• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Sorian

Banned
Also when soon to be dead scum just ends the day early so town can't talk anymore.

In other forums, I would actually believe that, with Gafia though? Eh, if I were scum in that situation, I'd rather just wait out the day, it's probably 50/50 that town will talk themselves out of lynching me :p

That's neither here nor there though, if you want a real take away from me saying that self-votes are stupid, it does not help town when a town member decides to sink themselves because there is no hope. I think we've seen that happen just as much as scum self voting to stop day discussion.

Fireblend

Banned
There are 3 separate spec threads for the mid season games.

OMGUS
VOTE: Fireblend

Gotta lynch you sometime. I look forward to my eventual success.

Don't worry, I get it. We have to put our comradery behind us. Such is life in gafia. We get to be the best of friends one game, agreeing and supporting each other 100%, only to be forced to clash with total indifference the next. Just know that I will always remember the special bond we shared during Princess.

Except of course if the mafia target is bulletproof, for instance.

Damn. Starting with the scum PR theories already. You don't miss a beat.

Flame_AC

I think we're going to have to go through the first night to really be able to speculate the types of powers that are out there. We have no idea if we're working with a really strong town and scum, or very weak both. Anything right now is pure guesswork.

Don't worry, I get it. We have to put our comradery behind us. Such is life in gafia. We get to be the best of friends one game, agreeing and supporting each other 100%, only to be forced to clash with total indifference the next. Just know that I will always remember the special bond we shared during Princess.

Damn. Starting with the scum PR theories already. You don't miss a beat.

Only pinko scum thinks in terms of comrades.
We were, rather, occasional allies. Bonded by RNG and joined together to lynch evil queens.

TL21xx is actually playing in this game? *goes to check list again*

Sorian

Banned
I don't think weemad was actually commenting on possibilties in this game, she was giving an example based on what happened night 1 in princesses (scum hit the bulletproof player). But yes, PR speculation is worthless at this juncture and for awhile into future days as well unless you are scum or we actually have an active role claim that we have to figure out if it makes sense or not.

Coppanuva

Also when soon to be dead scum just ends the day early so town can't talk anymore.

What kind of lame floppy scum are you playing with?

In regards to the lynch thing, yeah I'm all for lynching people as per usual. If we don't, D2 just leaves us with whatever information we gain from scum's kill. Using our D1 lynch will get us more information early on, and allow us to control some of it as well.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't think weemad was actually commenting on possibilties in this game, she was giving an example based on what happened night 1 in princesses (scum hit the bulletproof player). But yes, PR speculation is worthless at this juncture and for awhile into future days as well unless you are scum or we actually have an active role claim that we have to figure out if it makes sense or not.

I'm aware, it's just that she was a little too theory-happy in princesses, dreaming of recruitment mechanics and whatnot. I wanted to reference that :p

Bailing weemad out already I see, I see. The pieces start falling into place.

/s

Sorian

Banned
I'm aware, it's just that she was a little too theory-happy in princesses, dreaming of recruitment mechanics and whatnot. I wanted to reference that :p

Bailing weemad out already I see, I see. The pieces start falling into place.

/s

I was more talking to Flame in that post. I wasn't sure how much he followed princess and he looked like he might have been taking the post a bit more seriously.

pmDKqvP.gif

SkyOdin

Hi Xam.

Blink twice if you are a one shot bulletproof ascetic serial killer and alignment cop again.
I would hope that we don't see such a thing again for a long time to come. At least in the games I am playing.

Anyways, I'll leave my vote on you for the time being Sorian, at least until I see some other people respond and can come up with some basis to move it. I am of the mind that the pressure vote doesn't work if you back off too easily.

Coppanuva

I would hope that we don't see such a thing again for a long time to come. At least in the games I am playing.

Anyways, I'll leave my vote on you for the time being Sorian, at least until I see some other people respond and can come up with some basis to move it. I am of the mind that the pressure vote doesn't work if you back off too easily.

It also doesn't work if you tell them it's going to move off in a few days anyhow ;)

I feel so loved...

Day 1, oh glorious Day 1. I pretty much agree with all of what Sorian said at the start, so let's be very guarded and let a Love Boat claim happen again.

If this is what you believe, why are you bread crumbing about paperwork?

VOTE: tl21xx

FluxWaveZ

What exactly do you want Sorian to say in response to your vote? This fear that he will hold more sway as a town leader is premature, and expecting him to somehow convince you of his towniness this early on—on Day 1 when very little has been said—is irrational.

It's not so much a "pressure vote" as some kind of hybrid between paranoia and some foreign impetus to place a vote from the outset.

Sorian

Banned

To the bolded: I don't think we will see that again for quite awhile :p I think I made too much of a scene with it the first time. As for the second part:

It also doesn't work if you tell them it's going to move off in a few days anyhow ;)

Coppa sums it up well. If you are voting for someone then you need to mean it. Don't put a vote down and then tell them that it doesn't mean much if you actually want it to act as pressure. I park my vote uselessly from time to time since I like to always have one up but you say you want to pressure me, don't give me motivation to just ignore your vote so easily.

Sorian

Banned
If this is what you believe, why are you bread crumbing about paperwork?

VOTE: tl21xx

I wasn't actually going to poke that bee's nest myself. People like to breadcrumb. The post did seem off and now since someone else said something, I'll throw my hat in as well as someone who noticed it but I try not to accidentally bust someone breadcrumbing this early if I can help it.

SkyOdin

What exactly do you want Sorian to say in response to your vote? This fear that he will hold more sway as a town leader is premature, and expecting him to somehow convince you of his towniness this early on—on Day 1 when very little has been said—is irrational.

It's not so much a "pressure vote" as some kind of hybrid between paranoia and some foreign impetus to place a vote from the outset.

Hey, I'm new and a little eager to participate. Calling me paranoid and eager to put out votes is probably entirely accurate. I just think that it is more fun to have votes out there than not, and it is more important to have a vote that at least has some meaning (even if it isn't much) rather than no vote at all or a vote with no logic behind it.

Anyways, I'm not looking for anything from Sorian in particular. I am looking for information. It isn't anything specific yet, but I don't know how people will react yet. Prompting at least some conversation is useful. Even provoking your skepticism has been a positive result from my vote, at least to me. It is the best I can do given that it is the first hour of the game.

You're right generally speaking, Sorian. I wouldn't normally poke a bread crumb. But then going on about not role claiming is sheer scummy hypocrisy. That's why I'm voting him now.

FluxWaveZ

Hey, I'm new and a little eager to participate. Calling me paranoid and eager to put out votes is probably entirely accurate. I just think that it is more fun to have votes out there than not, and it is more important to have a vote that at least has some meaning (even if it isn't much) rather than no vote at all or a vote with no logic behind it.

Anyways, I'm not looking for anything from Sorian in particular. I am looking for information. It isn't anything specific yet, but I don't know how people will react yet. Prompting at least some conversation is useful. Even provoking your skepticism has been a positive result from my vote, at least to me. It is the best I can do given that it is the first hour of the game.

Reasonable; agreed.

And I have no idea what Sorian and weemadarthur are going on about.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I don't see a reason to pursue what could be potential breadcrumbing right now. In particular I don't see it justifying a vote, but then again this is day 1, so whatever. Same goes for saying "I'll remove my vote eventually" or "I'm just parking my vote". It's day 1, we all know those initial votes are most likely not going to stick.

Camjo-Z

Paperwork = Paper

What is made from paper? Calendars

TL = Calendar Man

TL will post "Joke's on you" on April 1st and kill everybody

Sorian

Banned
You're right generally speaking, Sorian. I wouldn't normally poke a bread crumb. But then going on about not role claiming is sheer scummy hypocrisy. That's why I'm voting him now.

Fair point, I look forward to what he says back. The inherent hypocrisy is slight and subtle but it could mean more. I'd sheep your vote to help pressure but I find that day 1's usefulness is at it's highest when we can get everyone talking so my vote will rotate through the inactives until we at least have initial check-ins on the proceedings from everyone. And before anyone bothers, no I'm not trying to hide under the easy cover of inactive voting. We are a little over an hour into the first day phase, I like to make sure we have everyone sitting at the table before I start trying to figure out who is scummy.

Mazre

I'm a generic GCPD officer. (To hell with your pre-typed post Sorian, and to hell with conventional wisdom)

TL21xx's 'bread crumb' struck me as well as I was catching up.

Not much else at this point.

Sorian

Banned
I'm a generic GCPD officer. (To hell with your pre-typed post Sorian, and to hell with conventional wisdom)

TL21xx's 'bread crumb' struck me as well as I was catching up.

Not much else at this point.

*sigh* This is always so useless. I guess you could argue that it creates a slight WIFOM situation for scum to have to work through but it reads more as you just trying to stick it to me for not wanting people to role claim. At best, all this really does is help yourself.

So 18 players - 4 mafia, right?

I lean towards 3 personally. I assume they're each strong though, could very well be 4 weak ones.

3-4 is the magic number, yeah. 3 if scum has really strong PRs or any potential neutrals are extremely likely to side with scum and 4 if the opposite holds true on PRs or if neutral(s) have incentive to hunt down scum as well.

Fireblend

Banned
Numbers don't matter. We take care of as many of them scummy bastards as we have to to get out of this hellhole, that's all I care 'bout.

Camjo-Z

Numbers don't matter. We take care of as many of them scummy bastards as we have to to get out of this hellhole, that's all I care 'bout.

Whoa, you've gotta get out of the hole, you're Bane, we get it. God, it's called breadcrumbing people, don't drop the entire loaf!

Sorian

Banned
Do you think there's a neutral in this game? I do

Probably, when was the last time (if ever) that we've had a gafia game with no neutral? That being said though, it's a toss up. Our win condition is written as if we only have to off one faction so there's nothing to really point at a neutral being in play.

-----------

I know it's early but I'm a bit bothered that Camjo isn't really commenting on anything. (From memory) I think he has 3 posts since game start and they've all been jokes except for a slight bit in the first post where he agrees with the points in my opener.

TL21xx

Banned
Okay!

[Highligh... Oh, right, this isn't Love Boat, whoops!

Sorian has a point about Camjo, his posts are feeling pretty fluffy right now.

Camjo-Z

I know it's early but I'm a bit bothered that Camjo isn't really commenting on anything. (From memory) I think he has 3 posts since game start and they've all been jokes except for a slight bit in the first post where he agrees with the points in my opener.

day 1 can plant a large smooch directly on my rear end

Sorian

Banned
day 1 can plant a large smooch directly on my rear end

Day 1 usually has some of the best data points to pick at when you get to mylo/lylo. Not particularly helpful when people write it off though, which is why that tends to be a red flag for me.

Top Bottom