• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when you just "had to be there"

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Vanilla \ TBC WoW.
Original UO.
There's quite nothing that compares, because the communities are dead.

Back when a lot of people migrated from the Ragnarok Online iRO servers to euRO.
Such crazy memories with stuff going horribly wrong and being great at the same time.

Gorillaz

I would say the early pokemon years were ridiculous. Yea Gold and Silver having day and night cycles, eggs, new types,etc was big for everyone.

The biggest was finding out kanto was added on as well? Like Yooooooooooo

Mario Party on the N64. How everyone tore up the palm of their hand doing the game where you rotate the stick as fast as you can

Barnstorming

Neo Member
Mass Effect

I only say this because of the way, for better or worse, that Mass Effect 2 pushed the series. I really liked Mass Effect, in a way that had zero carryover to 2. Mako was fun, shooting was fun, lots of abilities w/ no global cooldown (only a feature after 2 had global cooldown). It felt wide, and you felt like an explorer or a pioneer.

If Mass Effect 2 had improved and iterated on the mechanics and features of 1, then this wouldn't be such a problem. But it cut all of the fun and interesting stuff, instead of fixing what needed to be fixed.

I know 2 people who are huge Mass Effect fans, and they both played Mass Effect 2 as their first ME game. They both think that original ME is trash. Help me.

Not a game as such but gaming related.

NEOGAF - 2013

From the ps4 announcement conference all the way to launch day. This place was phenomenal. New news everyday, leaks, bullshit leaks and fanboy meltdowns that will never be recreated.

SOME-MIST

when WON switched over to STEAM and it was the worst piece of crap. iirc it wrecked a couple TFC matches since the client wasn't really that stable.

hatchx

Banned
I feel Metroid Prime deserves a mention as well. Retro knocked it out of the park! The transition from 2D to 3D was flawless. It couldn't have been executed better.

Agreed, although I think even if someone gave it a first-time playthrough today they'd be floored by how amazing it. Best game of all time in my opinion.

Cess007

- Super Mario 64
- GoldenEye 64
- Grand Theft Auto 3

Also this:

Pokemon Gen 2. Everything about Pokemon at the time was mythical. If you don't know why people hold Gen 2 with a sense of reverence, it's simply because you weren't there.

So.fucking.much.of.this!

Half Life 2 is still a fantastic game, but it certainly elevated how a story was delivered to the player like no other game before it. Before Half Life 2, story was less of a focus for most action games or it was typically delivered in cut-scenes.

Goldeneye is certainly a candidate, because it revolutionised consoles and four-way multiplayer on shooters, which arguably lead to the validity of Halo's development and expanded player counts on consoles in general.

Weetrick

Feeling the N64 controller for the first time in a store display and seeing Mario move along with the analog stick in complete 3D. Mind blowing.

Being a hardcore gamer during the height of the 16-bit war

The move from 2d to 3d. Super Mario 64 blew my 18 year old mind back in 96.

Street Fighter II going to SNES in 92, taking the arcade experience home. Countless hours spent trashtalking with friends on that game.

Mortal Kombat in 92

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Pokemon Gen 2. Everything about Pokemon at the time was mythical. If you don't know why people hold Gen 2 with a sense of reverence, it's simply because you weren't there.

Yup.

This was right at the start of "some of your friends had a dial-up connection" and saw pictures of "Pikablu."

I was in... 4th grade... and my dad was stationed overseas; meaning I got a copy of Gold & Silver (that I had ZERO ability to read) before any of my friends, and I instantly became the coolest kid at school, bar none.

I mean - Gold & Silver was like... a revelation of kids on the playground. It took the most popular franchise possibly ever, and instantly doubled the world, the rumors, the stories, the games, etc.

Cody_D165

Banned
When Salty Bet's MUGEN battles on Twitch were first made popular it was incredible. A giant clusterfuck of the most broken and the most useless MUGEN AI characters battling for our amusement. I spent many an hour in the salt mines while Duane supervised the action.

Always bet DBZ.

Never bet DBZ.

Nailed it in the first comment. Vanilla WoW was the definition of a 'time and place' game. I've basically made an annual habit, ever since Wrath, of chasing the feeling I had playing that game in its infancy and nothing even comes close.

Agreed. I remember being so excited to play WoW coming hot off of Runescape.

I was blown away by the sheer scale of the world, the size and amount of content. I would often just get lost wandering around looking at everything.

It was honestly so damn magical as corny as that sounds. I don't know if anything will ever come close again to that experience.

I remember the first character I made was a night elf. And all my friends in high school said I had to go to ironforge to really see an active capital city. Making that trek from Teldrassil to Ironforge was amazing and took me a long long time on foot lol. But I was blown away by how many people I saw there.

1. Being the first kid on my block to have a NES and probably selling 10 of those for Nintendo just by having my friends come over and play it.

2. Looking back at that being 30 years ago and being old =/

Vanilla wow and the AQ opening event.

Now that was an epic quest. Entire servers working together, and the tip of the top guilds coming to agreements on when exactly to finish the quests. Granted, it was total server collapse when they did.

But wow, the bragging rights the title and mount must be now.

Doofcake

Portal 2 ARG, both the first announcement one and the potato release one. Really hope Valve does something similar with HL3 whenever that happens.

The massive backlash and period of unknowing that was the beginning of Steam and Counter Strike 1.6 in 2004(?)

The six months after GTA III was released. All of the mass media coverage and political coverage and controversies. Not to mention the insane hype there was for "GTA clones" and sequels in the 1-2 years following.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I would nominate not a game, but a time. Specifically Fall 1998.

September 28 - Pokemon Red and Blue
September 30 - Fallout 2
October 20 - Xenogears
October 21 - Metal Gear Solid
October 30 - Grim Fandango
November 8 - Half-Life
November 23 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
November 27 - Sega Dreamcast Japanese Launch
November 30 - StarCraft: Brood War
November 30 - Baldur's Gate

And that's not even an exhaustive list. What a time to be 16.

tr00per

The joy of renting games with no way to research if they're shit or not. Also, hoping the save file you left last weekend is still there and didn't get overwritten by some asshole calling Link FART.

Like, I can't imagine anyone in the current gaming scene driving out to a store and deciding some bullshit like Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. was worth a rental fee.

Ahhh true!

Renting games with just the boxart (or sometimes not (Hollywood video lol)) to go on

Melchiah

Building my own tracks in Racing & Destruction Set, and driving through them with a friend.

Blazing through the rollercoaster roads of Stunt Car Racer at far too high speed.

Experiencing the real-time environmental morphing, and the streamed world in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Being delighted and disturbed by the story and audiovisual elements in Silent Hill 2, that were unheard of at the time. It's amazing how awful a game can make you feel.

The awe of witnessing the crisp graphics and fluid framerate of WipEout HD, the joy of Journey with a companion, and the range of emotions throughout The Last of Us.

Peltz

Super Mario Bros (how do you beat this scree-HOLY SHIT IT'S SCROLLING SMOOTHLY TO THE RIGHT)

I wish I were a bit older to know just how amazing that must've felt. SMB was my first game so it feels like the beginning of gaming to me. But I imagine seeing the screen scroll must've felt like the way moving in Super Mario 64 felt for the first time... totally magical.

Mario Party on the N64. How everyone tore up the palm of their hand doing the game where you rotate the stick as fast as you can

Kids these days don't know what they're missing!

(I felt my palms tingle as I read your post, I remember the blisters quite vividly)

bigedole

September 30 - Fallout 2
October 20 - Xenogears
November 8 - Half-Life

This is pretty amazing if true.

Farks!

Half-Life 2 at E3 2003. Shit was mindblowing.

GTA: San Andreas and the Bigfoot rumours the first weeks after launch. There were big threads on every GTA forum with people speculating and organizing searches. I remember that I was afraid of exploring the countryside in the game because of it, lol.

Nailed it in the first comment. Vanilla WoW was the definition of a 'time and place' game. I've basically made an annual habit, ever since Wrath, of chasing the feeling I had playing that game in its infancy and nothing even comes close.

Same. In fact I think there are thousands of us who continue to play in an effort to recapture that feeling from the first few months of playing WoW during 2005-2007 time frame. Never can capture it and no one has been able to make anything that comes close.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
Mario 64 and Ever Quest at launch are the two that stand out in my mind.
Those titles felt completely revolutionary when they came out and far beyond the incremental advancements we see in most games today.

Jospina

Banned
WoW, FF7, Mario 64, and Dreamcast launch which is still the most shocking graphical leap I have ever experienced in between generations.

OneUh8

I don't have anything that hasn't already been said, just wanted to say thanks to reminding me of moments I have forgotten. So many great times in gaming history.

britt0n

Neo Member
Twitch Plays Pokemon

It was a crazy few weeks when the Internet was all a flutter about this going down. Was it going to work? Was it going to fail? I feel like it brought twitch to a group who never gave a hoot about twitch before as well.

amanset

September 30 - Fallout 2
October 20 - Xenogears
November 8 - Half-Life

Zelda:OoT was released on December 11th in Europe. I was living in London at the time and due to not taking any time off and not being able to hold holiday days over to the next year I ended up taking the whole of December off. I hadn't had an N64 for that long and was a bit new to console gaming so didn't know that you really had to book stuff.

It was a Friday and I decided just to head into Central London to see if I could find a copy. Everywhere was sold out. Everywhere. Eventually I went to Hamley's as at the time they had a tiny videogame section on the top floor. No one was there apart from a lone employee who confirmed that she had copies in the back. As she went to fetch me one a wave of people appeared asking me if they had a copy, eventually forming a large queue at the checkout. Eventually she asked "what is this game you all after" to which someone called out "it is the best game ever made".

On the way home it seemed like everyone I saw was carrying a copy. I'd never seen anything like it.

That felt like an event.

you kinda needed to be growing up during the transition to 3d to have any sort of longing for that era. most games that come from there and rely on 3d to build worlds with fairly complex controls are either unplayable or have been surpassed greatly since then.

i don't mean the likes of final fantasy vii, vii, or ix, which function like glorified 2d games, but first-person shooters, platformers, and sports games. crash bandicoot is a clunky mess in 2016, and ocarina of time is claustrophobic with very simplistic puzzles that later games shame. however, at the time, ocarina of time was a revelation for a lot of people.

I agree with your point overall, but not with your examples.

Crash's mechanics held up remarkably well for a N64/PSX esque platformer. I was never the biggest Crash fan, but id say it's the only PSX game that can be named in the same sentence as Mario 64 and Banjo.

And Ocarina. Nah. There are still very, very few games that surpass it's puzzles (I'd only name Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) in the 3D space.

Edit: Pokemon Blue, Red and Yellow are the perfect answer for this thread. Everyone loved Pokemon back then, the Internet was still in it's infancy and rumours were everywhere. Fun times.

MrBadger

A lot of people these days regard Sonic Adventure as a piece of shit (despite it aging about as wall as most 90s 3D games not from Nintendo), but back then, seeing the whale destroying the bridge in the first level was amazing.

The transition from 2D games to 3D games blew my mind as a kid.

Going to Blockbuster with your parents and renting a game, not knowing whether it'll be fantastic or terrible, choosing solely on the cover art or what a friend at school said. Redbox is just not the same.

Top Bottom