• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games have you beaten this year and what did you think of them?

Fou-Lu

I leave the definition of 'beaten' up to you! If you've beaten the games before that's fine too.

Final Fantasy 10 - My favorite battle system in the series and I don't get why people are so down on the character and story, definitely an amazing game.

Final Fantasy 12 IZJS - Balthier carries this, one of my favorite characters in the entire series. I did enjoy it, but Xenoblade did the battle system better.

Final Fantasy 13 - To my own surprise I expected to hate this game, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. It's no where near my favorite Final Fantasy, but I liked it. Also, Hope was my favorite character an even more unpopular opinion than liking the game.

Towerfall Ascension - Lots of fun to co-op, a nice afternoon game with my roommate.

Dragon Quest 1 - It's as old school as you can get, fun game, doesn't take too long.

Dark Cloud - I have replayed this many times, love the hell out of it every time. Great soundtrack too.

Suikoden - Felt like a bit of a slog at points, but I am glad I played it, especially since it led to me playing the far superior sequel.

Tales of Graces f - I honestly love it and it might be my favorite Tales game I have played. Combat is incredible and the story isn't so bad as to hurt my experience.

Xenoblade Chronicles - Now one of my favorite games of all time, does everything right except maybe sidequests.

Breath of Fire 4 - Still one of my favorite games and likely always will be. The art and the soundtrack alone are beyond incredible. And those animations...! Story is great to and as you can tell has one of my favorite game villains ever.

Dragon Age Inquisition - It's not bad, much better than 2 but the quest design is sorely lacking. Liked the environments.

Witcher 3 - Great game that actually has some good quests, even though lots of them aren't much better than your typical RPG fare. Looking forward to Cyberpunk even more now!

Terranigma - Might be my favorite SNES RPG now, game was amazing from beginning to end and I couldn't stop playing. I wish more people could play it. Please put it on virtual console in NA!

Dragon Quest 2 - Pretty much the same as the first, a bit too long, but still enjoyable.

Chrono Cross - I wouldn't say I liked it more than the original but... It's up there, they might even be tied now. Amazing areas, enjoyable combat and one of the best gaming soundtracks ever.

Suikoden 2 - So much better than the first game. Lucca Bright was one of the best villains I've seen in a game, and the rivalry between the main character and Jowy was the best rivalry in gaming. Loved it.

Legend of Dragoon - Not as good as I remembered, but I would still like a sequel.

Undertale - Truly one of the most emotionally affecting games ever created. I put this on the same tier as Earthbound and Mother 3. A classic that I can see myself going back to in years to come.

Radiant Historia - I am mixed on this game, it was good, but it wasn't as good as I expected. Stocke is really damn cool though and I LOVED the ending.

Okage Shadow King - So charming, so beautiful, so fun! So painful that the ending set up for a sequel that will never happen.

A few observations from my list:

1. I had a damn good year for gaming, played a lot of things that are now some of my favorites.

2. I didn't play very many new games.

I'll just use my write ups from the 52 games thread :p
Didn't do them for the start of the year, and it's been too long to remember my thoughts accurately, and I haven't done write ups for the most recent games yet, so you only get star ranks for those!
But here we are, it's been a damn fun year of gaming:

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Vita
Completed - platinum trophy
★★★★★

2. Gravity Rush
Vita
★★★

3. Flower
PS3
Main story
★★★★

4. Ico
PS3
Main story
★★★★★

5. God of War
PS3
★★★★

6. Shadow of the Colossus
PS3
Main story
★★★★★

7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
PS3
Main story
★★★

8. God of War 2
PS3
Main story + platinum trophy
Been so long since I updated that this is already a blur in my mind lol. I definitely preferred it to the first game (especially when it comes to pacing), but overall I just feel this series is too mindless as a hack and slash. Still enjoyable and I'll keep playing the rest of the games though.
★★★★

9. inFamous: First Light
PS4
This took a while to get through as it just didn't really click with me until the end. It's the arena's that this game shines in, they make use of your toolset and let you go wild. Makes me want a full fledged inFamous that ditches the open world aspect and goes for more focused combat scenarios with tight level design.
★★★★

10. Resogun
PS4
Main story + platinum trophy
I think I included this last year but I only ever beat the game once then. Really got into it this time around and did the harder difficulties and eventually the platinum trophy. Really adored it.
★★★★★

11. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
DS
Completed
Ah this game was fantastic. Having to re-do puzzle rooms each playthrough to get the endings was a bit of a grind but overall I loved it. Great characters, great writing, a bit of humour, a great finale, and overall a great game. Have to start up VLR soon.
★★★★★

12. Rhythm Heaven
DS
Main story + various perfects
Having loved the Wii game so much I figured it was time to play this seeing as I had the DS out for 999. Overall I think it was a bit weaker, but still a fantastic rhythm game and cements the series as one of my favourites, and it made me import the GBA game!
Favourite games would be DJ School, Frog Hop, Lockstep (after the frustration of getting good at it), Karate Man, Love Lab and Fan Club.
★★★★★

13. Dark Souls
PS3
Finally got back into this after a long break and finished it up (as well as the DLC). Then went on to do another one and a half playthroughs to get the platinum trophy. Those extra playthroughs made me really appreciate the level design, as I used as many shortcuts as I could to skip as many bosses as possible. It's amazing how quickly you can get through the game if you know what you're doing (and have the Master Key).
Definitely one of the highlights of the past generation.
★★★★★

14. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Wii U
Completed 100%
I adored this game, the levels got nice and complex towards the end which was nice, but oh my god it's so cute, it's taken the clean HD Mario aesthetic to absolute perfection and made one of the most gorgeous looking games of all time, and the Toad's animations are perfect. Also gave us a neat new Mario villain (hurray for no Bowser!).
★★★★★

15. Bloodborne
PS4
Main story + optional areas
I really enjoyed this game. The fast paced combat made the game feel fresh compared to Souls, though I do feel it made the game a bit easy and many of the boss fights feel somewhat the same. The atmosphere was absolutely nailed and felt really dark and oppressive, but as someone that can't handle horror well maybe that was a negative for me haha.
★★★★★

16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
PS1
Completed 100%
My first Castlevania game thanks to the Bloodstained kickstarter! I feel it was a really well put together Metroidvania, and the interconnected castle had a really good design and flow to it. That said, the combat was fairly average imo, and it was way too difficult to actually dodge many attacks and I felt I had to pretty much tank a lot of them if I was ever going to get any damage in, though it's fairly old so maybe the GBA/DS games improved on that.
★★★★

17. Splatoon
Wii U
Main story + level 20 in online
Oh my god I love this game. Everything about the controls just feels so satisfying to play. The shooting, the aiming, swimming in your ink and up walls, super jumps, using your super. I could go on and on about this game.
The single player campaign was also nothing to scoff at, and was no way a tacked on campaign to a multiplayer game. The final boss was fantastic in its own right.
While I've 'beaten' the game for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to be playing this one for months I think. My GOTY so far.
★★★★★

18. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
DS
Main story and significant side quests
My first Dragon Quest game! I really enjoyed it. I appreciated the old school grindy, world map, low key story and everything. Plus all the quirky monsters. Have 5, 6, 8 and 9 lined up to continue on with the series in the near future.
★★★★

19. Persona 4 Arena
PS3
Various game modes - story mode completed 100%
This was my first non-Smash fighting game. Took a little bit to get the hang of things but I ended up really liking it and am going to try out more in the genre. Story was a drag though, had some high highs with Labrys' arc, but getting through everyone else was a real slog. That said the core fighting mechanics are fun, and the Persona system is really satisfying with the weighty attacks. Chie #1
★★★★

20. NieR
PS3
Oh my god. This game was phenomenal. The story and OST were top of the line, the world was great and gave me the same vibes I got from Ico/SotC, and I mean, yeah the combat and quests weren't anything to write home about, but they were serviceable and didn't find them to drag. Ended up doing every sidequest in my first playthrough, which then led to me getting the platinum (with was a fucking grind but I persevered).
Definitely a highlight of the PS3 era.
★★★★★

21. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus
PS3
Mmm, as a big Ratchet fan I was a bit let down by this. The game overall just feels unpolished, the switch to 30 fps was bad enough, but there's constant frame drops so it generally runs in the low 20s, there wasn't really great or memorable weapons, or villains, or locations, or much of anything. Though I did enjoy the new jetpack and flying around the swamp area.
★★★

22. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
DS
Main story and significant side quests
I really enjoyed this, Dragon Quest is such a great series when you want some classic JRPG gameplay, and this was a step up from IV which I played earlier in the year. The story was neat, with the three time periods showing the story of your life being a neat little gimmick. Monster recruitment was cool too, even if it didn't really add all too much and I generally preferred to use other party members when given the choice.
★★★★★

23. Persona 4 Golden
Vita
One of my all time favourites. Played the PS2 game last year, but little did I know at the time that I'd missed the true ending and final dungeon, so I went for a replay sooner than expected with Golden! I really loved the new features in this (choosing which abilities get passed down with fusions especially), and the game just overall works really well on a handheld. It's really a prime example of how to improve an already fantastic game.
★★★★★

24. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
PS4
Main story and ~60% overall completion
Oh boy.
I love this series, so I went into this with high hopes. Big mistake. The poor story pacing (and lack of a conclusion) is probably the worst thing, but all the other little annoyances just add up way to much; repetitive missions, poor micro managing with mother base, annoying and lengthy helicopter intros for each mission, the really boring and bland open world. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. The core stealth gameplay was really polished and great.
★★★

25. Sound Shapes
Vita
This game was weird. It feels like it's meant to be a platformer, but a lot of the levels feel like you're literally just moving across towards the goal with no skill involved at all, and the death mode that actually tests you is a shitty luck based mess (for those that don't know, they're just collect 20 things in 60 seconds or whatever, where the collectables spawn one at a time in random locations, so you can chain 10 right next to each other, or just have to run from one side of the map to the other repeatedly).
★★★

26. Virtue's Last Reward
Vita
Incredible game. The story was engaging, and some of the twists really surprised me in the best way possible. The puzzle rooms were also really well done for the vast majority of the game (there was a couple I had to google where my reaction to the solution was pretty much 'that's stupid') and are oh-so-satisfying to complete. There was also some really nice tracks in the OST. Only real gripe is how some scenes are repetitive in alternate timelines because the same stuff happens but just slightly different which makes them unskippable.
I need Zero Time Dilemma now.
★★★★★

27. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
Vita
★★★

28 & 29. Ys I & II Chronicles
PSP
Main story
★★★★

30. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Wii
Main story
★★★

31. Undertale
Mac
Neutral and true endings
★★★★★

32. Portal
Mac
Main story
★★★★

33. Thomas Was Alone
Vita
Completed - 100% trophies
★★★

34. Rocket League
PS4
Various game modes
★★★★

Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles X which will likely take up the remainder of the year.

SMattera

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Decently fun, but hated having to look back and forth between screens. This could and should be ported to mobile.
Rayman Legends
Not as good as Rayman Origins, but amazing nonetheless. One of the best 2D platformers I've ever played. Really want a third game.
Guacamelee and Ori and the Blind Forest
Lumping these two together, because they're similar games and my criticism applies equally to both. Good, but overrated. Too many reused assets. Between the two, I think I liked Ori more.
Duck Tales Remastered and Kirby's Epic Yarn
Both of these games suck. I have no idea why I stuck with them to the end. Mostly because they were short and easy and I didn't pay too much attention to them when I was playing.
South Park The Stick of Truth
Amazing fan service and perfect graphics. The battle system is terrible though.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Loved it.
Splatoon
The single player campaign is way too short, but it's great and the final boss fight is amazing.
Destiny
Love this game. Don't understand the hate.
Super Mario 3D Land and Yoshi's Woolly World
Good, but forgettable.
LittleBigPlanet 3
It's good when it works. I enjoyed the difficulty bump compared to the previous two games. But it's riddled with bugs.
Shadow of Mordor
My first WB open world game. The atmosphere was great, but I rarely enjoyed the actual gameplay. Don't plan to play another anytime soon.

Also played a ton of Mario Maker, Hearthstone and Battlefront -- games you can't really "beat". All of which are fantastic.

bobawesome

Not all the games I've beaten this year, but the only ones that come to mind at the moment:

Batman: Arkham Knight - I really didn't pay much attention to the game until a week from launch. A very good game and my second favorite of the Rocksteady trilogy behind Asylum. I loved how the Batmobile controlled and I didn't really feel that there was too much of it. I do wish there were traditional boss battles, though.

Bloodborne - It's a good game but I felt let down by the lack of content compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: If you told me I'd love a Dragon Ball Z game a year ago I would have called you a dirty liar. The story absolutely sucks but the gameplay feels amazing and I loved making my own character and powering them up. Post-launch support was also pretty good with the level cap increases. I didn't really care for the multiplayer, though. It seems too easy to scum your way through it. Or at least that was the case around launch.

Fallout 4: My biggest disappointment of the year. The game felt so lifeless and unmemorable to me. It's also super glitchy, as expected of a Bethesda product.

IA/VT Colorful: Only the second game I've ever imported. The game has so much polish and charm. Navigating the menus is also a cinch since most of them are in English. It's definitely not the hardest rhythm game around but I found it just challenging enough. Easily my favorite rhythm game on the Vita. Sorry, Miku.

Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain - I was just as disappointed as everyone else regarding the story in the game but the gameplay itself is incredible. I love the variety of ways you can solve missions. I've put around 150 hours into the game and I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: THE reason I upgraded to a New 3DS XL. There were several instances where I was blown away by the sheer scale of the game. Despite being a big downgrade in the visuals department compared to the original Wii version, I was honestly never bothered by the way the game looked. If there's anything negative I can say about the game it's the length. I rarely did any sidequests, focusing mostly on the main story. Despite this, it still took around 80 hours to beat the game on my first playthrough. I felt it would have been a more concise experience if it were twenty or thirty hours shorter. Combat is also very repetitive.

I'd share my writeups from the 52 game thread, but they're too long to fit in a single post, so I'll just list them in order with a score. I'll finish more by the end of the year, so this is still a work in progress.

1. Liberation Maiden - 6/10

2. Hatoful Boyfriend - 6/10

3. Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale - 7/10

4. Shadowrun Returns- 6/10

5. Bastion - 7/10

6: Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos - 4/10

7. Framed - 6/10

8: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 9/10

9. Hitman GO - 7/10

10. inFAMOUS: First Light - 7/10

11. Don't Starve - 8/10

12. Counterspy - 4/10

13. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 7/10

14. Hyrule Warriors - 9/10

15. Freedom Wars - 7/10

16. Genroku Legends: Fishy Tales of the Nekomata - 10/10

17. Killzone: Mercenary - 6/10

18. Muramasa Rebirth - 9/10

19. Monument Valley - 6/10

20. Sorcery! - 10/10

21. inFAMOUS: Second Son - 7/10

22. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 7/10

23. Home - 5/10

24. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - 8/10

25. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 9/10

26. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 9/10

27. Entwined - 4/10

28. Injustice: Gods Among Us - 6/10

29. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 8/10

30. Journey - 10/10

31. Transistor - 9/10

32. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 7/10

33. Rocket League - 10/10

34. Until Dawn - 9/10

35. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - 7/10

36. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - 8/10

37. The Beginner's Guide - No score

38. This War of Mine - 7/10

39. Fallout Shelter - 6/10

40. Fallout 4 - 7/10

41. The Order: 1886 - 6/10

42. Tales From The Borderlands - 9/10

43. Hexcells - 10/10

Wow how can you guys play so many games ? Where do you find the time ?
I don't post on GAF that much. Saves me lots of time.

That's a lie, I do post a lot. I just have no social life right now :(

kagamin

Freedom Wars - Quite an enjoyable experience, online wasn't that stable for me but I rather liked the local play.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd - Amazing game, I was a fan of Vocaloid before, but I never considered getting into the games because I didn't have a Vita (my first Vita game).

Gravity Rush - Beautiful game, and although short, it was fun the whole way through.

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX- Not as challenging as Diva, but definitely just as fun (and it helps that I like the songs a lot more too).

Ape Escape 3 - A great entry to a neglected series, I wish Sony would make a new one, but it still stands as a great experience even today.

Resident Evil 5 - Really fun action game in co-op and the action is non-stop fun, I only wish I was as good at the mercenaries mode in this as I was at Mercenaries 3D.

Sayonara UmiharaKawase - Very difficult and challenging game, I got the true ending... but I've only scratched the surface in terms of all the stages I can go to.

200% Mixed Juice! - Short and sweet game, not as long lasting of an experience as its predecessor, but a great time nonetheless.

JayEH

MGSV: Might be my favorite game of all time. Not sure if it is yet but it's high up there. Story is ok (really like the ending) but the gameplay is just outstanding.

REmake: Classic, really liked it. Looking forward to 0 HD.

Batman: Stale.

Bloodborne: Amazing gameplay, great spin on the souls formula. Just wish there was more gear, though the DLC does remedy this a bit.

Witcher 3: Probably my favorite RPG of all time. Mediocre combat but incredible world and writing. Almost every side quest has the same writing quality as a main quest.

Danganronpa: Cool story but I learned visual novels are just not for me.

The Order: Beautiful game everything else was shit. Easy platinum at least.

Persona 3: Incredible journey. Instantly became one of my favorite games of all time.

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe I'll add some more later.

Halo 5: A rather forgetful campaign made all the more depressing when one considers the rather excellent marketing campaign surrounding the game (I still believe that Hunt The Truth is the single best marketing campaign for any video game ever). Fortunately the multiplayer package saves it by offering what is in my opinion, the best tuned multiplayer sandbox you can currently find in any console shooter.

MGS5: I feel as if I have nothing really to add to the discussion of this game, while certain moments certainly made the experience worth it, between the somewhat shockingly amateurish delivery of the story and handling of several key characters, I was left sorely disappointing in what will most likely be the last game in the series. The gameplay was absolutely fantastic on all fronts, but after about 50 hours with the game I don't think I'll ever come back, much less replay it.

Bloodborne: What an absolutely fantastic game. As someone who choose to forgo shields almost entirely in both Dark Souls 1 and 2, having the very core of the game cater to my particular gameplay style was a borderline dream come true. Pair that with one of the best Gothic locals in all of gaming, complete with shattered dreamscapes and old ones, there's little more that I could ask for in a setting. Build diversity left something to be desired when compared to previous souls outings, but the game wholly succeeded in being a leaner, meaner iteration of the formula.

SOMA: This is perhaps the most interesting game, at least from a narrative standpoint I played all year. To put things in context, I am a massive fucking baby and generally attempt to avoid horror games like the plague, but hearing about SOMA's narrative chops about being a proper piece of hardcore sci-fi it piqued my interest enough to pick it up on PSN. While the narrative did ultimately live up to my expectations (the less said about the story for those who have yet to play it, the better) the game itself proved to be ultimately more frustrating than terrifying. Sure there were times where I had to pause the game and put the controller down, and I absolutely refused to play the game at night, i still found the general lack of depth and the sheer frequency of encounters to ultimately be to the games detriment, requiring me to hide from yet another bogyman instead of grappling with the more acute psychological horror that I originally hoped for.

Forza 6: Not much to say really, highly enjoyable timesink for any gearhead out there, and was basically just what 5 should have been.

I've been meaning to do little mini-reviews for all the games I've beaten this year at the end of the year. Until then I'll just throw this up here.

Kind of in order of quality, weakest to strongest within each tier:

Mediocre games:
Castlevania 2
Haunted Castle
Minecraft
Castlevania: Dracula X

Good games:
StarTropics
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
Final Fight 3
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light
New Super Luigi U
Journey to Silius
Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
Vice: Project Doom
Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden
Super Castlevania IV
Shinobi III
Mute Crimson+
The Ninja Warriors Again

Excellent games:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
J.J. Squawkers
The Revenge of Shinobi
Super Mario 3D World
Hagane
Castlevania III
Dark Souls II
Assault Suits Valken
Ninja Five-O
Rocket Knight Adventures
The Adventure of Little Ralph
Ranger X
Wild Guns
Pocky and Rocky
Street Fighter 2010
Midnight Wanderers
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Tetris Attack
Gigantic Army
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Castlevania (X68000)
Espgaluda

Godlike games:
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101
Gimmick

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about the whole year, but I beat Valkyria Chronicles the other week. One of the best games I've played in years.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Played it for the first time a couple of months ago. One of the best games I've ever played. Top-3 all time, for me. Story, characters, art, music, gameplay (combat, exploration, puzzle-solving) are all there and executed to perfection. Zelda Wii U is my most anticipated title of 2016, alongside Persona 5.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
My least favorite Metal Gear game just so happens to be my 2015 Game of the Year. Solid game. Great one, in fact. Open world is beautifully crafted and seamlessly connected. Side Ops don't offer variety found in Ground Zeroes, but still enough to entertain during Snake's (optional) downtime. Lack of a conclusion is disappointing. Excited to see what Kojima has in store for us next.

Fallout 4
Exactly what I expected from Fallout. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable Western RPGs to date. I read something about this game hiring on staff from Destiny for a richer combat system. Well, after playing, that doesn't surprise me in the least. The combat is some of the best one can hope to expect from a Bethesda game. And unlike MGSV, the story provided me with a bit of a twist that caught me off-guard.

Sakura

Off the top of my head in no particular order:
Akiba's Trip 2: Mediocre game, but I wasn't really expecting much in the first place, so I guess I wasn't disappointed.
Atelier Sophie: Pretty good game overall. Just platinumed it yesterday. My only complaints are no multiple endings (no new game plus either I believe) and no extra outfits for Sophie even though they give you a 'dressing room' for you to choose between the whole two in the game.
Fallout 4: Overall fun. Not as bad as Skyrim or Oblivion. But definitely lacking in RPG mechanics.
Sengoku Musou 4 Empires: OK game I suppose, very shallow.
Yahari game demo etc: A little disappointing. No real romance in the game. And it's mostly just stuff repeated from the show.
MGSV: OK gameplay, bad story and pacing.
Super Robot Wars Z3 Tengokuhen: Conclusion to the Z series. I thought it was pretty good, but Z2 was the best.
Macross 30 Ginga wo Tsunagu Utagoe: Not a bad game. Pretty fun cruising around in a Valkyrie. A little lacking in gameplay variation and crossover material though.
Natsuiro Highschool: Not a particularly great game. The 'open world' is pretty pointless and serves no purpose than to make you travel around. The gameplay is kind of shit. The girls were cute, and I like the over all concept.
Bloodborne: It's no Dark Souls II, but it was still pretty fun. Played most of it co-op.
Atelier Totori Plus: First Atelier game I finished. It was pretty fun, but I didn't enjoy the time limit and year stuff.
MGSV GZ: Very short and limited on content. Only reason I got it was because it was free on PS+.
The Witcher 3: Buggy, poor performance. Pacing was kind of lame, and I didn't enjoy the ending so much. Shit gameplay. Writing was good, as were the roleplaying elements. Quest storylines were fun. Will do a replay through when the last expansion comes out.
ToLoveRu Darkness True Princess: Bad game
Splatoon: Has a lot of style. Really fun to play. Half assed analogue controls so you are kind of forced to use the gamepad.
Xenoblade X: Really good game overall. Mute protagonist was a terrible choice. If there is no Xenoblade X2 then I will say the game had a very bad ending.
Fire Emblem If: Poor story and writing (though this is not unique to If), gameplay improved over Awakening, but not enough IMO.

True Fire

I haven't beaten any games this year. My problem is that I start a new open world game just before I finish the previous open world game I was playing. If only I had 72 hours in a day to finish them all. Being a completionist sucks.

...I may be forgetting stuff

Hotline Miami 2 - Incredible, naysayers be damned. God-tier soundtrack obviously

Bloodborne - One of the greatest games I've ever played. Game of the forever.

Onechanbara Z2 Chaos - Really dumb game. Not necessarily a bad thing though?

Transformers: Devastation - Hype, the game. Killer soundtrack.

The Beginner's Guide - Really interesting, emotional

Need For Speed - Hoonage for days, son. Deliciously ignorant soundtrack

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Close to finishing/gave up:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Profoundly disappointing after TNO. Gave up at final boss.

Uncharted 2 - Fun game, fun story. I'm at like 94% at the moment. I'll finish eventually and play 3

hao chi

Bloodborne - amazing game, and would likely be my GOTY if I weren't leaning towards giving Rocket League that title.

Resident Evil HD - I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this game as much as I did. It's not scary, but it's just so enjoyable to play.

P.T. - as terrifying as advertised. Fuck Konami.

SOMA - Loved the story and themes of the game. It had some pretty scary moments as well, but about halfway through the game I became mostly desensitized to its scares. Still overall a very enjoyable game.

Transistor - I enjoyed the music and art style, but the gameplay really didn't do much for me. The ending was good, at least.

Grand Theft Auto V - the single player didn't suck me in like GTA IV's did, but overall it was still pretty enjoyable.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - overall I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I just didn't like how Detroit could be kind of hard to navigate (for me, anyway).

Until Dawn - overall a very enjoyable ride. I just wish that (major spoilers)
they kept the Wendigos out of the game. I preferred it when it was more like a slasher film story.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - I've beaten this game before, but I decided to do a ghost playthrough where I avoided using the EMP on the pistol thing, knocking out guards, and shooting out lights. It was a fucking blast.

Fatal Frame IV - another very entertaining Fatal Frame game. Though I honestly prefer the one playable character approach of the first two games, but I still had quite a bit of fun with this one. The final boss was kind of disappointing though; didn't even have time to bust out my Zero film for it.

Persona Q - enjoyed the dungeon crawling more than I thought I would, even if I thought the game dragged on a bit and had one more dungeon than I would have liked. The OST is fantastic, and I really enjoyed the story. Atlus really assassinated some characters though, which is a shame.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked - loved it, even if maybe ~10 hours before it ended I was ready for it to be over.

Resident Evil 3 - this was my first playthrough, and it was quite entertaining. The game is a bit short and easy, but it was still pretty fun. Nemesis could be more intimidating though.

Resident Evil 6 - Feels rather overproduced, and there's some segments where the cutscenes are constantly interrupting the action (one boss fight in particular was horrible about this). It has some fairly enjoyable moments, but overall I'm not a fan. Mercs is alright, at least.

The Last of Us: Left Behind - It was alright, but I honestly don't get the hype behind this DLC.

There might be a couple more, but that's all I remember off the top of my head.

Gastone

Bloodborne - Nothing to say really. It's Bloodborne! Amazing.

Call of Duty - Black Ops 3 - Somewhat entertaining campaign. Strength is in MP

MGS V - GOTY imo

Hotline Miami 2 - Slightly disappointed, but overall good. Like the first better

Bayonetta 2 - Mediocre, horrible story and annoying characters. First one was WAY better

Valiant Hearts - Amazing. Great story, interesting gameplay and likable characters

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze I basically bought the Wii U for this. Amazing platformer

Super Mario 3D World - Probably my favorite Mario game aside from 64. The difficulty was a bit lacking, but I had a ton of fun.

The Last of Us - I finally took the plunge. The praise this game gets is well-deserved.

Mortal Kombat X - A pretty big disappointment for me. The story mode felt like such a huge step down from MK9.

Bloodborne - My 2nd favorite "soulsborne" game. The fusion of gothic and lovecraftian horror feels tailor-made for me.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin -
An overall improvement to the ugly stepchild of the series. However, the new final boss is probably my least favorite bossfight in the entire "soulsborne" genre.

Ori and the Blind Forest - Beautiful and damn fun to play. "Bash" is probably my favorite movement ability in any platformer.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Best sidequests of any RPG I've played. The depth of Witcher 3's quests leave a lot to desired in other RPGs.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain -
Great gameplay with a pretty disappointing story. The game is blatantly unfinished and everything involving the online features is gross.

Soma - I think I'm finally feeling the fatigue on the Amnesia-type horror game. I loved the Dark Descent and the Penumbra games. I even soldiered my way through a Machine for Pigs. But, in Soma every encounter with a monster felt so tedious that, around halfway through, I had to put the game down for a while. I eventually did come back and finish it and, while I do think the gameplay is a little stale, Soma was still a memorable and thought-provoking experience.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - Easily the best Resident Evil since 4. It's like RE6, but not a pile of rancid garbage.

Fallout 4 - A solid 8/10 game. For me, it's impact was a little dulled because I played it around the same time as the Bloodborne DLC and Undertale.

Undertale - My GOTY, no contest. Getting two of the endings in a single sitting was probably the best video gaming experience I've ever had.

Interesting thread idea.

Picross 3D 2 (3ds)
4/5
Got past the staff credits, still have tons to go. It was interesting/refreshing after 6 games of picross e, but the final products/ statues all look so ugly :(

---
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (PSV)
4.5/5
It's quite fun and refreshing after so many years of Pokemon. It's the first Digimon game I sunk in and completed, so it brings back so many childhood/anime memories. The battles are on an easier side, especially after the harder subquests, but fun overall.

---
Rhythm Heaven The Best (3ds)
3.5/5
Eh. I thought I would like it more, but the story and presentation are meh. The shorter songs at the start killed the pacing. I got past two staff rolls, and have little motivation to continue.

----
Sen no Kiseki 1/2 (PSV)
4.5/5
I am finally up to date on the kiseki series, after 2 years! I lulled on the first game (so boring and tropey), but after that ending, I couldn't stop! When is 3 coming out??

----
Tales of Zestiria (PS3)
3.5/5
I am being lenient. This game is all over the place in difficulty, story sucks, battle is clunky and borderline a chore. What's with the stupid skill system and crafting system? This is probably one of my least favorite Tales game (and I'm a long time fan). Ufotable animation is top-notch, Go Shiina and Sakuraba's ost is perfect. Can't wait till Berseria to come out and fix all the bad things.

----
Dai Gyakuten Saiban (3ds)
4/5
This whole game is basically exposition for a sequel. I don't like it that much, and the investigation wayyyy too scripted with the "Hold it, Mr. Holmes" part. I wish they could spice up the game flow. Plus the game ended just when things are finally moving. The second case was especially tutorial-like with no court at all. What?

That's all I can think of atm. I'll update when I remember anything/ double checked some of the dates.

majik13

I haven't beaten any games this year. My problem is that I start a new open world game just before I finish the previous open world game I was playing. If only I had 72 hours in a day to finish them all. Being a completionist sucks.

im the same. I only stick to games I really enjoy. And ussually only 1 game at a time for months. As I dont have a lot of time to play as I use to. And if I really enjoy it, I for whatever reason, ussually never finish it. Either some other game is released or maybe I just subconsciously dont want them to ever end.
This year, I prob did about

Bloodborne: Loved it, played mostly coop, several dungeons, put it down right before the end. Always intended to play again, but I think Rocket League released.

Witcher 3 : 20-30 hours, still early game. Mediocre combat is a big hurdle. Espcially after BB. World was pretty great though. Stopped when MGSV released.

MGSV : 50-60 hrs?, Mission 20ish?
Great gameplay, but even how far in I am they could have easily cut out like 40% of the filler missions/sideops imo
Pacing is too slow. Would prob still be playing if not for FO4.

FO4: Still going strong on this one, really like it. Hopefully I can last till the end. Maybe 40 hrs? Lv 16? I did beat FO3 and several DLC, something like 200+ hrs.

I dont know where you even check playtimes on PS4 tjough.

Nowadays, smaller SP games just dont hold my interest for very long. Probabaly why I never beat anything this year.

I think the last game I "beat" was Pikmin 3 a year or 2 ago. Perfect length/content/difficulty for the game.

Crayolan

DKC1: Fun and very challenging platformer. The save system was horrendous though, repeating levels gets annoying after a while. Bosses are a complete afterthought as well.

DKC2: Amazing platformer with a better duo, better bosses, better level design, better setting, better music, and more challenge; it pretty much improved from DKC on every front. Easily one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time.

DKC3: It was good but didn't blow me away like DKC2. Some of the level design gimmicks were really annoying, vertical levels were really hit or miss, I didn't like the new animal buddies, and Kiddy Kong is a dumb throwaway character. Gameplay-wise I guess he's better than DK though, who was really slow compared to Diddy and Dixie. I think I'd rank it the worst of the trilogy but that doesn't mean it's bad, just not quite as good. I still enjoyed it and finished everything up to the secondary final boss in the Lost World.

Guacamelee: I heard a lot of good about this game and so when I heard about the Nindie Humble Bundle I thought I'd give it a chance since it was only a dollar. Turned out to be a fantastic Metroidvania with a fairly unique theme/setting.

Super Metroid: After playing Fusion via the Ambassador program and thinking it was just okay, and playing the original Metroid and thinking it was far too cryptic to complete, I was worried 2D Metroid was just not for me. Thankfully, Super Metroid changed that for me. Metroid Prime is my favorite Metroid by far, and Super Metroid is basically Prime but in 2D. The exploration, atmosphere, and soundtrack were all fantastic, but I think the real high point for me was the bosses. When I first heard the fucking terrifying boss theme and saw Kraid rise out of the ground and tower over Samus, I knew it was going to be a great game. And it only continued to deliver from there.

Splatoon: I thought the single player campaign was really unique and enjoyed it just as much as the multiplayer. The final boss in particular is easily one of the best of all time, IMO.

Some of these might actually be late 2014 and I just forgot, but whatever.

• Transistor 7/10
  • Castle of Illusion (Remake) 6/10
  • Valiant Hearts 9/10
  • Pneuma: Breath of Life 6/10
  • Sunset Overdrive 8/10
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition 8/10
  • Halo 1 (MCC) 7/10
  • Halo 5: Guardians 8/10
  • Tomb Raider 8/10
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider 9/10
  • Ys I Chronicles+ 8/10
  • Ys II Chronicles+ 7/10
  • Ys III: The Oath in Felghana 8/10
  • Final Fantasy VII (2nd playthrough) 9/10
  • Final Fantasy VIII 8/10
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter 7/10
  • Batman: Arkham Origins 8/10
  • Injustice: Ultimate Edition 6/10
  • The Banner Saga 6/10
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition 5/10
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist 7/10

4 = Bad
5 = Not Bad nor Good
6 = Alright
7 = Good
8 = Very Good
9 = Excellent
10 = Perfect

Currently playing: Tales of Zestiria, I give it so far: 7/10

I play a lot of games, but don't finish many.

Bloodborne- loved every second of it. My GOTY and an all time fave.

Contradiction- loved it. Amazing overlooked gem on iPad.

Until Dawn- pretty cool. Enjoyed playing it with my girlfriend.

Batman Arkham Knight- liked it a fair bit. Didn't love the tank stuff.

Dad

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
I finally get the love for this game. My second favorite Zelda now.
5/5

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

A mediocre Layton game and a mediocre Ace Attorney game. The music is dope tho
3/5

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

The single player is bad, but the multiplayer can be fun. It's a decent enough spinoff
3/5

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
The best one in the series. <3 Gadot
5/5

Destiny

Late to the party and even with very tempered expectations, I was still incredibly underwhelmed.
2/5

Diablo 3
I didn't dabble with the multiplayer stuff, and I honestly don't remember much about it since it all starts to run together in my head. Didn't feel much about it one way or the other.
3/5

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Tried and failed to get into both The Witcher and The Witcher 2. This is the one that finally pulled me in and I really enjoyed it. Story has some legitimately great stuff in the first act, but I felt it sort of goes downhill near the end.
4/5

Fallout 4
They made the gameplay decent in exchange for gutting the dialogue and story. I played 50 hours of it and all I can get worked up to say is "meh"
3/5

Undertale
Went in expecting some charming but overhyped indie darling. Was legitimately wowed and I may have to put it with my all time greats. Seriously, anyone that has even the slightest interest needs to check it out
5/5

Life is Strange

It took like 3 episodes for me to really get into the game, but it had some really great stuff in those last few episodes. The time mechanic is a really clever idea for an adventure game, but I'm not sure they ever really used it to its full potential
4/5

Tales from the Borderlands

Went in disliking Borderlands style humor but trusting in Telltale's recent track record. Happily surprised by actually funny writing. One of Telltale's best alongside The Wolf Among Us
4/5

Game of Thrones
Went in loving the ASOIAF world and trusting in Telltale's recent track record. No.
2/5

Steins;Gate
Picked it up on a whim during a sale and enjoyed it strangely enough despite not really going for anime stuff. Some of the scene to scene stuff still gets really bogged down with over the top animu shit though
4/5

Super Mario World
I've technically beaten it like 4 or 5 times, but this year was the first time I did it without abusing Star Road and also completing the Special World. Good game but I'm still a DKC kinda guy
4/5

Pikmin 3
Got it free last year from Club Nintendo and put off playing it until this Spring. My first Pikmin game and I couldn't stop playing. GIVE ME PIKMIN 4 NINTENDO
5/5

Never Alone
I really, REALLY wanted to love it. There was so much heart put into the game, and Valiant Heart last year showed how great an edutainment game could be. But the actual game is just unpolished and unfun. I'm sorry, Never Alone
2/5

bman94

Burnout Paradise - 5/5: Amazing racer that's always moving at a high momentum and is always making you go "holy shit".
Forza Horizon - 5/5: Beautiful landscape, really great balance in the racing; giving you chances to drive casually and take in the scenery, giving you chances to feel like you are in a real car, and it gives you chances to really floor it and speed in the Ferrari you always wanted.
BioShock 2 - 5/5: Great atmosphere, chilling narrative and awesome characters. I really like this one more then the first, felt like the story was more engaging and the characters more likeable.
L.A. Noire - 5/5: Loved this game. It was such a different take on the "GTA Formula" and the dialogue and characters were spot on. I did not like the event during the middle-end that basically made everyone hate the main character, it felt really forced and predictable.
Batman Arkham City - 5/5: Fantastic story and really engaging gameplay. It was a blast to soar over Gotham as Batman and it was packed full of content.
Hyrule Warriors - 4/5: Fun gameplay but gets repetitive quickly. Can only play this in short bursts and takes forever to level up characters.
Bayonetta - 5/5: Came into this series blind and loved every moment of if. As soon as I beat it I played it again immediately on a harder difficulty. Really fell in love with the character and series.
Bayonetta 2 - 5/5: Took all that I loved from the first game and amplified it by 10. Everything is on a much bigger scale and the game's presentation never let's you sit for a minute.

Edit: Everything else I didn't beat either I didn't get a chance to finish them or I lost interest in them.

Berto

Cities: Skylines - Contender for this year game of the year. Not too overly complex, but deep and open enough to be one of the best city builders ever.
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - My favourite game of all time
Batman Arkham Knight - Cool ending to the series, but terrible performance on PC.
SOMA - Fantastic story.
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots - Meh, fun and crazy story, but didn't like the game play tbh.
Remember Me - Great art design, but the rest is mediocre.
Fallout - Great nostalgia bomb. Loved returning to the original wasteland, so refreshing after the recent Fallout games.
Europa Universalis: Rome - It's a poor spinoff. Some nice ideas but overall is one of the weakest Paradox games.
The Walking Dead Season 2 - Liked it more than I was expecting, however the first one is clearly better.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Incredible atmosphere and visuals. The story is also pretty good.
Valiant Hearts - An emotional rollercoaster and a deeply respectfull homage to the heroes of WWI.
Alien Isolation - Scary and atmospheric, however a bit too long for its good.

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow, y'all play a lot of games. Makes me really realize how much I've fallen out of love with gaming.

I beat Destiny: The Taken King, and leveling to max level was alright because it was fresh and quick, but the end game is trash and overall I don't think it was worth my time at all. Boring. Zzz.

That's the only game I've beaten this year I think.

Permanently A

Holy crap. I finished like maybe 5 games. Tops.

Although I do spend a lot of times on games that can't be beaten like Hearthstone.

In order I completed them (I won't mention fighting games):

. Yakuza 2 (PS2). Awesome game. I loved the first one, this trumps it on every level.

. Sleeping Dogs (PS3). The best open world game I ever played. Bought it on sale for 5 euros and started with 0 expectations, I liked it much more than any of Rockstar's well known open worlds (still haven't played GTAV though).

. Yakuza 3 (PS3). The worst in the series by far. Still a good game, but I didn't like the Okinawa setting that much, and the story dragged for too long. They also overused the "I won't finish the bad guy for good so he can deliver one final blow" trope WAY too much.

. Remember Me (PS3). One of the best sci-fi settings I ever saw in a game. Neo Paris is just breathtaking, and the whole game gives a "late 80s - mid 90s sci-fi film" vibe that is really awesome. Gameplay is much better than expected, and the memory remix sections are genuinely innovative.

. Yakuza 4 (PS3). It improves on its predecessor in ANY possible area. Better graphics, better gameplay (4 playstiles make for much varied missions), better story, better everything. The best starting point for a newcomer who doesn't want to get back to PS2 games.

. Until Dawn (PS4). The game which sold me a PS4. Awesome experience, one of the few games I ever platinumed. Perfect for late night playthrough with friends or gf.

. Life is Strange (PS3). Probably my GOTY. Enough said.

. The Evil Within (PS4). Jumped in with very low expectations, I think it's one of the best horror games in ages. It's everything that RE5 should have been and it's not. The story is very convoluted, but let's be honest... story has never been a selling point for RE either. The gameplay is really good, graphics are awesome (even though performance is not), the upgrade system feels satisfactory... I'll surely buy the sequel (I they ever make one).

. Limbo (PS4). I already finished it years ago on X360, bought it on sale and finished it again. Simple gameplay, interesting puzzles, wonderful atmosphere.

I'll probably add Yakuza 5 on PS3 to my "completed games" list if I manage to find enugh time :D... if not it will be the first on my 2016 list though.

In retrospect, I haven't beaten much this year.

Splatoon: I actually liked the campaign a lot more than I thought I would and the final boss was great.

Kirby Rainbow Curse: It was alright. Kind of a filler game tbh.

Tales of Zestiria: I liked it when I got the hang of it, but fuck the party AI. Why is everyone so obsessed with standing right in front of an enemy about to do an ultimate attack?

Life Is Strange: played this with my mom for our Youtube channel. She loved it, while I just thought it was okay.

Majora's Mask 3D: It was Majora's Mask.

Corpse Party Blood Drive: acceptable conclusion to a trilogy I really enjoyed, but I wish it was better.

Danganronpa: Another Episode: Darkest game in the series and a really cool contrast to the other games for super fans like me.

Euphoria: This is the most fucked up piece of media I have ever experienced.

jjonez18

The Last Of Us - Playthrough this game every year. Went through it on grounded+ and Platinumed it. Great story, solid gameplay. Throw the addicting multiplayer on top and you the makings of an evergreen title.

Grand Theft Auto V - Beat it on PS3, but had to see what the FPS view was all about. Like every other GTA game, the crazy characters, iconic city, and solid story makes it one of my favorite sandbox experiences.

Uncharted Drake's Fortune - Had to replay the game that started it all. All prettied up for the PS4. I must say its a much better game than I remember. Story is better than UC3's at least. Gameplay and the set pieces the series is now known for are the only things lacking.

Uncharted Among Thieves - the pinnacle of the series. Everything felt just as right as it did back in 2012 (When I got my PS3 + GOW3 + LBP2). Adventuring through Tibet and Borneo in search of the Cintamani Stone with Nate and crew

Uncharted Drake's Deception - Fun to play. Set pieces and puzzles were the best in the series. Pretty to look at. Without the multiplayer I've really got nothing much to say on UC3.

Bloodborne + The Old Hunters - First Souls game and I must say I've been missing out. The thrill of tackling unique bosses that are just as capable as you are - pure adrenaline. Over 200 hours and no signs of stopping. At least until I make room for DSII and DSIII.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 - Plugged back in my PS3 just to revisit KH. Mainly trying to make sense of the story before KHII. Had fun going through all the nonsense that is Kingdom Hearts. 358/2. Emtoional story.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 - Includes my favorite , KHII. Same as KH 1.5. Just trying to piece together the story. Had fun trying though.

Transistor - My sleeper hit of the year. Some ARPG with alittle turn based, great voice acting, makes use of DS4 speakers, and a touching story. Oh and the artstyle and music. This title oozes charm on top of its unique gameplay.

Infamous First Light - More infamous. Fetch's story was far better than Delsin's. I liked fleshed out powers too.

Rocket League - Best PS+ game ever. It's pure fun.

redcrayon

The Swapper PS+, Vita
Growlanser IV (PsP) Vita
Monster Hunter 3U, WiiU
Suikoden (PsOne) Vita
Suikoden II (PsOne) Vita
Monster Hunter 4 3DS
Blood Bowl iOS
Damascus Gear Vita
Shovel Knight, Vita
Hero Emblems iOS
Tales of Hearts, Vita
Castlevania 4(SNES VC), WiiU
Wolf Among Us, (on sale) Vita
Operation Abyss, Vita
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) Vita
Streets of Rage 2 3D, 3DS
The Swindle, Vita
Mercenaries Saga 2, 3DS
SMTIV,3DS
Titan Souls, Vita UNFINISHED
Xeodrifter PS+ Vita
Etrian Mystery Dungeon, 30 3DS
Heroes of Loot £2.50 Vita
Arc the Lad, (PSOne) Vita
Arc the Lad 2 (PSOne) Vita
Thomas was Alone, Vita
Space Hulk Vita
Dragon Fin Soup PS+ Vita
Trails in the Sky SC, Vita
Rocketbirds: Hard Boiled Chicken PS+ Vita

I had a great year for gaming. The only one I didn't finish was Titan Souls, where I found the walking between boss attempts to be boring.

For me, I'll mainly remember 2015 for Monster Hunter 4 and having discovered loads of older RPGs that I thought were fantastic. Arc the Lad 2 was a particular highlight.

I finished less than half the number of games when compared to last year, what a shame.

Shovel Knight - Liked it a lot, excited to see their next project, hoping Nintendo gives them even more backing and they use the resources to make a really deep game in a similar format

Bloodborne - Glad From is experimenting a bit with the Souls formula but I inevitably much prefer Demon's / Dark Souls 1 to Bloodborne. Still a successful experiment and a really good game.

Her Story - Unique and interesting storytelling, ending didn't do much for me and I don't think I saw the videos in anywhere near the order intended as things became clear quite early on.

Bayonetta 2 - Very good, didn't like how it implemented continues nor did I much care for the characters but gameplay was fantastic throughout.

Dark Souls 2 - Got to the end and finished the Fume Knight DLC, didn't really feel like doing any more so just killed the last boss and uninstalled. It was okay, not great, though I still spent quite a few hours on it.

Wolf Among Us Season 1 - Was really fun putting myself in the shoes of a sherriff of a wacked out place. I generally don't like quick time / button mash events though and this had quite a few. Overall a good experience and I'll pick up S2 as soon as all of the episodes are available for sure.

Undertale - Unique and pretty funny at times. I played it the umm.. 'standard' way and probably missed out on a lot of content because of this. May give it another shot sometime in the future.

Life Is Strange Season 1 - Liked it a lot and really pleasantly surprised to see Square Enix publishing a smaller scale project. It tackled serious issues with varying degrees of success but I really appreciated the experimentation and a different take on the 'modern adventure game' formula.

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void - It was nice to come back to Starcraft and the missions are fun enough, though it was hard to feel any investment in the story after the long wait between chapters.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Overall a decent year. In chronological order:

1) Dragon Age: Inquisition - 9/10. Absolutely loved it. The setting, story and characters were all great.

2) Resident Evil Remake - 10/10. Best survival horror game of all time bar none.

3) The Order 1886 - 7/10. After playing what seemed like a million open-world games in a row, a nice linear shooter was what I needed. Graphics didn't hurt.

4) Bloodborne - 9/10. Never could get into a souls game before, but this game hooked me.

5) GTAV: - 9/10. Second time thru on PS4, made an amazing game even better.

6) AC: Rogue - 7/10. FAR better game than Unity. AC4.5, which was exactly what I wanted.

7) The Witcher 3 - 10/10. Most convincing open-world I have ever seen

8) Batman Arkham Knight - 10/10. My GOTY, Actually loved the batmobile and every other addition as well. The way the included
The Joker
was ingenious.

9) GoW3 Remastered - 9/10. Great update, loved it on PS3.

10) Gears of War Ultimate Edition - 8/10. Same as above

11) MGSV - 9/10. Story might have been a bit janky but it played so fucking well.

12) Uncharted Collection - 10/10. 3 of my favourite games of all time, graphical update made them look just as good as I remember.

13) AC Syndicate - 7/10. A huge improvement on Unity but still has all of the series' jankiness. I can't see myself returning to AC until it's rebooted.

I haven't finished Fallout 4 and haven't started Tomb Raider yet, but I imagine I will like them. I started Dying Light and Dark Souls 2, but just couldn't get into them.

Batman arkham knight..what could have been a great game severely hampered by excessive batmobile utilization. Yeah and more freaking joker didn't help either. 5/10 Worst entry in the series.

This year was pretty slow, completion-wise. Not because I didn't play that many games, but because I kept bloating my backlog.

Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) 8/10
Very fun. The main game was really easy, the bonus worlds not so much. Currently my go-to game for when I want to play something but I don't really want to play anything.

Sonic Colours (DS) 7/10
Hadn't played it in like 4-5 years, but I found my copy and the only thing left to do was fight the final boss. The game is fine, it's like a less cool Rush with fewer bottomless pits.

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3) 9/10
Clearly there's no limit to how much padding and recycling I'll excuse if the story is depressing enough.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night (Vita) 7/10
I skipped through the story mode to unlock everything, if that counts.

Sonic Adventure 2 (PC) 8/10
Not my first time, but it's my first time beating this version! Real talk though, parts of this still hold up really well. If only more parts of it did...

Game Dev Tycoon (PC) 6/10
Decent idea with decent execution, but ultimately there isn't much to it.

Bayonetta (PS3) 11/10
I replay this every year tho

Exentryk

P.T. (PS4) - My "This is Next-Gen" moment. Amazing experience. 10/10.

Transistor (PS4) - Loved the combat system. Great experience. 9/10.

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC) - Masterpiece. 9.5/10.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - Have over 700 hours in it. Enough said. 9/10.

Witcher 3 (PC) - My favourite RPG of all time. 9.5/10.

I don't play a lot of games.

Neuro

Destiny (Yet to be rated, based on the tweaks and features) 1600 hours

I think?

Oh lord save me!

I won't C&P comments, so if you want to read opinions have a click here on my master post in the 52 games... topic.

I've finished:

1. Infamous: First Light (PS4) - 12th January - approx. 6 hours, standard game completion
7.5/10

2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - 27th January - approx. 25 hours, standard completion + majority of side activities completed
8/10

3. Ittle Dew (Android) - 4th February - 3 hours, standard game completion
8.5/10

4. P.T. aka Silent Hills Playable Teaser (PS4) - 16th February - approx. 60 minutes, standard game completion
9/10

5. Never Alone (Kisima In&#331;itchu&#331;a) (PS4) - 16th February - approx. 90 minutes, standard game completion
7.5/10

6. Alien Isolation (PS4) - 18th February - approx. 20 hours, standard completion + some trophy hunting
8/10

7. The Order: 1886 (PS4) - 23rd February - approx. 10 hours, standard game completion (Hard difficulty)
7.5/10

8. Infamous: Second Son (PS4) - 26th February - approx. 15 hours, standard game completion (Hero Path), majority of side activities completed
7.5/10

9. The Room (Android) - 10th March - probably 60-80 minutes overall, standard game completion
9/10

10. The Room Two (Android) - 14th March - approx. 2 hours, standard game completion
9/10

11. Apotheon (PS4) - 15th March - approx. 12 hours, standard completion + some trophy hunting
8/10

12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4) - 31st March - approx. 18 hours, standard completion + majority of side activities completed
8/10

13. Monument Valley (Android) - 9th April - approx. 60-80 minutes, standard game completion
8/10

14. Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (Vita) - 10th April - approx. 15 hours, standard game completion
8/10

15. Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (Vita) - 19th April - approx. 8 hours, standard game completion
8.5/10

16. Shovel Knight (PS4/Vita) - 30th April - 9 hours, standard game completion
8.5/10

17. Titan Souls (Vita) - 7th May- 5 hours, standard game completion
8/10

18. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4) - 20th May - approx 12-14 hours, standard completion + majority of side activities completed
8/10

19. Virtua Tennis 4 (Vita) - 24th May - maybe 15 hours total, played to exhaustion
8/10

20. Trine 2: Complete Edition (PS4) - 30th May - approx. 10 hours, standard game completion (not the DLC)
6/10

21. Trine: Enchanted Edition (PS4) - 1st June - approx. 7 hours, standard game completion
8/10

22. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) - 29th June, approx. 26 hours, standard completion + some trophy hunting
7.5/10

23. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) - 1st July, 101 minutes, completed main mission and one further extraction
6/10

24. Pneuma: Breath of Life (PS4) - 15th July, 140 minutes, standard completion + 80% trophies earned
7/10

25: Destiny (PS4) - 22nd July, approx. 20-25 hours, main plot completed and reached character level 24
8/10

26: Skiing Yeti Mountain (Android) - 22nd July, approx. 2 hours, played to exhaustion
7/10

27: Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) - 26th July, approx 12 hours, standard game completion (Normal difficulty)
7/10 (much more detailed thoughts in my LTTP here)

28: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) - 6th August - approx. 5-6 hours, 100% trophy completion
8/10

29: The Fall (PS4) - 10th August - approx. 6 hours, standard game completion
8.5/10

30: Super Exploding Zoo (Vita) - 15th August - approx. 10 hours, Platinum trophy earned
8/10

31: Neverending Nightmares (Android) - 23rd August - approx. 2-3 hours, standard completion (top route taken)
8/10

32: Draw A Stickman: EPIC (Android) - 25th August - approx. 90-120 minutes, standard completion + majority of side activities completed
7/10

33: Dragon's Crown (Vita) - 31st August - approx. 10 hours, standard completion
8/10

34: Another World (Vita) - 6th September - approx. 60 minutes, 100% trophy completion
7/10

35: Dying Light (PS4) - 19th September - 26 hours, standard completion + majority of sidequests completed
7.5/10

36: Rayman Origins (Vita) - 22nd September - approx. 12 hours, standard game completion
6/10

37: Until Dawn (PS4) - 29th September - approx. 9 hours, standard game completion, 4/8 characters kept alive
8.5/10

Abandoned: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

38: Knightmare Tower (Android) - 7th October - approx. 3 hours, upgrades maxxed out + all challenges complete
8.5/10

39: Goat Simulator (PS4) - 8th October - approx. 4 hours, 97% trophy completion
7/10

40: Major Mayhem (Android) - 20th October - approx. 4-5 hours, standard completion + majority of side activities complete
7.5/10

41. Dark Souls (PS3) - 25th October - 60 hours, single standard game completion
8/10

42. Velocity Ultra (Vita) - 1st November - approx. 6-8 hours, standard game completion
8/10

43. Coconut Dodge Revitalised (Vita) - 2nd November - approx. an hour, played to exhaustion
5/10

44. The Walking Dead Season 1 (PS3) - 7th November - approx. 12 hours, Platinum trophy earned
9/10

45. House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Cut (PS3) - 8th November - probably 10-15 hours, standard completion + 3 weapons full upgraded
7/10

46. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (PS4) - 17th
8/10

47. Major Laser (Android) - 28th November - approx. an hour, played to exhaustion
5/10

48. Lara Croft GO (Android) - 30th November - approx. 2.5 hours, completed the main game and the Cave of Fire DLC
8.5/10

49. The Wolf Among Us (PS3) - 2nd December - approx. 10 hours, Platinum trophy earned
8.5/10

50. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4) - 3rd December - approx. 7-8 hours, standard game completion (Normal difficulty)
8/10

51. Rocket League (PS4) - 3rd December - approx. 6-8 hours, played to exhaustion
8/10

I'll definitely hit 52 games completed before the end of the year. I'm currently playing Grim Fandango (Vita), Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3) and Final Fantasy VII (PS4).

Broken Age - Excellent LucasArts style adventure. Funniest game since Portal 2.
Invisible Ince - Excellent turnbased roguelike.
The Witcher 3 - GOTY.

Currently making my way through Fallout 4.

It's been an excellent year for games.

I'll sort stuff in alphabetical order.

Borderlands : The Pre-Sequel
I almost exclusively played the game with three of my friends, and needless to say, we had a blast. We started playing last year, but got over the last DLCs during the first part of this year. Athena was really, really fun to play as.

Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth
Good story, great characters, stellar soundtrack, this game is probably my highlight of the year. It wasn't perfect, but it was everything I could ask out of an RPG. A simple system with no bullshit mechanic, just pure and mindless fun.

Disgaea 4 : A Promise Unforgotten
"Beaten" is probably a very vague word when it comes to Disgaea. Let's say I reached the point where I am done with the game. I've done all optional quests, save for a few minor ones, and I am not really motivated to get destroyed by those 10 Pringer-X. I had my share of fun, but there's a point where you have to play some other stuff.

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
I almost didn't put this one, but I did 1cc it for the first time this year, so I can consider it beaten as a shmup. It was only on Normal, but it's still one of my first 1ccs ever.

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
A great sequel to the first one, and the minigames were fun. (And now I know how to play Koi-koi!)

Final Fantasy VII (LLNM Run)
Very fun challenge, albeit a little too demanding with XP management (also, f**k you, Demon's Gate). I'm always happy to revisit this game though, and I am wondering about which challenge I should do next.

Muramasa Rebirth
Never got around finishing this one, but I finally got back into it. I have yet to know why the hell I stopped playing it, considering how much I loved it after playing it again. I don't think I have anything bad to say about this game.

Return of Touhou Mother
As a fan of both Mother and Touhou, seeing this one finished and translated was a godsend. It was as good as the first one, if not better thanks to the Mother 3 mechanics spicing things up a bit. More characters, more balance, more story, more sillyness, the only thing that underwhelmed me a little was the final boss, but maybe it is because the final boss in the first one was so good.

I'm currently playing Tales of Zestiria and UmiharaKawase, as well as games I play regularly (TF2 and Fighting games), though the recent acquisition of an ebook reader will make it difficult to concentrate of lots of games.

I'm pretty sure I spent more time playing games this year than I have since 2010/2011. Best to worst:

Ninja Gaiden II - 10/10 - (Replayed Mentor & counterstopped Mission Mode) Masterpiece.
Dodonpachi Daioujou - 10/10 - (2-ALL) Masterpiece.
The Adventure of Little Ralph - 9.5/10 - One of, if not the best action/platform game ever made.
Persona 4 Golden - 9.5/10 - Probably my favorite RPG ever.
Earth Defense Force 4.1 - 9/10 - One of the best TPS ever. Probably only second to Vanquish.
Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin - 9/10 - (100% completion) Love the setting. One of the best games in the series and perhaps my favorite (though I think 2 is the best all around)
Halo 5 - 9/10 - Great campaign and it might have the best multiplayer in the series, too. Huge improvement over 4.
Metal Gear Solid V - 9/10 - (Platinum) Superb gameplay, but it's clearly unfinished.
Sayonara Umihara Kawase - 8.5/10 - (Platinum) Excellent, but the crab boss alone is enough to dock points from this game. Just awful.
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 8.5/10 - (Platinum) Vergil is great.
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 8.5/10
Bloodborne - 8.5/10 - Great, but felt like a step back from the previous Souls games in a number of ways. I haven't played through the DLC yet, though.
Okami HD - 8.5/10 - (Platinum) Zelda if it were good.
Sunset Overdrive - 8.5/10 - (1000'd) Easily the best game of this nature that I've played.
The Last of Us Remastered - 8/10 - (Platinum) Much better than I expected, since Uncharted sucks.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - (100%) - A great sample of MGSV. The
Shadow Moses
mission gets a 10/10.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - 7.5/10 - (1000'd) Uncharted if it were good, part two.
Trials Fusion - 7.5/10 - It's Trials.
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Uncharted if it were good.
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 7/10 - (1000'd) Good combat & likable characters.
Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls - 7/10 - (Platinum) A shoddy RE4 in a Danganronpa wrapper. Good enough for me.
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - 7/10 - Just like Guardian of Light or whatever it was called. Pretty good.
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - 6/10 - (Platinum) Totally mindless, but still kinda fun.
Transformers: Devastation - 6/10 - (Platinum) Decent action game hurt by awful RPG mechanics.
inFAMOUS Second Son - 6/10 - (Platinum) Decent, but forgettable.
WWE 2K16 - 5/10 - Pure mediocrity.
Until Dawn - N/A - (Platinum) Good movie.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors
- 1cc'd a few arcade routes and completed a bunch of CS missions, but I haven't played this enough to figure out where to put it. It should be in the top 30% of this list, at least.

Hmmm, let's see here....

Demon's Souls: 9/10
Dark Souls: 10/10
Dark Souls 2: 4/10
Bloodborne: 10/10
Undertale 9/10
Dragon's Crown: 8/10
Ys Memories of Celceta: 7/10
Suikoden: 6/10
Suikoden 2: 10/10
Shovel Knight: 8/10
Guilty Gear Xrd: 9/10
Vib Ribbon: 6/10
Under Night in Birth EX:Late: 7/10
Splatoon: 8/10
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3d: 8/10
Ori and the Blind Forest: 7/10
Hyrule Warriors: 7/10

League of Legends and Heartstone are also games I played a lot, can't finish them but I thought they were great fun. Hearthstone I kind of left behind me by now though since I didn't feel like spending more money to get all the new cards in the expansions they made. League keeps adding more interesting stuff though and with the new season changes, it spiced things up a lot again.

Probably forgetting some games, but most of my time has gone into the Soulsborne games this year I have to say. Outside Dark Souls 2 being a stinker to me, the rest is unbelievably good, like top 10 games of all time kind of good which was very unexpected. And although I think Bloodborne does some things worse than Dark Souls 1, it also does some things better and quite differently. So it about evens things out for me.

Undertale really stood out in terms of an emotional experience, the gameplay wasn't quit up there compared to the music and the story, but it was quite interesting and funny regardless.

Majora's Mask gets 2 points knocked off for the changes they made that I did not appreciate much. Nintendo tried to hard to make it a more handholdy experience which I dislike tremendously in their games in general. So that was very unwelcome.

Splatoon is surprisingly fun and very novel. I'm glad we got a big new Nintendo franchise out of it, at least I hope so. I wanna see more Squidkids in the future!

Suikoden 2 though, that one really caught me off guard. I know the things people say about it were always positive, but I did not expect to love it this much. Truly a timeless PS1 gem.

All in all, I know my list is lacking in big Western games, but I usually do play those as well. But none of them really caught my eye so far outside the indies I played and the Souls games are still sucking up a lot of my spare time. I'm currently working on Xenoblade Chronicles X as well, so that ought to close out the year I think.

Top Bottom