• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

squidyj

As no roles/powers/abilities (what do you call them?) have been used, there is no information to go off of on day 1, so I'm finding all the predictions based on solely on posting activity a bit amusing. There really can't be substantial discussion until players start using their roles.

Suggesting someone is scum because they don't respond to you in the window of a few hours is silly. I may only check GAF once a day; this does not make me scum. Similarly, posting more often does not make you a townie.

Vote: Royal_Flush

Also, 3rd GAF post, whoo!

this is either incredibly naive or incredibly suspect.
p.s. Fallout is trying to consume my life, send help.

RetroMG

The Night Vale Daily Journal has announced that they will be cutting back their publication schedule to Monday through Thursday only, due to the economic downturn and a massive decline in the literate population. The Thursday Daily Journal will now be called the Weekend Edition, and on Sundays, newspaper kiosks usually filled with important newsprint will be filled with 2% milk. When asked why milk, the Journal's publishing editor Leann Hart said, "It is important that we maintain an unbiased approach to news reporting."

Current Votes

darklighter (6)
scraftydevil 136 (447)
coppanuva 280 (298)
fireblend 450
royal_flush 454
unmasked ferret 541
ultrajay 544
scraftydevil 568
trigger 592

scraftydevil (2)
karu 149
pop-o-matic 182
sorian 457 (501)

trigger (2)
razmos 155
mike_hawk689 394

mike_hawk689 (2)
coppanuva 200 (254)
fireblend 265 (450)
ty4on 461
coppanuva 566

setre (2)
mazre 502
tl21xx 528

no lynch (2)
gryvan 389
setre 571

unmasked ferret (1)
boo boo'n 169
squidyj 170 (351)
sorian 256 (310)
ultrajay 279 (414)
ty4on 328 (461)

royal_flush (1)
unmasked ferret 172 (541)
darklighter 531

razmos (1)
squidyj 351

stanleypalmtree (1)
absolutbro 466

tl21xx (1)
sorian 501

Players with no votes have been omitted.

24 hours remaining in Day 1.

Trigger

Oh, and for the sake of transparency: I'm planning to post a "translated" version of Scrafty's posts (or at least keep my own copies of them). If you all would prefer I not, I won't post them. For the most part this is going to simply be them stripped of flavor with a rough interpretation for when they go way hidden in meaning. If it's more than just deleting a word, or it's some weird word (like dag), I'll replace it with something in [hard brackets] to signify that's my interpretation of it. For the most part, it's deleting a lot of words like "Like"

If Scrafty doesn't object than I'm fine with them. I don't think that her flavor text is that confusing to read.

Translated:

What the hell is this. Also, character bs aside Scrafty, what's your argument against Karu's vote? From what I could tell you think it's because he "voted before we knew that whomever got the most votes got killed", which is just plain bullshit. Even as a character that is clearly outlined in the rules and it's a stupid way to argue against it. Is this your fancy way of saying that it shouldn't count because it was from the RNG?

Either way, I'd still like Karu to explain himself, and let us know if that vote still counts.

latest

He like, voted for me using the spinny thingy, right? I just wanna know if like, he still wants to keep that vote there based on reads or if he wants to like, change it.

Coppanuva

First of all let me address the most important part of that post. Yooooo my bad on the spoiler lol didnt think about it. Like sorian said it's a pretty early one so it won't change much.

Regarding seath and trigger, to be honest I would vote for both but I don't have the power to do so. I won't let seath slide but I'm intrigued with what he has under his sleeve.

Fair enough, the way I read it you sounded like you were letting Seath go with it. You answered it at least, so for now my vote moves on to the next person.

VOTE: ScraftyDevil

My question for you is above. Also, as a note I'm fully willing to vote for someone outside of the list of my suspects if they don't answer my questions. This vote stays until you explain it.

Although Seath is ridiculous, I don't see the worth of voting for him at this time. He is a policy lynch and I get that and would be willing to back it if I had to but we aren't going to learn anything from that voting record and it's not as beneficial as voting out someone completely inactive since Seath is around enough to post at least.

I agree on this. It's why I didn't put Seath in my list of people I'd vote for. I think Darklighter is a much more beneficial pick in the long-term. He's not participating enough, and when he has he hasn't done anything to help us too much. I had him at the top of my list of inactive lynches for a reason. That said, nobody turbo. He has my unofficial vote for now, because I don't want his counter moved up.

Coppanuva

VOTE: ScraftyDevil

My question for you is above. Also, as a note I'm fully willing to vote for someone outside of the list of my suspects if they don't answer my questions. This vote stays until you explain it.

...And while I was posting this she responded. Fair enough. This vote will move on once I figure out who else I want to put pressure on. I don't see pressure votes on DarkLighter being either needed, or particularly conducive to conversation right now (the guy just won't post), so I'll find someone else shortly.

Coppanuva

Oh hey I decided on...

Vote: Ty4on

Specifically, I'm curious if you still want your vote on Mike_Hawk. Has your opinion changed on him any since he's been more active? Mine keeps waffling admittedly, but you've kept your vote on him and seemed intent on it.

Karu

Either way, I'd still like Karu to explain himself, and let us know if that vote still counts.
Like... sure, whatever... you know?

I voted based on the wheel - especially at the time I had no idea of what's standard procedure, usual D1-tradition - and while some changed their vote I'm not so sure what's actually going on as in "Does anyone has a plan that's better?" Now, of course I've read the thread and there are speculations etc. but nothing that is so critical that I felt forced to change my vote immediately. I may have overseen stuff while skimming thorugh, so my vote isn't locked down by any means.

TL21xx

Banned
Although Seath is ridiculous, I don't see the worth of voting for him at this time. He is a policy lynch and I get that and would be willing to back it if I had to but we aren't going to learn anything from that voting record and it's not as beneficial as voting out someone completely inactive since Seath is around enough to post at least.

There's a way we could enact a policy lynch later in the game without wasting the day, but I don't think that's the best way of using it.

Sorian

Banned
There's a way we could enact a policy lynch later in the game without wasting the day, but I don't think that's the best way of using it.

A policy lynch will always be a waste of a day. The vote for Darklighter is basically policy lynch status as well because reasoning seems to be that he has been useless so far as opposed to people thinking he is scum.

Like... sure, whatever... you know?

I voted based on the wheel - especially at the time I had no idea of what's standard procedure, usual D1-tradition - and while some changed their vote I'm not so sure what's actually going on as in "Does anyone has a plan that's better?" Now, of course I've read the thread and there are speculations etc. but nothing that is so critical that I felt forced to change my vote immediately. I may have overseen stuff while skimming thorugh, so my vote isn't locked down by any means.

And what are your thoughts about things you've read in the thread? There is plenty to talk about and standing in the background isn't doing us any favors.

TL21xx

Banned
A policy lynch will always be a waste of a day. The vote for Darklighter is basically policy lynch status as well because reasoning seems to be that he has been useless so far as opposed to people thinking he is scum.

Only if there is one vote in the day...

Coppanuva

I don't either, but I think Seath should be given the chance to redeem himself. That claim didn't do much help to him in my eyes, nor a lot of other people's. I don't think he should die right now, nor do I personally think a policy lynch is warranted here. He's going to have a lot of eyes on him now, but I'm against going into ANY day with a clear target out in the open. It doesn't help anyone except scum and lets them plan their moves and discuss it in advance. It also makes any pressure less effective since people won't take it as seriously. By all means keep Seath in your mind and look for any more suspicious behavior, but don't make any concrete plans to kill him on Day 2 right now.

Coppanuva

...Dammit. Was this role claim really worth it?

Also people, please don't just keep throwing roles out there without any real need. I don't think this claim was particularly warranted personally.

Actually I thought of it a bit more, presumably the action would still be in effect if claimed at night so... we should be good.

Sorian

Banned
*sigh* Stop.

This has stayed vague enough that I'm not quite certain what is going on which means scum is probably a little confused on the matter too. I'm doing this:

VOTE: Darklighter

At this point, I do not want to force another role claim out into the open and Darklighter may have to role claim but he is already on the block in such a way that we are removing him as the player as opposed to as the role so a role claim might not be his saving grace anyway.

I don't know what you are playing at TL21xx but we are following up on this tomorrow.

Coppanuva

*sigh* Stop.

This has stayed vague enough that I'm not quite certain what is going on which means scum is probably a little confused on the matter too. I'm doing this:

VOTE: Darklighter

At this point, I do not want to force another role claim out into the open and Darklighter may have to role claim but he is already on the block in such a way that we are removing him as the player as opposed to as the role so a role claim might not be his saving grace anyway.

I don't know what you are playing at TL21xx but we are following up on this tomorrow.

Fair enough. I'm good with waiting on it.

I still don't want to turbo Dark and I'm still waiting for Ty4on to answer my question to him. My vote stays there for now.

Sorian

Banned
Unless I missed a vote (too lazy to go back and click the vote counter thing), I should be the 7th vote on Dark, 5 more till turbo. I'm not too worried about a mass turbo unless the scum team really wants to reveal themselves this early.

Do you really know who I am? All I've said is that I know that someone can pull the trigger tomorrow night, and that it's one and done.

Well how do you know about that? Retro didn't say anything about what particular PRs are in the game so you claiming that there's a 1-shot vig out there (if I'm reading this post correctly) then it's not exactly hard to think that you're referring to yourself.

Sorian

Banned
I'm treating additional inquiries into this PR as scum being scum. Revealing more now only hurts town IMO. We have vague hints to go on, we will see what happens tonight/tomorrow.

Fireblend

Banned
I leave to have lunch and come back to this... smh. I agree with Sorian that we should leave TL21xx's claim alone.

Sorian, I understand that there are other higher risk-reward options, but I also feel like you're disregarding Darklighter's potential scumminess too easily. He's been highly dismissive of posts against him. He is making himself look like a separate entity from town. It's not a huge amount of info, but it's something.

On the other hand, even though I was either the first or second (don't remember) to vote for Darklighter, I'm not 100% sold on him. How about we review our scum reads again? I think my top scum right now would be Seath and Darklighter. The rest in my watchlist are either not worth lynching yet (like Scrafty), or blend into each other in my mind like the inactive bunch. I know that I probably still need some help figuring out the difference between "scummy" and "anti-town", specially in a pool of new players that aren't accustomed to day 1 dynamics yet as Absolut said, but that's where I stand for now.

Sorian

Banned
I leave to have lunch and come back to this... smh. I agree with Sorian that we should leave TL21xx's claim alone.

Sorian, I understand that there are other higher risk-reward options, but I also feel like you're disregarding Darklighter's potential scumminess too easily. He's been highly dismissive of posts against him. He is making himself look like a separate entity from town. It's not a huge amount of info, but it's something.

On the other hand, even though I was either the first or second (don't remember) to vote for Darklighter, I'm not 100% sold on him. How about we review our scum reads again? I think my top scum right now would be Seath and Darklighter. The rest in my watchlist are either not worth lynching yet (like Scrafty), or blend into each other in my mind like the inactive bunch. I know that I probably still need some help figuring out the difference between "scummy" and "anti-town", specially in a pool of new players that aren't accustomed to day 1 dynamics yet as Absolut said, but that's where I stand for now.

Honestly, I read it as his real life habits leaking into the game which tells me nothing about his alignment. It's not a secret that he isn't a heavy poster in anyway and that is fine but the circumstances of his newest posts show a lack of caring or understanding of why that would be bad for town and it's not a risk worth keeping around. I have no read on his as far as alignment because really it is impossible to say, as a player though, he hurts town with minimal chance for providing real help (unlike a Blarg, for example, who usually hurts town but at least has gambits that could yield high rewards).

As far as reads comparison. I still stand by my prior post. The only real changes are TL21xx can have a pass now because I want to see what comes of this and I'm adding Karu into my inactive but not caring list. I've also cooled on Boo Boo'N a bit more now as well so he's not in my real considerations.

If I had to divide it up by anti-town vs. scummy. It would be:

Anti-town: Stanley, Darklighter, Mike_Hawk, Razmos, Seath, Karu
Scummy: Trigger, Ferret, Ty4on, Pop, Scrafty

Now scum could be in either of those two lists but that's just how I have them divided in my head, really anyone from either list is a good choice in my books for various reasons.

As for Seath in particular, while his move was dumb, I highly doubt it is going to lead to a scum flip. So if you are thinking of lynching him thinking that could be a result, I would just not bother at this stage. If you think he is worth it for damage control though then feel free.

Fireblend

Banned
Honestly, I read it as his real life habits leaking into the game which tells me nothing about his alignment. It's not a secret that he isn't a heavy poster in anyway and that is fine but the circumstances of his newest posts show a lack of caring or understanding of why that would be bad for town and it's not a risk worth keeping around. I have no read on his as far as alignment because really it is impossible to say, as a player though, he hurts town with minimal chance for providing real help (unlike a Blarg, for example, who usually hurts town but at least has gambits that could yield high rewards).

As far as reads comparison. I still stand by my prior post. The only real changes are TL21xx can have a pass now because I want to see what comes of this and I'm adding Karu into my inactive but not caring list. I've also cooled on Boo Boo'N a bit more now as well so he's not in my real considerations.

If I had to divide it up by anti-town vs. scummy. It would be:

Anti-town: Stanley, Darklighter, Mike_Hawk, Razmos, Seath, Karu
Scummy: Trigger, Ferret, Ty4on, Pop, Scrafty

Now scum could be in either of those two lists but that's just how I have them divided in my head, really anyone from either list is a good choice in my books for various reasons.

As for Seath in particular, while his move was dumb, I highly doubt it is going to lead to a scum flip. So if you are thinking of lynching him thinking that could be a result, I would just not bother at this stage. If you think he is worth it for damage control though then feel free.

Thanks for the well thought out post. I'm gonna do some reading once I get home and see if I can come up with more candidates. I do feel comfortable about keeping my vote on Darklighter as safe as it is, but I do want to understand where those reads of yours are coming from.

Karu

So... as I've just read part of the last few pages, I will admit, that I might have underestimated the information you've to keep up with, with these many people, and users I don't know. You gotta take notes or have a good memory. I will participate more now.

Here are some thoughts, though.

About Darklighter. Sorian wants him gone on fairly reasonable grounds, but reading through the thread I came to similar conclusion as Fireblend - So... unless Darklighter just doesn't play at all, wouldn't the other scum member wake him the fuck up? What's the end game here? Haven't quite figured that out. Plus: He's a (rather mysterious, admittedly) new player. On the other hand, it seems likely one of "us", new Players, is scum. Probably not more than that, though? No idea, what the inclinations of the game masters in this and previous rounds were in that specific regard.

Sorian took over the conversation and pressures. Pressures a lot. Which is a good thing especially at this point in the game. He is experienced, though and while he makes his points, because Day One is so bla, it can be an act. Powerful player in regards to control the new one. But oh well.

Fireblend put the wheel out there, had a little dispute with TL21xx over the usefulness of RNG - his stance should be obvious. I'm inclined to say that RNG is a big part of day One no matter whether you use the wheel or out-of-your-ass suspicions, but TL21xx seems more reasonable long term - gathering as much facts as possible to paint a picture after the mess was done. Liked his stance on the current Dark-vote, though. Reasonable.

Scrafty, well... I don't like her role-playing. it's annoying and distracting. Someone notes that's rather of advantage in regards to being able to read her, and that person was probably right. Opposed to some others that's not neccessarily a reason to outright kill her, but it doesn't make her any less suspicious.

Those were the main players I have thought on. The following notes are more scattered and random. Could be possible I've missed something in between the posts I referencing and what happened further down the line.
Seath - had no internet, will "be just observing" - Okay.

Razmos v. squidyj - Don't no what that acutally was about, seemed RL-related/last game related, which I tend to dismiss, because I can't participate in such conversation.

gryvan - Seemed easy to manipulate (Not neccessarily with a negative connotion, quite the opposite in this case) - seems like the typical new player. Trending towards town at this point.

TL21xx - As noted above was arguing against RNG. Admits it's a starting point, but not much else. Double-dipps on Scrafty (Both feeling positive and uneasy) and is called out by Sorian. Probably a slip-up.

TO SUM IT UP: Do I think is Darklight a sound choice? Probably not. I said as much above. But --> Is there an alternative? Not really. Darklight is the obvious out-lyer. The "easy"-Day One-choice. Will decide to tomorrow who I will vote for, maybe there's some movement through the night (my acutal night :p). Checks out with the deadline, so no trouble.

Karu

Okay, what. (Reading the posts above)

Now I have that FireblendSorian divide on the Dark-issue completely false going by their latest posts? My reading comprehension might be fucked up. Oh well, how embarrasing can this get? :-(

FAKE edit: I think I at least got your doubts/arguments in between right?

Fireblend

Banned
Okay, what. (Reading the posts above)

Now I have that FireblendSorian divide on the Dark-issue completely false going by their latest posts? My reading comprehension might be fucked up. Oh well, how embarrasing can this get? :-(

FAKE edit: I think I at least got your doubts/arguments in between right?

lol yeah I was about to mention that. Also, I find it odd that people are associating me with wanting to decide things "through RNG" (correct me if I misunderstood you but it seems like that's how you're reading me?), but all I really did was link to the wheel :p it had been well received in previous games :(

Sorian

Banned
Thanks for the well thought out post. I'm gonna do some reading once I get home and see if I can come up with more candidates. I do feel comfortable about keeping my vote on Darklighter as safe as it is, but I do want to understand where those reads of yours are coming from.

I create my reads lists from memory for the most part so that I am posting a mixture of gut and logic which tends to sniff out the answers better for me.

If really need me to get specific from posts, that won't happen, but if you just want a sum up of those 11 people that I just marked, here is stuff:

Stanley - Has been extremely quiet just like Darklighter, the only real difference here is that Stanley pulled the real life card to explain business and so we will have to watch to see if that remains an issue or not.

Darklighter - Speaks for itself at this point, I've posted about him enough and it's not like he's said much more to make me overhaul my thoughts.

Mike_Hawk - Kind of an enigma for me and probably the one I'd be least comfortable with. He is very inactive but when he does post we get a mixture of really helpful or really nothing. His scum tactic was hiding behind inactivity before which is really where my pause comes from because otherwise he is playing fine for a low-moderate poster.

Razmos - Has seemed to shelter himself off since Squidy brought down some fire. I understand wanting to protect yourself and he seems to have retreated now to do that but that's not helpful for town at all. I still don't read scum but if he is going to crawl into the shelter anytime suspicion goes his way then we aren't going to get much from him.

Seath - Kind of explained in my last post. Made a bad role claim thing but otherwise, I think this is misguided for right now. Like Mike_Hawk, I'm not crying over this loss but I think there are better avenues in my list.

Karu - I see Karu just posted so I'll read that after I finish writing this up. Quiet like Stanley and Dark, maybe this is a sign that is changing.

Trigger - I see what Squidy was talking about with Trigger, cared more about personal image than scum hunting. It's a newbie mistake but it is hard to tell if that is a town newbie or scum newbie.

Ferret - Really only around when the pressure was on them, handled it super well but it's plan to see that his activity dropped off around the same time the votes on him started to drop off.

Ty4on - Has activity has been lax and I feel like he only comments when prodded to. I did try to hail him earlier today and I don't think I got a response so he is blurring the line between scummy and anti-town, either way though, he is on here for not contributing when he can.

Pop - Tried defending his RNG vote with new logic later, which is fine, the coincidence can happen but I just haven't felt good about Pop all day. His activity levels seem different from prior games and I'm wondering if it is new scum trying to figure out their role. Also thought his switch to Dark was so easy after his thoughts on Scrafty were out in the open.

Scrafty - I'm mostly just being careful here. I don't like the way she has flip flopped on Dark all day. It sounds more like she is appeasing the tide whenever she switches as opposed to doing it because she has a new read. She even specifically said she switched once because she made a promise to me (and then proceeded to mis-quote or straight lie about what that promise was).

squidyj

Karu you're dismissing what I said about sorian as "last-game" related but the bulk of what I mentioned was his behaviour in this game. I used knowledge I had from another game to see if I could gain some knowledge about this one but the basis of my suspicion and what I was looking for was what he was doing in this game and I'm still not convinced it's entirely on the level.

Sorian

Banned
About Darklighter. Sorian wants him gone on fairly reasonable grounds, but reading through the thread I came to similar conclusion as Fireblend - So... unless Darklighter just doesn't play at all, wouldn't the other scum member wake him the fuck up? What's the end game here? Haven't quite figured that out. Plus: He's a (rather mysterious, admittedly) new player. On the other hand, it seems likely one of "us", new Players, is scum. Probably not more than that, though? No idea, what the inclinations of the game masters in this and previous rounds were in that specific regard.

Well, at least this post is trying. Not really the best but you can tell it came from a place of sincerity. In terms of the question you pose at the end here, roles are chosen at random, so the entire scum team could be new people of fate was cruel. I wouldn't start going down a path of trying to assume who is scum based on prior experience since this should be a 100% random process. From memory, the only time the process wasn't 100% random was in relation to two experimental neutral roles in the cthulhu game. They both had different win conditions from the rest of the players though so I wouldn't worry about a situation like that right now.

Sorian

Banned
Karu you're dismissing what I said about sorian as "last-game" related but the bulk of what I mentioned was his behaviour in this game. I used knowledge I had from another game to see if I could gain some knowledge about this one but the basis of my suspicion and what I was looking for was what he was doing in this game and I'm still not convinced it's entirely on the level.

About me or about Razmos?

What makes you think TL21xx is in league with Scrafty and Biggs?

It's more like Scrafty is in a team with Tl21xx and/or with Darklighter. The reason for the foremr is TL21xx's controversial post that throws some haIfhearted shade at scrafty and later in the same post defends her. For the latter it's more that weird interactions between scrafty and Darklighter, but I hear that's common to her playstyle? I don't know, The only game I closely followed with her she died D1 as scum. I have no direct connection between Darklighter and Tl21xx.

Also somebody (I think it was Sorian) said that we are looking for individual scum. You should read my list like: "If x is scum than y rises in my scumlist" as opposed to "If x is (not) scum than y is for sure also (not)"

It seems we are back at doing readlists. I'm fine with this. I guess I'll put mine up soon-ish as I will be mostly on mobile tomorrow and there is no way in hell I'll do this on there.

Also, just a fair warning: For some reason I keep confusing Razmos and Mazre. Should I ever confuse the two in a post (As I did from time to time with Swamped and Sawneeks in Danganrompa) please correct me.

Coppanuva

If Scrafty doesn't object than I'm fine with them. I don't think that her flavor text is that confusing to read.

Oh, I forgot to reply to this. But I'll agree, if Scrafty specifically asks, I'll only translate the posts I feel are suspicious. I will still do it for myself though, I find it makes me think through them a lot more in-depth.

Sorian

Banned
Alright, things are dying down again. For myself, I am personally waiting for two things. I want squidy to come back with impressions of what he is seeing and I want Dark to come around for his defense.

Past that, I'd very much like it for people who haven't made reads in awhile or ever to give us something before the day phase ends. We are in the last 20ish hours so for some people, this may be the last time you get to speak.

Alright, things are dying down again. For myself, I am personally waiting for two things. I want squidy to come back with impressions of what he is seeing and I want Dark to come around for his defense.

Past that, I'd very much like it for people who haven't made reads in awhile or ever to give us something before the day phase ends. We are in the last 20ish hours so for some people, this may be the last time you get to speak.

It takes time to go over 22 persons' posts...

Coppanuva

It takes time to go over 22 persons' posts...

For what it's worth I don't have too much else to comment on right now. I still want Ty4on's answer, and if he doesn't respond to me I'll likely keep my vote on him because of it. I'm also ok with DarkLighter being killed, no arguments from me there.

If anyone has anything to ask me, I'm all ears and will respond as I can.

Top Bottom