• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

nin1000

Banned
Sorian's clearly trying to cover up my list of suspected Cultists, people who've been constantly and conveniently harrassing my unique playstyle since the game began, by dismissing my explanation posts as nonsense.

well before the day ends, could YOU make a list with people who you think are cults ?
please dont make a fucking riddle post

Sorian

Banned
LoC, since you are watching. I believe you still owe me thoughts on Coppa and Charleston:

Sorry, busy right now. I'll do a detailed post later.

Great Charleston and Coppanova are both good legitimate picks. Blarg isn't really helping us though. I've said this before and I'll say it again. A Towns job isn't to spread chaos. Blarg isn't Town, no matter what's on paper.

He might be the "tough" pick today, but he's the right pick.

The Matt and Blarg show distracted us shortly after this post and I know some of it might still not apply but I'm curious what your thoughts were. Also:

VOTE: Lord of Castamere

It wouldn't be right if I didn't spread the love around.

Sorian

Banned
If indeed killing Blarg today grants us an extra night where the cult doesn't kill anyone, then we've effectively just given ourselves another day phase to figure out who to next lynch. We don't get any information from the mafia night kill, because there is none, and chances are the only thing we get from tonight is being out one tourist because of our resident serial killer. We have a slight possibility that we have some information gathering roles that will be able to do something interesting tonight, but the chances of them, if they exist, getting anything useful from such a large cast is low.

If everyone thinks it's worth it for that, then by all means, let's kill Blarg today. But if not, just let the mafia handle it tonight or our future selves handle it later. Or if everyone's going to be distracted by him like this every day from now on, let's just kill him and get it over with.

The bolded is probably the real issue but I still don't trust Blarg's role. It seems lopsided if only we get a reward for getting the kill. I'm less worried about the serial killer than you seem to be because there is nothing to show that they are not town-aligned at the moment. I'm willing to bet money that their kill choice tonight is going to be on someone we've been discussing anyway, we'll get the same info but with the night blocked out of any cult made kills. If we wait until after we find this serial killer/vigilante then we will have a kill down the road where we do get no information that night because said killer will also be gone as well (there's also the possibility they only have a limited number of kills over the whole game).

If indeed killing Blarg today grants us an extra night where the cult doesn't kill anyone, then we've effectively just given ourselves another day phase to figure out who to next lynch. We don't get any information from the mafia night kill, because there is none, and chances are the only thing we get from tonight is being out one tourist because of our resident serial killer. We have a slight possibility that we have some information gathering roles that will be able to do something interesting tonight, but the chances of them, if they exist, getting anything useful from such a large cast is low.

If everyone thinks it's worth it for that, then by all means, let's kill Blarg today. But if not, just let the mafia handle it tonight or our future selves handle it later. Or if everyone's going to be distracted by him like this every day from now on, let's just kill him and get it over with.

Thank you. I'm a bit too salty right now to break it down like this. Once again I am in complete agreement.

RetroMG

We have a fundamental disagreement on this point. I think Blarg is more valuable to us later in the game. I say we wait to lynch him until we find another Cultist.

I absolutely agree with this point, but I think if we don't lynch him today, the Cult will tonight. I don't believe we can prevent that. Additionally, I would be willing to bet that there's a benefit for the cult in taking down Mr. Lovecraft. (Blarg, anything you care to share on that theory?) In this case, getting rid of Blarg now has a time limit.

RetroMG

I worded that poorly. I agree that keeping Blarg alive until later in the game would be ideal, but I don't think it's really an option, and I think things will get worse if the ult takes him down.

Timeaisis

We have a fundamental disagreement on this point. I think Blarg is more valuable to us later in the game. I say we wait to lynch him until we find another Cultist.

If we wait to lynch Blarg, the cultists could kill him at night and get a double kill. Are you willing to take that risk?

I think it makes so much more sense to just lynch him today, get the free night of no kills, and move on with our lives.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like your short list of 4 that you posted recently but you've also randomly pointed at Coppa, Me, Darryl, etc. and you also put Matt Attack on that short list and let's be real, you only did that because you knew you'd still try to convince people for your life.

I only placed him there out of spite. Nothing more :3

Doesn't invalidate the others

Darryl is going to exterminate you, you need to kill him ASAP

Coppanuva's gonna Coppanuva

I was on your list of 4 who have consistently pulled for your death, yet I also have switched my tone on you and have given you your props for excellent puzzle creation. Where would that leave me?

Seaside, under a pair of socks.

You say "unique" I say "chaotic". What has your "unique" playstyle benefited the town besides chaos.

"OHHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHH"

You need to pay for that wall, you know

well before the day ends, could YOU make a list with people who you think are cults ?
please dont make a fucking riddle post

gross, I made my list, do you have any idea how hard I got doing it

And besides, lists are Sorian's job, he's my data entry intern

LoC, since you are watching. I believe you still owe me thoughts on Coppa and Charleston:

The Matt and Blarg show distracted us shortly after this post and I know some of it might still not apply but I'm curious what your thoughts were. Also:

VOTE: Lord of Castamere

It wouldn't be right if I didn't spread the love around.

Great Charleston is an inactive player who still hasn't rebounded. That's probably who I would lead with tomorrow. Stong chance of a Cultist coaster.

Coppa is interesting. He's picked up on activity, but is using scummy tactics like reverse psychology. Right now he's more useful than GC, but if his activity drops again he should be lynched fully.

Both players are likely scum.

Sorian

Banned
If we wait to lynch Blarg, the cultists could kill him at night and get a double kill. Are you willing to take that risk?

I think it makes so much more sense to just lynch him today, get the free night of no kills, and move on with our lives.

Just a point I've noticed. Everyone else thinks of the bolded as a theory but this is at least the 3rd time that you've posted it and made it sound more like fact. Maybe it's just me reading your posts wrong but it almost sounds like you know they will get a double kill if they kill Blarg.

I'm sorry, I'll give a real answer.

Yes, because everything in this game is a risk. Lynching somebody is a risk. Letting somebody off the hook is a risk. Killing Blarg is safe, with little tangible benefit. Safe bores me.

Sorian

Banned

Then you're a fool. We have an early lead and it's irresponsible to want to squander it on a gamble.

And besides, lists are Sorian's job, he's my data entry intern

Don't worry, there will probably be another list before this day ends from me. I'm sure you are on the edge of your seat waiting for them.

Great Charleston is an inactive player who still hasn't rebounded. That's probably who I would lead with tomorrow. Stong chance of a Cultist coaster.

Coppa is interesting. He's picked up on activity, but is using scummy tactics like reverse psychology. Right now he's more useful than GC, but if his activity drops again he should be lynched fully.

Both players are likely scum.

Thank you, nice to have your thoughts on the matter now.

I absolutely agree with this point, but I think if we don't lynch him today, the Cult will tonight. I don't believe we can prevent that. Additionally, I would be willing to bet that there's a benefit for the cult in taking down Mr. Lovecraft. (Blarg, anything you care to share on that theory?) In this case, getting rid of Blarg now has a time limit.

I don't think so, only Matt Attack/the Other has any specific benefit from killing me, to my knowledge.

Sorian

Banned
I don't think so, only Matt Attack/the Other has any specific benefit from killing me, to my knowledge.

Does your role share information on what happens if we lynch you? Can you directly confirm that it is true that killing you leads to a block tonight?

RetroMG

My gambles have a better track record than yours, if I'm not mistaken.

8lgSW6s.gif

(Borrowed from the other thread)

Timeaisis

Just a point I've noticed. Everyone else thinks of the bolded as a theory but this is at least the 3rd time that you've posted it and made it sound more like fact. Maybe it's just me reading your posts wrong but it almost sounds like you know they will get a double kill if they kill Blarg.

Hence the "could". I honestly think it's more of a 50/50 at this point, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I have no idea if it's true or not, just like everyone else.

Timeaisis

I realized I phrased that poorly now:
"the cultists could kill him at night which could lead to a double kill" is a better phrasing. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorian

Banned
8lgSW6s.gif

(Borrowed from the other thread)

Bad form using my own gif on me :(

My gambles have a better track record than yours, if I'm not mistaken.

True but I was actually successful in convincing people of my points. Regardless, we are on day 2 and 1 cultist is already dead. That is quite the lead. Using today to remove a neutral player is hardly a bad decision and is boosted by the reward we get for doing it. I'd rather do this when the serial killer/vigilante is alive, at least they will target someone from the whole player pool instead just tourists and we will still wake up to some additional information in the morning.

The Other?

I just refer to Matt Attack with that moniker because I don't know his role name. He knew mine from Day 1 because he was specifically bred to kill me.

Does your role share information on what happens if we lynch you? Can you directly confirm that it is true that killing you leads to a block tonight?

Rubiks Cube.

zyukkNl.gif

I am a known quantity now, yet again, I guess. My role's name is literally H. P. Lovecraft, and I am a Town-aligned Neutral (quite strange phrasing). However, I made a promise to a certain someone and I will not speak further about my sources of intel. Have fun! ;) Forgive me, steward. I know I promised you I wouldn't mention this to them, but now I must say it here as the eventuality I feared is upon me and I must:

To the Town; my Win condition is achieved once 3 Cultists are dead. This was stated in my Role PM, and this was how I knew there was a minimum of 3 Cultists present among us. You will find that Matt Attack has confirmed this number himself.

I have no Night or Day powers. No killing powers at all. It was a ruse I set up, intended to mask my helplessness. This powerlessness was why I told you all that you must provide, provide these 3 Cultist deaths for me, and why I referred to you as my fingers. my hands. The Mishima beef steak I referred to as me sleeping on it as my pillow and being unable to sleep at night because of the "stupid sand", was a thinly-veiled hint that I was a type of Vigilante that kept a weapon (a "stake") close by, and that I was restless at night, able to kill whoever visited me. This too was all a lie, a ruse intended to mask my powerlessness. There's more hints in my puzzles, and I will happily answer your questions regarding them, provide solutions and dispel the mystery for you.

My only power is a passive power that activates upon lynching, and prevents the Cultists from sacrificing anyone the Night after my lynching. The typed lore states that since I am the Old Ones' creator, my death would weaken them, and so lead to his handicap of the Cult.

My death seems inevitable now, but logically so. I had been planning to sacrifice myself at an opportune time for the Town's sake since the beginning. I've never cared about a personal win; everything I've done, I've done for the Town since the start, setting myself up as bait, a convenient patch of scummy fly-paper to latch convenient votes onto to allow others to pretend they're participating; classic Cultist/Mafia behaviour. I suggest you all take a closer look at who has been antagonizing me since the start--

ultron87
Matt Attack
Flame_AC
Timeaisis

--are the most pertinent ones off the top of my head. Do they honestly dislike me, or has it just been a convenient ruse for them? Please, be kind, rewind. My memory is entirely fallible, in honest truth I'm not that good at this whole analysis shtick. I prefer to fly-by-wire. ;) I haven't read the archives myself to reaffirm anything, at the moment.

It wasn't supposed to be this soon. :( As always, my intention was to hide in plain sight, positioning myself as a Neutral with the greatest power of all: information. Everyone loves information, and I wrapped it all up in neat little ribbons and twine and caltrops for you all to disentangle, if you so chose. Some of it was misinformation, like my G-Men faction existence claim, but most of it was intended for you to discover my Win condition; and, Solute 2 was intended to help you discover that I was indeed H. P. Lovecraft, should you have known a bit about his biography, and the standing correspondence he had with a Mr. R. H. Barlow in Florida (initially hinted by the Florida GIF of a guy turning off his mic and turning away; ORANGE (fruit), MIC (gif), STATE (Florida), ASSOCIATE (of Lovecraft), EXTRAPOLATE WITH RESEARCH (the lore behind the game)). The hints were all admittedly a bit abstract and obscure, but I am willing to field any and all questions now, regarding my puzzles and their solutions. Through this unique play-style, Town couldn't lynch me because I seem like an important informant, and Mafia wouldn't night-kill me because I provide a good daytime cover for them with my smokescreen of crazy. I literally make myself untouchable with words.

I provided the textual framework for my character build to you all, and I simply let you fill my mouth with words. The greatest fear is fear of the unknown, and all that. I let you create me. By placing small hints of information, I let your own imaginations run wild. I allowed you to convince yourselves that I was a potential serial killer, a potential vigilante, a potential protector role, by simply insinuating it through select choices of language and wordplay. I allowed myself to tease activity out of you all through my erratic posts, in the hopes I would flush potential cultists out, being an easy, convenient target, and all that.

I'd like to note; Darryl is a dangerous player who has been using me as a smokescreen since the beginning, and I don't know what he's been doing all this time. Has he simply been ignoring the game? Is he actually invested? Or has he been biding his time, reading all the little details and habits I've so conveniently pulled out of you all for him to avail of for free? He has been a non-entity for a very long time now. I highly suggest you start throwing some firewood underneath him before it's too late.

I also suggest you heat up Neuromancer, Droplet and OceanicAir in due course.

Anyways, I posted 'Fool,' as a dramatic reflex, before realizing the gravity of my Jenga like two seconds later. #xanatos

I've probably left out a bunch and forgotten to mention stuff, so I guess I'll start taking questions now. :eek:

---

Also, I warn you all; Matt Attack has framed himself as an Town investigator/spy, but his existence was stated to me in my role PM, that someone was actively hunting me. The description in my role PM seemingly framed him as my antagonist, my opposite, literally stating that he is someone who should not be on this island, one who should not be part of this story and as someone who was out to get me from the very start. Since I am a Neutral pro-Town party, I am guessing that he is a Neutral pro-Cult individual, but I am completely unsure. Glean from that what you will.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

^This was my infodump that I had planned to drop in the case of my death. I tried to update it as events passed, so some of it has already been stated, some of it may be redundant in light of recent info; but, here is the whole thing. I hope it helps convince you to do the right thing today, and tonight. Matt Attack must die. He is confirmed anti-Town, and self-confirmed, no less.

You think my play-style has been anti-Town? You have been gravely mistaken. I have been pro-Town from the start. I always play pro-Town, even if my methods are questionable. A bad cop, yo.

Lawful Evil as ever.

Ask me questions, please. And townsfolk, keep me alive for as long as you can tonight and through subsequent nights, until my sacrifice power can actually mean something.

I don't fear death, lynching.

What I truly fear is wasting my life, and my role.

Sorian

Banned
Congrats, you have a career in politics ahead of you.

I'll be over, being right all the time.

It's fairly obvious you are town (or the most ruthless mafia ever, wrecking a teammate right from the start) so I'll level with you. You aren't going to be right all the time, if you trap yourself in that mindset then you are going to screw this up royally before the game is out. You made a good call day 1, I have no doubt about that, that's not how every single one of your hunches is going to go.

RetroMG

Hmm. So assuming we believe this, (it is possible that Blarg is lying to save himself,) then there is no need to lynch Blarg tonight. If the Cult takes him, then they have wasted their lynch tonight, and if not, we can move on and save Blarg for when we need him.

Rats' point is beginning to make more sense.

(Although, will we still be spending every day debating what to do with Blarg?)

It's fairly obvious you are town (or the most ruthless mafia ever, wrecking a teammate right from the start) so I'll level with you. You aren't going to be right all the time, if you trap yourself in that mindset then you are going to screw this up royally before the game is out. You made a good call day 1, I have no doubt about that, that's not how every single one of your hunches is going to go.

I don't disagree.

Pretty sure I'm right about this one, though.

So, eh, I was reviewin' the logs from last night, from before I arrived at the island, and I'm pretty sure that Darryl's more trustworthy than he's makin' himself out t' be.

Not only was he one'a the only two folks to keep their vote on th' deceased cultist all day, but he's also the person whom said cultist was votin' for at the end of the day.

Now, I've heard of card sharks connin' card sharks, but I find it highly unlikely that two cultists would be tryin' t' off each other on th' very first day.

All I'm sayin' is that maybe we should be puttin' more stock into Darryl's votes cuz he was right on the money last time and the only confirmed cultist thus far seemed to want 'im gone as well.

Sorian

Banned
Hmm. So assuming we believe this, (it is possible that Blarg is lying to save himself,) then there is no need to lynch Blarg tonight. If the Cult takes him, then they have wasted their lynch tonight, and if not, we can move on and save Blarg for when we need him.

My issue is what if a cultist is specifically tasked with sacrificing Lovecraft as a way to "boost" their power? The cultists have power roles too, I see no reason why they may not have one tied to this.

You need to kill me today.

My twin shuttle orbital slingshot plan to 800 feet won't work, since Matt Attack revealed himself to be a limited Investigator (or so he says) that can only investigate others to find out if they're Lovecraft or not, so...

I'm ready

Make us whole again

So, eh, I was reviewin' the logs from last night, from before I arrived at the island, and I'm pretty sure that Darryl's more trustworthy than he's makin' himself out t' be.

Not only was he one'a the only two folks to keep their vote on th' deceased cultist all day, but he's also the person whom said cultist was votin' for at the end of the day.

Now, I've heard of card sharks connin' card sharks, but I find it highly unlikely that two cultists would be tryin' t' off each other on th' very first day.

All I'm sayin' is that maybe we should be puttin' more stock into Darryl's votes cuz he was right on the money last time and the only confirmed cultist thus far seemed to want 'im gone as well.

Darryl's the only one I trust on this island right now.

Sorian

Banned

I fully admit its a stretch which is why I have no intention of pursuing it unless something else comes to the front but if Darryl were a cultist, the way I see it, Prodigy jumped the gun on his horrible defense, the rest of the cult got the bright idea to pin up Prodigy as a sacrifice to make the rest of them seem trustworthy. Darryl goes Darryl around the thread, tells Prodigy to call him out which leads to a back and forth and at the end of it Darryl has a vote on Prodigy that makes a lot of sense, his vote was on the now dead cultist, he looks clean. Mix it with his item claim that we still can't dispute and Darryl looks like a squeaky clean tourist. Do I think he's cult at the moment? No. Can he be? Yes. One minor slip up and this scenario suddenly makes a lot more sense.

RetroMG

I fully admit its a stretch which is why I have no intention of pursuing it unless something else comes to the front but if Darryl were a cultist, the way I see it, Prodigy jumped the gun on his horrible defense, the rest of the cult got the bright idea to pin up Prodigy as a sacrifice to make the rest of them seem trustworthy. Darryl goes Darryl around the thread, tells Prodigy to call him out which leads to a back and forth and at the end of it Darryl has a vote on Prodigy that makes a lot of sense, his vote was on the now dead cultist, he looks clean. Mix it with his item claim that we still can't dispute and Darryl looks like a squeaky clean tourist. Do I think he's cult at the moment? No. Can he be? Yes. One minor slip up and this scenario suddenly makes a lot more sense.

This is not an unrealistic theory. In fact, it would be very similar to how he played in last season's game.

This is not an unrealistic theory. In fact, it would be very similar to how he played in last season's game.

At this point I think it's more likely that he knows somethin' but doesn't wanna paint a target on his back.

I need t' hear more from Charleston soon though. He still hasn't put up an adequate defense in my eyes.

RetroMG

At this point I think it's more likely that he knows somethin' but doesn't wanna paint a target on his back.

I need t' hear more from Charleston soon though. He still hasn't put up an adequate defense in my eyes.

I should clarify: I don't think Darryl is Mafia this game. But last game he taught me to question everyone. I thought he was town right until the second to last day, had to throw myself under the bus to prove he was Mafia, and he STILL almost won.

Sorian

Banned
I should clarify: I don't think Darryl is Mafia this game. But last game he taught me to question everyone. I thought he was town right until the second to last day, had to throw myself under the bus to prove he was Mafia, and he STILL almost won.

At the end of the day, this will always be town's strongest power. No need to waste it thinking someone is untouchable or whatever other non-sense. If someone does something shady then question them. The only people it hurts is cultists trying to make up a story.

At the end of the day, this will always be town's strongest power. No need to waste it thinking someone is untouchable or whatever other non-sense. If someone does something shady then question them. The only people it hurts is cultists trying to make up a story.

OVERRIDE: Sorian

Oh, what's that?

The perks of being H.P. Lovecraft come with author's final editing privileges.

I'll say one more thing in Blarg's defense, then I'm done. I swear.

Look at how piiful the Blarg defense force is compared to the opposition. Congratulations, Tourists, you've managed to find common ground with the enemy. Bully for all of you.

Sorian

Banned
I'll say one more thing in Blarg's defense, then I'm done. I swear.

Look at how piiful the Blarg defense force is compared to the opposition. Congratulations, Tourists, you've managed to find common ground with the enemy. Bully for all of you.

To be fair, who can realistically go against the Blarg vote without looking like a bad guy at the end? "Hey, hey! Don't kill that guy! it'll inconvenience us for tonight it makes no sense to do that!"

Coppanuva

OVERRIDE: Sorian

Oh, what's that?

The perks of being H.P. Lovecraft come with author's final editing privileges.

I... what. So you override his vote, to who exactly?

Also can someone tally up a vote count? I've been kinda swamped at work this afternoon and haven't been able to count it up. If I vote on blargonaut right now do I end the night too early? I need his numbers higher but I don't want to end it...

Top Bottom