• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn: Washington's Spies - Season 3 - Mondays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

'TURN: Washington's Spies' takes viewers into the stirring and treacherous world of the Revolutionary War and introduces Abraham Woodhull who, after aligning with a group of childhood friends, forms the Culper Ring -- America's first spy ring.

In this year’s 10-episode season, Benedict Arnold will be seduced to turn spy for the British during 1778. Meanwhile, Abe Woodhull continues his own secrecy on behalf of George Washington. With one man implanted amongst the loyalists and the other embedded within the Continental Army, the spy game is to take a suspenseful turn, as it becomes a race to see which mole is unmasked first—with the hangman’s noose waiting as either traitor’s reward.

The third season premieres on Monday, April 25 at 10/9c.

The first two seasons are available for streaming on Netflix.

Cast

5BhSNoc.jpg

• Jamie Bell as Abraham Woodhull
  • Daniel Henshall as Caleb Brewster
  • Meegan Warner as Mary Woodhull
  • Seth Numrich as Ben Talmadge
  • Heather Lind as Anna Strong
  • Angus Macfadyen as Robert Rogers
  • JJ Feild as Major John Andre
  • Kevin McNally as Judge Richard Woodhull
  • Samuel Roukin as Lt. John Simcoe
  • Burn Gorman as Major Hewlett
  • Ian Kahn as General George Washington
  • Owain Yeoman as Benedict Arnold
  • Ksenia Solo as Peggy Shippen
  • Nick Westrate as Robert Townsend
  • Idara Victor as Abigail
  • John Carroll Lynch as James Rivington

Videos

Season 3 Trailer
The Cast and Crew Give a Look at Season 3
Sneak Peek at a Lavish New Location

Photos

QQeTjKg.jpg

9sP0Lyj.jpg

6cz5tFg.jpg

MrflyAK.jpg

Ratings

Season One:

Episode 1 - 2.12 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2 - 1.87 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 3 - 1.40 million 0.4 A18-49
Episode 4 - 1.29 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 5 - 1.23 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 6 - 1.08 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 7 - 1.09 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 8 - 1.39 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 9 - 1.16 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 10 - 1.60 million 0.4 A18-49

Season Two:

Episode 1 & 2 - 827K 0.2 A19-49
Episode 3 - 865K 0.2 A19-49
Episode 4 - 591K 0.1 A18-49
Episode 5 - 631K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 6 - 741K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 7 - 760K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 8 - 723K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 9 - 883K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 10 - 933K 0.3 A18-49

Season Three:

Episode 1 - 471K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2 - 458K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 3 - 580K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4 - 504K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 5 - 603K 0.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 6 - 591K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 7 - 599K 0.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 8 - 572K 0.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 9 - 614K 0.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 10 - 665K 0.2 A18-49 rating

I didn't even realize this series was still going. Liked the first few episodes but haven't caught up since. Hope writing is still good.

LQX

Have to say I find this show so damn fucking boring but my DVR keeps recording it so I keep watching it.

Matticers

I love this series. Maybe it's because I have a fondness for history and this period in time but I think it's great. Can't wait for the new season to start.

If you haven't seen it but you're into the revolutionary war era, definitely watch a few episodes on Netflix or whatever.

demolitio

This show has gotten a lot better since season 1 so I'm glad I didn't give up on it like I originally planned to do.

I just hope they change history by having a bald eagle come out of nowhere and fuck Benedict Arnold up. Fine, I don't want that to happen since it's one of the few interesting plots...

dabig2

I didn't even know season 2 was a thing. I thought after the really low ratings of S1 that it had been cancelled *I don't watch much live television these days so never saw commercials nor do I know the network schedules*

Hmm, maybe I'll catch up. Thought the 1st season was OK and we don't get a lot of media about all the spy shit going on in this era.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season premiere is tonight:

Valediction

In the third-season premiere, Abe covers up a murder with an unlikely accomplice. Elsewhere, Benedict Arnold abuses his power as he settles into a new home in Philadelphia.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This show has never really known how to make exciting premieres so I can't say I'm surprised that this one was just okay. I did enjoy seeing Mary participating more actively in the spy game though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The third season premiered with only 471K viewers, which is almost half of the season 2 premiere (827K). For reference, season 1 averaged 1.4 million viewers per episode, L+SD, and season 2 averaged 772K viewers.

I know AMC only cares about the delayed viewing numbers, but unless there's a massive increase, I can't see why AMC would stick with the show for another season. It's failed to build an audience and critics don't even acknowledge its existence. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it attracts one of the most affluent audiences on TV, but I don't know exactly how valuable that is.

(I've said this for the past two years though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There was a new episode last night:

Cold Murdering Bastards

Anna tries to save the ring after Abe's cover is blown; and Benedict Arnold seeks Washington's help against charges of treason. Meanwhile, Townsend sends a signal.

Anyone watch?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm surprised the ending of last week's episode stuck - I figured they'd find a way to make the twist of Richard telling Hewlett that Abe is a spy into a red herring or a fakeout or something. So that was a pretty big development. Also, it looks like Simcoe isn't long for this world, which is probably for the best from a plot perspective, but I'll definitely miss him if he does go. The actor is a lot of fun to watch and his character is delightfully obnoxious.

Bandit1

Well looks like there's only a few of us left. Just caught up on this season, still enjoying the show. I wonder if they'll actually kill Simcoe and how things will play out with Abe, Hewlett, and Anna.

Bandit1

Since Ratsky was a day behind last week, I'm going to give this a go =P

New episode tonight!

Benediction

Peggy manipulates Benedict Arnold into contacting the British. Caleb sets an ambush for Simcoe. Anna tries to save Major Hewlett's life.

Am I doing it right??

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was better than the last two. The developments were fairly interesting and it actually held my attention throughout.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight

Hearts and Minds

Ben is rescued by a mysterious woman; Abe tries to stop Anna from marrying Hewlett; and Arnold begins negotiations with the British. Meanwhile, Andre betrays Peggy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a pretty good episode. I wonder if that's really it for Anna and Hewlett?

Also, lol @ the sex scene between Ben and that widow. He was shot in the abdomen and yet, like, a day later he's rolling around in bed with her?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Hypocrisy, Fraud, and Tyranny

Townsend uncovers a British counterfeiting operation; and Rogers threatens to destroy Abe's spying ring. Meanwhile, Simcoe threatens Richard.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know why I thought Anna might be off the show - of course she'd go straight back to Ben and Caleb's camp and try to get a new start there...

Anyway, I thought that was another pretty good one. This season has had a lot more forward momentum than previous seasons.

I'm pretty much posting here only because I'm curious about watching this on Netflix... should I bother?

Are you asking whether to watch the series, or season 3, assuming you've watched the first two?

wait turn got a season 3? did this improved on season 2?

I think so. Not by a huge margin, mind, but an improvement nonetheless.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Many Mickles Make a Muckle

Washington attends Benedict Arnold's ball in Philadelphia; and Abe races to stop Rogers before he reaches Townsend. Meanwhile, old friends and enemies intersect.

Redd

That was a pretty good episode. I wonder if that's really it for Anna and Hewlett?

I hope not. I really like Major Hewlett and he's not a bad person like Simcoe but just on the British side in the war. Even the relationship between Anna and Hewlett grew on me. In fact the characters I like the least are Abraham and his wife.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really like Major Hewlett and he's not a bad person like Simcoe but just on the British side in the war. Even the relationship between Anna and Hewlett grew on me.

Hewlett was cool but I feel like he outlived his usefulness, narratively speaking. Early on he was one of the only non cartoonishly villainous Brits, but I feel like they've done a fair job of rectifying that since season 1.

In fact the characters I like the least are Abraham and his wife.

I don't mind Mary at all but Abe is one of the least interesting lead characters I've ever seen on a TV show. Jamie Bell has almost no screen presence and the writers doesn't seem particularly interested in making Abe into a more dynamic character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Judgment

Mary tries to kill Simcoe on her own; and Benedict Arnold defends himself in his own court-martial. Meanwhile, Ben reunites with the woman who saved his life.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oooooh Mary trying to kill Simcoe could be interesting.

And so it was! I actually thought it was one of the most exciting sequences they've ever done on the show. All in all, I think I'd say that was the best episode of the season.

I doubt she'll be able to pull it off though. Seems like everybody has tried and failed lol.

Mary went HAM, bless her, but somehow still came up short. I'm starting to think Simcoe is invulnerable...(not that I'm complaining. He's by far the most entertaining character on the show.)

Bandit1

And so it was! I actually thought it was one of the most exciting sequences they've ever done on the show. All in all, I think I'd say that was the best episode of the season.

Mary went HAM, bless her, but somehow still came up short. I'm starting to think Simcoe is invulnerable...(not that I'm complaining. He's by far the most entertaining character on the show.)

I have to agree, probably the best episode of the season. A lot of tension throughout. The way Simcoe took that shot I thought she really killed him. That shot put him down pretty hard. Putting the Rangers on Caleb's trail was pretty risky but it seems to have paid off. But she probably should have took that knife out of that dude's chest and ran upstairs to finish Simcoe lol.

Redd

Ohhh going by the preview it looks like
Major Hewlett is in the next episode. My three favorite characters are Simcoe, Rodgers, and Major Hewlett. Ahh yeah.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Mended

The Culper Ring is resurrected in time to save Washington's army; and Simcoe terrorizes Setauket as he hunts for Rogers. Meanwhile, Anna infiltrates New York.

Bandit1

Ohhh going by the preview it looks like
Major Hewlett is in the next episode. My three favorite characters are Simcoe, Rodgers, and Major Hewlett. Ahh yeah.

You Tory! JK they're all good characters.

I think I might have missed something last episode. Was Anna supposed to get some kind of information or feed false information to Hewlett? And she didn't follow through?

Redd

You Tory! JK they're all good characters.

I think I might have missed something last episode. Was Anna supposed to get some kind of information or feed false information to Hewlett? And she didn't follow through?

Lol, No it's not like that. They usually steal the scene whenever they're on. Though Abrahams wife went ham when she tried to finish Simcoe. I used to dislike her.

Bandit1

Lol, No it's not like that. They usually steal the scene whenever they're on. Though Abrahams wife went ham when she tried to finish Simcoe. I used to dislike her.

Lol yeah I got what you were saying. Simcoe and Rodgers are totally unpredictable which makes them fun to watch and you can't help but empathize with Hewlett. He's a nice guy caught up in an ugly war and the woman he loves leaves him at the altar because she's an American spy. Poor dude.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is tonight:

Blade on the Feather

Benedict Arnold plots to turn over West Point to the British; and Andre negotiates for Peggy. Meanwhile, Abe plots revolt in Setauket.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was pretty good! Things with Benedict Arnold came to a head in a satisfying fashion and it was fun to see Major Andre in such a dire situation - he's royally screwed now that he's been captured. I'm really looking forward to next week's finale.

Aw. I'm gonna miss Major Hewlett.

Also, once I remembered how this goes down historically, my first thought was, "Wow, Peggy Shipman really gets screwed in this situation."

Great episode. I loved everyone's reactions to hearing Arnold was a traitor.

Also, I noticed the ep was written by Alexander Rose, the author of the book on which the series is based.

Redd

That was pretty good! Things with Benedict Arnold came to a head in a satisfying fashion and it was fun to see Major Andre in such a dire situation - he's royally screwed now that he's been captured. I'm really looking forward to next week's finale.

Shame but he had it coming when his own countrymen turned on Robert Rogers. Oh well you just knew Major Hewlitt was gonna expose Abraham if he got out of Setauket alive. That's on Anna though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom