s in my sights.

[automatic rifle fire]

irjgzExHFKe3o.jpg

Tangaroo: Other one&#8217;s retreating&#8230;
Palehorse: Yeah, keep running, jackass! I&#8217;M GONNA CRUCIFY YOUR GREY ASS!
Sciz [muttered]: I&#8217;d retreat too if Horse was after my ass.
Lamptramp: Heh. Butt stuff.

Tangaroo: Jesus Christ, guys, focus.
Deraldin: Moving up- woah, another two tangos.

ih3SCVedggsef.jpg

Palehorse: Ooh, joy.

Jintor

Tangaroo: Glower, incoming!

[automatic rifle fire]

ib2skQihvA97dF.jpg

Deraldin: No effect-

[plasma pistol discharge]

iFjl3RNnOCZco.jpg

[plasma pistol discharge]

ibgygPSdtW3zjl.jpg

Tangaroo: There’s a can up here – and I’ve found an old friend. Let ‘em have it, Omega!
Deraldin: Understood!
Sciz: Firing!

[automatic rifle fire]
[automatic rifle fire]
[shotgun blast]

ifdAQLq6AdPmM.jpg

ihFv5WFeKNoeU.jpg

ibzZJskRHk3duj.jpg

Sciz: Little shit’s feeling brave…
Palehorse: Oh, you want some of this?!?

[automatic rifle fire]

isB4q94yE0FW7.jpg

Palehorse: That one’s mine, alright?
Duczu: Only if you promise to feed it, and care for it, and pick up its shit.
Palehorse: I dunno how much shitting it’s going to do once I’ve finished this taxidermy course, though.
Sciz: Horse, you’re really freaking me out.

Top Bottom