• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

PaulloDEC

Season 2: Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down" or "It's About Time"? Or other?

I prefer "Putting Your Hoof Down" as a story, but I'd be fine with either of these cuts.

Season 3: Drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" to get a Spike episode from any season? What Spike episode? "Secret of My Excess"?

"Secret of My Excess" seems like the best candidate for this one.

Season 4: Add "Filli Vanilli" or "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"?

"Filli Vanilli" is the better story IMO, I'd hang on to that one.

Season 5: Drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" to get "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers"? Or instead just add "The Mane Attraction", "Made in Manehattan", or "Hearthbreakers"?

I loved "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows", but I'd be fine with dropping it and picking up "Hearthbreakers" and "Party Pooped" instead. I really liked all three of those episodes.

There's an argument that Cadance being pregnant is big news, but I think we can do without it. As you say, they can catch viewers up on that in Season 6 in a single line of dialogue if they so choose.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Season 2: Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down" or "It's About Time"? Or other?
Season 3: Drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" to get a Spike episode from any season? What Spike episode? "Secret of My Excess"?
Season 4: Add "Filli Vanilli" or "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"?
Season 5: Drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" to get "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers"? Or instead just add "The Mane Attraction", "Made in Manehattan", or "Hearthbreakers"?

Season 2: Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down". I might have argued against it being essential, but I still really, like "It's About Time".

Season 3: Secret of My Excess is a good one to add.

Season 4: I'd add "Inspiration Manifestation". It goes well with Secret of My Excess as a Spike arc.

Season 5: Drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" and "Party Pooped". Add/keep "Hearthbreakers" and "The Mane Attraction"

Jay RaR

• Season 2: Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down" or "It's About Time"? Or other?
  • Season 3: Drop both "One Bad Apple" and "Wonderbolts Academy" to get a Spike episode from any season? What Spike episode? "Secret of My Excess"?
  • Season 4: Add "Filli Vanilli" or "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"?
  • Season 5: Drop "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" to get "Party Pooped" and "Hearthbreakers"? Or instead just add "The Mane Attraction", "Made in Manehattan", or "Hearthbreakers"?

• I slightly prefer to keep "Putting Your Hoof Down" since Iron Will made the episode for me.
  • This is a tough one. I rather like those 2 episodes so instead I suggest to cut 3 episodes from Season 4 that had 3 votes (Flight to the Finish, Twilight Time, Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3). As for the Spike episode I'll let you guys decide as I cannot think of a Spike I episode I liked.
  • I enjoyed Filli Vanilli than the other one so...
  • This is an odd one. I'd be ok with adding the other 3 even if Party Pooped isn't included.

Season 4: I'd add "Inspiration Manifestation". It goes well with Secret of My Excess as a Spike arc.
That would leave Fluttershy with no focus episodes in season 4, though.

• This is a tough one. I rather like those 2 episodes so instead I suggest to cut 3 episodes from Season 4 that had 3 votes (Flight to the Finish, Twilight Time, Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3). As for the Spike episode I'll let you guys decide as I cannot think of a Spike I episode I liked.
  • This is an odd one. I'd be ok with adding the other 3 even if Party Pooped isn't included.
For the first, that would leave no non-bookend Twilight episodes or Rainbow Dash episodes in season 4.
For the second, only one of those three episodes would be added, not all three.

In general, I already feel like my proposal to cut episodes from season 3 to get a Spike episode from anywhere in the series is complicating matters greatly, so I'd prefer not to do too much of that sort of thing.

On another note, this is weirding me out.
bearded_apple_by_alasou-d9nl7p5.png

UberTag

PRO: Hearthbreakers, The Mane Attraction, Party Pooped

CON: The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, Both Fluttershy Season 4 Episodes (she has plenty throughout the series; would rather have both Putting Your Hoof Down and Secret of My Excess than either of these), Made in Manehattan (don't see the point in adding this one just 'cause of Coco; might as well have all 3 Cutie Map episodes then)

Jay RaR

For the first, that would leave no non-bookend Twilight episodes or Rainbow Dash episodes in season 4.
For the second, only one of those three episodes would be added, not all three.

...not sure where you're going with your first point. In Season 3 for example we have no Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Applejack focused episodes unless Season 3 doesn't count?

With your second point after reading it clearly, that's my mistake. If I had to choose 2 they'd be Party Pooped and the Mane Attraction. Replacing Party Pooped with The One Where Pinkie Knows is fine too.

...not sure where you're going with your first point. In Season 3 for example we have no Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Applejack focused episodes unless Season 3 doesn't count?

Part of what I'm going for is some representation for every major character in every season, but I also said in the season 1 post that I wouldn't do this for seasons 1 and 3. Season 1 because getting the big series-defining episodes was more important, though everyone besides Applejack and Spike got episodes anyway. Season 3 because you simply can't, even if you included the whole season, due to the lack of a Rarity episode.

PaulloDEC

Art break:

OK, continue.

EDIT: Actually, one more thing. I'm starting to draft some design ideas for the episode guide we're all talking about, and I'm wondering if folks can share examples of similar projects that they like. I need to get a feel for how big we should go, how much text to include, how to use images, etc. One I've been looking at is for The Clone Wars, and I know there's a Steven Universe one I saw once but can't find anymore.

EDIT: Actually, one more thing. I'm starting to draft some design ideas for the episode guide we're all talking about, and I'm wondering if folks can share examples of similar projects that they like. I need to get a feel for how big we should go, how much text to include, how to use images, etc. One I've been looking at is for The Clone Wars, and I know there's a Steven Universe one I saw once but can't find anymore.

I was thinking:
* Each season is its own image, so we don't have to worry about all the seasons together producing too big of an image.
* The background is Celestia's realm from "Magical Mystery Cure".
* Otherwise similar to that example I posted a few weeks ago, minus the arc indicator stuff. Recommended episodes highlighted and have descriptions, necessary episodes (maybe I should call them "important" episodes to reflect that it's still just a recommendation) are boxed and have an image, all episodes have character tags except for important episodes. Though since each season will be separate, the images can safely be made bigger, and I'm thinking that the empty space between important episodes can have images from some recommended episodes. TV Tropes has a page for every episode, and they all have images, so the episode images can be taken from there.
* At the top of the season 1 guide (or as a separate image at the top of the album), I describe how to use the guide.

I was going to make another episode guide example later this week.

Also, Pony Playing the Fiddle Realistically.

PaulloDEC

Okay, here's a draft for S5. Obviously lots of placeholder text, and the episodes may not be correct. The whole thing is totally WIP.

I'm a little concerned about how I can get images in there. I can definitely squeeze a little thumbnail into the gold-bordered boxes as in your example, but they're so small as to be almost impossible to parse. I've toyed with an option that includes watermarked screenshots filling the entire boxes, which I think could be cool.

My number one priority at the moment is readability, so I'm trying not to cramp the text too much. Open to any and all feedback.

Okay, here's a draft for S5. Obviously lots of placeholder text, and the episodes may not be correct. The whole thing is totally WIP.

I'm a little concerned about how I can get images in there. I can definitely squeeze a little thumbnail into the gold-bordered boxes as in your example, but they're so small as to be almost impossible to parse. I've toyed with an option that includes watermarked screenshots filling the entire boxes, which I think could be cool.

My number one priority at the moment is readability, so I'm trying not to cramp the text too much. Open to any and all feedback.

Well, if you include more room to the right of the text and increase the gaps between episodes, then there should be enough room for a decently sized image.

PaulloDEC

Well, if you include more room to the right of the text and increase the gaps between episodes, then there should be enough room for a decently sized image.

I was worried it might have already gotten a bit long (as in, vertical dimensions), but if you think that's fine I'll take a shot at your suggestion.

EDIT: How about this?

The pictures are slightly cropped vertically, allowing a bit more width without making them into vertical space-hogs.

^ Those look pretty good.

Friendship is Musical 17-18

Also, decided to do an early count of episode guide change votes to check something. I had to do a bit of interpretation for some of you guys.

Season 2:
PaulloDEC - Either
DrForester - Cut "Putting Your Hoof Down"
Jay RaR - Cut "It's About Time"
UberTag - Keep both

Season 3:
PaulloDEC - "Secret of My Excess"
DrForester - "Secret of My Excess"
Jay RaR - Keep season 3 episodes, cut season 4 episodes instead
UberTag - "Secret of My Excess"

Season 4:
PaulloDEC - "Filli Vanilli"
DrForester - "Filli Vanilli"
Jay RaR - "Filli Vanilli"
UberTag - No Fluttershy episodes

Season 5:
PaulloDEC - "Hearthbreakers" and "Party Pooped"
DrForester - "Hearthbreakers" and "The Mane Attraction"
Jay RaR - "Party Pooped" and "The Mane Attraction"
UberTag - "Hearthbreakers", "The Mane Attraction", and "Party Pooped"

Most of the questions are fine, I suppose, but the responses to the season 5 question made me realize I should probably open the field up a bit.

So the question is now, select exactly two of the following four episodes. One of them must be "Hearthbreakers" or "The Mane Attraction", so Applejack can have a focus episode in season 5.
"Hearthbreakers"
"The Mane Attraction"
"Party Pooped"
"The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows"

Out of these, the one I feel strongest about having on the list is "Party Pooped". I feel it's important to include a "normal" episode focused on Twilight's responsibilities as a princess after "Twilight's Kingdom"--to show that she has a part to play after all--and it also benefits from showing how the others play a big role in supporting her. The other season 5 episode mainly about that is "Princess Spike", and I know no one wants that on this list. Twilight being a princess plays a part in "Canterlot Boutique", but it doesn't involve her duties.

I feel less strongly about which Applejack episode to include, so either is fine with me, but I feel that Marble and Limestone are more likely to return than Coloratura.

PaulloDEC

I'm gonna go with Hearthbreakers and Party Pooped too.

The Mane Attraction has some lovely moments, but as a story I don't think it's as strong as some of the other options. I absolutely love The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, but I think Party Pooped might be a little stronger, and it benefits from having Twilight involved (as Sigma mentioned).

^ Those look pretty good.

Cool. I'll leave it at that until the final rankings are in.

I decided to do a draft of the season 1 descriptions, since those episodes are already settled. One thing I liked about the Clone Wars episode guide was how it sometimes included details about the stories not directly related to the plot, like how violent it was, so I decided to include some comments like that, but I'm unsure of if this is too much. The character tags are also something that I wish was included in the Clone Wars guide. I also felt the need to include a note about the moral of "Feeling Pinkie Keen", even though it's not a recommended episode, but I can understand wanting to leave that out.

Season 1
1. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 1"
2. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2"
Twilight Sparkle learns of the return of the evil Nightmare Moon, but her mentor, Princess Celestia, tells her to make friends in Ponyville instead of worrying. Twilight thinks this is a waste of time, but eventually realizes the ponies she meets are the key to stopping Nightmare Moon. This story has some "early installment weirdness" and does not reflect the rest of the series in some respects, but is still important to watch.
3. "The Ticket Master" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
4. "Applebuck Season" - Applejack, Mane Six
5. "Griffon the Brush Off" - Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Dash's visiting friend, Gilda the griffon, starts bullying Pinkie Pie and others behind Rainbow's back. Gilda's unique nature made her a popular (though not well-liked) character in the early fandom.
6. "Boast Busters" - Twilight Sparkle
A unicorn named Trixie comes to town boasting of her magic skills, but Twilight is unwilling to demonstrate her own. Trixie is one of the most popular one-off characters to come out of season 1.
7. "Dragonshy" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
A dragon is causing problems, so the heroes go to confront it--despite Fluttershy's fears. Often considered one of the best "first episodes" to show someone.
8. "Look Before You Sleep" - Applejack, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle
9. "Bridle Gossip"
Twilight is critical of the town's irrational fear of a zebra that lives in the Everfree Forest, until she and her friends all wake up with what appears to be a curse. Introduces Zecora.
10. "Swarm of the Century" - Mane Six
11. "Winter Wrap Up" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
Twilight is excited to join in on the festival to end winter, but has a hard time finding a place. This is the first episode to include a full-fledged musical number, and it took the fandom by storm.
12. "Call of the Cutie"
Apple Bloom, Applejack's younger sister, becomes conscious of the fact that she is one of the few ponies in her class who doesn't have a cutie mark (a symbol on her flank). She ends up joining up with two other fillies, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, to form the Cutie Mark Crusaders.
13. "Fall Weather Friends" - Applejack, Rainbow Dash
14. "Suited for Success" - Rarity, Mane Six
Rarity offers to make dresses for her friends, but they quickly start making unreasonable demands. Before this point, Rarity had few fans, but this episode marks a shift in focus that made her more popular, showcasing her artistic side.
15. "Feeling Pinkie Keen" - Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie
* The moral of this episode alarmed many people when it aired, due to being perceived as anti-science and pro-religion, but the show crew has clarified that it was not their intention.
16. "Sonic Rainboom" - Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Mane Six
Rainbow Dash enters an athletic competition judged by her idols, the Wonderbolts, but gets overwhelmed by the pressure. This is another popular "first episode".
17. "Stare Master" - Fluttershy, Cutie Mark Crusaders
18. "The Show Stoppers" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
19. "A Dog and Pony Show" - Rarity, Spike, Mane Six
20. "Green Isn't Your Color" - Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie
Rarity tries to impress a famous fashion photographer, Photo Finish, but becomes jealous when Fluttershy catches her eye instead.
21. "Over a Barrel" - Mane Six
22. "A Bird in the Hoof" - Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle
23. "The Cutie Mark Chronicles"
The Cutie Mark Crusaders learn about how the Mane Six all gained their cutie marks. Rainbow Dash's story in particular becomes important much later.
24. "Owl's Well That Ends Well" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle
25. "Party of One" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
When Pinkie believes that her friends are intentionally avoiding her, she goes a bit crazy.
26. "The Best Night Ever" - Mane Six
The girls are all excited about attending the Grand Galloping Gala, but the night doesn't go as expected. This episode references "The Ticket Master" and "Suited for Success", but they are not necessary to follow the story.

PaulloDEC

I decided to do a draft of the season 1 descriptions, since those episodes are already settled. One thing I liked about the Clone Wars episode guide was how it sometimes included details about the stories not directly related to the plot, like how violent it was, so I decided to include some comments like that, but I'm unsure of if this is too much. The character tags are also something that I wish was included in the Clone Wars guide. I also felt the need to include a note about the moral of "Feeling Pinkie Keen", even though it's not a recommended episode, but I can understand wanting to leave that out.

I figured the only way to know how much text was too much would be to go ahead and mock it up. So:

It's definitely text-heavy, but if we're going for a super-detailed approach we might as well go hard. I'd definitely suggest pruning back the description for E1 and E2 if possible though, I had to bulge out the size of the box for that one.

I'd suggest a note at the top along the lines of "Want the short version? Watch GOLD and PINK, skip WHITE. Easy!"

tomtom94

E1 and 2 can be very easily summarised: "Story dump: friendship good, nightmares bad."

In all seriousness, I'd just cut out from "Twilight thinks" to "Nightmare Moon", I think that bit is mostly covered by watching the episode anyway.

Was Rarity really not popular until Suited For Success? I loved her since her first appearance in Elements of Harmony. Also, typo on "Succes".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
episode guide:

watch all of them in order from the beginning you filthy animal

I want to vote for this option.

I really do think we're over thinking this episode guide. It's not Steven Universe, or something else with a strong, ongoing narrative. Twilight gets wings. Twilight gets a castle. That's really all there is to it.

I get heated when I see those episode guide infographs for other shows because in my mind watching all of something in order of release is core to the actual experience of watching it. Watching only what some people online deem "important" makes no sense if you want to consider yourself a fan of a series and watch more than just test episodes to see if you'll continue.

I also really hate people who use the term "Filler" in original, non-adapted works.

I hope that with anime storytelling influencing this generation of creators and continuity finally being embraced more and more by western cartoons, we'll get to the point where every show is intellectually stimulating enough to have the required viewing for understanding be then entirety of what has been shown before, and seemingly isolated stories can have ramifications and callbacks much later down the line without too much recapping, so as to reward the viewer who was there for those events and remembered them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thing is, mlp is mostly filler. That's not a bad thing, it's meant to be mostly watchable in any order. Our required list is basically just Twilight's story. Those episodes do not really give a solid breakdown or overview of the show or its characters.

Thing is, mlp is mostly filler.

No, it's mostly stories that are self contained and not referenced later.

There is no MLPFiM manga about Twilight Sparkle and friends defeating villains that has additional stories about her friends hanging out together added by the studio animating it.

Because the animation is the first medium of the story, everything in it is valid, and as you said the main reason you come to it is isolated character stories self contained in 22 minutes, not the plot.

Sciz

and seemingly isolated stories can have ramifications and callbacks much later down the line without too much recapping, so as to reward the viewer who was there for those events and remembered them.

FiM already leans much more heavily on its continuity than most episodic series do, particularly in the last couple seasons.

FiM already leans much more heavily on its continuity than most episodic series do, particularly in the last couple seasons.

That's one of the things I like so much about S5 and part of why I consider it an upward quality turn after 3 and 4!

But it's nowhere near Steven Universe or Gravity Falls levels in that aspect.

tomtom94

Was Rarity really not popular until Suited For Success? I loved her since her first appearance in Elements of Harmony. Also, typo on "Succes".
Can't speak for everyone, but I found Rarity didn't click for me until that episode either. I think it's probably the fact that it's the first Rarity episode and it's not until episode 14...

Indeed, I suppose the first episode description should be shortened. By the way, I think it's better to leave tags off of necessary/important episodes, mainly to avoid tagging Discord, Cadance, and Starlight in episodes before they become regular characters. Cadance so the viewer can actually think she's evil for a bit in "A Canterlot Wedding".

Rarity was a fairly unpopular character in the early fandom, and I didn't see opinions on her improve until "Suited for Success". She was viewed as the "mandatory girly character to sell dresses". I figured it was worth noting so that a viewer who doesn't like Rarity at first knows that there's a point where people like her more.

episode guide:

The fact of the matter is, the show has 117 episodes, and I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to be turned off by that, and I know that people are often uncomfortable with the idea of starting from the latest season. People follow episode guides for Star Trek: The Next Generation, which I'd say is about as episodic as MLP, and I don't begrudge them for that--well, except if they follow that popular episode guide that includes "Rascals" for some reason. In any case, I always planned on including a note that it's best to watch all episodes.

Of course, this is all just in theory, since I know that there won't actually be many people to give this guide to.

EDIT: Patton Oswalt explains My Little Pony to Conan. Basically, his six-year-old daughter is just as into MLP as he was into Star Wars, and she keeps trying to sit him down to watch episodes, explaining the plot while he half listens. He tries to explain the plot of the first episode while the audience laughs. No mention is made of adult fans, if you're worried.

Cheerilee

episode guide:

That's my view too, but...some people don't share my view and find things like episode guides useful, and Sigma's putting a lot of work into making sure that this one is of good quality, so I have no complaints.

I hope that with anime storytelling influencing this generation of creators and continuity finally being embraced more and more by western cartoons, we'll get to the point where every show is intellectually stimulating enough to have the required viewing for understanding be then entirety of what has been shown before, and seemingly isolated stories can have ramifications and callbacks much later down the line without too much recapping, so as to reward the viewer who was there for those events and remembered them.
I kind of think that people are too deeply in love with serial storytelling these days. It's nice that they've finally realized how fun it can be (can you believe there was a time when the continuing storyline of Babylon 5 was considered ratings poison and the show almost didn't get made because of it?), but people have forgotten the joys of episodic storytelling. They need to be told it has "secondary value" before they even consider it.

I think there's room for everything, from the tightly scripted narrative that fills every episode with meaningful character development, to the show that relaxes in downtime between major events, to the episodic show that produces a bunch of little self-contained stories that can be enjoyed at your leisure without the looming demand that you enjoy all-or-nothing.

PaulloDEC

Good catch, thanks.

episode guide:

This is my preferred method too, and I'd be tempted to put a note on the guide suggesting it. That being said, I understand that some people need a less intimidating "in" to a series, which is why guides can be good.

No, it's mostly stories that are self contained and not referenced later.

There is no MLPFiM manga about Twilight Sparkle and friends defeating villains that has additional stories about her friends hanging out together added by the studio animating it.

Because the animation is the first medium of the story, everything in it is valid, and as you said the main reason you come to it is isolated character stories self contained in 22 minutes, not the plot.

Yup, I'm against that use of the term "filler" for the same reason. I love overarching storylines as much as anyone, but when you brand anything that doesn't adhere to that as "filler" you're devaluing great stories for no good reason. It's especially silly with a show like MLP where small, slice-of-life stories are the lifeblood of the program.

Indeed, I suppose the first episode description should be shortened. By the way, I think it's better to leave tags off of necessary/important episodes, mainly to avoid tagging Discord, Cadance, and Starlight in episodes before they become regular characters. Cadance so the viewer can actually think she's evil for a bit in "A Canterlot Wedding".

Cool, noted.

The fact of the matter is, the show has 117 episodes, and I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to be turned off by that, and I know that people are often uncomfortable with the idea of starting from the latest season. People follow episode guides for Star Trek: The Next Generation, which I'd say is about as episodic as MLP, and I don't begrudge them for that--well, except if they follow that popular episode guide that includes "Rascals" for some reason. In any case, I always planned on including a note that it's best to watch all episodes.

Of course, this is all just in theory, since I know that there won't actually be many people to give this guide to.

If nothing else, this will have been a fun little project.

That's my view too, but...some people don't share my view and find things like episode guides useful, and Sigma's putting a lot of work into making sure that this one is of good quality, so I have no complaints.

I kind of think that people are too deeply in love with serial storytelling these days. It's nice that they've finally realized how fun it can be (can you believe there was a time when the continuing storyline of Babylon 5 was considered ratings poison and the show almost didn't get made because of it?), but people have forgotten the joys of episodic storytelling. They need to be told it has "secondary value" before they even consider it.

I think there's room for everything, from the tightly scripted narrative that fills every episode with meaningful character development, to the show that relaxes in downtime between major events, to the episodic show that produces a bunch of little self-contained stories that can be enjoyed at your leisure without the looming demand that you enjoy all-or-nothing.

Agree with all of this, well said.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I'd say that the big difference is that most TNG episode guides give a good overview of the series. Our episode guide, that focuses almost entirely on Twilight with pretty much nothing for the other 5, gives a very poor overview of the series.

PaulloDEC

I'd say that the big difference is that most TNG episode guides give a good overview of the series. Our episode guide, that focuses almost entirely on Twilight with pretty much nothing for the other 5, gives a very poor overview of the series.

Uh, hasn't Sigma been going to great lengths over the last couple of pages to ensure that each of the Mane 6 gets represented?

PaulloDEC

I'm talking the required episodes, since were differentiating between the two.

Well yeah, the required episodes do tend to focus on Twilight, but only because Friendship is Magic's overarching story is about Twilight. She gets that focus in the guide because she gets that focus in the show.

Since you've mentioned before that you're against having two tiers of episodes in the first place, the way I imagine the guide being used is that the user may watch a couple of the recommended episodes but then decide they don't like the CMC as a group and proceed to skip all recommended episodes with them as a group, but they are fine with episodes involving Apple Bloom as just part of the Apple Family and watch those. Despite that, "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" is worth highlighting for them, since it results in a permanent change to the series, including to "Hearthbreakers", an episode that person would be willing to watch.

The fact of the matter is that TNG is better at spreading out series-changing plots among its major characters, while MLP focuses them on Twilight. If I want to highlight episodes that involve major plot developments so a reader won't decide to skip them, and keep those highlights to a minimum, then I can't help if they're mostly Twilight episodes.

==

ED theorizes about season 6's start date. There's a lot of talk of fiscal years and such, but it basically comes down to Littlest Pet Shop ending in April and no other new episodes of Hasbro shows being set to air on Discovery Family after that yet, so MLP is likely to start again around that point. I do think the fact that a preview image was released already points to it being sooner rather than later. If it does start then, then I'm expecting another split season. At least it would be expected this time.

OK, final lists, and description drafts for seasons 1 and 2 (others coming later)! In the case of ties in votes, I was the tie-breaker, so all of my suggestions went through. Note that I modified multiple season 1 descriptions. Since I mentioned when people started liking Rarity, I realized I should do the same for the CMC, since people hated them for much of season 1. Oddly enough, I recall that the episode that swayed opinion was "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", but the reason was that it was a CMC episode that was actually more about the main characters. It's a bit odd of an explanation, and it's unrelated to why people consistently started liking them later, so I instead went for adding a vague explanation to "Call of the Cutie".

EDIT: Using this post to host the latest updated versions.

Season 1
1. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 1"
2. "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2"
Twilight Sparkle learns of the return of the evil Nightmare Moon, but her mentor, Princess Celestia, tells her to make friends in Ponyville instead of worrying. This story has some "early installment weirdness" and does not reflect the rest of the series in some respects, but is still important to watch.
* This starts a plotline continued by episodes 14 and 26.
4. "Applebuck Season" - Applejack, Mane Six
5. "Griffon the Brush Off" - Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Dash's visiting friend, Gilda the griffon, starts bullying Pinkie Pie and others behind Rainbow's back. Gilda's unique nature made her a popular (though not well-liked) character in the early fandom.
6. "Boast Busters" - Twilight Sparkle
The Great and Powerful Trixie comes to town boasting of her magic skills, but Twilight is unwilling to demonstrate her own. Trixie is one of the most popular one-off characters to come out of season 1.
7. "Dragonshy" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
A dragon is causing problems, so the heroes go to confront it, despite Fluttershy's fear. Often considered one of the best "first episodes" to show someone.
8. "Look Before You Sleep" - Applejack, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle
9. "Bridle Gossip"
Twilight is critical of the town's irrational fear of a zebra that lives in the Everfree Forest, until she and her friends all wake up with what appear to be curses. Introduces Zecora and includes the most popular comedy scene of the early fandom.
10. "Swarm of the Century" - Mane Six
11. "Winter Wrap Up" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
Twilight is excited to join in on the festival to end winter, but has a hard time finding a place. This is the first episode to include a full-fledged musical number, and it took the fandom by storm.
12. "Call of the Cutie"
Apple Bloom, Applejack's sister, realizes that she is one of the few ponies in her class who doesn't have a cutie mark (a symbol on her flank), so she joins two other fillies, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, to form the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Unpopular at first, they grew on fans by the end of the season.
13. "Fall Weather Friends" - Applejack, Rainbow Dash
14. "Suited for Success" - Rarity, Mane Six
Rarity offers to make dresses for her friends, but they quickly start making unreasonable demands. Before this point, Rarity had few fans, but this episode marks a shift in focus that made her more popular, showcasing her artistic side.
* Introduces Pinkie's ability to predict the near future, Pinkie Sense. The moral of this episode alarmed many people when it aired, due to being perceived as anti-science and pro-religion, but the show crew has clarified that it was not their intention.
16. "Sonic Rainboom" - Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Mane Six
Rainbow Dash enters an athletic competition judged by her idols, the Wonderbolts, but gets overwhelmed by the pressure. This is another popular "first episode".
* Introduces Fluttershy's hypnotic Stare.
18. "The Show Stoppers" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
19. "A Dog and Pony Show" - Rarity, Spike, Mane Six
20. "Green Isn't Your Color" - Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie
Rarity tries to impress a famous fashion photographer, Photo Finish, but becomes jealous when Fluttershy catches her eye instead.
21. "Over a Barrel" - Mane Six
22. "A Bird in the Hoof" - Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle
23. "The Cutie Mark Chronicles"
The Cutie Mark Crusaders learn about how the Mane Six all gained their cutie marks. Rainbow Dash's story in particular becomes important much later.
* Introduces Twilight's pet owl, Owlowicious.
25. "Party of One" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
When Pinkie believes that her friends are intentionally avoiding her, she goes a bit crazy.
The girls are all excited about attending the Grand Galloping Gala, but the night doesn't go as expected. This episode references "The Ticket Master" and "Suited for Success", but they are not necessary to follow the story. Introduces Spitfire and Soarin' of the Wonderbolts.

Season 2
1. "The Return of Harmony - Part 1"
2. "The Return of Harmony - Part 2"
The heroes must face an ancient spirit of chaos, Discord, played by John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation), who aims to sever their connections with the Elements of Harmony.
3. "Lesson Zero" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
In this very meta story, Twilight realizes that she hasn't learned a friendship lesson in almost a week, and goes a bit crazy looking for one before time runs out. This story modifies how the end-of-episode moral is handled.
4. "Luna Eclipsed"
Princess Luna visits Ponyville on a Halloween-style holiday celebrating Nightmare Moon's original defeat. Properly introduces Luna, in her "fully powered" form. It still takes another season for Luna to do anything after this, by the way.
5. "Sisterhooves Social" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Applejack
Sweetie Belle wants to attend the Sisterhooves Social with her sister, Rarity, but after a fight between them, Sweetie decides that Applejack makes for a better sister.
6. "The Cutie Pox" - Apple Bloom, Zecora
7. "May the Best Pet Win!" - Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy
* Introduces Rainbow Dash's pet tortoise, Tank.
8. "The Mysterious Mare Do Well" - Rainbow Dash, Mane Six
9. "Sweet and Elite" - Rarity
During a visit to Canterlot, Rarity becomes popular among the upper crust and puts off returning to Ponyville. Notably demonstrates that Rarity can carry an episode without the rest of the main cast.
10. "Secret of My Excess" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity
After his birthday, Spike's desire for more presents causes his dragon instincts to go out of control.
11. "Family Appreciation Day" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family
* Reveals how Ponyville was founded.
12. "Baby Cakes" - Pinkie Pie
* Pinkie's landlords, the Cakes, have twins.
13. "Hearth's Warming Eve" - Mane Six
* Reveals how Equestria was founded.
14. "The Last Roundup" - Applejack, Mane Six
* Gives background character Derpy her first prominent appearance--and last one for a while.
15. "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" - Apple Family
When the Apple Family starts selling their hoof-made apple cider, brothers Flim and Flam arrive with a cider-making machine, leading to a Music Man style song and a contest of horse vs. machine.
16. "Read It and Weep" - Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Dash becomes addicted to a Daring Do book while she is stuck in the hospital, and doesn't want anyone to know. Contains a story within the story inspired by Indiana Jones.
17. "Hearts and Hooves Day" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
After learning that their teacher, Cheerilee, doesn't have a boyfriend, the Cutie Mark Crusaders take it upon themselves to find the perfect stallion, even if it takes a love potion.
18. "A Friend in Deed" - Pinkie Pie
Following one of the catchiest songs of the show, Pinkie Pie meets Cranky Doodle Donkey and is shocked that he doesn't want to be her friend. Note that some people dislike how Pinkie acts in this episode.
19. "Putting Your Hoof Down" - Fluttershy
20. "It's About Time" - Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Spike
Twilight is visited by her future self, who disappears before she can complete her warning. Thus, Twilight goes a bit crazy. The main story is stand-alone, but some details introduced are relevant to the season 4 and 5 finales.
21. "Dragon Quest" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle
22. "Hurricane Fluttershy" - Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash
All of the Ponyville pegasi have to work together for a task, but Fluttershy feels she'll just hold them back. Features an 80's training montage, and demonstrates a softening of Rainbow Dash's character.
23. "Ponyville Confidential" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
24. "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" - Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle
25. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1"
26. "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 2"
Twilight's brother (just introduced), Shining Armor, is getting married to Princess Cadance (just introduced), but Twilight finds the situation suspicious. The early fandom was dreading this episode, but it turned out to be a sensation. Contains the first Disney-style villain song of the series.

Season 3
1. "The Crystal Empire - Part 1"
2. "The Crystal Empire - Part 2"
When the Crystal Empire returns after 1000 years, Twilight is tasked with protecting it from King Sombra with her friends, but to move on to her next level of study, she's told to stop him herself.
3. "Too Many Pinkie Pies" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
4. "One Bad Apple" - Cutie Mark Crusaders
* Introduces Apple Bloom's cousin, Babs Seed.
5. "Magic Duel" - Twilight Sparkle, Zecora
Trixie (season 1's "Boast Busters") returns with a magical amulet, challenging Twilight to a Sword in the Stone style magic duel.
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville" - Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, Luna
Scootaloo is scared by Rainbow Dash's ghost story during a camping trip, but hides her fear to impress her, only to start getting nightmares. This episode marks a major shift in the relationship of those two characters, and gives Luna something to do.
7. "Wonderbolts Academy" - Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
8. "Just for Sidekicks" - Spike
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Games Ponies Play".
9. "Apple Family Reunion" - Applejack, Apple Family
10. "Spike at Your Service" - Spike, Applejack
11. "Keep Calm and Flutter On
Fluttershy is tasked with reforming Discord--something that not even her friends believe she can do. The ending is rushed, but it is revisited in season 4.
12. "Games Ponies Play" - Mane Six, Cadance
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Just for Sidekicks", and starts a plotline continued by season 4 episodes 5, 10, and 24.
13. "Magical Mystery Cure"
Twilight discovers that her friends' cutie marks--and destinies--have been switched. This full-musical episode rushes through plot developments clearly intended for a series finale (which it was for a time), but contains some of the best songs of the series. The ending is explored more in season 4.

Movie - Equestria Girls
After the events of "Magical Mystery Cure", Twilight's Element of Magic is stolen. She follows the thief through a portal leading to another dimension, where she turns into a human and all of her friends are humans attending high school. Many dislike the premise of a high school alternate universe, but many also find these movies enjoyable. The Equestria Girls movies reference the events of the series, but the series doesn't acknowledge the movies, so they are completely optional.

Season 4
1. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1"
2. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2"
When the Everfree Forest goes out of control, the Mane Six once again journey into it, but things aren't the same now that Twilight is a princess, as Discord enjoys rubbing in. Even if you're just watching these boxed episodes, make sure to watch at least one of episodes 8, 10, 11, 16, and 21 of this season before watching the season finale.
3. "Castle Mane-ia" - Mane Six
The girls all separately find themselves at the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters, unknowingly scaring each other. This story modifies how the end-of-episode moral is handled.
4. "Daring Don't" - Rainbow Dash, Mane Six
* Reveals that Daring Do (season 2's "Read It and Weep") is real.
5. "Flight to the Finish" - Scootaloo, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rainbow Dash
Scootaloo becomes ashamed of the fact that she can't fly at her age. This episode continues a plotline started by season 3's "Games Ponies Play", and continued by "Rainbow Falls" and Equestria Games", but they aren't necessary to follow this story.
6. "Power Ponies" - Spike, Mane Six
7. "Bats!" - Fluttershy, Applejack, Mane Six
* Fluttershy turns into a vampire for a bit here, which sometimes comes up later.
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan" - Rarity, Mane Six
Rarity helps one of her rivals in a fashion competition, only for her to turn around and plagiarize her designs, making Rarity question her generosity. To everyone's surprise, minor character Coco Pommel was popular with fans.
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family
Pinkie discovers ambivalent evidence that she's distantly related to the Apple Family, and to find concrete proof, they go on a road trip to talk to the Apple Family's historian. Hijinks ensue.
10. "Rainbow Falls" - Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
* Gives a prominent role to background character Bulk Biceps, and marks the return of Derpy after a long absence.
11. "Pinkie Pride" - Pinkie Pie
In this full-musical episode, a new "super duper party pony" arrives: Cheese Sandwich, played by comedy singer Weird Al. When he sweeps the town off its feet, Pinkie questions if she's really meant to plan parties.
12. "Three's A Crowd" - Twilight Sparkle, Discord, Cadance
13. "Simple Ways" - Rarity, Applejack
14. "Filli Vanilli" - Fluttershy, Rarity
When a member of Rarity's a cappella group, the Pony Tones, loses his voice, Fluttershy steps up to replace him--provided that she can hide behind the curtain and dub over him while he lip-synches.
15. "Twilight Time" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight Sparkle
The Cutie Mark Crusaders realize that Twilight is a lot more popular now that she's a princess, and take advantage of their friendship to become cool with the other kids.
16. "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
17. "Somepony to Watch Over Me" - Apple Bloom, Applejack
18. "Trade Ya!" - Mane Six
19. "Maud Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
Pinkie is excited to introduce one of her sisters, Maud, to her friends, but they have a hard time getting along with her. Maud was an instant hit with the fans. She isn't one of the sisters seen in season 1's "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", but they do appear later.
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Luna
After a fight between them, Sweetie Belle sabotages a dress that Rarity made for an important client, and she starts having nightmares.
21. "Leap of Faith" - Applejack, Apple Family
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" - Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
Only one thing stands in the way of Rainbow Dash's goal of joining the Wonderbolts Reserves: the written exam. She is forced to turn to Twilight for help with studying.
23. "Inspiration Manifestation" - Spike, Rarity
24. "Equestria Games" - Spike
25. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1"
26. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2"
Twilight feels that she hasn't lived up to her title as princess. Meanwhile, Discord is sent to track down the evil Tirek, an update to the villain of the original 80's My Little Pony TV special. This will decide the fates of both Twilight and Discord, and solve the mystery of the locked chest. Features a great song sung by all four princesses.

Movie - Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks
After the events of "Twilight's Kingdom", three sirens from Equestria enter Canterlot High's Battle of the Bands, and while the "Humane Five" are able to bring in pony Twilight for help, it may be up to the reformed Sunset Shimmer to save the day. This movie is filled with songs, and many enjoyed seeing Sunset redeem herself. Again, these movies are completely optional.

Season 5
1. "The Cutie Map - Part 1"
2. "The Cutie Map - Part 2"
A mysterious map in Twilight's castle activates, leading the heroes to a strange town where everyone has the same cutie mark: an equal sign. This is the first two-parter to not focus on Twilight significantly more than the other main characters. The map sends the heroes on missions periodically throughout this season.
3. "Castle Sweet Castle" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six, Spike
4. "Bloom & Gloom" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Luna
After Apple Bloom learns that her cousin, Babs (season 3's "One Bad Apple"), has gotten her cutie mark, she once again becomes anxious about getting her own. One day, she finally wakes up with a cutie mark, but it's one she doesn't want.
5. "Tanks for the Memories" - Rainbow Dash
* Five seasons in, this contains Rainbow Dash's first solo song of the show.
6. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applejack
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord" - Discord, Fluttershy
The Grand Galloping Gala (season 1's "The Best Night Ever") has arrived again, and Discord is aghast when Fluttershy invites someone else as her plus-one. To show that he's not jealous, he invites the Smooze, an update to the villain of the 80's My Little Pony theatrical movie.
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" - Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie
The map sends Rainbow and Pinkie to the griffon city of Griffonstone, where they encounter Gilda (season 1's "Griffon the Brush-Off").
9. "Slice of Life" - Background Characters
While the heroes fend off a monster, the town prepares for the wedding of Cranky and Matilda (season 2's "A Friend in Deed"). This is the 100th episode, and it chooses to celebrate the various background and side characters that have appeared throughout the show. Even if you haven't paid too much attention to them, the episode is still an enjoyable watch.
10. "Princess Spike" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle, Cadance
11. "Party Pooped" - Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
When a diplomatic meeting with Prince Rutherford, leader of the yaks, goes bad, everyone expects Pinkie to improve his mood, and she becomes overwhelmed by the pressure.
12. "Amending Fences" - Twilight Sparkle, Spike
Twilight decides to meet up with her old classmates from Magic School after realizing how bad a friend she used to be to them. After "Slice of Life", this was an unexpected second showcase of background characters, and many like it even more.
13. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" - Luna, Mane Six
14. "Canterlot Boutique" - Rarity
Rarity fulfills her dream of opening a shop in Canterlot (from the first episode), but finding success there may require giving up what she enjoys about dressmaking. The Canterlot shop becomes a recurring location.
15. "Scare Master" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
16. "Rarity Investigates!" - Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
Rainbow Dash is finally flying with the Wonderbolts, but it proves short-lived when she is accused of a crime against them. It's up to Rarity to prove her innocence, as a film noir detective. The mystery is very simple, but Rarity's narration makes it great.
17. "Made in Manehattan" - Rarity, Applejack
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Brotherhooves Social".
18. "Brotherhooves Social" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Made in Manehattan".
19. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark"
The Cutie Mark Crusaders help one of their classmates compete in a class president election against Diamond Tiara, who has tormented them since season 1's "Call of the Cutie", but end up discovering another side to her. This is a full-musical episode, and is a must-watch even if you aren't a fan of Cutie Mark Crusader episodes.
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" - Pinkie Pie, Cadance, Twilight Sparkle
* Reveals that Cadance is pregnant.
21. "Hearthbreakers" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family
The Apples visit the Pies to celebrate Hearth's Warming (a Christmas-style holiday), but they are confused by their holiday traditions. Properly introduces the rest of Pinkie's family, and Pinkie's other sisters, Limestone and Marble, were instant hits with the fans. Note that even though they refer to each other as cousins, the Apples and Pies are distantly related at best.
22. "What About Discord?" - Twilight Sparkle, Discord, Mane Six
23. "The Hooffields and McColts" - Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy
24. "The Mane Attraction" - Applejack
* Guest stars Tony award winner Lena Hall, who sings in this episode.
25. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1"
26. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2"
Starlight Glimmer, from the season premiere, attempts to demonstrate to Twilight that her friendships aren't important by using the power of the map to rewrite the past, so that the Mane Six never met. Showcases various alternate realities, each with a different villain winning.

Movie - Equestria Girls: Friendship Games
The Twilight Sparkle native to the human world finally appears, as a student from a rival school who is curious about the strange events at Canterlot High. When the schools meet for an athletic competition, Twilight learns about friendship from the Humane Five and Sunset, even as her principal promotes hatred and the device she built to scan for magic starts absorbing large amounts of it.

PaulloDEC

So it looks like the focus of the MLP toy brand for 2016 has been revealed. Last year was "Cutie Mark Magic", and this year is:

WmFb.jpg

What bearing this'll have on the show, if any, is anyone's guess. Season 5 did have a particular focus on Cutie Marks with the Starlight Glimmer stories, so who knows?

Seemingly the official website has had a big update to go with it.

OK, final lists, and description drafts for seasons 1 and 2 (others coming later)! In the case of ties in votes, I was the tie-breaker, so all of my suggestions went through. Note that I modified multiple season 1 descriptions. Since I mentioned when people started liking Rarity, I realized I should do the same for the CMC, since people hated them for much of season 1. Oddly enough, I recall that the episode that swayed opinion was "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", but the reason was that it was a CMC episode that was actually more about the main characters. It's a bit odd of an explanation, and it's unrelated to why people consistently started liking them later, so I instead went for adding a vague explanation to "Call of the Cutie".

Sounds good. I'll get to drafting up the new guide pages over the weekend.

So it looks like the focus of the MLP toy brand for 2016 has been revealed. Last year was "Cutie Mark Magic", and this year is:

WmFb.jpg

What bearing this'll have on the show, if any, is anyone's guess. Season 5 did have a particular focus on Cutie Marks with the Starlight Glimmer stories, so who knows?

Seemingly the official website has had a big update to go with it.
I remember they said that season 5 would be about exploring Equestria. Maybe season 6 will do that even more. I guess the Map gimmick won't be abandoned.

For Art Appreciation Month, comic #41 is getting a classic art inspired cover

Snazzle Frazzle
I don't know why Applejack has hoof marks all over her.
I'll just assume they're actually lip prints.

And I suppose I'll write season 3 descriptions. I realized that the Equestria Girls movies should be included on the guide too.

Season 3
1. "The Crystal Empire - Part 1"
2. "The Crystal Empire - Part 2"
When the Crystal Empire returns after 1000 years, Twilight is tasked with protecting it from King Sombra with her friends, but to move on to her next level of study, she's told to stop him herself.
3. "Too Many Pinkie Pies" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
5. "Magic Duel" - Twilight Sparkle, Zecora
Trixie (season 1's "Boast Busters") returns with a magical amulet, challenging Twilight to a Sword in the Stone style magic duel.
6. "Sleepless in Ponyville" - Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, Luna
Scootaloo is scared by Rainbow Dash's ghost story during a camping trip, but hides her fear to impress her, only to start getting nightmares. This episode marks a major shift in the relationship of those two characters, and gives Luna something to do.
7. "Wonderbolts Academy" - Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
8. "Just for Sidekicks" - Spike
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Games Ponies Play".
9. "Apple Family Reunion" - Applejack, Apple Family
10. "Spike at Your Service" - Spike, Applejack
11. "Keep Calm and Flutter On
Fluttershy is tasked with reforming Discord--something that not even her friends believe she can do. The ending is rushed, but it is revisited in season 4.
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Just for Sidekicks".
13. "Magical Mystery Cure"
Twilight discovers that her friends' cutie marks--and destinies--have been switched. This full-musical episode rushes through plot developments clearly intended for a series finale (which it was for a time), but contains some of the best songs of the series. The ending is explored more in season 4.

Movie - Equestria Girls
After the events of "Magical Mystery Cure", Twilight's Element of Magic is stolen. She follows the thief through a portal leading to another dimension, where she turns into a human and all of her friends are humans attending high school. Many dislike the premise of a high school alternate universe, but many also find these movies enjoyable. The Equestria Girls movies reference the events of the series, but the series doesn't acknowledge the movies, so they are completely optional.

First, I decided that some other episodes deserve annotations, to note the introduction of certain things. Tell me if this makes things too wordy. I also modified "Best Night Ever"'s description.

Season 1
* This starts a plotline continued by episodes 14 and 26.
* Introduces Pinkie's ability to predict the near future, Pinkie Sense. The moral of this episode alarmed many people when it aired, due to being perceived as anti-science and pro-religion, but the show crew has clarified that it was not their intention.
* Introduces Fluttershy's hypnotic Stare.
* Introduces Twilight's pet owl, Owlowicious.
The girls are all excited about attending the Grand Galloping Gala, but the night doesn't go as expected. This episode references "The Ticket Master" and "Suited for Success", but they are not necessary to follow the story. Introduces Spitfire and Soarin' of the Wonderbolts.

Season 2
7. "May the Best Pet Win!" - Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy
* Introduces Rainbow Dash's pet tortoise, Tank.
11. "Family Appreciation Day" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family
* Reveals how Ponyville was founded.
12. "Baby Cakes" - Pinkie Pie
* Pinkie's landlords, the Cakes, have twins.
13. "Hearth's Warming Eve" - Mane Six
* Reveals how Equestria was founded.
14. "The Last Roundup" - Applejack, Mane Six
* Gives background character Derpy her first prominent appearance--and last one for a while.

Season 3
* Introduces Apple Bloom's cousin, Babs Seed.
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Just for Sidekicks", and starts a plotline continued by season 4 episodes 5, 10, and 24.

Season 4 descriptions. I mention Daring Do being real, since I recall that she's supposed to appear in a season 6 episode.

Season 4
1. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1"
2. "Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2"
When the Everfree Forest goes out of control, the Mane Six once again journey into it, but things aren't the same now that Twilight is a princess, as Discord enjoys rubbing in. Even if you're just watching these boxed episodes, make sure to watch at least one of episodes 8, 10, 11, 16, and 21 of this season before watching the season finale.
3. "Castle Mane-ia" - Mane Six
The girls all separately find themselves at the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters, unknowingly scaring each other. This story modifies how the end-of-episode moral is handled.
4. "Daring Don't" - Rainbow Dash, Mane Six
* Reveals that Daring Do (season 2's "Read It and Weep") is real.
5. "Flight to the Finish" - Scootaloo, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rainbow Dash
Scootaloo becomes ashamed of the fact that she can't fly at her age. This episode continues a plotline started by season 3's "Games Ponies Play", and continued by "Rainbow Falls" and Equestria Games", but they aren't necessary to follow this story.
6. "Power Ponies" - Spike, Mane Six
7. "Bats!" - Fluttershy, Applejack, Mane Six
* Fluttershy turns into a vampire for a bit here, which sometimes comes up later.
8. "Rarity Takes Manehattan" - Rarity, Mane Six
Rarity helps one of her rivals in a fashion competition, only for her to turn around and plagiarize her designs, making Rarity question her generosity. To everyone's surprise, minor character Coco Pommel was popular with fans.
9. "Pinkie Apple Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family
Pinkie discovers ambivalent evidence that she's distantly related to the Apple Family, and to find concrete proof, they go on a road trip to talk to the Apple Family's historian. Hijinks ensue.
10. "Rainbow Falls" - Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
* Gives a prominent role to background character Bulk Biceps, and marks the return of Derpy after a long absence.
11. "Pinkie Pride" - Pinkie Pie
In this full-musical episode, a new "super duper party pony" arrives: Cheese Sandwich, played by comedy singer Weird Al. When he sweeps the town off its feet, Pinkie questions if she's really meant to plan parties.
12. "Three's A Crowd" - Twilight Sparkle, Discord, Cadance
13. "Simple Ways" - Rarity, Applejack
14. "Filli Vanilli" - Fluttershy, Rarity
When a member of Rarity's a cappella group, Pony Tones, loses his voice, Fluttershy steps up to replace him--provided that she can hide behind the curtain and dub over him while he lip-synches.
15. "Twilight Time" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Twilight Sparkle
The Cutie Mark Crusaders realize that Twilight is a lot more popular now that she's a princess, and take advantage of their friendship to become cool with the other kids.
16. "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
17. "Somepony to Watch Over Me" - Apple Bloom, Applejack
18. "Trade Ya!" - Mane Six
19. "Maud Pie" - Pinkie Pie, Mane Six
Pinkie is excited to introduce one of her sisters, Maud, to her friends, but they have a hard time getting along with her. Maud was an instant hit with the fans. She isn't one of the sisters seen in season 1's "The Cutie Mark Chronicles", but they do appear later.
20. "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" - Sweetie Belle, Rarity, Luna
After a fight between them, Sweetie Belle sabotages a dress that Rarity made for an important client, and she starts having nightmares.
21. "Leap of Faith" - Applejack, Apple Family
22. "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" - Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
Only one thing stands in the way of Rainbow Dash's goal of joining the Wonderbolts Reserves: the written exam. She is forced to turn to Twilight for help with studying.
23. "Inspiration Manifestation" - Spike, Rarity
24. "Equestria Games" - Spike
25. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 1"
26. "Twilight's Kingdom - Part 2"
Twilight feels that she hasn't lived up to her title as princess. Meanwhile, Discord is sent to track down the evil Tirek, an update to the villain of the original 80's My Little Pony TV special. This will decide the fates of both Twilight and Discord, and solve the mystery of the locked chest. Features a great song sung by all four princesses.

Movie - Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks
After the events of "Twilight's Kingdom", three sirens from Equestria enter Canterlot High's Battle of the Bands, and while the "Humane Five" are able to bring in pony Twilight for help, it may be up to the reformed Sunset Shimmer to save the day. This movie is filled with songs, and many enjoyed seeing Sunset redeem herself. Again, these movies are completely optional.

tomtom94

I think the only definite link between EG and the series is the Flash Sentry cameo, yes? But they're fun enough (not least because the first one clearly revels in the stupidity of its premise). Plus Rainbow Rocks has such great songs.

then again having a movie about my favourite character playing guitar and prominently featuring another of my favourite characters might help

^ The text seems fine, though I'm not feeling the breaking of words between lines with hyphens, like in the first episode description. Two larger changes are that it's a bit difficult to differentiate "normal" episodes from the recommended ones, so perhaps the normal episode titles should not be bolded, and/or they should have a somewhat smaller font. I also think that in the gaps between necessary episodes, there should be images from a few recommended episodes in order to fill in the darkness, though the images aren't necessarily put right next to their episode. For example, next to the space occupied by both "Party of One" and "Best Night Ever", you could put a shot of the main characters in their gala dresses. This would mean changing the right boundary of the text to be more like that of the recommended episodes, though.

Speaking of which, I earlier recommended using the images that TV Tropes uses for their episode recaps, but I notice that they use a lot of weird or weak images for episodes, such as "Luna Eclipsed" and "Party of One". Even with "Best Night Ever", there are numerous other shots from "At the Gala" that could have worked better, but I guess they really wanted Spike in there too. Unfortunately, Derpibooru has been surprisingly unhelpful with getting a group shot from that song, but I'll still help look for better screenshots if you need it.

Using this earlier post to host the latest updates of the episode lists.

Season 5

1. "The Cutie Map - Part 1"
2. "The Cutie Map - Part 2"
A mysterious map in Twilight's castle activates, leading the heroes to a strange town where everyone has the same cutie mark: an equal sign. This is the first two-parter to not focus on Twilight significantly more than the other main characters. The map sends the heroes on missions periodically throughout this season.
3. "Castle Sweet Castle" - Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six, Spike
4. "Bloom & Gloom" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Luna
After Apple Bloom learns that her cousin, Babs (season 3's "One Bad Apple"), has gotten her cutie mark, she once again becomes anxious about getting her own. One day, she finally wakes up with a cutie mark, but it's one she doesn't want.
5. "Tanks for the Memories" - Rainbow Dash
* Five seasons in, this contains Rainbow Dash's first solo song of the show.
6. "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" - Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applejack
7. "Make New Friends but Keep Discord" - Discord, Fluttershy
The Grand Galloping Gala (season 1's "The Best Night Ever") has arrived again, and Discord is aghast when Fluttershy invites someone else as her plus-one. To show that he's not jealous, he invites the Smooze, an update to the villain of the 80's My Little Pony theatrical movie.
8. "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" - Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie
The map sends Rainbow and Pinkie to the griffon city of Griffonstone, where they encounter Gilda (season 1's "Griffon the Brush-Off").
9. "Slice of Life" - Background Characters
While the heroes fend off a monster, the town prepares for the wedding of Cranky and Matilda (season 2's "A Friend in Deed"). This is the 100th episode, and it chooses to celebrate the various background and side characters that have appeared throughout the show. Even if you haven't paid too much attention to them, the episode is still an enjoyable watch.
10. "Princess Spike" - Spike, Twilight Sparkle, Cadance
11. "Party Pooped" - Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Mane Six
When a diplomatic meeting with Prince Rutherford, leader of the yaks, goes bad, everyone expects Pinkie to improve his mood, and she becomes overwhelmed by the pressure.
12. "Amending Fences" - Twilight Sparkle, Spike
Twilight decides to meet up with her old classmates from Magic School after realizing how bad a friend she used to be to them. After "Slice of Life", this was an unexpected second showcase of background characters, and many like it even more.
13. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" - Luna, Mane Six
14. "Canterlot Boutique" - Rarity
Rarity fulfills her dream of opening a shop in Canterlot (from the first episode), but finding success there may require giving up what she enjoys about dressmaking. The Canterlot shop becomes a recurring location.
15. "Scare Master" - Fluttershy, Mane Six
16. "Rarity Investigates!" - Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Wonderbolts
Rainbow Dash is finally flying with the Wonderbolts, but it proves short-lived when she is accused of a crime against them. It's up to Rarity to prove her innocence, as a film noir detective. The mystery is very simple, but Rarity's narration makes it great.
17. "Made in Manehattan" - Rarity, Applejack
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Brotherhooves Social".
18. "Brotherhooves Social" - Apple Bloom, Apple Family
* This episode occurs simultaneously with "Made in Manehattan".
19. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark"
The Cutie Mark Crusaders help one of their classmates compete in a class president election against Diamond Tiara, who has tormented them since season 1's "Call of the Cutie", but end up discovering another side to her. This is a full-musical episode, and is a must-watch even if you aren't a fan of Cutie Mark Crusader episodes.
20. "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" - Pinkie Pie, Cadance, Twilight Sparkle
* Reveals that Cadance is pregnant.
21. "Hearthbreakers" - Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Apple Family
The Apples visit the Pies to celebrate Hearth's Warming (a Christmas-style holiday), but they are confused by their holiday traditions. Properly introduces the rest of Pinkie's family, and Pinkie's other sisters, Limestone and Marble, were instant hits with the fans. Note that even though they refer to each other as cousins, the Apples and Pies are distantly related at best.
22. "What About Discord?" - Twilight Sparkle, Discord, Mane Six
23. "The Hooffields and McColts" - Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy
24. "The Mane Attraction" - Applejack
* Guest stars Tony award winner Lena Hall, who sings in this episode.
25. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 1"
26. "The Cutie Re-Mark - Part 2"
Starlight Glimmer, from the season premiere, attempts to demonstrate to Twilight that her friendships don't mean anything by using the power of the map to rewrite the past, so that the Mane Six never met. Showcases various alternate realities, each with a different villain winning.

Movie - Equestria Girls: Friendship Games
The Twilight Sparkle native to the human world finally appears, as a student from a rival school who is curious about the strange events at Canterlot High. When the schools meet for an athletic competition, Twilight learns about friendship from the Humane Five and Sunset, even as her principal promotes hatred and the device she built to scan for magic starts absorbing large amounts of it.

PaulloDEC

^ The text seems fine, though I'm not feeling the breaking of words between lines with hyphens, like in the first episode description. Two larger changes are that it's a bit difficult to differentiate "normal" episodes from the recommended ones, so perhaps the normal episode titles should not be bolded, and/or they should have a somewhat smaller font. I also think that in the gaps between necessary episodes, there should be images from a few recommended episodes in order to fill in the darkness, though the images aren't necessarily put right next to their episode. For example, next to the space occupied by both "Party of One" and "Best Night Ever", you could put a shot of the main characters in their gala dresses. This would mean changing the right boundary of the text to be more like that of the recommended episodes, though.

Speaking of which, I earlier recommended using the images that TV Tropes uses for their episode recaps, but I notice that they use a lot of weird or weak images for episodes, such as "Luna Eclipsed" and "Party of One". Even with "Best Night Ever", there are numerous other shots from "At the Gala" that could have worked better, but I guess they really wanted Spike in there too. Unfortunately, Derpibooru has been surprisingly unhelpful with getting a group shot from that song, but I'll still help look for better screenshots if you need it.

Feedback implemented:

Thoughts?

Feedback implemented:

Thoughts?

That looks good, though it'd be good for other people to give feedback if it's too crowded now. Nice touch with the episode number in the corner. As for picture choices, I feel like "Boast Busters" should have a closer shot of Trixie, "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" should probably have a shot of the girls as fillies (maybe one with Rainbow and Fluttershy), and "The Best Night Ever" should have a shot that better shows the gala dresses, but otherwise they're good.

It's still a bit difficult to tell normal and recommended episodes apart at a glance, though.

Also,
tumblr_o12dxu8ykk1rorj6qo1_500.png

EDIT: Oh wait, duh, the MLP Wikia has a bunch of shots from episodes! At the bottom of each episode page is a link to a gallery of screenshots. Try one of these for "The Best Night Ever". "You all look amazing", start of the song, toward the end of the song.

Only screencap from "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" with filly RD and Fluttershy together.

A Trixie shot similar to the one used that's closer to her.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you probably already know this, since the shots you used in the test guide are the ones at the top of the episode pages.

PaulloDEC

Is there a reason the Party of One pic is out of order in the Season 1 guide?

So yeah, the main issue I'm dealing with at the moment is making the extra pictures fit nicely without being too crazily staggered. I could put the Party of One image at the bottom above the Best Night Ever image, but then I'd have a situation where the pictures continued vertically past the last line of text. Additionally it'd mean the three pictures above Cutie Mark Chronicles would be way more vertically spaced out than the images nearer the top, which would make things look less balanced.

I'm totally open to suggestions though.

That looks good, though it'd be good for other people to give feedback if it's too crowded now. Nice touch with the episode number in the corner. As for picture choices, I feel like "Boast Busters" should have a closer shot of Trixie, "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" should probably have a shot of the girls as fillies (maybe one with Rainbow and Fluttershy), and "The Best Night Ever" should have a shot that better shows the gala dresses, but otherwise they're good.

It's still a bit difficult to tell normal and recommended episodes apart at a glance, though.

EDIT: Oh wait, duh, the MLP Wikia has a bunch of shots from episodes! At the bottom of each episode page is a link to a gallery of screenshots. Try one of these for "The Best Night Ever". "You all look amazing", start of the song, toward the end of the song.

Only screencap from "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" with filly RD and Fluttershy together.

A Trixie shot similar to the one used that's closer to her.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you probably already know this, since the shots you used in the test guide are the ones at the top of the episode pages.

Regarding the picture choices, the ones I've chosen are just the header images from the MLP wiki (as you guessed). I'm totally open to switching those out for others whenever, and unlike text they're pretty quick and easy to change.

I'm kinda disinclined to change the normal episode titles any further; they're already a lighter weight than the recs, and I feel like decreasing the point size will just make the layout look chaotic. I could try an even lighter weight of font, but I'm not sure how good that'll look. I'd like to think the bright pink colouring on the recs would be enough for most readers.

I'll look at getting some of those replacement pictures in now.

EDIT: Done.

So yeah, the main issue I'm dealing with at the moment is making the extra pictures fit nicely without being too crazily staggered. I could put the Party of One image at the bottom above the Best Night Ever image, but then I'd have a situation where the pictures continued vertically past the last line of text. Additionally it'd mean the three pictures above Cutie Mark Chronicles would be way more vertically spaced out than the images nearer the top, which would make things look less balanced.

I'm totally open to suggestions though.

Regarding the picture choices, the ones I've chosen are just the header images from the MLP wiki (as you guessed). I'm totally open to switching those out for others whenever, and unlike text they're pretty quick and easy to change.

I'm kinda disinclined to change the normal episode titles any further; they're already a lighter weight than the recs, and I feel like decreasing the point size will just make the layout look chaotic. I could try an even lighter weight of font, but I'm not sure how good that'll look. I'd like to think the bright pink colouring on the recs would be enough for most readers.

I'll look at getting some of those replacement pictures in now.

EDIT: Done.

For the spacing issue, I think your solution for season 1 is fine, though perhaps you should move the image for "The Best Night Ever" a bit lower. The images look great now. The other places where I can see this being an issue is with "Lesson Zero" being right between two necessary episodes, and season 5 only having one recommended episode between "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" and "The Cutie Re-Mark". Otherwise, I think just evenly spacing the images will be fine. Plus, you do have the option of not including pictures for some episodes.

As for the episode titles issue, perhaps you could do what the Clone Wars episode guide does and have a highlight effect instead of making the recommended episode titles a different color.

Top Bottom