• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD gives R9 Nano a price drop, now $499

http://www.pcgamer.com/amds-r9-nano-graphics-card-gets-a-price-cut/

The AMD R9 Nano graphics card launched last year, and although it's a great little card, it was a bit pricey. Now, the R9 Nano has become just a bit better, as AMD is cutting its price from $649 down to $499 today, January 11.

The R9 Nano is a 175W card with 4096 stream processors, and 4GB of memory clocked at 512GB/s delivered over a 4096-bit bus. But the main thing to note is that it's just 6-inches long.

According to our review of the card, last year the R9 Nano was definitely the way to go if you were building a powerful small form factor PC. Now that it's cheaper than the full size Fury X ($600), it might be worth considering elsewhere too, and it's a damn good deal compared to the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti.

good to see it drop in price. the card is about 25% or so faster than the 970 so it was a little pricey given the performance, but now i hope it can find a home in plenty of mini ITX (the superior form factor for PCs) build

i hope that they have a refresh of the nano with their new architecture and stick to this price point. i'd be down in a year or two to get a new GPU to replace my 970.

$150 is a HUGE price drop for a product that's not even 4 months old though...

drop me if old

I'd be all over this if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't support HDMI 2.0 (have a 4K TV) and the fact that it's not quite tax return season yet.

This one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125803&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSJXXLYIMIHD-_-14-125-803-_-Product

I would take the 980ti over the Nano any day.

I have a Gigabyte 970, and it's been pretty amazing so far.

You aren't buying the nano for purely performance... There is a reason it's called 'nano'.

gabbo

Would the Nano make a good gaming card if I'm not going over 1080p and replacing a 660?
That price drop (assuming Canadian prices drop accordingly) would be attractive

cyen

This means that it was getting stomped by 980ti.

Price drop on 980ti Nvidia please?
:(

This card was not competing in terms of power with the 980ti, it´s a High End HTPC card due to it´s very low profile and "low" power consumption, at least for the power it delivers.

bomblord1

Banned
Would the Nano make a good gaming card if I'm not going over 1080p and replacing a 660?
That price drop (assuming Canadian prices drop accordingly) would be attractive

Well AMD markets it as 4k compatible (although that's very arguable). It's one of the most powerful cards on the market right now sitting above a non ti 980.

Well AMD markets it as 4k compatible (although that's very arguable). It's one of the most powerful cards on the market right now sitting above a non ti 980.

This... though seriously no HDMI 2.0 is a major hype killer... my 4k TV doesn't have a display port connector. There was supposed to be some sort of dongle they were releasing, but I don't know what happened on that front.

cyen

Should have launched at that price.

The perfect price point for this type of card.

This... though seriously no HDMI 2.0 is a major hype killer... my 4k TV doesn't have a display port connector. There was supposed to be some sort of dongle they were releasing, but I don't know what happened on that front.

yeah, really bad decision, earlier nv cards already had HDMI 2.0 when the Fury series came out. Dont really know why they didn´t include it.

Skux

It's cool that it's that small but I can't see the appeal. If you're going for a tiny powerful mini ITX build, manufacturers have caught on and now make tiny cases with water cooling and full length GPU support. You'll get lower thermals and noise and less throttling with the larger models and they'll still fit into things like the Ncase M1 and Core 500.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Can't you just get a displayport->HDMI lead/adapter?

There should be several dongles available already. I could find at least the Club3D one for around 40€ in Europe.
http://geizhals.de/club-3d-aktiver-mini-displayport-1-2-hdmi-2-0-adapter-cac-1170-a1363004.html

It's nice to see at least some prices drop. GPU prices have completely stagnated since the 980/970 release. The Nano is still a HTPC niche card, but at least now it's much more reasonably priced and worth getting for that purpose, though the HDMI 2.0 adapter will add to the price.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is this thing quiet and cool? The small size is appealing to me but only because I feel like that proxies for lower power use or greater efficiency?

bomblord1

Banned
With the exception of Sapphire on Newegg no manufacturers have dropped the price. I can't even find it under $600 on amazon.

Durante

Well, it was overpriced. Closer to where it should slot in now, even though it's still expensive if you don't need the form factor.

bomblord1

Banned
Now that the R9 Nano is in the same price bracket as the non-ti 980 legit reviews did a comparison using the latest drivers.

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-versus-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980_177681

nano-versus-gtx980-645x497.jpg

The nano beat it across the board but only by a few fps in some games.

AMD cutting the MSRP of the Radeon R9 Nano from $649 to $499 made it available to a whole new class of buyers. If you have $500 to spend on a graphics card the AMD Radeon R9 Nano is a pretty solid choice as it did perform better than the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 reference card in virtually every game title that we benchmarked. The performance between the two cards was close in some benchmarks, but the tiny Radeon R9 Nano proved to be the winner overall. At the old $649 price point it wasn’t competitive with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti and got it’s ass handed to it, so we are glad that AMD slashed the tiny card premium and is going after NVIDIA at the $500 price point. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 is available for as little as $479.99, so while the card is a tad slower in the benchmarks, it is also slightly less expensive.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-rad...geforce-gtx-980_177681/10#gPhBocjPo8sLLwm2.99

starwars-2160-nano-645x551.jpg

Edit: You know what it might be a good idea to make this it's own thread.

Top Bottom