• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

FluxWaveZ

Were you working off the assumption that claiming mafia and antagonizing everyone was the best move just now to reflect you were taking the game seriously? Cuz that seems weird.

Nah, after I realized that whatever I said wouldn't really change anything or my situation (I came close to dying, after all), I felt compelled to mess around. I'm not really taking this seriously anymore.

Camjo-Z

Because you seem to take issue with when it was used: When would you have used that power? He was an outed PR, he probably figured he would die over night and wanted to make sure it got used.

I would have outed the role at least a good 20 minutes before deadline so town could make a decision as to whether or not they felt I was worth keeping alive in a reasonable amount of time. The fact that he strung the claim along through multiple posts suggests that he wanted things to be rushed and swing-y, possibly so any vote changes from his scum buddies would look more justified.

Nah, after I realized that whatever I said wouldn't really change anything or my situation (I came close to dying, after all), I felt compelled to mess around. I'm not really taking this seriously anymore.

So what you're saying is, after some fairly weak play on Day 1, you got an out-of-nowhere second chance, and with it... you decided to gamethrow.

ROY! ROY YOU FUCKER!! I WANT A DO-OVER! ROY WHY DID YOU GIVE ME THIS POWER!! ROOOOOY!!!

FluxWaveZ

So what you're saying is, after some fairly weak play on Day 1, you got an out-of-nowhere second chance, and with it... you decided to gamethrow.

ROY! ROY YOU FUCKER!! I WANT A DO-OVER! ROY WHY DID YOU GIVE ME THIS POWER!! ROOOOOY!!!

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Fireblend

Banned
What is it with Xam and now Flux acting like the opposite of themselves in this game? Did I step into an alternate universe or something? Ugh.

Just wanna say real quick that I'm gonna be swamped with school work for the next couple of days, but I'll be back for the final 24 hours of day. Take care and plzdontturbo

Coppanuva

I would have outed the role at least a good 20 minutes before deadline so town could make a decision as to whether or not they felt I was worth keeping alive in a reasonable amount of time. The fact that he strung the claim along through multiple posts suggests that he wanted things to be rushed and swing-y, possibly so any vote changes from his scum buddies would look more justified.

That doesn't quite answer my question. I asked when you would have used the power, not "Do you think he should have told us its impact before using it?". Honestly, if he's not lying Topo played it the only way he could. I can understand the doubt around whether or not he's telling the truth, and honestly I'm not sure either way myself. I need to re-read his posts and see what I think.

Camjo-Z

That doesn't quite answer my question. I asked when you would have used the power, not "Do you think he should have told us its impact before using it?". Honestly, if he's not lying Topo played it the only way he could. I can understand the doubt around whether or not he's telling the truth, and honestly I'm not sure either way myself. I need to re-read his posts and see what I think.

Oh, when would I have used the power? I guess as soon as possible. I'm not saying he made the wrong play in using it immediately (if he has it), just that the reveal seemed very intentionally designed to promote chaos.

Sorian

Banned
Well I kind of want him to clarify the power a bit but why wouldn't he use it to block night chat? Wouldn't screwing them up when they are coordinating night actions be a better use of the power? People also tossed around that he'd have to use it right away since he claimed, what better use right away than before the day phase ended when he claimed? (I'd assume it's a day activation to block night chat and night activation to block day? These were the logistical questions I was hoping he'd touch). As it stands, it just felt like a pre-scripted, "look guys, I helped last night, you just don't know it!"

Trigger

Honestly, I was thinking Topo was going to be an actual cop with his insistence that he must live. A one shot block of scum chat is useful,but not to the degree that I was hoping a role claim like Oracle would be.

Also, I'm not convinced of Flux's explanation of his behavior. If he's really town he should be using his time (however limited) to press his suspects or help town. Screwing around and being defensive isn't very sporting for a team mate.

VOTE:FluxWaveZ

The difference between Blarg and I is that my gambits actually work

(I'd say shots fired but batman doesn't use guns)

You got yourself killed in NX and nearly led a mislynch to lose Love Boat.

I mean, you can fire all the shots you want, but eventually you need to be able to shoot the broad side of a barn or you're just making noise.

Not that I know how to gambit. My best work is saying "so it was you what done it then?" Until they say yes and ask what they did.

El Topo

Well I kind of want him to clarify the power a bit but why wouldn't he use it to block night chat? Wouldn't screwing them up when they are coordinating night actions be a better use of the power? People also tossed around that he'd have to use it right away since he claimed, what better use right away than before the day phase ended when he claimed? (I'd assume it's a day activation to block night chat and night activation to block day? These were the logistical questions I was hoping he'd touch). As it stands, it just felt like a pre-scripted, "look guys, I helped last night, you just don't know it!"

1. I cannot block D1/N1 communication. It's specifically stated in my Role PM.
2. I decided to use the power, because I was not sure I would survive.
3. As you correctly guessed, if used during the day, night communication is blocked.
4. I still think blocking day communication is useful, as it is the time of the day where they have to act publicly.

El Topo

A one shot block of scum chat is useful,but not to the degree that I was hoping a role claim like Oracle would be.

I would like to make this clear: The role PM never said my power was one-shot. That's something that was revealed to me when roy sent me a PM about how my hack was successful.

Karkador

Banned
You got yourself killed in NX and nearly led a mislynch to lose Love Boat.

Getting yourself killed in NX is kind of a good thing. Actually, dying in mafia is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're town. Anyhow, I did manage to correctly identify some people- they just didn't listen to me.

Also, that's a pretty limited and rather pointed view of everything I did in Love Boat.

But how would you know about all this if you're pretty new to the community, and also busy in a game while LB was going on? Discussed it in the scum chat?

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

FluxWaveZ (4)
Fireblend .914
Xamtheking .1101
weemadarthur .1160
Trigger .1171

Camjo-Z (1)
LaunchpadMcQ .909

Pop-O-Matic (1)
FluxWaveZ .917

Karu (1)
Sorian .1024

Coppanuva (0)
Sorian .907 .1024

No active vote for Day 2:
Camjo-Z
Coppanuva
El Topo
Karkador
Karu
Mazre
Pop-O-Matic
TL21xx
Ty4on

Day 2 ends:
bla_1459544400.png

9 votes for majority

Karu

For those curious about the votes:
Mazre voted Flux after the first tie had been broken, voted Kark to break his second tier and went back Flux at the very end.
Flux-Kark-Flux
Xam started at Flux, voted Topo after the second tie had been broken and then back to Flux after Topo's claim
Flux-Topo-Flux

Pop and Flame both started on Topo and voted Flux after Topo's claim. Flame first voted Kark after Topo's claim, but jumped to Flux just after that.
Fire voted Flux to break Kark's first tie and stayed there.
Topo-(Kark)-Flux

Flux selfvoted after Topo's claim and unvoted just after Kark tied again.
Flux-unvote

Topo voted for Flux some time after his claim.
-Flux
Camjo voted Topo after his claim.

TheGoddamn, Karu and Coppa all voted on someone else this whole time.
Ty4on, Sorian and TL21xx stayed on Flux this whole time.
Wee, SkyOdin and Trigger stayed on Topo this whole time.
If you're Scum why would you even partake in such flip flop madness at the end of Day's end? To come to the rescue of one of your mates no matter what... with all scum still being well and good? To cause confusion? Eh.

Trigger

Why are you on Flux today when you voted Topo yesterday?
From your reasoning it doesn't sound like you trust Topo either.

I was targeting someone who didn't seem particularly helpful to town yesterday, and I wasn't willing to switch up my vote on a last minute role claim. Flux's behavior seemed pretty darn scummy this day phase, but I suppose in hindsight it was probably more the actions of a disinterested player.

roytheone

Everyone was busy with the discussion about who next to send into one of Riddler's death traps totally fair puzzle rooms, when suddenly a voice interrupted them!

"Hey guys, While frisking SkyOdin his body, I found this letter!"

"ehm, why were you frisking a dead body?"

"Eh.......uh..........um.......Lets read the letter, shall we!"

You all really don't cut newbies any slack, do you? I was hoping it would last longer, but it was really fun for the one day phase I got to play.

Camjo-Z

For what it's worth SkyOdin, I was suspecting you as mafia, which means you were clearly playing the towniest game possible.

In regards to Camjo-Z
I know, I'm beating a dead horse here
, I'm not sure if I missed it mentioned, but his behavior has been rather strange. So, he uses the override on Flame on Day 1. What's curious is that Topo was afraid to die Day/Night 1, so he got trigger happy and used his ability early. Why would Camjo, a player who says he thought he had a BP role, do the same?

Trigger

My first game I was all over the place and got lynched Day 2 (or 3?). I'm pretty sure he was much better in his one day of playing.

Camjo-Z

In regards to Camjo-Z
I know, I'm beating a dead horse here
, I'm not sure if I missed it mentioned, but his behavior has been rather strange. So, he uses the override on Flame on Day 1. What's curious is that Topo was afraid to die Day/Night 1, so he got trigger happy and used his ability early. Why would Camjo, a player who says he thought he had a BP role, do the same?

Again, don't know if the override ability stacks with the BP ability. In fact I very much doubt it would have, which is why I wanted to use it early.

Sorian

Banned
unfortunately,FluxWaveZ has decided to drop out of the game. A replacement will be sought asap.

:/ Sorry to hear that Flux, hope all is well.

1. I cannot block D1/N1 communication. It's specifically stated in my Role PM.
2. I decided to use the power, because I was not sure I would survive.
3. As you correctly guessed, if used during the day, night communication is blocked.
4. I still think blocking day communication is useful, as it is the time of the day where they have to act publicly.

Heavily convenient again but then, this role will always be convenient as there is no proof. The bolded does make it so your actions make sense again though.

Sorian

Banned
Alright, we can't let ourselves drop activity just because the Flux target is gone now. So, we need to start pushing around some stuff. This is good because I think today was going to be too focused on Flux but now we can actually look at what's hiding. Day 1, I let people get on their feet so I don't harp on inactivity too much but we are past that opening phase now, people who are missing do need to be dragged into the light now.

TL21xx, Coppa, Karu, Pop, Mazre, and Trigger are the most inactive looking at post count (I'm not using post count as a negative point, just as a tool to make sure I don't miss any inactives). I want to put Launch on here as well, he has been up and about since the day started but we have to remember that he was filling shoes for someone else and Goddamn didn't do much of anything on day 1. From that list, I've already been interested in Coppa and Karu. Coppa has at least been more engaged today, both dogging Trigger a bit and questioning Topo's claim. Karu, I'm waiting to see if he steps up or continues to hang out in the back.

Trigger and TL21 has pretty much cruised in the background from my perspective. Trigger I knew about, I'm actually surprised to see TL so low on activity, I thought he had said much more than he actually had but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Pop is busy until the last 24 hours of this day phase I guess? I'll give that a pass for now but this is a shorter game, that situation needs to be handled at some point.

Mazre has been coasting on his day 1 "gambit" I gave it a pass day 1 because I wanted to see how he played to gauge better what kind of gambit this was but that is impossible to do since he has done hardly anything since then. I'm pretty sure the entirety of his posts today have been jokey again. I'm beginning to wonder if he is taking advantage of his early "mistake" because we focused on it but eventually nothing came of it and so he might feel like he has to do nothing else.

Launch is Launch, I'm just watching. I think it's odd that he went hyperfocused on a very specific type of neutral out the gate but I said the same last night, I'm glad the theory is out there, it may end up being true and I don't know that I would have thought about it.

Fireblend

Banned
It does suck that Flux dropped out. Kind of feels like the final nail in the coffin of Day 1's usefulness :p and of course I wish we'd have seen where Flux was going with his behavior.

Ah well.

Xam, you seem a bit too willing to go with the flow and agree with whatever we're all deciding to do. If you want to go after Karu, feel free to go dig for arguments.

Trigger feels a bit too willing to let Flux go, but then again his voting record makes it difficult to after him for that. Flux did pick up a bit of a bandwagon right before he dropped out though, maybe that'll be eventually useful.

Launch I feel is going for some unconventional theories but they're not particularly bothering. I highly doubt the recruitment/flipping mechanics theories and wish the effort was spent somewhere else, but at least he's being active.

I will echo the worries about Pop and TL's inactivity.

Top Bottom