• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

jaina

Are there any 27" or larger IPS Gsync monitors that have multiple inputs? I'd like to have something that's easily switchable between my PC and my Macbook Pro.
you could get one with display port (for the PC) and HDMI (for the MBP), like the Acer XB271HU. I haven't seen one with 2 display port inputs yet.

DirtyLarry

Okay. I am a believer.
Crysis 3 @ 2560 x 1440 with all settings on Ultra minus AA and getting between 47 and 70 depending on the scene was truly something glorious. Not a single tear to be seen. Just was fan-fucking-tastic.

And while I am sure if I got an IPS it would be even that much more impressive, the TN panel on my Dell S2716DG looks pretty damn good to me. I saw no color differences at all sitting right in front of it, and even when I moved slightly to the left or right I saw nothing at all either. And this was out of the box not even calibrated. I am sure I can get it looking that much better.

While I was very hesitant to spend $500 on a monitor, I am very, very happy I decided to do so. Having 2560 is awesome. Having 2560 with no screen tearing is indeed god-level, just as the thread title suggests.

So quick technical question.
Generally speaking for games that do not support G-Sync as a menu option, do people enable or disable V-Sync? I noticed with Crysis 3 it did not matter if I did so or not. It was still the same FPS because of the G-Sync, so just wondering what the general rule of thumb is moving forward.

A Tip For Those Wondering If G-Sync is Working
Someone earlier in the thread was wondering if their G-Sync was even working.
I think it should be fairly obvious but in case it is not, if you go to the Nvidia Control Panel itself, choose any option under Select a Task > Display, doing that will give you a Display menu item at the top of the window. Under Display is an option for "G-Sync Indicator." If you enable that option (there will be a check mark next to it once you do), in game you will have a fugly icon indicator in the Top Left saying that G-Sync, is in fact, on or off.

Seriously G-Sync is amazing. To get rid of screen tearing completely no matter what the FPS is just amazing. For real.

Deathknell

So quick technical question.
Generally speaking for games that do not support G-Sync as a menu option, do people enable or disable V-Sync? I noticed with Crysis 3 it did not matter if I did so or not. It was still the same FPS because of the G-Sync, so just wondering what the general rule of thumb is moving forward.

You won't find any gsync option in games, just turn off vsync and you are good to go.

DirtyLarry

You won't find any gsync option in games, just turn off vsync and you are good to go.
Ahhh I thought I read that some games like Battlefront (actually swore I saw it the day I owned it before I returned it) and Battlefield had some sort of setting for G-Sync specifically?
If not good to know, will just always disable V-Sync, which makes sense considering the technology.

newsguy

Thanks for the impressions. I bit the bullet on the dell as well. I want to play dirt rally in 1440p so bad. It already looks amazing in 1080 .

DirtyLarry

Thanks for the impressions. I bit the bullet on the dell as well. I want to play dirt rally in 1440p so bad. It already looks amazing in 1080 .
Enjoy. I am really happy with my purchase. As I said I am sure having an IPS is even that much better, but considering what I had prior to this one, it is still a big step up.
One day when IPS's come down to the sub $400 price range, even if it is a few years from now, I will pick one up.
For now, this was an awesome upgrade.
The one and only thing that is taken some getting used to is having so much resolution for the OS itself. Not sure if my 41 year old eyes can handle it. I have to look into scaling the desktop perhaps.

mcmanic

Dell S2716DG 144 g-sync
i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz, 
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 
 KFA2 GeForce GTX 980Ti "Hall of Fame 8Pack Approved Edition" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI­Express Graphics Card

cannot wait to arrive...

Iced

Anyone in here care to comment on brightness levels of the AOC G2460PG? I have to have my monitor on for a good hour or so before it calms down. Everything looks really blown out when I first turn it on. Wondering if this is how they all perform or if it's just mine. Not a dealbreaker by any means as I am very pleased with it, I just wish I didn't have to have it on for an extended period of time before it looks right. I've wasted lots of time trying to calibrate it, not knowing it was still "warming up", so to speak.

Iced

Vsync keeps turning itself on randomly in NCP. I never had this problem when I was using a regular 60Hz monitor, so I'm wondering if it's related to g-sync, or a current driver issue. I'm setting it globally, and every now and again I'll check my settings to find it has been switched on. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: I should mention I used Display Driver Uninstaller over the weekend and then did a clean install of the latest Nvidia driver, and the problem persists. I used to use Nvidia Inspector to force vsync globally, but I'm pretty sure those setting would be overrided by any changes I'd make in NCP, wouldn't they?

smuf

Good luck please do post an update

My monitor has arrived and the black light bleed seems to be in acceptable levels. I've compared it to my Apple Thunderbolt Display (which I've had for years and still looks really good) and it's about the same.

Colour-wise it seems a bit less accurate than my old Apple display but I haven't done any calibration on it yet.

Games look great and play like a dream.

Ronin Ray

My monitor has arrived and the black light bleed seems to be in acceptable levels. I've compared it to my Apple Thunderbolt Display (which I've had for years and still looks really good) and it's about the same.

Colour-wise it seems a bit less accurate than my old Apple display but I haven't done any calibration on it yet.

Games look great and play like a dream.

Nice its good to hear. Especially someone like me who's on the fence about spending this type of money on a monitor.

Thanks to DirtyLarry, I made the jump from the MX27AQ to the Dell S2176DG and couldn't be happier. The Asus will melt out your eyeballs and then make you sick when you turn the brightness down. This Dell is incredibly vibrant for a TN panel. The color production is nearly the same without all the negative effects. Then you have G-Sync which is awesome. On top of all of it is incredible build quality and the option to move/twist/tilt/raise the monitor is worth paying for.

DirtyLarry

So yeah, my hands on with Crysis the other day when my monitor arrived was awesome, but today, just playing 2 games, I can never go back to a non G-Sync monitor.

The new Unreal Tournament was just amazing. A thing of beauty with G-Sync. Responsiveness was truly like something I have never experienced prior.

And thanks to my free code from Nvidia for the 980Ti I also got to check out The Division. A game I happen to have played a pretty decent amount on my PS4. Holy Fucking Shit is all I will say with it. Most everything on Ultra or High with a native resolution of 2160 x 1440 and I said DAMN. Because everything is set so high depending on what is happening on screen I averaged between 55 and 75 FPS, but thanks to G-Sync it really did not matter. It felt smooth as a baby's behind.

Seriously I am a true believer. For real.

newsguy

So yeah, my hands on with Crysis the other day when my monitor arrived was awesome, but today, just playing 2 games, I can never go back to a non G-Sync monitor.

The new Unreal Tournament was just amazing. A thing of beauty with G-Sync. Responsiveness was truly like something I have never experienced prior.

And thanks to my free code from Nvidia for the 980Ti I also got to check out The Division. A game I happen to have played a pretty decent amount on my PS4. Holy Fucking Shit is all I will say with it. Most everything on Ultra or High with a native resolution of 2160 x 1440 and I said DAMN. Because everything is set so high depending on what is happening on screen I averaged between 55 and 75 FPS, but thanks to G-Sync it really did not matter. It felt smooth as a baby's behind.

Seriously I am a true believer. For real.

Got my Dell as well. We basically have the same exact setup. Never got that code tho!

DirtyLarry

Got my Dell as well. We basically have the same exact setup. Never got that code tho!
Yeah absolutely email them, you should have gotten the code. And I have to say The Division on our rig on the monitor we have may very well be the most impressive game so far. Just awesome.

I'd email them. It's worth it. Add me to Uplay and the three of us Dell/HP's can link up. Draughn101.
Just sent a friend request. Would love to have a similar level to team up with on The Division. No doubt.

http://i.imgur.com/JNnO47p.jpg

Got one at a local Media Markt. Wanted the Dell tbh, since it looks nicer, but 555€, which is almost the same price and the IPS panel, was waaaay too good of a deal to pass up.

Going up from this one http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005OPLFZ0/ lol

I had that exact BenQ, which is now my secondary screen next to my AOC G2460PG.

The xb270hu here during the time I bought the AOC is around 900. Fucking crazy.

So jelly at that price.

http://i.imgur.com/JNnO47p.jpg

Got one at a local Media Markt. Wanted the Dell tbh, since it looks nicer, but 555€, which is almost the same price and the IPS panel, was waaaay too good of a deal to pass up.

Going up from this one http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005OPLFZ0/ lol

I wish I got one of those instead of my xb281hk to be honest, even though 4k is very nice my main gripe with the thing is the stupid Predator type blades on the base. They are huge and get in the way.

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. Aside from the obvious fact that it lacks support for FreeSync (does any G-Sync panel actually support it ?) and that it isn't a widescreen panel, are there any negatives to it ? I will try to run games like Trackmania and other less demanding games on it in native resolution @ 144Hz with my 750Ti.

e90Mark

So I pulled the trigger and ordered a ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. Aside from the obvious fact that it lacks support for FreeSync (does any G-Sync panel actually support it ?) and that it isn't a widescreen panel, are there any negatives to it ? I will try to run games like Trackmania and other less demanding games on it in native resolution @ 144Hz with my 750Ti.

Other than what you listed, it's a TN panel, which could be a negative.

DirtyLarry

Thanks to DirtyLarry, I made the jump from the MX27AQ to the Dell S2176DG and couldn't be happier. The Asus will melt out your eyeballs and then make you sick when you turn the brightness down. This Dell is incredibly vibrant for a TN panel. The color production is nearly the same without all the negative effects. Then you have G-Sync which is awesome. On top of all of it is incredible build quality and the option to move/twist/tilt/raise the monitor is worth paying for.
Nice. I somehow missed that you posted this. Congrats! And I just installed the Creative Cloud over the weekend to give you feedback!! (Was not as easy as just installing it, it was already activated on another computer I had)
Anyway, it really is a great monitor for a TN panel. I am even wondering if the person that posted about the issues with Color Differences at different angles may have had a bum screen. As I have twisted and turned my head at multiple angles one would view it at and I really am not seeing any major shift in color at all. Like at all.

For those who do not want to make the commitment to IPS but still want G-Sync, I think they would be very, very happy with the Dell S2716DG. I know I am. The only downside I could see is a lack of advanced color options, however the color on this panel is really damn good, so not a ton of tweaking is necessary so it somewhat cancels the need out.

kuYuri

Asus PG348Q seems to finally be hitting retailers after it was quietly delayed from its supposed February release. My local Micro Center seems to have gotten them.

Nice. I somehow missed that you posted this. Congrats! And I just installed the Creative Cloud over the weekend to give you feedback!! (Was not as easy as just installing it, it was already activated on another computer I had)
Anyway, it really is a great monitor for a TN panel. I am even wondering if the person that posted about the issues with Color Differences at different angles may have had a bum screen. As I have twisted and turned my head at multiple angles one would view it at and I really am not seeing any major shift in color at all. Like at all.

For those who do not want to make the commitment to IPS but still want G-Sync, I think they would be very, very happy with the Dell S2716DG. I know I am. The only downside I could see is a lack of advanced color options, however the color on this panel is really damn good, so not a ton of tweaking is necessary so it somewhat cancels the need out.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I was afraid that I'd miss the discount so I quickly ordered one. It is awesome. This monitor rocks. IPS was a little prettier but the brightness was so extreme and lowering it instantly made me sick from the flicker. My wife is happy with the color representation on this screen as well. I picked up an Antec bias lighting kit from Amazon, and that's made it all the better in dark room scenarios.

I agree with the color shifting. Maybe we got great panels but it looks great no matter where my head is.

RevenWolf

I've been thinking of upgrading to a gsync monitor but it seems that here in Aus they're all extremely expensive :(

Can anyone recommend a decent cheaper one? Or is the only option to go ham and spend a shit ton?

Also which is more significant, gsync or 144fps?

I'm kinda new to monitors sorry.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a gsync monitor but it seems that here in Aus they're all extremely expensive :(

Can anyone recommend a decent cheaper one? Or is the only option to go ham and spend a shit ton?

Also which is more significant, gsync or 144fps?

I'm kinda new to monitors sorry.
Well, we had the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q for around 500 USD during a flash promotion. You probably could find it for 600 AUS if you wait for a discount from one or the other seller...
Also, G-Sync and high refresh rates are both mind blowing. You need good hardware for considering reaching the latter though.

EDIT : the AOC G2460PG is the lowest priced G-Sync/144 Hz monitor here in Switzerland. And it's around 450 USD without rebates.

RevenWolf

Well, we had the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q for around 500 USD during a flash promotion. You probably could find it for 600 AUS if you wait for a discount from one or the other seller...
Also, G-Sync and high refresh rates are both mind blowing. You need good hardware for considering reaching the latter though.

EDIT : the AOC G2460PG is the lowest priced G-Sync/144 Hz monitor here in Switzerland. And it's around 450 USD without rebates.

Thanks for the fast reply! Looking things up the AOC and it's currently being sold for $550 AUD!

I think I might bite on this, though it's not sale price here apparently, might wait to get an even better price or wait on the ROG :)

Thanks again for your help, now I know what to keep an eye out for!

Ahmed360

Any idea if G-sync on Laptops performs on-par with Desktops?

I prefer Laptops, currently deciding on my next purchase, G-sync would be a welcomed addition.

Iced

Thanks for the fast reply! Looking things up the AOC and it's currently being sold for $550 AUD!

I think I might bite on this, though it's not sale price here apparently, might wait to get an even better price or wait on the ROG :)

Thanks again for your help, now I know what to keep an eye out for!

I've owned an AOC G2460PG for a couple of weeks now. It's a very good monitor, but one thing to note is it takes about half an hour to warm up. While it's doing so, colours look really blown out and faded. I tend to have my monitors go to sleep after 10 minutes, but with this one I now just have a screensaver on at all times because I don't want it to have to keep warming up again.

Edit: Should also mention I've found calibration settings at Tom's Hardware to be the most accurate/pleasing to the eye. Only changes I made were the brightness settings (I prefer it higher), and I have it on Gamma 1 instead of Gamma 2.

DirtyLarry

So I have encountered my first game where it appears G-Sync may not be working, at least the on screen indicator is not coming on.
I see no screen tearing at all though so perhaps it is working and for some reason the indicator is not displaying?
It is the Ghost In The Shell First Assault Online game.
It is more or less a F2P game (on sale for $2.50 right now), so is it just because it is not the most optimized game?
The game is running in Full Screen but should I check off Full Screen & Windowed Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel to see if that works?
Like I said, this is the first game it has not worked, so very well could just be this game.
And I am just curious if others have come across games that for whatever reason do not appear to work and if there is some trick to force them to work?
I do also have the Nvidia Inspector installed on my comp as I was playing around with limiting the frames in this game as well, as even at 2560 it was going above 144.

TIA for any tips or tricks or advice on what may be happening.
I checked The Division and the G-Sync indicator came on right away, so it is definitely working.

I noticed a line of tearing i all of the games in the upper part of the screen, 0,5 cm from the top, when i move the camera.
G-sync on, v-sync off in game.

Pg278q.

What could it be?

DirtyLarry

Just to build on my post above in case anyone else has the same issue, all I had to do was enable Windowed and Full Screen for G-Sync to have it enabled in other games.
Both Ghost In The Shell and Sublevel Zero were not showing the G-Sync indicator until I included Windowed mode as well. I have a feeling a decent amount of games these days do faux Full Screen.

So problem solved, and it did make each game much smoother. Especially GITS. I am now pretty damn good at that game and I swear having the monitor as part of the reason why.

Plum

Man, just got a decent amount of money from my birthday and browsing for G-Sync monitors is so damn frustrating. If I don't want to save up and wait 4-5 months to afford an XB271HU it's just a continuing series of compromises. I could get the Dell G-Sync monitor but the monitor I have right now is a good-quality IPS display (Dell U2414h) and I would risk noticing the difference and getting buyer's remorse. A 1080p 24inch IPS G-Sync Monitor would solve all of my problems but those don't seem to exist and they likely never will.

When I do eventually get G-Sync it better be worth it because damn, buying one is stressful as all hell.

tmtyf

Man, just got a decent amount of money from my birthday and browsing for G-Sync monitors is so damn frustrating. If I don't want to save up and wait 4-5 months to afford an XB271HU it's just a continuing series of compromises. I could get the Dell G-Sync monitor but the monitor I have right now is a good-quality IPS display (Dell U2414h) and I would risk noticing the difference and getting buyer's remorse. A 1080p 24inch IPS G-Sync Monitor would solve all of my problems but those don't seem to exist and they likely never will.

When I do eventually get G-Sync it better be worth it because damn, buying one is stressful as all hell.

i hear you here. I have been going back and forth between a 27 and a ultrawide and cant decide if i want the extra HZ or that wide screen :(

I havent seen gsync in person and dropping the money on one will hurt but most people say its gamechanging.

Plum

i hear you here. I have been going back and forth between a 27 and a ultrawide and cant decide if i want the extra HZ or that wide screen :(

I havent seen gsync in person and dropping the money on one will hurt but most people say its gamechanging.

Yeah, I'd love to see G-Sync in person but I know no-one who owns a G-Sync monitor and being in Britain the monitor selection in our computer/tech shops is abysmal.

Like I said, a 1080p IPS G-Sync monitor would solve ALL of my issues. I wouldn't have to worry about keeping up with a new resolution, there wouldn't be any colour worries and the price would hopefully be quite cheaper. Having to jump to 1440p to get G-Sync IPS creates a dilemma between monitor and upgrading since I "only" have a 970.

I noticed a line of tearing i all of the games in the upper part of the screen, 0,5 cm from the top, when i move the camera.
G-sync on, v-sync off in game.

Pg278q.

What could it be?

Anyone?
Further details: it seems to appear only in fullscreen mode. It happens with MGSV, The Witcher 3, HITMAN exclusive fullscreen.
If i, for example, put borderless windows on, it disappears (tested with HITMAN).
V-sync is off in Nvidia control panel too.

EDIT 1
This is what i talking about, just checked on youtube.

EDIT 2
Ok so i tested a bunch of driver release and i noticed that 364.72 brings with it this bug in fullscreen mode basically with all games (not Fallout 4 for example). I re-installed 364.51 and i went fine with HITMAN and Dark Souls 3 so far. I'm gong to try a bunch of games and upate this post.

EDIT 3
Solved

TL; DR
If you have a PG278Q 364.51 is fine, 364.72 is bad.

holysan

Having to jump to 1440p to get G-Sync IPS creates a dilemma between monitor and upgrading since I "only" have a 970.
At some point you'll want to upgrade anyway and then you’ll be stuck with an expensive 1080p monitor. Don’t do this to you. After 6 days with my XB270HU, mainly playing TW3 and GTAV, I can say that the GTX 970 has plenty of power to handle 1440p (on more demanding games), if you can deal with compromises.

Top Bottom