• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Sorian

Banned
Kark is claiming Batman? I thought that was weird flavor in his posts.

I'm taking this as his official claim, yes:

Well, I don't want to give away whatever you're planning; I can certainly respect gambits and expeirments. But as this is still a mafia game, you're probably asking me to trust you with one of two things:

1) My role or alignment
2) My life

I don't care if see the first one. The information is already out there.

The second one, though...

It's like half a step away from, "yes, I am batman and it should have been obvious with how much I was role playing it"

Karkador

Banned
Also, I asked to "show me" because I just made that huge post with a bunch of citations.

Anyway, the qualifier of "who most argued for El Topo's lynch" is somewhat irrelevant to the question of whether scum jumped on the Topo bus. SkyOdin being Town doesn't mean everyone who came after him is Town. And it doesn't dismiss that the reason Trigger looks most suspicious to me is it that he offered the least reasoning.

Ty4on

Mazre, I want your thoughts on the batcomputer and Kark. Why did it grow on you yesterday?
Really anything you got. I don't know much about you.

VOTE: Mazre

Sorian

Banned
Also, I asked to "show me" because I just made that huge post with a bunch of citations.

Anyway, the qualifier of "who most argued for El Topo's lynch" is somewhat irrelevant to the question of whether scum jumped on the Topo bus. SkyOdin being Town doesn't mean everyone who came after him is Town. And it doesn't dismiss that the reason Trigger looks most suspicious to me is it that he offered the least reasoning.

I was more point that the person arguing to test the bat computer was Sky, I'm aware that you are voting for Trigger because he sheeped that vote, Camjo either is not aware of that or was asking an unrelated question.

Camjo-Z

I was more point that the person arguing to test the bat computer was Sky, I'm aware that you are voting for Trigger because he sheeped that vote, Camjo either is not aware of that or was asking an unrelated question.

I know why he's voting Trigger, I just don't think his batcomputer theory is sound because I can't see mafia trying to utilize it. They knew it was fake, and they know Kark is a gambit man who will be scrutinizing anything to do with the list, so why would they even bother with it?

Depends where he is in the story. Super corrupt sometimes, other times he is a light-hearted buffoon that is best buds with robin.

So he falls into the large batch of batman characters whose alignment is not obvious.

That's not a role claim that will convince me Launch is town.

Mazre

Kark and the batcomputer were an amusing diversion in a rather slow first day. As to Kark's actual goals, could honestly go either way. Town Kark may just be throwing anything at the wall to see what sticks. I wouldn't put it past scum Kark to frame himself and claim it in the thread outright. Kark strikes me as the the type of player who has no line he won't cross gambit wise.

Sorian

Banned
So he falls into the large batch of batman characters whose alignment is not obvious.

You have to remember that the idea here is hero vs. villain. Anti-heroes are probably still the town side. I wouldn't really call his character a villain just a dick sometimes.

Kark and the batcomputer were an amusing diversion in a rather slow first day. As to Kark's actual goals, could honestly go either way. Town Kark may just be throwing anything at the wall to see what sticks. I wouldn't put it past scum Kark to frame himself and claim it in the thread outright. Kark strikes me as the the type of player who has no line he won't cross gambit wise.

I'd like you to generate a quality reads list of all players. You have provided nothing but jokes and an unnecessary role claim so far.

Isn't he rather corrupt? I think they're using him on Gotham?

No. I'm going to have to stop you there. Bullock isn't portrayed as corrupt in most interpretations of the character. Gotham is a bad indication of most anything to do with Batman, so I would say throw what you learned from that show out the window. This is the Bullock that curses costumed crimefighters and thinks the police can and should be doing a better job. I think the worst he ever got was becoming an alcoholic and attempting suicide. Point is, he's a good guy.

However, no, you shouldn't take my roleclaim at face value. I wouldn't.

Karkador

Banned
I know why he's voting Trigger, I just don't think his batcomputer theory is sound because I can't see mafia trying to utilize it. They knew it was fake, and they know Kark is a gambit man who will be scrutinizing anything to do with the list, so why would they even bother with it?

They couldn't be sure if it was fake. Although they would know it wasn't 100% accurate ( that much, I think, would be very unlikely), there was some truth to it. The most probable place I would have hidden "the truth" would have been El Topo, which was the singled out name. On the other hand, maybe El Topo IS the mafia member on the list.

But that observation isn't in a vacuum.

You voted on El Topo, complete with a passable justification, just 3 minutes before overriding Flame AC. 3 minutes. It probably took you 3 minutes just to turn around and type the override post.

Your vote on El Topo is a complete farce. It's there to make an appearance, and my wager is that you did the override to protect Topo.

Fireblend

Banned
Uhh, alright.

I feel like I'm getting marked for death with all these townie reads. In that sense I feel like my more hostile playstyle in Princess was maybe doing a better job of keeping me alive, but then again I had an override there :p

Anyway, Kark, you've sold me on your theory. First of all, I don't see how people didn't see the list as what it was right away; I mean, some pretended to be sure it was random, but it's almost like they all eventually broke down and allowed it to mean something to them and the game. It pretty much broke Xam, and the fact that SkyOdin was somewhat invested in proving it only lends more credence to that, so I believe you speak the truth about the intent of the list, and that people reacted to it - those two are my premises. Based on those, the assumption that scum killed Odin in order to discredit the list, for example, makes tons of sense.

So, I want to believe you're right and that those sorts of reads can be made on a game of mafia. And due to his actions lately, I can totally see trigger being scum from your posts and general deduction.

However! I believe we have juicier targets at our disposal. I would argue at least Xam, TL and Coppa (less universally so) are better lynch targets for the day and will be voted on more easily. That sounds like not wanting to be greedy, but specially the first two have been more than dodging every single question thrown in their direction for the better part of the day, maybe even yesterday, and if we lynched either and they flipped scum, I'd be pretty convinced of the Oracle role because quite honestly, they both are acting like lost scum. Heck, even Mazre is acting like that. Maybe we had a scum team full of weak players that was only supporting itself through its unity and now that communication's been disrupted individually it's too afraid to move. Makes sense for how badly they are playing. I'd be happy to be shown otherwise, by the way.

Vote: Trigger

Just trying it on for size.

Karkador

Banned
Nobody is asking him to copy paste it, we're asking him to stop acting like a role PM doesn't clearly state what your role does.

TL21xx

Banned
Alright guys, first off I do want to once again apologise for how long it took me to get this post up. I'm usually able to get online around 4 before I have to take my brothers to downtown Austin for their Japanese class, but traffic made things complicated and as a result I had to put this off until this evening. Let's get this started.

I noticed Kark's claim during dinner and wanted to get my vote off of him ASAP. I do find his claim believable, as all throughout I've thought that he is either playing scum or is breadcrumbing heavily that he is the Goddamn BatmanTM. The batcomputer “nonsense” rubbed me the wrong way on day 1, but his explanation does make a good deal of sense. It was a very good move in retrospect, but it did seem odd at the time, as I was unsure why one would choose to be so bold on the first day.

What rubbed me the wrong way about Kark so far today is how defensive he played against Sorian today, and his choice to continue pressing the Camjo thing. I've gone at length on my stance on that, so I'm going to spare you all from the details. Just look back to thispost for my thoughts on that. As I said earlier, I was mostly voting to press Kark to talk about something else. He has. And with that he has put my concerns that gave me a scum read at rest for now. He is walking on thin ice with this claim, so I believe we can trust him. Either way, it's a gutsy move.

That was the main point I was wanting to make earlier, but since we've resolved that, I want to turn our attention towards Mazre's real lack of content in his posts. All I've seen from him is bandwagonning off of Launch and safe reads, as seen here:

I'm with you Launch

VOTE: Camjo-z

El Topo - WIFOM , if he's lying it's brilliant and the bit about misreading his role PM is genius. Leaning town

Camjo-z - suspect to me, play is either malicious or misguided

Kark x Sorian - tedious, glad that bit is over with

top town - fireblend and weemad

On top of this, his response to weemadarthur on providing a reads list is very offputting. However, that does lead me to WeeMad... While he's pushing Mazre very well, he seems to be under the radar on most peoples' lists so far. I do think he's doing good work today over all, see his attempts here:

I'm here voting for Mazre.

I'm sure glad you think I'm town, that worked out great for skyodin. XD

I was willing to cut Xam some slack on Day One. Xam, why aren't you participating yourself? Give me a decent reads list and not that null crap.

Karkador, your reads list yesterday had a bunch of question marks instead of 'stars'. How are you feeling about those people now?

Pop, since this is a shorter game, should we policy lynch you rather than waiting for you to put us off again in the last 24 hours of the day phase?

TL, looks like you've given us...like 2 bits of original thought. Got any more?

So while I am actually getting some town vibes from him, I am a little concerned that he is not being pressed as hard.

That all being said, let's go back to this:

Top scum for me are Kark and Mazre. I also have soft scum reads from Launch and Xam. I'm on mobile right now, so I will try to get to a keyboard to elaborate on them, but in addition to Xam's silence and relatively low key read list, Launch's posts during Sorian and Kark's slap fight gave me an odd vibe. That could well be my general dislike of how much time was spent dissecting Camjo's claim, so I am not as confident on Launch's alignment.

We've already covered Kark, so that goes out the window. Let's talk about Launchpad...

First off, since I originally posted, he has claimed a name. If that is a serious name drop, that's a strangely obscure reference. I really don't have a clue what his role would actually be.
He goes into detail here on it:

Actually, the rest needs answering too, it seems.

2. Too soon to tell.
3. Yes, that's true.
4. Not nullified. I corrected you last time, I'll correct you again. It will affect the behavior of scum, therefore the outcome of the action.
5. Yes, that's true.

And that would check out, since there's an obvious name to go with the cop role. More than that, he has also posted this:

Kark and I have a bond. That may sound silly and may implicate us, but I give him the benefit of the doubt when I see him acting like a goofball.

I took a potshot at Camjo's post. I don't even remember reading the rest of it, to be honest, because I look past Karkador's silliness as the reaction-baiting that it is. If you want to talk about his voting shenanigans, by all means.

So, all I need now is confirmation from Kark that this is legit. The sooner we get this resolved, the more comfortable I will be with this situation.

So yes, my entire megapost ended up going down the tubes while I was gone. It happens when you reread the thread, and that's a hell of a lot easier to do off of mobile. For now, here's my vote:

Vote: Mazre

I would also be down with a trigger vote if he doesn't speak up soon.

Sorian

Banned
Yes. Shortly.

67642104.jpg

-------

Anyway, no shit that Camjo is probably lying on part of his role PM. Revelation of the century right there, the question you should be asking is why.

As far as Trigger goes, don't anticipate me changing my vote there. I'm not feeling that lynch. Call it gut but I've led a lynch on town Trigger before, his attitude towards weemad earlier to the stalking felt exactly the same. Trigger seems to be very tone deaf to scummy things, reminds me of StarSketch a bit in that regard. There are better targets.

TL21xx

Banned
And I just realized my Goddamn Batman™ formatting got messed up during the copy/paste from the word doc... Sad day. =/

Karkador

Banned
67642104.jpg

-------

Anyway, no shit that Camjo is probably lying on part of his role PM. Revelation of the century right there, the question you should be asking is why.

Alright, Mr. "Camjo is 99.9 percent Town". Backpedaling now, and acting like you were on top of it all along?

Sorian

Banned
Alright, Mr. "Camjo is 99.9 percent Town". Backpedaling now, and acting like you were on top of it all along?

Camjo is town? I just made a post about this earlier today. Please read the thread:

Splitting the vote between Camjo and whoever we end up actually lynching. I'm sure at day end we will be sitting between two candidates again, maybe 3 if we are feeling really frisky, and you want to add in a small subset to another person which A) let's people sit out of the vote on day 2 where scum can still hide within votes fairly easily (making it even easier on them) and B) with enough splitting of the vote, Camjo can become an easy lynch to last minute fuckery. We've already lost voting records for day one until such a time that we actually see Topo or Flux's flip so I'd like day 2's vote to actually hold full weight which this kind of pulls away from.

And this is a mayor/something else maybe. I know this is a shocker but all we know is that he overrode something, did it ever occur to you (because it did to me and I thought this might be at least a question in others minds but everyone is just taking his word at gospel) that Camjo is bluffing? Look at his claim again, he gives us weird flavor and then ends it with "hey, maybe I'm bulletproof, yeah baby!" So yes, maybe he is hiding that he is an activated serial killer or, he tacked on extra to his role as people tend to do and he was just the mayor/governor and that's it, and with his override, he thought he would be considered verified town and now wanted to add on that he might be bulletproof so that scum would have to dance with WIFOM if they wanted to night kill him. That's why the talk on poking at Camjo was irritating me. He's not a good choice to lynch today and it's just a rash decision, what he gave us in his claim was stupid and completely unneeded, he could have just said he was the governor but no, he went out of his way to say more that then ended up with us thinking he might be a scum recruit or could turn into a SK or something. Why even claim all that? I was trying to see if I could distract away from that thought so then scum would have to dick around with what to do during their night kills but I guess I'll spell it out instead.

I'll just respond to this. I get shit on a lot for my play, not here in particular but in general. I post too much, I jump in to answer questions for others, I inadvertently make it harder for others to scum hunt (this is a debatable point, some things I do allow me to scum hunt better even if it might hurt someone else's radar a bit). So my insistence of dropping the Camjo thing was some weird pulling apart of these two ideas of how I want to play and how the community tells me to play to be less annoying. I think this pulling a part was a bit too obvious because I wanted to just say, he might not actually be bulletproof and this shit is a lie but then I also thought that would demolish the possible gambit he was running. Hence, the disconnect where you think you are doing your due diligence of pressing and I think I'm doing a service by telling everyone to back off and we deal with this in a later day phase.

Dropping the pretense though, I think it's clear that he posted way more than he would have if he actually thought that his real role was a detriment to town. If he had any inkling that his role/win condition might change, he would have left it at the override which spoke for itself and that would have been that so I'm firmly in the camp that this was a lie to confuse scum which had the unintended effect of throwing even more fuel on the fire caused from overriding a random civilian. Luckily, I'm hardly an authority on these things so while that is what I believe, I also know that I could be 100% wrong and thus, nothing really changes because scum still doesn't know what to do with Camjo.

So yes, I know you live in fantasy land where governor roles are all super scummy but I like to check into reality a bit from time to time.

Karkador

Banned
I didn't understand you posts, tbh. It's what happens when your goal is to talk the game into submission rather than get a point across.

Camjo-Z

Uh huh. Also, this act you're putting on about not knowing what your role actually does is a bunch of crap.

I really don't understand why anyone would think I'm lying. I have nothing to gain from faking my role PM. Like, apparently you all think I'm smart enough to have some crazy hidden agenda, but you choose to ignore the fact that I've picked the least optimal plays to achieve my supposed goals. According to Kark I'm scum who chose the least useful scum target at the end of the day to save a maf buddy who wasn't going to die anyway, when I could have chosen anyone and played it off as a gut read. According to Launchpad I'm a killing neutral who knows he's a killing neutral but for some reason told town about this at all instead of just keeping it a secret and claiming Dick Grayson/Nightwing or something instead. It's time to grab Occam's Razor and shave those gnarly beards, y'all.

Also, Karkerdoodledoo, even if a vote doesn't matter in terms of who ends up getting lynched doesn't always mean it can't provide information later. Look at PW, where we had a vote-stealer. The guy who lost his vote could still vote with no weight behind it in order to paint a picture of who he/she thought was scum.
Or we have the 2nd possibility of Camjo having no idea what he was doing as a neutral
Or he could be scum, but I doubt that

Karkador

Banned
Yes, it was. Flux was clearly in the lead when I clicked "Submit Reply" at the very last second.

Not really, but I find it hard to believe you'd know in between typing up a post to go along with voting on Topo, and then typing up a post to flaunt your override.

Like, even if you're telling the truth that you were acting solely in the interest of saving Flux, it makes no sense to doom one player over another when you supposedly knew nothing about either.

Any chance of you giving us some decent reads?
*checks clock*
FORUM MAFIA POWERS ACTIVATE
For some reason I play and think my best around midnight local time
Top Town:
Sorian and Fireblend - They haven't changed much since my last list
Karkador - I no longer want to strangle him and instead see him as a very intelligent Town player who is capable of rational thought and who doesn't bring up Xamxiety every single page
El Topo - Power fits with his name, and his first post on D2 helped seal the deal for me.

Top Scum:
Mazre - Again, he's still scummy to me, not much has changed
Trigger - Work in progress right now, need to spend more time re-reading the thread.

Camjo-Z

Not really, but I find it hard to believe you'd know in between typing up a post to go along with voting on Topo, and then typing up a post to flaunt your override.

Like, even if you're telling the truth that you were acting solely in the interest of saving Flux, it makes no sense to doom one player over another when you supposedly knew nothing about either.

I already had the Flame post pre-written in case I wanted to use the power. It's not like I picked him at the last second on a whim. The Topo post was written in the moment. And, through the magical power of multiple tabs and the F5 button, I was able to see exactly how the vote was going down right up until I posted. Truly shocking, I know.

Also, dooming one player over another when you know nothing concrete about either is the entire point of mafia. Back to the drawing board with you.

Fireblend

Banned
Work in progress right now, need to spend more time re-reading the thread.

God dammit ever since Sorian said that stuff about this kind of statement being suspicious I can't unsee them. They're going to become an inside joke like the "boarding a train be back later" thing now, aren't they?

Today I want to lynch an inactive.

Those, imo, are
Mazre, may have quantity but not quality
Popomatic, he said he'd be back by now
Xam, same as Mazre, despite his reads just there. He's been hanging around to joke but mostly not playing

Fluxwavez, but yeah....that's Probably not going to fly with people while the role is empty

Karu is middling, I feel like he has contributed barely minimally but should review again

Previously inactive were
TL
Coppanuva
Trigger

But they've contributed more on day two. I'll need to check over the content again before making a solid read, but if they're participating I'm willing to look elsewhere today.

Top Bottom