• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 5 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

psKONpx.jpg

Bride of Frankenstein (1935) (Oct 3)

I'm glad you liked it, Bride is one of my favorite movies in the genre. Not being blown away by Dracula and the Mummy is almost par for the course. Outside of the main performances they are not that great. I can recommend The Invisible Man based off of Claude Rains performance alone. Like the original Frankenstein and Bride, it was directed by James Whale and introduce many of the more comedic and straight up wacky influences that found its way in Bride.

Since you're working your way through the Universal boxset, I can't recommend enough that you go out of your way to get the next sequel in the Frankenstein series, Son of Frankenstein. There are numerous continuity issues with its predecessors, but it managed to keep the quality of the series in tact. Bela Lugosi also manages to not only knock it out of the park with his performance, but in my opinion upstages his iconic role as Dracula.

Are you a fan of Young Frankenstein? You may have noticed how many scenes it lifted from Bride, well it also manages to lift just as many scenes from Son. If you haven't seen Young Frankenstein, you need to get on that as well.

I'm glad you liked it, Bride is one of my favorite movies in the genre. Not being blown away by Dracula and the Mummy is almost par for the course. Outside of the main performances they are not that great. I can recommend The Invisible Man based off of Claude Rains performance alone. Like the original Frankenstein and Bride, it was directed by James Whale and introduce many of the more comedic and straight up wacky influences that found its way in Bride.

Since you're working your way through the Universal boxset, I can't recommend enough that you go out of your way to get the next sequel in the Frankenstein series, Son of Frankenstein. There are numerous continuity issues with its predecessors, but it managed to keep the quality of the series in tact. Bela Lugosi also manages to not only knock it out of the park with his performance, but in my opinion upstages his iconic role as Dracula.

Are you a fan of Young Frankenstein? You may have noticed how many scenes it lifted from Bride, well it also manages to lift just as many scenes from Son. If you haven't seen Young Frankenstein, you need to get on that as well.

I'm really looking forward to getting to the Invisible Man. I've been watching the extras on the blu-rays as well and they've shown bits and pieces of it in the various featurettes. It looks great. I just couldn't fit it into the marathon. I'll probably watch it in November after I've recovered a bit.

I only have the Essentals blu-ray set and Son of Frankenstein isn't included. I recall last year seeing cheap Universal Legacy DVD sets for each classic monster, but they had a lot of repeated movies over the sets so I didn't bother picking any up. Maybe I'll grab the Frank-o one if I happen upon it in a store.

Young Frankenstein is one I somehow missed while growing up and another that I couldn't fit in the marathon this year. I have it in the Mel Brooks Collection set though, but I haven't even started on that set yet.

But I do love Bride of Re-Animator, Weird Science and of course Frankenhooker :)

Steamlord

Re: Universal horror films - I highly recommend The Black Cat to anyone who's into stuff from that era and hasn't already seen it. It's literally Karloff vs Lugosi, both of whom give great performances, and it has an awesome Expressionist visual style.

#08 - The Leopard Man

Another solid outing from the legendary Lewton/Tourneur duo. I love the tasteful subtlety of their films in an era when other horror filmmakers were trying to one-up each other with silly spectacle. It doesn't reach the heights of Cat People, but it's still pretty darn good.

#09 - A Bay of Blood

Reasonably enjoyable, but it didn't feel as effortlessly stylish as a lot of Bava's 60s films. The plot felt kind of thrown together, even for a giallo. Still, there were some impressive kill scenes, and I loved the ending purely because it was so absurd and had no reason to be there at all.

Linkhero1

Black Cat has been on my list since I watched the Cinemassacre Monster Madness video.

I must admit that I have never seen any of the monster films from the past, so I might have to modify my list a bit to include some :)

halfbeast

Banned
The Visit
What a movie to start my horrorvaganza with! Actually, it felt like I was cheating, because horror this movie is not. I think many people already explained the plot, so I won't bore you with any of the details. Would I recommend it, though? If you're easily amused at something failing at something simple, sure give it a try. If you go in and expect it to be what it claims to be, you're gonna have a bad time (fyi the spooky noises from the trailer are missing and therefore not creating an atmosphere at all).

I rate it a lol out of nah.

Akahige

October 3:

Byzantium (2012) - Beautiful and surprising within the vampire horror sub-genre an original story, stunning cinematography, & very good performances by the entire cast, so far the best film of 31 Days of Horror. The film is more gothic fantasy than horror, the mood is stylish & alluring, most vampire lore is anchored by a narration framing device not unfamiliar to Neil Jordan's last vampire film Interview with the Vampire, and it is similar in a few way to that film but the narrative is less vapid & over the top compared to that one. This would make for a good double showing with Only Lovers Left Alive, similar romantic vibes but this one relies less on the traditional. This is the best vampire film since Park Chan-wook's Thirst imo.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
- I had read a lot of good things about this film for awhile, I didn't get the praise at all, some films I don't like but I can understand why others would enjoy them but this one not at all. This has about enough of a plot line to fill a 5 minute music video, the acting is pretty hackish from most of the cast, the cinematography had this poor lighting look to it that indie films shot on digital cameras all seem to have but it was more obvious in this due to the black and white imagery. Almost entirely hated this one.

Sagroth

Earlier today I watched Takashi Miike's "As the Gods Will." It was quite a bit better than I was expecting. Not necessarily all that scary, but entertaining and quite disturbing in parts. It has a lot in common with Battle Royale as well.

Re: Universal horror films - I highly recommend The Black Cat to anyone who's into stuff from that era and hasn't already seen it. It's literally Karloff vs Lugosi, both of whom give great performances, and it has an awesome Expressionist visual style.

"Slowly. Bit by Bit." Cool Movie.

Off to a bit of a late start but I finished my first and am about to hop into my second film.

---

OP

cbLwjxC.png

This is better than I expected it to be. Especially with the straight to VHS ties. It's by no means great (or good maybe) but it was fun enough.
The leech lady puppet had me dry heaving which is more of a reaction than most horror films get out of me.
I'm morbidly curious about the sequels (there's so many!!!) now.

ElTopo

Banned
Off to a bit of a late start but I finished my first and am about to hop into my second film.

---

zEFOTIf.png

This is better than I expected it to be. Especially with the straight to VHS ties. It's by no means great (or good maybe) but it was fun enough.
The leech lady puppet had me dry heaving which is more of a reaction than most horror films get out of me.

I'd check out parts 2 and 3 and stop there. Maybe 4 and 5 if you're curious. But seriously, don't go any further than that.

I'd check out parts 2 and 3 and stop there. Maybe 4 and 5 if you're curious. But seriously, don't go any further than that.

The whole franchise is bundled on amazon for like $20 so I might pick that up sometime and just watch 2/3 and go from there. Thanks for the warning on the other ones.

ElTopo

Banned
The whole franchise is bundled on amazon for like $20 so I might pick that up sometime and just watch 2/3 and go from there. Thanks for the warning on the other ones.

I think you might be paying too much. I'd go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Y5JYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can buy it used for a penny. Might be heavily compressed because all 3 movies are on 1 disk.

Then if you want to see 4 and 5 buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050UEVFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm telling you, it really, really goes downhill after part 5 and never recovers.

matt360

#2 Night of the Creeps (1986)
Director: Fred Dekker
YeYD7jd.gif

Pretty good classic 80's horror

This is your classic tale of alien slug parasites turning a small college community into zombies. Tom Atkins was a total badass in this film, walking around throwing one liners to everyone he meets. There's a lot of good comedy in this film too but when it gets to more dramatic scenes the whole tone of the film can change. EX:
when the detective is admitting to killing the escaped mental patient that killed his ex girlfriend, or Chris listening to the tape JC left his dying message on.
The films pacing is pretty good, it never lingers on one scene for too long.

Good film, I recommend.

Bonus!

This movie is worth watching simply for Tom Atkins. He's incredible in this movie.

---

zEFOTIf.png

Part 3 is about as good as it gets with puppet master. It's already been mentioned, but be careful going past that.

lordxar

Caligari is a pretty cool film but holy shit...silent movies are not for me. Made it through act two and stopped for now.

I think you might be paying too much. I'd go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Y5JYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can buy it used for a penny. Might be heavily compressed because all 3 movies are on 1 disk.

Then if you want to see 4 and 5 buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050UEVFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm telling you, it really, really goes downhill after part 5 and never recovers.

Didn't notice those when I searched on Amazon for some reason. I'll wishlist the first one to maybe get back to later, thanks.

Part 3 is about as good as it gets with puppet master. It's already been mentioned, but be careful going past that.

Stopping at 3 seems to be the general consensus I'm seeing here and elsewhere online so far. I'll be sure to do so if I ever get around to 2/3.

---

OP

oOvYZ2c.png

It's late/early and I stayed up all night so I don't have a lot to say about this one. It was really good though. I was surprised by how similar it was to Pan's Labyrinth.

So I watched Sleepaway Camp.

I already knew the twist ending going in unfortunately. That said that last shot looked comedically fake.You could tell it was just a wax figure or whatever. It was a pretty good film. Much more enjoyable than say any of the Friday the 13th films.

Endy MacK

Movie #1
Oct 1
Title: Would You Rather (Netflix)

This movie was pretty bad, albeit entertaining for the few laughs I had at its expense. What can I say? Sick curiosity got the better of me, and I wanted to see how disturbing it could be. The most disturbing for me was when the dude
cuts his eye ball with a razor blade

The plot is about as deep as the title of the movie, and nothing more. There is zero character development, so I didn't care about any of them. You've been warned!

Movie #2
Oct 3
Title: Evil Dead (2013)
Format: Netflix

I thought that this movie was really well done; much more entertaining than I expected it to be. It pays homage to the original in a lot of subtle,well-executed ways; references don't feel shoehorned in, or in your face. The movie is extremely gory, without feeling tacky, or campy. Also, there is something about the visual style that I found beautiful -especially any outdoor scenes, or external shots of the cabin-

I will definitely re-watch this movie in future years.

So I watched Sleepaway Camp.

I already knew the twist ending going in unfortunately. That said that last shot looked comedically fake.You could tell it was just a wax figure or whatever. It was a pretty good film. Much more enjoyable than say any of the Friday the 13th films.

Was a mask on a person

Ridley327

TNFhi0H.png

It's late/early and I stayed up all night so I don't have a lot to say about this one. It was really good though. I was surprised by how similar it was to Pan's Labyrinth.

The Devil's Backbone is actually a little bit of a prequel to Pan's Labyrinth as far as its historical backdrop is concerned. This film starts towards the end of the Spanish Civil War, with Franco coming into power as the nation was heading right into WWII, which is where Pan's Labyrinth takes place. And Federico Luppi, of course.

NIGHT-

Watch list

Pre October

1. Unfriended
2. The Visit
3. Joyride
4. The Faculty
5. The Gift

October

1. The Fog (John carpenter)
2. Prom Night (1980)
3. From Dusk till Dawn
4. Christine
5. The Strangers
6. Misery

7. About to watch "Body bags" for the first time. I've heard mixed things about it, but I love me some John Carpenter!

matt360

#4 - Tenebre
y8DC8HJm.jpg

At the recommendation of posters here in the thread, I gave Tenebre a shot. It can definitely be said that this year's theme is Italian for me. I really enjoyed the premise of this one, and had fun with it from start to finish. Like I've said in earlier posts, I'm fairly new to the giallo genre, but so far everything is clicking with me. The music, the lighting, the shots, the dubbing, the gore. They are cheesy as hell, but from the ones I've seen, there is something haunting about them that sticks with you.

As for Tenebre in particular, I thought the mystery was fairly well done. It was great to see John Saxon in there, with his nice, new hat. Usually with these murder mystery movies, I don't really give a shit who the killer is, and just kinda go along for the ride. But I found the mystery here to be pretty effective. I haven't seen enough of the genre to know if everything was top form here, but I definitely liked it a lot.

Penguin

Movie 7 - Fright Night (Remake)

I've seen this before, but remember having a mixed opinion on it.

This time I really enjoyed it. The only part that kind of dragged for me was the whole fight/chase in the Vegas near the middle of the film.

The rest. The tension of trying to break out of the house. The build-up. The car chase, the climax. Really fun time.

Recommend

Blader

Catching up on some reviews:

pA87bzk.jpg
v01xVqe.jpg
IgEtc1v.jpg

Frankenstein
Definitely a step up from Dracula. Karloff is menacing as hell in that makeup, but Colin Clive and Dwight Frye (again playing the creepy servant here) put in great work too. Where Dracula felt stiff, this movie feels lively. Two famous scenes here -- the monster innocently tossing the little girl into the lake, and the villagers burning the mill down -- still hold up today.

The Mummy
And a step back down again. The mummy makeup looked so good, it's a shame it doesn't appear again after the first 10 minutes. While Karloff is again killing it on the intimidation factor, the plot just feels slow and not all that engaging. It also doesn't have the great sets or gothic atmosphere that the first two Universal movies boasted so well. Not awful, but probably my least favorite so far.

The Invisible Man
And we're back up again! So far it looks like James Whale is the key ingredient for separating the good Universal monster movies from the mediocre ones. Impressive fx (for the time especially, but even now they still look fine) and Claude Rains gives one hell of a crazed performance. Like Frankenstein, this movie feels so much faster paced and more dynamic in its editing than Dracula or The Mummy, and it's the first one that feels like there are real stakes involved -- Griffin kills dozens of people and wreaks havoc all over the place!

Gameboy415

1. The Apparition (DVD)

2. The Gate (DVD)

51a4UBCNMaL._SY445_.jpg

-I discovered this awesome movie thanks to a recommendation in a previous year's thread and it's become one of my all-time favorites! :D

3. Gate II (DVD)

7275.jpg

-I got a DVD copy of this from VHSPS at Chicago Comic Con last year but didn't get around to watching it til now. It's definitely not as good as the original, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

BioHazard

Did an Al Adamson double feature:

weflJ4z.png

#4. Blood of Dracula's Castle (1969)

Viewed On: VOD

Starts off OK, then trails off in to typical low-budget dracula fare. Although, I find the premise hilarious: that a more civilized Dracula and his wife are getting kicked out by their new landlord. So they must kill him lol. John Carradine tho,

I give this film 2 bags of popcorn (out of 5)

Gy8XhlY.png

#5. Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971)

Viewed On: VOD

Despire their names in the title, Dracula and Frankenstein (the monster) have very little screen time. Less of a creature feature and more of a murder mystery noir almost. Still, quite boring. It does feature this great RING LASER DEATH RAY kill by Dracula

I give this film 2 bags of popcorn (out of 5)

My watched list so far

Penguin

I got to say since focusing on reboots and remakes, meaning more recent movies, cell phones are a thing that is a big hinder to alotof these movies.

Most of them just put the characters in areas with no cell phone reception or dunk it in water...

I wonder what's the most creative use of cell phones is.

lordxar

ABCs of Death is pretty cool, very weird, and fucking nuts. I give it four bizarre mutations. Don't really know what to say its such a mixed bag with 26 different directors making 26 different shorts. Very cool idea though.

Quikies83

---

zEFOTIf.png

Awesome! Used to love these movies when I was kid. I remember being 8 and sleeping over at an older friend's house one night for his birthday -- his parents let him rent a couple horror movies and this was one. I distinctly remember the leach lady making me feel funny :)

edit: Stop after the 3rd

q6YIgCQ.gif

Criterion week continues with films I watched on Friday and Saturday. The first film was...

Film 2: The Haunted Strangler (1958)

3oFkhrA.jpg

This was part of the CC streaming on Hulu. I was immediately attracted to this picture because it stars Boris Karloff who plays an investigator looks to resurrect a 20 year old case about a serial killer who may have been wrongly hanged for those crimes. My rating was a 5 out of 10.

Film 3: Don't Look Now (1973)

6hpNELr.jpg

Last night, I got to see a film that I have been saving for the marathon. It stars Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, a couple living in Italy and dealing with the death of their young daughter. A very well done film that starts off very slow but keeps you interested until the very end when the horror finally begins. Highly recommended!!

Divius

ORgqp8m.png

#02 - Splinter (2008)
It is one of those 'some people get locked in at a tank station because there is a monster outside' kind of movies. Its short run time of a mere 82 minutes actually works in it favor, because any longer would've been too long. It works because of its fast-paced tempo that doesn't leave much room for dull moments. There's some throwaway characters and actually quite interesting monster concept, but we don't get to see the monster, any time it is shown on screen there is so much shaky cam everything is a bloody blur. Shame. 6/10

Penguin

Movie 8 - The Hills Have Eyes (Remake)

This was really good. Bloody, but not very gorey. Even had some characters you end up liking, which a lot of recent films seems to skip over.

5 – Hellraiser

“Jesus wept…”

Dli4K9W.png

My first rewatch of the month, and an absolutely fantastic movie. As gorgeous as it is gory, with excellent performances and some fantastic practical effects, this is not a film I ever get bored of. The Cenobites remain as nightmarish as ever, the hooks on chains still make me wince when they find their target, and the injury to Larry’s hand that sets everything in motion I still find really hard to watch. The initial resurrection of Frank brought about by that injury is probably my favourite scene in all horror cinema; from the moment the bones punch up from the floorboards, to the head back, messy skeleton howl at the end, it’s just pure bloody awesome.

Admittedly, the film has got some cheesy dialogue, and the sparsely used non-practical effects have aged badly. Also, when the Engineer chases heroine Kirsty down the corridor that appears in a hospital wall at one point, you can clearly see the trolley the creature’s being pushed on. But that just adds to the glory of it all.

Verdict: A bone-fide must-see classic.

Aiii

So not worth it
Movie #1: Chakushin ari a.k.a. One Missed Call (2003) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #2: Cropsey (2009) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #3: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #4: Starry Eyes (2014) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #5: Ôdishon a.k.a. Audition (1999) - 4/5 Stars

1011541123jmswt.jpg

Movie #6: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Guillermo Del Toro co-wrote this remake of the 1973 classic movie, starring Guy Pierce, Katie Holmes and young Bailee Madison, playing a father, his young girlfriend and his daughter who renovate an old mansion that houses gremlin like creates that prey on children. And that’s all there’s to it. The story is pretty standard, the father who won’t believe his daughters claims of seeing the creatures, even after his girlfriend finds some fairly solid, but circumstantial, evidence to support her claims. It goes down pretty much as you would expect.

Bailee Madison does a great job for a 10-ish year old, much better than most child actors in horror-flicks tend to do, however, the movie plays more as a fantasy than a horror, not ever really getting scary or gory. I’d say maybe five to ten minutes of horror appears in this film. The gremlin-like creatures that prowl around are silly looking CGI creatures, which doesn’t help matters.

The sets and soundtrack for this film are outstanding on the other hand and there’s a decent guest role for Alan Dale.

All in all, it isn’t a great horror movie, but the performances, sets and soundtrack help matters.

2.5 watered down Gizmo’s out of 5.

inm8num2

#4 - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
5baDocp.jpg

I really liked this but perhaps not as much as the first Vampire Hunter D. Bloodlust is absolutely gorgeous - the animation and backgrounds are great. There isn't much in the way of horror, but the atmosphere evokes that classic gothic romance that is a staple of the genre. There's a good balance of sci-fi, western, and horror elements to go along with plenty of action and blood. Overall a very enjoyable film.

viewing list

Jal

UKBLvRh.jpg

Wes Craven's Short Circuit meets Frankenstein on Elm Street. This film is goofy as shit and feels more like a family movie in tone aside from the gory scenes. Apparently Craven's original cut didn't go down well at the screening and the studio made him put in extra gore to please the horror fans. The beginning had me wanting to reach for the remote with the (more annoying than Jar Jar Binks) robot stuff but i did start to enjoy it somewhat before the terrible ending.

5/10

Snake

uRpvyIs.png

#5: Wolves (2014)

About what you would expect from a low-budget werewolf movie directed by David Hayter. Not a great use of a late saturday night. Avoid.

Tom Atkins is incredible in pretty much everything.

Tom "Thrill Me" Atkins is one of my favourite faces to pop up in a movie. Love that dude.

He's also the reason I can't get into the How Did This Get Made podcast because they were kind of dumping on him in the Halloween III podcast.

#4 - Tenebre
{snip}
I haven't seen enough of the genre to know if everything was top form here, but I definitely liked it a lot.

Glad you liked it! Did you get a hold of any more Argento for the month?

Day 4: Poltergeist ´15

mpKZg.png

Drats. I'm going to have to watch that eventually because I'm a big fan of Sam Rockwell. I'm in no rush though.

Divius

TmWABao.png

#03 - The Hunger (1983)
This movie opens with a bang; an incredibly awesome opening scene had me hooked immediately, although it never quite reaches that level again. Very atmospheric and stylistic vampire movie with an original angle. It is quite somber, dark and depressing. Never scary though. Impressive first full length feature from Tony Scott. Fun to see his style which would develop throughout his career later on. 6.5/10

Man, it bums me out so much we never got the sequel they kept saying was coming.

I hope the TV series or whatever they're saying is coming next (yeah, right) is good because I loved the reboot.

I think Paramount is supposed to be coming out with a new movie next year (at least that what I read), but as a "standalone" this works.

220px-Bubbahotepnovellacover.jpg

Bubba Ho-Tep

Had this for awhile and always been intrigued as I'm a sucker for comedy horror like this. I was kind of disappointed though. Bruce Campbell is great in the role, and Ossie Davis was really good too (some really funny one-liners), but the whole movie just seemed so anti-climactic. It was very slow, with little action, and the action that was there just seemed to end abruptly, and the ending didn't really seem to fit in with the theme of the film. A decent watch but nowhere near top tier like Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

6/10

JAGII

Neo Member
I don’t think I’ve posted on GAF since last year’s marathon, and even then I had to duck out early due to real life becoming awful, but I am so ready to jump in this year.

October 1 – Invaders from Mars (1986, Dir. Tobe Hooper)

invaders_from_mars_1986_bud_cort_martians_aliens.jpg

One of my favorite parts of getting into horror as an adult has been going back and watching the movies that had VHS art or commercials that terrified me as a kid. Invaders from Mars is one of the last on this list, and I’m sad to say it was pretty disappointing. The story, while functional, has little impact or tension to set it apart from the other 50’s remakes of the 80’s, and the studio interference that followed Hooper’s previous film Lifeforce makes its way on the screen in the form of limp direction and flat looking cinematography. Louise Fletcher and Bud Cort add a bit of flavor, but I couldn’t help thinking of Night of the Creeps, and how much it needed a Tom Atkins to thrill me.

GRADE: C

October 2 – The Nightmare (2015, Dir. Rodney Ascher)

NIGHTMAREASCHERREV.jpg

I have some mixed feelings about this one. Ascher’s follow-up to 2012’s Room 237, The Nightmare documents the experiences of eight people who have suffered night terrors. A mix of talking head interviews and re-enactments, the film feels very similar to Room 237 as you, the viewer, find yourself interpreting the subjects as the subjects explain themselves. Even though I found some of the re-enactments to be kind of corny, especially those involving a pair of aliens with tv static for skin, most were quite frightening, especially the red-eyed shadow men. Furthermore, the documentary format increased the terror for me, as I had to watch real people explain the things that were happening to them. Although I wanted to dismiss many of them as crazy or traumatized, as I did the Room 237 theorists, but the talking head pieces forced me to suspend my disbelief and, at the very least, empathize with them.

GRADE: B+

October 3 – Spring (2014, Dirs. Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead)

hero_Spring_2015_1.jpg

Spring has been on my radar for a while, but all I knew was that it was a horror/romance movie and that I should know as little as possible going into it. So I won’t say much beyond that and that I really loved it. It was beautifully shot and well-acted. Not terribly scary, except for a few scenes, but definitely worth watching.

GRADE: A

October 4th – Resolution (2012, Dirs. Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead)

Resolution.jpg

I liked Spring so much that I decided to toss aside my list and check out Benson and Moorehead’s first movie, Resolution. The story of a settled family man who tries to force his crack addicted former best friend to get clean by chaining him to the wall of his unfinished one-room house. It’s really hard to talk about this movie on its own terms, and not just because it gets metatextual about horror. It compares most obviously to The Cabin in the Woods, but one might also think of Sinister, Man Bites Dog, or Funny Games as well. But where those films use their postmodern freedom to indulge in their own cleverness, Resolution grounds the story in the relationship between the two main characters and makes you care about them. You find yourself torn, as a viewer, between genuine empathy for them and your expectations as the viewer of a horror movie. The movie never does an obvious wink to the camera, nor is it anywhere as quippy as Cabin (though it is, actually, quite funny in parts), but rather asks you to think about the enjoyment of horror stories in a more humane manner.

GRADE: A-

matt360

Tom "Thrill Me" Atkins is one of my favourite faces to pop up in a movie. Love that dude.

Glad you liked it! Did you get a hold of any more Argento for the month?

And Tom Atkins is in The Fog? I'm gonna have to give that a watch as well. I've seen the Tom Welling remake (weird, second time I've mentioned him in this thread), but never the original.

And yes for more Argento! I've still got Deep Red and Inferno on my list, and maaaaybe Phenomenon, along with more Fulci and Soavi, as was recommended by you and some others earlier in the thread. I'm eating it all up this year! Maybe I should've saved The Editor for the end of the month, but I feel like I know enough about the genre to really appreciate what it was doing.

As far as Lucio "Grandfather of Gore" Fulci goes, what are his goriest movies? I loved Don't Torture a Duckling, but there wasn't much gore there. A couple brutal scenes, but nothing crazy sfx-wise.

Top Bottom