• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

galvenize

+set m_smooth 0 in launch options to turn off that pesky mouse smoothing. Try it out.

I tried it but I still have the smoothing. It annoys me to no end as I want to be accurate in my shooting but can't. Vsync is off in both nvidia and ingame too. Wat do :(?

TheTrain

I tried it but I still have the smoothing. It annoys me to no end as I want to be accurate in my shooting but can't. Vsync is off in both nvidia and ingame too. Wat do :(?

Open the console and type "m_smoothing 0"
There are several commands for the mouse smoothing, try to disable everything. You can type, into the console, "m_" and then press tab so you can see all the list of commands related to the mouse smoothing

Frozone

Wow, this not only looks and performs really well, but it plays fantastically. The performance overlay (and various levels of it) is really fuckin' cool too.

giphy.gif

DjRalford

Guys I have a problem

I start doom from steam, it runs in a small window in the top left corner, I adjust settings to full screen, confirm, I then get a black screen in the top left corner and the only way out of it is through task manager

This is on a 4790k & R9 nano

Edit

It seems to not like running full screen unless it's set to 4k

Santar

I would love to get some help reading the techie readouts the game can give you.
If I'm reading this correctly my d cpu is the bottleneck? And what does the orange bar mean?
At more effects heavy scenes the video card stats also appear in the red.
Does that mean that both my cpu and videocard needs upgrading?
I didn't think my i5-4670 was that outdated already.

Isn't there supposed to be Nightmare graphics settings? Mine only go to Ultra. Btw put everything on highest on my 970 and still getting solid 60fps.

Gitaroo

my old rig with i7 930 and 670 definitely can't hold 60 fps at max... still above 30fps at least, triple buffer is always welcome.

Anybody know how to get rid of that awful pixel dithering on reflections?

It's horribly distracting. I literally see cubes.

EDIT:
NVM, I just discovered what it was. Certain anti-aliasing techniques cause terrible dithering (FXAA).

Nocturno999

i5 4670, 770 GTX, 8GB RAM.

Was running somewhat smoothly @60 FPS but in the furnace it massively dropped to 8 on medium, 15~25 on low. Ridiculous.

Will try something else to see if it improves.

Bronion

So, the game runs at 55-60fps for me most of the time on 'High'. But pretty frequently it'll tank straight to an unwavering 30fps at certain points. One example is if I look at the table at the very beginning of the game. I figured out setting shadows to 'Low' fixes this, but anyone else have this problem?

R9 290
i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz
8GB RAM

Could it be a RAM issue?

Lanark

OK, stupid question, but I can't find the option to unlock framerate. Can you select it in a menu, or do you have to edit a ini file?

Karanlos

When I saw it was OpenGL I knew suboptimal perf on AMD was going to happen.
Can't really blame them for not optimizing OpenGL in their drivers properly considering almost everything is Direct3D when it comes to perf applications.

Was really surprised by what I saw in the NVidia video as I thought it would be Doom 3 2... If that makes sense. Before they had my curiosity, now they have my attention.

Hoping Vulkan update will push me over the edge with this one.

OK, stupid question, but I can't find the option to unlock framerate. Can you select it in a menu, or do you have to edit a ini file?

My problem is the other way around. I can't lock the framerate at 60. Keeps jumping between 120 and 60 with Vsync on, and I get like 80-120 with adaptive and off. RTSS doesn't seem to work either.

EDIT: Restarted the game and now RTSS works. The new Nvidia drivers have made a huge difference for me. It never drops below 60 fps now.

justjim89

Posted this in the OT, but this is probably a better place for it:

Any kind of ini edits that can be made to maximize performance? Getting like 18-22 fps on low settings, and a few extra frames would be a big help.

i5 4670, 770 GTX, 8GB RAM.

Was running somewhat smoothly @60 FPS but in the furnace it massively dropped to 8 on medium, 15~25 on low. Ridiculous.

Will try something else to see if it improves.
Try reducing Virtual Texture whatever. I think the drop to lower FPS happens when you're VRAM-bound.

I have an R9 390, 16 GB ram and i5 6600k. Playing at 1080p.

If I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing...

Doesn't matter what settings I change... What is going on? I don't have this problem in any other game I've played.

Woorloog

Banned

If I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing...

Doesn't matter what settings I change... What is going on? I don't have this problem in any other game I've played.

This happens, as far as i can determine, to everyone with R9 390 at least. Probably a driver issue or something. Certain areas cause this slowdown, it is not exactly random. At least it isn't for me.

Phionoxx

Try reducing Virtual Texture whatever. I think the drop to lower FPS happens when you're VRAM-bound.

Does the game tell you what VRAM requirements they recommend per level of the Page File setting? Wondering if 3GB VRAM is enough for High setting there.

This happens, as far as i can determine, to everyone with R9 390 at least. Probably a driver issue or something. Certain areas cause this slowdown, it is not exactly random. At least it isn't for me.

I... just found this after searching the steam forums where lots of people are having the same problems as me.... please tell me this isn't true.

image.png

How on earth could my r9 390 be performing so badly? Weren't AMD cards performing just fine in the Alpha? What the heck happened?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AMD has always had spotty OpenGL support, dating back at least as far as "Quack 3". That being said, the performance on display is worse than even Rage (the first "AAA" OpenGL game since Doom 3), which is itself an impressive feat for all the wrong reasons.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Got rid of my blue screen errors. Turned out it was a iPad duet app that was causing it. Uninstalled it. All was good.

This is a very stylish beautiful looking game. I'm pretty much maxing it out on my GTX970 and it's a smooth as a cashmere codpiece.

The gameplay is also awesome. I'm so glad I bought it.

AMD has always had spotty OpenGL support, dating back at least as far as "Quack 3". That being said, the performance on display is worse than even Rage (the first "AAA" OpenGL game since Doom 3), which is itself an impressive feat for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, but didn't the alpha run just fine on AMD cards? I remember people saying it ran exceptionally well actually. What happened?

Does the game tell you what VRAM requirements they recommend per level of the Page File setting? Wondering if 3GB VRAM is enough for High setting there.

It doesn't say anything about VRAM but I can tell you that 3GB can handle High no problem. Ultra is where you see weird dips sometimes.

JaseC

Yeah, but didn't the alpha run just fine on AMD cards? I remember people saying it ran exceptionally well actually. What happened?

Well, optimisation is an ever-shifting road and the alpha build is months old at this point. Nvidia experienced something similar with Tomb Raider 2013.

Does anyone know if there is sli support for this?

Not presently, but id's lead programmer confirmed that multi-GPU support is forthcoming.

Blitzhex

Doom's not showing up on my steam profile and I can't check my achievements for it (I'm still getting them).
Anyone else? My friend has the same problem.

Look, if the poor performance of AMD cards in this game is true as shown above then people should be warned before they buy. I feel like making a thread on this. Am I allowed to do that?

I'm just pissed right now that I am not getting the performance that I have come to expect from my card with this game. It really sucks because I am a sucker for old school shooters and from what I played I can see that there is something special here just like in Wolfenstein which is one of my GOATs.

What makes it worse is that Nvidia have the majority market share and it seems like most complaints that we AMD owners have are drowned out and ignored by those enjoying the game flawlessly.

JaseC

Doom's not showing up on my steam profile and I can't check my achievements for it (I'm still getting them).
Anyone else? My friend has the same problem.

The app still has the section_type = ownersonly flag applied, which limits the public display of community activity.

Ulysses 31

Look, if the poor performance of AMD cards in this game is true as shown above then people should be warned before they buy. I feel like making a thread on this. Am I allowed to do that?

I'm just pissed right now that I am not getting the performance that I have come to expect from my card with this game. It really sucks because I am a sucker for old school shooters and from what I played I can see that there is something special here just like in Wolfenstein which is one of my GOATs.

What makes it worse is that Nvidia have the majority market share and it seems like most complaints that we have are drowned out and ignored by those enjoying the game flawlessly.

Which AMD card specificly? I'm playing with Fury X and it's been great so far at 1440p with FreeSync.

Which AMD card specificly? I'm playing with Fury X and it's been great so far at 1440p with FreeSync.
These where the issues I was having,

I posted a pic of Doom benchmarks a little further up. I don't have a FreeSync monitor.

x3sphere

Wow I was not expecting the game to be this good. Feels amazing to play, so fast and fluid.

Performance-wise it's running great here at 3440x1440 on a 980 Ti. Getting around 70-80 FPS average.

ISee

What makes it worse is that Nvidia have the majority market share and it seems like most complaints that we AMD owners have are drowned out and ignored by those enjoying the game flawlessly.

I absolutely understand your frustration. And everybody is a bit mind blown by the fact that even a (much slower) 380x is able to outperform a 390 in doom 4. There should be no reason for this, but I'm willing to bet that the infamous vulcan patch (supposed to come shortly after launch) will improve performance dramatically for you. STILL the situation 390 owners are in after buying doom 4 directly on release day just sucks.

I absolutely understand your frustration. And everybody is a bit mind blown by the fact that even a (much slower) 380x is able to outperform a 390 in doom 4. There should be no reason for this, but I'm willing to bet that the infamous vulcan patch (supposed to come shortly after launch) will improve performance dramatically for you. STILL the situation 390 owners are in after buying doom 4 directly on release day just sucks.

I hope you are right because It does suck a lot. I think fellow gaffers should be warned as well. At least to wait for a fix. I think I'm going to make a thread.

Top Bottom