• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

Counting up season 2 votes.

3. "Lesson Zero" - 5
5. "Sisterhooves Social" - 5
6. "The Cutie Pox" - 0
7. "May the Best Pet Win!" - 2
8. "The Mysterious Mare Do Well" - 0
9. "Sweet and Elite" - 3
10. "Secret of My Excess" - 1
11. "Family Appreciation Day" - 1
12. "Baby Cakes" - 0
13. "Hearth's Warming Eve" - 1
14. "The Last Roundup" - 0
15. "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" - 3
16. "Read It and Weep" - 3
17. "Hearts and Hooves Day" - 3
18. "A Friend in Deed" - 5
19. "Putting Your Hoof Down" - 3
21. "Dragon Quest" - 0
22. "Hurricane Fluttershy" - 5
23. "Ponyville Confidential" - 0
24. "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" - 0

5 votes
3. "Lesson Zero"
5. "Sisterhooves Social"
18. "A Friend in Deed"
22. "Hurricane Fluttershy"

3 votes
9. "Sweet and Elite"
15. "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000"
16. "Read It and Weep"
17. "Hearts and Hooves Day"
19. "Putting Your Hoof Down"

2 or less votes
6. "The Cutie Pox" - 0
12. "Baby Cakes" - 0
21. "Dragon Quest" - 0

So a sample episode list with episodes with 3 or more votes.
1. "The Return of Harmony - Part 1"
2. "The Return of Harmony - Part 2"
3. "Lesson Zero"
4. "Luna Eclipsed"
5. "Sisterhooves Social"
6. "The Cutie Pox"
7. "May the Best Pet Win!"
8. "The Mysterious Mare Do Well"
9. "Sweet and Elite"
10. "Secret of My Excess"
11. "Family Appreciation Day"
12. "Baby Cakes"
13. "Hearth's Warming Eve"
14. "The Last Roundup"
16. "Read It and Weep"
18. "A Friend in Deed"
20. "It's About Time"
21. "Dragon Quest"
23. "Ponyville Confidential"
24. "MMMystery on the Friendship Express"
25. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1"
26. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2"

I was actually expecting more of a spread in votes, but thankfully, deciding the final episode list shouldn't be too difficult for this season.

No essential viewing mark for "Lesson Zero"? It got more essential votes than It's About Time did.

The necessary episodes were never up for vote. I said as much from the start and when you wanted all of the season 4 key arc episodes listed as necessary. I did say that I was willing to be persuaded against including "It's About Time", but I wasn't convinced. As for "Lesson Zero", as I mentioned, none of the other season 2 necessary episodes actually involve anyone other than Twilight writing a friendship report and they stop writing reports in season 3, so I don't feel it's an episode that has to be watched, even if it's a great episode.

EDIT: Friendship is Musical episodes 13-14

Jay RaR

...I guess I should step in since I'm the only one who didn't count It's About Time as a recommended or necessary episode (in which those votes Sigma stealthily hid hehe).

The only thing we learned in this episode is that events can't be changed or altered and that the series of events were always destined to happen (in this case Twilight dressing up as a spy with noticeable changes to her body and attire and [failing] to warn her past self of what's to come). However that's not really the case for the Season 5 Finale as there were multiple timelines (or universes? idk) that take place all because one event in the past (Rainbow Dash performing the Sonic Rainboom) was changed. I take Twilight's actions in It's About Time as events that were supposed to happen but the actions surrounding the Sonic Rainboom had the effect of different timelines or alternate universes being made. I guess what I'm trying to say is that It's About Time doesn't really establish any lore being acknowledged since the timeline isn't linear (or the other timelines were erased?). I kinda remember Twilight mentioning how she fiddled with time in regards to It's About Time but I don't think the viewer needs to know how she knows since the viewer can probably establish that Twilight has probably researched about time travel off screen. Like how I accepted that she can do mega huge hyper beams, teleporting, and phasing into a book. Also I don't know if the multiple timelines thing contradicts It's About Time. It could be but I'm not sure if it's a plothole or not.

And personally I find It's About Time a one and done episode. A couple of good jokes and that was it. Lesson Zero at least set the standard for the second season with the Mane 6 minus Twilight having to write friendship reports. I guess that's more important than one in-universe fact about time travel in Equestria that Twilight learned which didn't really apply in the Season 5 finale. You could also argue that Starswirl did research about time travel, came up short and Starlight improved it but I feel since the show barely uses Starswirl or his advanced spells his time travel spell can be inserted in the season 5 finale randomly without any prior knowledge and a seasoned viewer would be ok with it (at least I'd be ok with it since we know Starswirl is the most well known and powerful unicorn who've ever lived).

PaulloDEC

To be honest I'm not sure either Lesson Zero or About Time really qualify as absolutely mandatory. I gave the edge to the latter because the establishment of time travel as a thing that exists in Equestria is important to me as the huge lore dork I am. It also sets up the "Tartarus" stuff, which is a nice bonus.

The "letters to Celestia" thing never struck me as particularly important story-wise, so having it change in S2 doesn't mean a lot to me personally. Which of these seems more important will naturally just vary from person to person.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
To be honest I'm not sure either Lesson Zero or About Time really qualify as absolutely mandatory. I gave the edge to the latter because the establishment of time travel as a thing that exists in Equestria is important to me as the huge lore dork I am. It also sets up the "Tartarus" stuff, which is a nice bonus.

The "letters to Celestia" thing never struck me as particularly important story-wise, so having it change in S2 doesn't mean a lot to me personally. Which of these seems more important will naturally just vary from person to person.

I can see that argument that"Lesson Zero" might not be absolutely needed, but I would still stand by it being more important to the series than "It's About Time" was.

Going through the season 1 episodes made me realize a comparison for "It's About Time". If Pinkie's Pinkie Sense ended up actually being relevant to the story of a two-parter, I would have included "Feeling Pinkie Keen" as a necessary episode even though you could justify that Pinkie does weird things all the time. Though speaking of that, "It's About Time" actually does conveniently explain the Pinkie Sense too.

But before we get to the season 1 episodes, the MLP Facebook page updated its profile image with a shot of the towns of Equestria, and Ponyville for some reason has the river replaced by what appears to be a race track. Could this be from a future episode?
image.jpg

And ED is doing an article series where each Saturday, they go over the general fan reaction to an episode, starting from the first.

That inspired me to track down my own first posts about My Little Pony, posted on a social topic on GameFAQs on March 19th-20th, 2011 (I don't have a link; I save things I write that may be interesting to future me). For the record, the latest episode at the time was 20 ("Green Isn't Your Color"), which means that the next one was "Over a Barrel". Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that one. Between the below posts, imagine some light ribbing.

12 hours without a post?

Anyway, decided to check out the first episode of that new My Little Pony series that's causing such a hubbub (because it's on The Hub, you see) on the intratubes. The characters are all unique and likable, the art style is appealing, and for show aimed at very young children, it has a complex story (by which I mean it actually has a story). I could definitely see this appealing to adults, particularly those that would be forced to watch it with their children, but it's amazing that it got to the level of being Banned On The Internet.

I like it well enough, but I probably wouldn't watch any more episodes after I finish watching what's already out. But then again, I do like it well enough to bother watching the episodes that are already out.

--

Second episode... did I really just see two fights (albeit very short ones), the latter of which is actually resolved by clever use of powers? Also, I wasn't aware that the show has songs, but surprisingly, I don't mind that much.

Edit: Third episode... did they really just play a Jimmy Hart Version of the Benny Hill theme during a chase scene?

--

If it confirms my manliness, I did get worn out after four episodes.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PGKcikaGY

I don't see how anyone can hate a series that has this.

And **** I CAN'T STOP

--

My Little Pony and Deadly Premonition make for a surprisingly effective pair.

===

Anyway, opening up voting for season 1. List for copying.

1. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 1"
2. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2"
3. "The Ticket Master"
4. "Applebuck Season"
5. "Griffon the Brush Off"
6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"
8. "Look Before You Sleep"
9. "Bridle Gossip"
10. "Swarm of the Century"
11. "Winter Wrap Up"
12. "Call of the Cutie"
13. "Fall Weather Friends"
14. "Suited for Success"
15. "Feeling Pinkie Keen"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"
17. "Stare Master"
18. "The Show Stoppers"
19. "A Dog and Pony Show"
20. "Green Isn't Your Color"
21. "Over a Barrel"
22. "A Bird in the Hoof"
23. "The Cutie Mark Chronicles"
24. "Owl's Well That Ends Well"
25. "Party of One"
26. "The Best Night Ever"

This is going to be a real tough one to select episodes for. I still stand by other seasons being overall stronger, but there are so many character defining moments in this first season that you have to exclude some no matter what. Anyway, since "Magic Duel" is a highly voted season 3 episode, that will need "Boast Busters", and season 5's "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" will need "Griffon the Brush-Off". My votes and character tags, and explanations for some episodes.

3. "The Ticket Master" - Twilight Sparkle, Main Six
This was a hard cut, since it's notable as the first "normal" episode.
4. "Applebuck Season" - Applejack, Main Six
5. "Griffon the Brush Off" - Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash
6. "Boast Busters" - Twilight Sparkle
7. "Dragonshy" - Fluttershy, Main Six
8. "Look Before You Sleep" - Applejack, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle
9. "Bridle Gossip"
Introduces Zecora and, on the side, properly introduces Apple Bloom.
10. "Swarm of the Century" - Main Six
11. "Winter Wrap Up" - Twilight Sparkle, Main Six
I still think this is a weak episode overall, but the song is pretty important to the fandom and there are several callbacks to it.
12. "Call of the Cutie"
13. "Fall Weather Friends" - Applejack, Rainbow Dash
14. "Suited for Success" - Rarity, Main Six
15. "Feeling Pinkie Keen" - Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie
16. "Sonic Rainboom" - Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Main Six
17. "Stare Master" - Fluttershy, Cutie Mark Crusaders
18. "The Show Stoppers" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
19. "A Dog and Pony Show" - Rarity, Spike, Main Six
It was hard cutting this, and I even had this as recommended instead of "Dragonshy", since this is one of the good Spike episodes and has Rarity taking control of a dangerous situation.
20. "Green Isn't Your Color" - Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie
21. "Over a Barrel" - Main Six
22. "A Bird in the Hoof" - Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle
This is another iffy necessary episode, and I probably would have left it out if not for "The Cutie Re-Mark" requiring you to recognize the actual scenes of Rainbow Dash's flashback.
24. "Owl's Well That Ends Well" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle
25. "Party of One" - Pinkie Pie, Main Six
26. "The Best Night Ever" - Main Six

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
"Best Night Ever" doesn't get underlined? Gives us our first good look at Canterlot, and gives Celestia some characterization. Also helps build Rainbow Dash's relationship with the Wonderbolts.

3. "The Ticket Master"
4. "Applebuck Season"
5. "Griffon the Brush Off":
6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"
9. "Bridle Gossip"
11. "Winter Wrap Up"

12. "Call of the Cutie"
14. "Suited for Success"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"
17. "Stare Master"
18. "The Show Stoppers"
21. "Over a Barrel"
22. "A Bird in the Hoof"
25. "Party of One"

PaulloDEC

I'm pretty sure my first public post about MLP was a slightly smug write-up on a Doctor Who forum about how the show was neat, but a bit too sweet and cutesy for me to want to watch it all the time. So much for that.

That Ponyville racetrack image is kinda interesting too. I wonder if it has any relation to the other images, or if they just used it as a generic Ponyville image?

Anyway, Season 1:

- It's the premiere, enough said
3. "The Ticket Master"
4. "Applebuck Season"
6. "Boast Busters"

7. "Dragonshy"
9. "Bridle Gossip" - Introduces Zecora
11. "Winter Wrap Up"
12. "Call of the Cutie" - Sets up the Crusaders
14. "Suited for Success"

16. "Sonic Rainboom"
17. "Stare Master"
18. "The Show Stoppers"
21. "Over a Barrel"
22. "A Bird in the Hoof"
23. "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" - Key Mane 6 backstory
25. "Party of One"
26. "The Best Night Ever" - This one is borderline, but I feel that the way it reaffirms the goals/desires of the Mane 6 and sets up Canterlot makes it important, especially for new viewers.

Jay RaR

It would've been neat to have seen the fandom when the first season was still new but I joined midway into the 2nd season.

- Probably what I wouldn't recommend for first time viewers to get into the show but it's at least important to see where it all started.
3. "The Ticket Master"
4. "Applebuck Season"
6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"

9. "Bridle Gossip" - Adds Zecora who does play a major role in the Season 4 Premiere and somewhat helps in the Season 5 finale.
11. "Winter Wrap Up"

12. "Call of the Cutie" - Like others have said, establishes the formation of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.
14. "Suited for Success"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"

17. "Stare Master"
18. "The Show Stoppers"
21. "Over a Barrel"
22. "A Bird in the Hoof"
23. "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" - Important to know how each of the Mane 6 got their cutie mark and gives insight as to how each acquired . Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom being the prime reason they are what they are now emphasized by how much Starlight wants this event to be changed to screw over Twilight.
25. "Party of One"
26. "The Best Night Ever" - Really tough call, but I don't think this episode is that necessary in the long run of things. We see Canterlot again but only inside Celestia's Castle. There's no huge stake or status quo being changed in this episode.

UberTag

6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"
9. "Bridle Gossip"
11. "Winter Wrap Up"
12. "Call of the Cutie"
14. "Suited for Success"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"

MLP toys are heading back to McDonalds, with Twilight, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Rarity, ...Starlight, Coco, and ...Suri Polomare.
No Applejack, of course.
Capture.JPG

PaulloDEC

MLP toys are heading back to McDonalds, with Twilight, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Rarity, ...Starlight, Coco, and ...Suri Polomare.
No Applejack, of course.
Capture.JPG

Seriously, what's up with that? Do Applejack toys just not sell or something? Do little girls hate Applejack?

Oh hey, I was looking through my ImageShack images (from before it went bad) and found this oldie. Moved to Imgur because ImageShack wouldn't cooperate.
After season 1 ended, this image was made by someone to show how every single episode was able to produce a meme. Some of them are real stretches--I don't even know what the "The Ticket Master" one is (Fake Edit: Oh wait, it's, "And I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'")--but it did make me remember old memes like Fluttershy watching TV.

PaulloDEC

Friendship is Witchcraft is back! This is "Horse Women - Part 2", covering more of the first Equestria Girls, but not finishing it. And the start of "Return of Harmony". I thought this episode was decent, and there were some nice twists.

Also, Aviators remix of "The Magic Inside".

These are both great. I really need to watch FiW properly sometime, I really like the sense of humour they've got going on.

Oh hey, I was looking through my ImageShack images (from before it went bad) and found this oldie. Moved to Imgur because ImageShack wouldn't cooperate.

After season 1 ended, this image was made by someone to show how every single episode was able to produce a meme. Some of them are real stretches--I don't even know what the "The Ticket Master" one is (Fake Edit: Oh wait, it's, "And I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'")--but it did make me remember old memes like Fluttershy watching TV.

That must've been a strange time. It might be a lot quieter now, but I don't think I'd miss all the meme-ing.

Friendship is Musical - Episodes 15-16

Last call for season 1 votes, and every other season. I will count them up tomorrow.

As for where we go from there, I'll provide adjustments to every season list based on character coverage mostly and get feedback, probably one season a day, starting from season 1 this time. Well, probably season 2, really, since season 1 episode selections are tight enough without having to take into consideration giving each character an episode (sorry, Applejack). Same applies to skipping season 3, since that doesn't even have an episode for every character (sorry, Rarity).

After that, I'll type out all the text to use in the guide and I'll do a mockup of the episode list for season 1. After that, well, honestly, I'd prefer not to make the actual episode guide images, but I will if no one else wants to. I'll upload each season as a separate image in an Imgur album, and then we're done.

As for what we actually do with the guide, I suppose I'll just put it in the season 5 OT OP, post it in the other forums I go to with MLP topics, and send it over to Equestria Daily as "PonyGAF's recommended episode guide". We don't exactly get many people asking what episodes to watch here on NeoGAF, but I guess it can come in handy if someone does. Like I mentioned at the start, this was mainly just to have a group activity for the start of the break.

PaulloDEC

I can take a shot at the guide images. Once all the data is sorted we can start thinking about what would be good in terms of layout/extra info.

I can take a shot at the guide images. Once all the data is sorted we can start thinking about what would be good in terms of layout/extra info.

That'd be great, thanks!

Before I get to the votes, the new Equestria Girls Minis short about Twilight, clocking in at only about 10 seconds without the bookends. Unlike Pinkie, Twilight still has purple skin. This was cute, I suppose, and had decent stop-motion.

And ED did a showcase of the early-fandom artist Moe. I hadn't actually seen a lot of this art until now. It's a shame he or she isn't uploading art anymore.

Village

Seriously, what's up with that? Do Applejack toys just not sell or something? Do little girls hate Applejack?

I'm not going to make any large , like claims, this is ancidotal.

But I actually know... quite a few folks who grew up with parents who were farmers and on farms, and most of the are women. Most of em are like anime nerds who eventually move the hell out and go somewhere else and stuff. this isn't " i met them at an anime con" nah most of em I met in completely neutral settings. Like from what I have experience through my ancidotal evidence, that the american farm girl who grew up on a farm and is now taking over that farm and kids in general is kind of a thing that is slowly not existing. So every one else appeals to archetype that is very much modern, except her.

Again its largely ancidotal, this is my personal experience. But growing up on a farm seems nowadays to produce nerds who don't like the farm. In my anecdotal experience, she would be more accurate if she didn't wish to be incharge of the farm and was really into say like, comic books or manga or something. Maybe they can do that with apple bloom

But again, this is acidotal

pannagape

Banned
I can understand Coco and Starlight because they're cute and popular... but Suri? If not AJ then they should have used somepony like Coloratura.

Counting up season 1 votes.

3. "The Ticket Master" - 0
4. "Applebuck Season" - 0
5. "Griffon the Brush Off" - 4
6. "Boast Busters" - 4
7. "Dragonshy" - 4
8. "Look Before You Sleep" - 0
10. "Swarm of the Century" - 2
11. "Winter Wrap Up" - 5
13. "Fall Weather Friends" - 1
14. "Suited for Success" - 5
15. "Feeling Pinkie Keen" - 1
16. "Sonic Rainboom" - 5
17. "Stare Master" - 0
18. "The Show Stoppers" - 0
19. "A Dog and Pony Show" - 1
20. "Green Isn't Your Color" - 4
21. "Over a Barrel" - 0
22. "A Bird in the Hoof" - 1
24. "Owl's Well That Ends Well" - 0
25. "Party of One" - 3
26. "The Best Night Ever" - 5

5 votes
11. "Winter Wrap Up"
14. "Suited for Success"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"

4 votes
6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"

3 votes
25. "Party of One"

2 or less votes
3. "The Ticket Master" - 0
4. "Applebuck Season" - 0
8. "Look Before You Sleep" - 0
10. "Swarm of the Century" - 2
13. "Fall Weather Friends" - 1
15. "Feeling Pinkie Keen" - 1
17. "Stare Master" - 0
18. "The Show Stoppers" - 0
19. "A Dog and Pony Show" - 1
21. "Over a Barrel" - 0
22. "A Bird in the Hoof" - 1
24. "Owl's Well That Ends Well" - 0

So:
3. "The Ticket Master"
4. "Applebuck Season"
6. "Boast Busters"
7. "Dragonshy"
9. "Bridle Gossip"
11. "Winter Wrap Up"
12. "Call of the Cutie"
14. "Suited for Success"
16. "Sonic Rainboom"
17. "Stare Master"
18. "The Show Stoppers"
21. "Over a Barrel"
22. "A Bird in the Hoof"
25. "Party of One"

Looking at character focuses, leaving out episodes that focus on the entire Main Six, using the character tags I posted earlier, we have this coverage:

Applejack:

Fluttershy:
7. "Dragonshy" - Fluttershy, Main Six

Pinkie Pie:
25. "Party of One" - Pinkie Pie, Main Six

Rainbow Dash:

Rarity:
14. "Suited for Success" - Rarity, Main Six

Twilight Sparkle:
6. "Boast Busters" - Twilight Sparkle
11. "Winter Wrap Up" - Twilight Sparkle, Main Six

Cutie Mark Crusaders:
12. "Call of the Cutie"

Spike:

Like I mentioned, I won't make adjustments to season 1 to address character coverage, but it seems like it mostly worked out well anyway. Except for Applejack and Spike. So 14 episodes total for season 1. I'd say "a bit over half" is a good rate for each season.
That would make for a total of 63 episodes out of 117.

We'll go with this list for season 1 unless there are complaints. Concerning "Best Night Ever" being necessary, nothing in that episode ever comes up again besides the introduction of Spitfire, Soarin', and Donut Joe, and they don't appear in any later necessary episodes. The other events of the episode don't even come up in "Make New Friends but Keep Discord".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The events of that episode come up in "Twilight's Kingdom" and "The Cutie Re-Mark". How is "Best Night Ever" similar?

Cutie Remark already has the exposition dialogue needed to set it up. I don't think you need 22 minutes to explain that time travel exists in the world, when the S5 finale explains that time travel exists in the world.

"Best Night Ever" works well in conjunction with "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" is fleshing out our characters past and present and fuiture in a way the pilot does not.

I just think you're not being consistent with what you consider "essential".

PaulloDEC

Regarding "Best Night Ever", I sorta see both sides. While I'd hesitate to call it totally essential, I do think it'd be a really valuable story for viewers who're just skimming through the series. I think it's a really good summary/mission statement for the show.

Given Sigma is doing all the work, I'm happy for him to make the call.

I'm not going to make any large , like claims, this is ancidotal.

But I actually know... quite a few folks who grew up with parents who were farmers and on farms, and most of the are women. Most of em are like anime nerds who eventually move the hell out and go somewhere else and stuff. this isn't " i met them at an anime con" nah most of em I met in completely neutral settings. Like from what I have experience through my ancidotal evidence, that the american farm girl who grew up on a farm and is now taking over that farm and kids in general is kind of a thing that is slowly not existing. So every one else appeals to archetype that is very much modern, except her.

Again its largely ancidotal, this is my personal experience. But growing up on a farm seems nowadays to produce nerds who don't like the farm. In my anecdotal experience, she would be more accurate if she didn't wish to be incharge of the farm and was really into say like, comic books or manga or something. Maybe they can do that with apple bloom

But again, this is acidotal

I mean, I could believe that. Maybe the "farm girl" archetype just doesn't resonate with kids these days.

I can understand Coco and Starlight because they're cute and popular... but Suri? If not AJ then they should have used somepony like Coloratura.

This on the other hand is just baffling. As you say, there's a million other characters they could've gone with before Suri bloody Polomare of all characters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding "Best Night Ever", I sorta see both sides. While I'd hesitate to call it totally essential, I do think it'd be a really valuable story for viewers who're just skimming through the series. I think it's a really good summary/mission statement for the show.

Given Sigma is doing all the work, I'm happy for him to make the call.

I'd also add to the defense of "Best Night Ever" that the show really doesn't have a lot of episodes about the mane 6. I agree that the two parters are essential, but most the two parters in the show are just about Twilight. I'd say that adding in a great episode like Best Night Ever that does a great job and characterizing the Mane 6 is essential. Because to be honest, someone just following the Essential Viewing List, really isn't going to get the show or what it's usually about.

But yes, it's Sigma's list and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Alright, I'll concede to dropping "It's About Time" down to a recommended episode with an annotation that details introduced in that episode are relevant to the season 4 and 5 finales, even if the main plot isn't.

I don't believe there is a need to remind the viewer that the show is about more than Twilight. It's a visual episode guide, they'd be scrolling past the recommended episode descriptions no matter what. They'll see when scrolling down to the end of the season 1 list that there's an episode where everyone gets together for a big party, and that a ton of episodes have the "Main Six" tag and that most don't have Twilight tagged.

Village

I mean, I could believe that. Maybe the "farm girl" archetype just doesn't resonate with kids these days.

Like should could totally just a character that unfortunately just doesn't gel. Totally

Again this is anecdotal, it just seems outdated. Like a lot of the farms I know, and have seen i dunno. It kinda seems like their parents would rather they weren't working on the farm. Like " hey go do something with your life, this farm is going to like a business and sold to investors. Like go, go be a person." Or the even bigger thing lot of folks who know there parents grew up on farms and they got out because they wanted to do their own thing.

Like you remember the flim flam bros and their machine and the apples. Like what did teach kids? What was the lesson there, because the end of the day, they are eating modified foods, cropped by machined, sent to other places factories turned into juice or apple apple sauce or whatever. When your kid gets that apple sauce its been though some stuff you know? And even as a kid, I got that, because you question. How did that solid thing become mush?

Again anecdotal, it just seems like who she is as a character just seem whole sale irrelevant to kids, and problably there parents, and there parents parents even.

Socially akward smart girl, thats a thing.
Over confident brave girl who gets in over her head, thing
Shy girl who is good with animals because she isn't good with dealing with people, a thing
Crazy hyper girl talking about parties and really wants to have a good time, a lot of times drunk, but still a thing
Girl taking care of her sister, trying to start her own business doing fashion, thing and probably super duper relevant to a lot of the intended target demo.

But farm girl, who wants to keep the farm going and works on the farm, because its the old fashioned way... eh? Anecdotal again , at least at my experience. Farm girl is some girl you meet a comic shop with like tatoo's or in your art class, and after talking about whatever anime she mentions she grew on a farm and the conversation doesn't really about the farm back story don't go father than "Thats cool" and she says " no not really" or " it was fine ". And that's about as far as that goes, you occasionally get a " i went back home to the farm with my family" story. But that's the long and the short of it. Now a day's the farm girl part doesn't really inform peoples stories. Its like there parents stories.

Like there is a good chance girl on farm like right now, who's parents have animals out there and junk. Is watching this show, while she might think granny reminds her of her granny might be identifying with everyone else but apple jack. She don't wanna be on this farm, she wants to be out doing her thing.

I don't know what it is about farms, but I see it a lot. " I grew up on a farm " is now a " oh that's neat" you don't build around that.

Jay RaR

I honestly don't mind if It's About Time and The Best Night Ever are added to the recommended list or not. I can see reasons why they could be added (former mentioning Tartarus and introducing time travel and the latter being a Mane 6 episode).

It's About Time is really debatable on this front, but I honestly feel the time travel concept introduced in that episode doesn't really mesh with how the Cutie Re-Mark handles time travel and Twilight afaik doesn't question how Starlight was able to change the past when she herself knew it shouldn't have been possible. Tartarus is mentioned yeah but we don't really explore it or even see its front door. The Best Night Ever does good character development for the Mane 6 altogether, but how is that so different than the solo episodes that build on their characters?

ED's rewatch post for "The Ticket Master". I agree that Rarity didn't exactly come off as a good character at this point. It took both "Suited for Success" and "A Dog and Pony Show" for me to start liking her.

==

No objections about season 1? Then I'll move on to season 2. Quoting myself for the list, making the above adjustment.
5 votes
3. "Lesson Zero"
5. "Sisterhooves Social"
18. "A Friend in Deed"

3 votes
9. "Sweet and Elite"
16. "Read It and Weep"

2 or less votes
6. "The Cutie Pox" - 0
12. "Baby Cakes" - 0
21. "Dragon Quest" - 0

So a sample episode list with episodes with 3 or more votes.
1. "The Return of Harmony - Part 1"
2. "The Return of Harmony - Part 2"
3. "Lesson Zero"
4. "Luna Eclipsed"
5. "Sisterhooves Social"
6. "The Cutie Pox"
7. "May the Best Pet Win!"
8. "The Mysterious Mare Do Well"
9. "Sweet and Elite"
10. "Secret of My Excess"
11. "Family Appreciation Day"
12. "Baby Cakes"
13. "Hearth's Warming Eve"
14. "The Last Roundup"
16. "Read It and Weep"
18. "A Friend in Deed"
20. "It's About Time"
21. "Dragon Quest"
23. "Ponyville Confidential"
24. "MMMystery on the Friendship Express"
26. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2".
That makes for 15 episodes, so I'll see if there's a cut we can make.

Applejack:
5. "Sisterhooves Social" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Applejack
15. "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" - Apple Family

Fluttershy:
19. "Putting Your Hoof Down" - Fluttershy
22. "Hurricane Fluttershy" - Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash

Pinkie Pie:
18. "A Friend in Deed" - Pinkie Pie
20. "It's About Time" - Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Spike

Rainbow Dash:
16. "Read It and Weep" - Rainbow Dash
22. "Hurricane Fluttershy" - Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash

Rarity:
9. "Sweet and Elite" - Rarity

Twilight Sparkle:
3. "Lesson Zero" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
4. "Luna Eclipsed"
26. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2"

Cutie Mark Crusaders:
17. "Hearts and Hooves Day" - Cutie Mark Crusaders

Spike:

For what to cut, I personally dislike "Putting Your Hoof Down", and Fluttershy isn't lacking in good focus episodes in other seasons, but this also seems like a good time to actually put "It's About Time" to vote. If that is selected to be cut, I'll just include an annotation about the relevance of the episode. I'll leave it up to you guys. Should one of those episodes be cut? A different one? Is it fine to leave season 2 at 15 recommended episodes?

I'll still put up season 3 (and 4, I suppose) tomorrow, but this vote will still be open then.

UberTag

I think the big argument for Putting Your Hoof Down relies on whether one feels the episode was integral in the development of Fluttershy's character and whether she made a point of asserting herself in future episodes as a result of her experience with Iron Will.

I feel more strongly about including It's About Time as Charlotte Fullerton's episodes all come off as rather weak and juvenile to me. Suited for Success is pretty much the only other one of her episodes making the "essential list" cut as of right now (which should say something) and I feel that episode was largely carried by a great song and Tabitha's voice acting.

Also in It's About Time's favor, Spike is going to be a veritable non-entity in this list unless we give some of his borderline episodes a pass.

PaulloDEC

I kinda love "Putting Your Hoof Down", but I don't think it's really an important episode in the grander scheme. You could make the argument (as UberTag mentioned) that it plays a part in Fluttershy's development, but we've seen that she can be assertive as far back as Dragonshy.

I'd agree with UberTag again re: "It's About Time" including Spike too.

That looks like a bunch of stock vectors, rather than something from a real episode.

Well, the Facebook page that's from says:
There’s no doubt, friendship is the best thing ever. But friendBOATS are great too!! — Pinkie Pie

Coming in Season 6: Pinkie Pie will discover that there’s nothing quite as fun as rowing a Swan Boat through Manehattan with best friends!! You get to see the city from new and different angles, and it’s a fun way to explore Equestria together!!
Which implies that the concept at least is from a season 6 episode. As for creating an OT, the rule is to wait until the day before the first episode of a season airs.

Anyway, ED's new history post reminded me of the "Pinkie Says Goodnight" comics. It's a shame they ended with season 4.

New fan miniseries animation, "Day and Night", which will be 3 episodes. This was cute, I thought.

Quoting myself for season 3.
6 votes
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville"

5 votes
5. "Magic Duel" - 5

3 votes
4. "One Bad Apple"
7. "Wonderbolts Academy"

2 or less votes
3. "Too Many Pinkie Pies" - 2
8. "Just for Sidekicks" - 2
9. "Apple Family Reunion" - 1
10. "Spike at Your Service" - 0
12. "Games Ponies Play" - 0

So a sample episode list.

1. "The Crystal Empire - Part 1"
2. "The Crystal Empire - Part 2"
3. "Too Many Pinkie Pies"
4. "One Bad Apple"
5. "Magic Duel"
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville"
7. "Wonderbolts Academy"
8. "Just for Sidekicks"
9. "Apple Family Reunion"
10. "Spike at Your Service"
11. "Keep Calm and Flutter On
12. "Games Ponies Play"
13. "Magical Mystery Cure"
Eight episodes total, so we should cut out one.

Applejack:
Pinkie Pie:
Rarity:
Spike:

Fluttershy:
11. "Keep Calm and Flutter On"

Rainbow Dash:
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville" - Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash
7. "Wonderbolts Academy" - Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts

Twilight Sparkle:
1. "The Crystal Empire - Part 1"
2. "The Crystal Empire - Part 2"
5. "Magic Duel" - Twilight Sparkle, Zecora
13. "Magical Mystery Cure"

Cutie Mark Crusaders:
4. "One Bad Apple" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville" - Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash

I actually have a drastic proposal. Drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" (both of the episodes with three votes), and add "Just for Sidekicks". I voted for the former but I recently rewatched it and decided it's not as good as I remember, so both "OBA" and "WA" are just OK to me. "Just for Sidekicks" is also just OK, IMO, but it does seem like there's interest in getting a Spike episode, and the other 2-vote episode is a Pinkie Pie episode, and she gets plenty of representation in other seasons.
EDIT: Alternatively, we could just drop those two episodes and pick a Spike episode for another season, like "Secret of My Excess" or "Power Ponies".

==

As for season 4, the votes were updated since my vote counting post for it, so I'm counting up the votes again.

3. "Castle Mane-ia" - 4
4. "Daring Don't" - 0
5. "Flight to the Finish" - 3
6. "Power Ponies" - 1
7. "Bats!" - 0
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan" - 5
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie" - 5
10. "Rainbow Falls" - 2
11. "Pinkie Pride" - 6
12. "Three's A Crowd" - 1
13. "Simple Ways" - 1
14. "Filli Vanilli" - 2
15. "Twilight Time" - 3
16. "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" - 2
17. "Somepony to Watch Over Me" - 0
18. "Trade Ya!" - 2
19. "Maud Pie" - 5
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - 4
21. "Leap of Faith" - 2
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" - 3
23. "Inspiration Manifestation" - 0
24. "Equestria Games" - 0

6 votes
11. "Pinkie Pride"

5 votes
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan"
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie"
19. "Maud Pie"

4 votes
3. "Castle Mane-ia"
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils"

3 votes
5. "Flight to the Finish"
15. "Twilight Time"
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3"

2 votes or less
4. "Daring Don't" - 0
6. "Power Ponies" - 1
7. "Bats!" - 0
10. "Rainbow Falls" - 2
12. "Three's A Crowd" - 1
13. "Simple Ways" - 1
14. "Filli Vanilli" - 2
16. "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" - 2
17. "Somepony to Watch Over Me" - 0
18. "Trade Ya!" - 2
21. "Leap of Faith" - 2
23. "Inspiration Manifestation" - 0
24. "Equestria Games" - 0

So a sample list with just episodes with 3 votes or more:

1. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1"
2. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2" - Includes a note saying to watch at least one of episodes 8, 10, 11, 16, and 21 even when just watching necessary episodes.
3. "Castle Mane-ia"
4. "Daring Don't"
5. "Flight to the Finish"
6. "Power Ponies"
7. "Bats!"
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan"
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie"
10. "Rainbow Falls"
11. "Pinkie Pride"
12. "Three's A Crowd"
13. "Simple Ways"
14. "Filli Vanilli"
15. "Twilight Time"
16. "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"
17. "Somepony to Watch Over Me"
18. "Trade Ya!"
19. "Maud Pie"
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils"
21. "Leap of Faith"
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3"
23. "Inspiration Manifestation"
24. "Equestria Games"
25. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1"
26. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2"

That's 13 episodes, so we actually have the option to add one more.
Applejack:
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family

Fluttershy:

Pinkie Pie:
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family
11. "Pinkie Pride" - Pinkie Pie
19. "Maud Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six

Rainbow Dash:
5. "Flight to the Finish" - Scootaloo, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rainbow Dash
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" - Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six

Rarity:
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan" - Rarity, Mane Six
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Luna

Twilight Sparkle:
1. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1"
2. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2"
15. "Twilight Time" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight Sparkle
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" - Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
25. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1"
26. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2"

Cutie Mark Crusaders:
5. "Flight to the Finish" - Scootaloo, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rainbow Dash
15. "Twilight Time" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight Sparkle
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Luna

Spike:

So the added episode should be a Spike or Fluttershy episode, and out of those, the ones with the most votes (2) are "Filli Vanilli" and "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies". If you pardon me for presuming what this thread would go for, I'll add "Filli Vanilli" to the list.

PaulloDEC

As a fan of "Just for Sidekicks" I'd be happy for that one to be added in. Is there any need to drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolt Academy" though? I'm probably more a fan of the former than the latter, but either one being dropped would be fine by me.

Re: Season 4, "Filli Vanilli" definitely seems like the smart choice.

As a fan of "Just for Sidekicks" I'd be happy for that one to be added in. Is there any need to drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolt Academy" though? I'm probably more a fan of the former than the latter, but either one being dropped would be fine by me.

I was trying to stick to the 63-episode limit I imposed on the guide, and I figured that dropping those two episodes would be a good way to get a Spike-focused episode somewhere. Of course, we could go up on the episode limit, but I think I'll save that option until I go through season 5 as though we stuck to 63 episodes total, and then see if there are any obvious gaps.

PaulloDEC

I was trying to stick to the 63-episode limit I imposed on the guide, and I figured that dropping those two episodes would be a good way to get a Spike-focused episode somewhere. Of course, we could go up on the episode limit, but I think I'll save that option until I go through season 5 as though we stuck to 63 episodes total, and then see if there are any obvious gaps.

Ah, I'm with you now. Seems like a good enough reason to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Problem with Spike Centric episodes is there really aren't a lot of good ones. Spike's story with Rarity is really as good as it gets for him. There's really no good episode just about Spike.

"Secret of My Excess" and then "Inspiration Manifestation" are probably the two best ones as far as Spike's story goes.

Since my edit to the most recent episode list post may have been missed by some people, I am leaving the option open of dropping "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" and adding a Spike episode from any season instead of "Just for Sidekicks". After thinking about it, using "Secret of My Excess" would probably be a better choice, and I'm still holding out hope that it will be relevant to another episode at some point.

Speaking of which, another benefit to sticking to 63 episodes is future-proofing for a post-season 6 version. There will almost certainly be good or important season 6 episodes that rely on an episode we haven't included in the list, and it'd be better to use the wiggle-room for that.

UberTag

Secret of my Excess is my favorite of the Spike episodes. I'm actually surprised I didn't vote for it during my S2 nominations now that I look back on them.

As for the One Bad Apple vs. Wonderbolts Academy debate... I'm not a fan of the former. I did enjoy the Lightning Dust saga in the latter but I honestly can't argue that episode should be considered essential.

I'm ambivalent on Just for Sidekicks although it is a showcase ep for the true breakout star of Friendship is Magic... Angel Bunny.

Counting up season 5 votes again, since there have been updates since my last post about it.

3. "Castle Sweet Castle" - 2
4. "Bloom & Gloom" - 5
5. "Tanks for the Memories" - 4
6. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" - 1
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord" - 5
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" - 6
9. "Slice of Life" - 6
10. "Princess Spike" - 0
11. "Party Pooped" - 4
12. "Amending Fences" - 7
13. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" - 4
14. "Canterlot Boutique" - 7
15. "Scare Master" - 3
16. "Rarity Investigates!" - 6
17. "Made in Manehattan" - 4
18. "Brotherhooves Social" - 0
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" -5
21. "Hearthbreakers" - 3
22. "What About Discord?" - 0
23. "The Hooffields and McColts" - 4
24. "The Mane Attraction" - 4

7 votes
12. "Amending Fences"
14. "Canterlot Boutique"

6 votes
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone"
9. "Slice of Life"
16. "Rarity Investigates!"

5 votes
4. "Bloom & Gloom"
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord"
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows"

4 votes
5. "Tanks for the Memories"
11. "Party Pooped"
13. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?"
17. "Made in Manehattan"
23. "The Hooffields and McColts"
24. "The Mane Attraction"

3 votes
15. "Scare Master" - 3
21. "Hearthbreakers" - 3

2 votes or less
3. "Castle Sweet Castle" - 2
6. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" - 1
10. "Princess Spike" - 0
18. "Brotherhooves Social" - 0
22. "What About Discord?" - 0

So a list with episodes with 5 votes or more.

1. "The Cutie Map - Part 1"
2. "The Cutie Map - Part 2"
3. "Castle Sweet Castle"
4. "Bloom & Gloom"
5. "Tanks for the Memories"
6. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted"
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord"
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone"
9. "Slice of Life"
10. "Princess Spike"
11. "Party Pooped"
12. "Amending Fences"
13. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?"
14. "Canterlot Boutique"
15. "Scare Master"
16. "Rarity Investigates!"
17. "Made in Manehattan"
18. "Brotherhooves Social"
19. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark"
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows"
21. "Hearthbreakers"
22. "What About Discord?"
23. "The Hooffields and McColts"
24. "The Mane Attraction"
25. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1"
26. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2"

That's 13 episodes.

Applejack:

Fluttershy:
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord" - Discord, Fluttershy

Pinkie Pie:
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" - Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" - Pinkie Pie, Cadance, Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow Dash:
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" - Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie
16. "Rarity Investigates!" - Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts

Rarity:
14. "Canterlot Boutique" - Rarity
16. "Rarity Investigates!" - Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts

Twilight Sparkle:
12. "Amending Fences" - Twilight Sparkle, Spike
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" - Pinkie Pie, Cadance, Twilight Sparkle
25. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1"
26. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2"

Cutie Mark Crusaders:
4. "Bloom & Gloom" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Luna
19. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark"

Spike:
12. "Amending Fences" - Twilight Sparkle, Spike

An obvious solution to get an Applejack episode would be to use "The Mane Attraction", but I believe it would better serve the list to include "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers" and drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows". This will take some explaining.

For "Party Pooped", it's an episode where (1) Twilight actually has to do princessy stuff, which I feel is important to include after "Twilight's Kingdom", and there are no other non-finale episodes with that on this list, (2) she needs the help of her friends in that role, and (3) it shows Pinkie Pie having to be responsible.

For "Hearthbreakers", this largely has to do with "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows". I was surprised to see that it got so many votes, since the reaction to it here wasn't that great when it aired, but it appears that a lot of people consider the reveal of Cadance's pregnancy to be significant enough to include it on this list. The logic is that this is expected to be important to a season 6 episode, but my belief is that (1) if Cadance's pregnancy is relevant to a story, it will just take someone in the episode saying that she's pregnant for the viewer to be all caught up, and (2) as popular characters, Marble and Limestone are likely to return in season 6, and we already know that at least Maud is returning. Coco returned in season 5 when her popularity was a surprise, and in this case, they probably already figured that Marble and Limestone would be popular. Plus, "Hearthbreakers" seems to have been better received than "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows", and it's partially an Applejack episode.

As for why to drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows", in addition to what I mentioned above, I feel like the other episodes in the above list have stronger reasons to be included. "Rarity Investigates" is the first episode to have Rainbow Dash actually perform with the Wonderbolts; and "Bloom & Gloom" ends the "Luna in CMC dreams" arc and settles the CMC's cutie mark related fears to lead up to "Crusaders of the Lost Mark".

So my suggestion is to drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" and add "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers". I realize that this is basically changing the voted-upon list to be more like my own votes, so I'll leave it up to you guys. Follow my suggestion, or just add an Applejack episode ("The Mane Attraction" with 4 votes, "Made in Manehattan" with 4 votes, or "Hearthbreakers" with 3 votes).

I'll leave this and the previous episode list votes open until Friday, whereupon I'll post the final lists. As a reminder, they are:

Season 2: Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down" or "It's About Time"? Or other?
Season 3: Drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" to get a Spike episode from any season? What Spike episode? "Secret of My Excess"?
Season 4: Add "Filli Vanilli" or "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"?
Season 5: Drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" to get "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers"? Or instead just add "The Mane Attraction", "Made in Manehattan", or "Hearthbreakers"?

Top Bottom