• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

kinggroin

Banned
Yes. Kepler. From what I see everyone with 7XX cards has terrible performance (even on lowest settings with a 780 ti). Could be a driver issue, Nvidia pretty much dropped Kepler support anyway :(

No man. Don't spread this stuff like it's demonstratable fact.

There are plenty of examples of folk using 7XX and 6XX series at 60fps with decent settings, but having to drop resolution due to the small VRAM pool available to them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody getting any system crashes or freezes? I'm getting some that require a hard reset. Thinking my CPU OC might not be stable.

I just updated to the 365.19 drivers and now playing mostly on ultra @60fps locked.

I was seriously scared, damn...

If the fps dips, the setting you want to lower is Virtual Texturing Page Size. Setting that to high pretty much locks it at 60. Idk what exactly it does though lol.

Freiya

nyCyv1g.png

omg the dream is not completely dead! My care meter for this game was at zero but now I'm tempted just because it will support sli and I can play it in 4k.

i5 6600k
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Ultra+High mix, mainly ultra though. 1080/60 solid unless there is heavy smoke. Really happy with how it looks and performs.

Vitor711

i5-4690k
16GM RAM
W10

GPU usage is almost 100% most of the time so I'm not CPU-bottlenecked.

Playing on ultra at 1440p and I can't maintain a solid 60. I have G-Sync though and haven't noticed the drops but it's going from the 50s onwards most of the time. Also, for some reason the game didn't default to G-Sync on start-up and it tore like a mother f'er. Be warned - V-sync will be a necessity if you don't have a fancy monitor. The tearing was super distracting.

Changed lighting and shadows to high and it's been better. Honestly, it plays smoothly but don't expect to make it out completely on the system. Usually I forgo AA at this res but it's a must here - too many broken lines that really muddy the image. It's worth the performance hit.

noomi

omg the dream is not completely dead! My care meter for this game was at zero but now I'm tempted just because it will support sli and I can play it in 4k.

I bet it'll be a nice long while before SLI support actually happens though :(

Shame we don't have it on release.

Recorded some of my gameplay. First couple were at 1080p and after the second video I've started playing at 1440p. Had to scale it down a bit since I was able to maintain 60+ at Ultra, not so much at 1440p. Though I had a ton of stuff running on my PC at the same time and I need a refresh as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVrF1oD-2Uo

Will likely reload the OS and get some more testing done but it does run better than Wolfenstein, that's for sure.

How is the 21:9 support?

Works pretty damned well. They have multiple ratio settings; 16:9, 16:10, 21:9, 25:16. I'm playing on a 34UM95P as well.

K' Dash

If the fps dips, the setting you want to lower is Virtual Texturing Page Size. Setting that to high pretty much locks it at 60. Idk what exactly it does though lol.

Awesome, thanks for the tip and all the help!

Those new cards can't come soon enough.

Run-M-Run

My PC complains about running out memory and wants to crash. When I play and it crashes it's pretty much 7gb out of 8 gb used.. wat do?

Iced

Can anyone else confirm that this works, and if there is any significant drawback to dropping down to high?

Akronis

Can anyone else confirm that this works, and if there is any significant drawback to dropping down to high?

I would imagine it's related to VRAM consumption so lowering it would lower your VRAM in case you're hitting a ceiling.

A potential side-effect of lowering this may be slower loading LOD changes, similar to texture streaming.

ISee

i7 6700k @ 4.5ghz
980 @ 1450 mhz
16gb @ 3000mhz
win 10

Downsampling from 2400x1350 to 1080p. Ultra Settings, 110 FOV, SMAA. Can't complaining steady 60 fps. (unlocked ~75 fps minimum so far).

Anybody getting any system crashes or freezes? I'm getting some that require a hard reset. Thinking my CPU OC might not be stable.

All good here (so far ~ 1.5h in).

Dave_6

Just bought this after watching the Nvidia video. Probably won't get to try it tonight but I'm curious how my 3570K/970/8GB setup handles it at 1080p.

Impulsor

Which are the best settings to lower that don't imapct visual qualñity too much but boost FPS?

getting some drops from 60 with a 980 ti @ 3440x1440 on ultra

AEREC

i7-870 2.93 GHZ
GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM

Ultra settings with FXAA (1)

At 1080p I get a steady 60FPS 98% of the time...it dropped down to 30FPS once in one of the first rooms with the big glowing ball (right after you meet the first Imp.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game isn't using any adaptive resolution, yeah? Sometimes it doesn't even look native 1440p, though I put that down to the shader aliasing throwing me.

None here. It probably is your OC.

All good here (so far ~ 1.5h in).

Definitely the overclock, it seems. Dropped down to 4.6 and no crashes. Probably need more VCore but ehh. 4.6 is overkill as is.

Does it seem like it needs to? Any texture pop-in? What resolution?

Had the wrong setting for page file; Ultra instead of Nightmare. Latter reserves a lot of extra room for megatextures, speeding up streaming, and eating ~5GB of VRAM.

There's still pop-in though. I love the look of the game, but every id Tech 5/6 game has shit texture streaming issues. You can walk up to surfaces and visibly watch HD textures load in.

GavinUK86

• i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
  • 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
  • MSI Overclocked GTX 970
Everything on Ultra and running at 1080p fullscreen with vsync on and RTSS set to 60.

It seems really stable. Only dropped once during the first gore nest fight to 55ish. Only when I looked in a certain direction though, not at anything specifically gorgeous either. Not sure why it was dropping there.

I'm currently running around outside and it hasn't budged from 60fps yet. I'm expecting it to drop when it gets really hectic with all the particle effect and whatnot but for now, it's buttery smooth.

This engine is incredible.

The game's great too! Probably one of the smoothest games I have ever played. The animations and how it just feels to control is just perfection.

dr_rus

A 960 whooping on a 390, huh? Glad I went with the ps4 version :/

Yeah, the game seems to be favoring NV right now but that's not a big surprise considering that it's OpenGL based.

The interesting part will happen when they'll release the Vulkan renderer - Radeons should get a big boost there.

It all seemed clear last night with the driver update, but as I've gotten farther into the game, I've noticed the drops returning in later levels. 720p and low settings do not make any bit of difference, once again. I'm going to bite through it, but I definitely can't recommend getting it if you've got similar specs to me.

Yes, because it is. Maybe it's time to step down to medium or lower, install drivers, use an SSD etc.
Those impressions were from 720p on low settings. There's actually barely any difference between 720p low and 1080p medium, I get about a gain of ten frames in scenes with framedrops. Again, considering how this runs on consoles, it just makes no sense for it to be running this way. Yeah, consoles have leeway and all, but I think it's fair for me to say it shouldn't be running /this/ bad. 720p on low should at least be doable.

What's your VRAM usage? That might be the limiting factor, would be interesting to see.
I'll give it a look and report back. I'm actually having the same suspicion.

Well, you are below the minimum system requirements. It requires at least a 670, and a 760 is quite a bit weaker than a 670. If you bought it on Steam you can just get a refund.
Is it really, though? By that much? I don't know, seeing the kind of hardware this game runs on through consoles, I feel like they id could've squeezed out more performance than they did here on PC. Especially considering the other releases this year that have proven to run just fine on this card.

Also, I got it through GMG, so I'm stuck with this one. I appreciate you looking out for me though! Honestly it's my bad, I didn't think the gap between a 670 and 760 was going to be /this/ bad, but lesson learned for future releases, as much as I think this shouldn't be the case, haha.

It is worth nothing that the drivers from last night did make some of the levels playable (mainly outdoor stuff, surprisingly; drops went from 20 to 40), so maybe Vulkan can help cement some stability for me? I'll probably post back here whenever that update happens.

Schnozberry

I noticed almost no difference in performance between CPU OC and stock clocks on my 5820k. Got better frame times and more stable performance dropping back to stock CPU clocks and leaving my GPU OC in place (980 Ti).

Schnozberry

Yeah, the game seems to be favoring NV right now but that's not a big surprise considering that it's OpenGL based.

The interesting part will happen when they'll release the Vulkan renderer - Radeons should get a big boost there.

Vulkan should give everyone a decent boost, but people with slower CPUs will see the most impact.

Serick

Married Member
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz
GTX 980ti (modest OC, cant remember)
16GB DDR3 2400MHz

1080p Max everything (including AA) -- sitting at 90-120 fps and 14-18ms (according to the nightmare thingy) but I'm a peasant without g-sync so I turn v-sync on and just sit at 60 solid no matter what's going on.

I should probably try downsampling.

Edit: On a side note.... I can't believe how smooth this game feels... it's unreal.. I haven't felt this satisfied with a shooter in forever.

dogen

Had the wrong setting for page file; Ultra instead of Nightmare. Latter reserves a lot of extra room for megatextures, speeding up streaming, and eating ~5GB of VRAM.

There's still pop-in though. I love the look of the game, but every id Tech 5/6 game has shit texture streaming issues. You can walk up to surfaces and visibly watch HD textures load in.

Not necessarily. You could eliminate it with the right settings in Rage and Wolfenstein. I did and I only have a GTX 950 + G3258.

Looks like they took out the pages per frame option, which was pretty important. I wonder if they're doing texture decompression on the gpu.. I assume they are.

Maybe these parameters(or similar) still exist in the engine and can be changed in a cfg file somewhere.

UnrealEck

How can I unlock the frame rate? Vsync is disabled, but I'm being capped some where. It won't go above 60 fps (I'm on a 144hz monitor).

Make sure you're monitor's running at above 60hz.
I had the same problem. Checked Vsync was off. Checked there was no framerate cap in-game our in software. Then I pressed the refresh rate button on my monitor and found it was at 60hz. Changed it to 120Hz and the framerate went up.

ISee

As someone with a GTX 770, ouch. Am I better off with the PS4 version?

Those Benchmarks were made on ultra settings. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hit 1080p/60 if you turn down some settings (at worst to ps4 levels). And once the 'in'famous vulkan patch comes out you'll be probably able to hit 1080p/60 with higer than ps4 settings.

Top Bottom