• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Dance Sells 2 Million Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Third Party New IP On Wii

ShinNL

Acosta said:
Please, define "fun" to us so we can understand the concept. Saying a game is "fun" is the same as saying nothing.
1. Put people in front of TV
2. Start game
3. ????
4. PROFIT!?

Acosta

Soneet said:
So if you guys aren't buying games for fun and playtime, what are you buying games for?

Boy are you uptight or what. Yeah, the game made itself, no thoughts, ideas, design and programming went into it at all! Oh yeah, the lack of grittiness and darkness sure makes this game look bad. Why don't you just go back to your couch and play some console shooter.

It´s that a counterargument?

"Oh yeah, the lack of grittiness and darkness sure makes this game look bad"

Haha, if only, the game has silhouettes as gaming graphics, I have seen NES games with more appealing visuals than that.

And what ideas?, what design? have you actually played the thing or are you argumenting for argumenting's shake? We actually have well designed dance games in videogames history, you should check them out to understand what a good videogame is.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
:lol :lol :lol

I thought this thread was on the way out, but Acosta is bringing it back! Let's objectively define fun! Go, go, GO!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Brobzoid said:
:lol :lol :lol

I thought this thread was on the way out, but Acosta is bringing it back! Let's objectively define fun! Go, go, GO!

This is great. You know what fun is? Fun is reading this thread. I am thoroughly enjoying myself here :lol

robjoh

Acosta said:
Please, define "fun" to us so we can understand the concept. Saying a game is "fun" is the same as saying nothing.

The problem is that fun can be different for different people, which means that what you think is fun is not fun for me or the opposite. Now I don’t have any idea if Just Dance is fun for me but it should be pretty obvious that a lot of people find that Just Dance is a good and fun game. If you don't agree sure, but why are you upset about it?

I say congratulations to Ubisoft and for those who bought the game and enjoyed it, please continue to have fun.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Acosta said:

Haha, if only, the game has silhouettes as gaming graphics, I have seen NES games with more appealing visuals than that.

And what ideas?, what design? have you actually played the thing or are you argumenting for argumenting's shake? We actually have well designed dance games in videogames history, you should check them out to understand what a good videogame is.

Jesus christ man, there's a reason DDR has faded from the limelight and products like Just Dance are rising to the heavens.

I'm not going to give you the courtesy of pointing out why because it should be blatantly obvious. Then again some people on GAF have such a stupidly idiotic definition of what games should and should not be why am I suprised someone is bashing their heads against their keyboards against harmless fluff like Just Dance?

Durante

I find it strange that, while the GAF opinion usually holds that reviews should not try to be "objective" consumer reports, it is claimed by some that SamBishop failed to correctly review this "game". I have a hard time reading correctly as anything other than objectively in this case. It seems that people actually do want the kind of review that ties its evaluation to sales potential or mass market appeal.

Acosta

GDGF said:
This is great. You know what fun is? Fun is reading this thread. I am thoroughly enjoying myself here :lol

I am not the one claiming what fun is. You should read with more attention.

Mael

Acosta said:
For who? your mom? I don't give a shit what the "masses" think of videogames, they have no clue and I'm not going to level my view of videogames to theirs

Here this is what I was talking about the smelly guy in the back that think model trains are not toys.

Acosta

McBradders said:
Jesus christ man, there's a reason DDR has faded from the limelight and products like Just Dance are rising to the heavens.

I'm not going to give you the courtesy of pointing out why because it should be blatantly obvious. Then again some people on GAF have such a stupidly idiotic definition of what games should and should not be why am I suprised someone is bashing their heads against their keyboards against harmless fluff like Just Dance?

That's your problem, you want to evaluate games based on its popularity and accessibility and nobody will do that.

It´s market penetration is worthless for what we are discussing here: evaluating a game from its merits. DDR had a merit, Just Dance had none beyond a massive marketing campaign.

Mael

Durante said:
I find it strange that, while the GAF opinion usually holds that reviews should not try to be "objective" consumer reports, it is claimed by some that SamBishop failed to correctly review this "game". I have a hard time reading correctly as anything other than objectively in this case. It seems that people actually do want the kind of review that ties its evaluation to sales potential or mass market appeal.

How to review stuff?
How about following someone's advice?
John Updike said:
1. Try to understand what the author wished to do, and do not blame him for not achieving what he did not attempt.

2. Give enough direct quotation—- at least one extended passage—- of the book's prose so the review's reader can form his own impression, can get his own taste.

3. Confirm your description of the book with quotation from the book, if only phrase-long, rather than proceeding by fuzzy précis.

4. Go easy on plot summary, and do not give away the ending.

5. If the book is judged deficient, cite a successful example along the same lines, from the author's oeuvre or elsewhere. Try to understand the failure. Sure it's his and not yours?

To these concrete five might be added a vaguer sixth, having to do with maintaining a chemical purity in the reaction between product and appraiser. Do not accept for review a book you are predisposed to dislike, or committed by friendship to like. Do not imagine yourself a caretaker of any tradition, an enforcer of any party standards, a warrior in any ideological battle, a corrections officer of any kind. Never, never... try to put the author "in his place," making of him a pawn in a contest with other reviewers. Review the book, not the reputation. Submit to whatever spell, weak or strong, is being cast. Better to praise and share than blame and ban. The communion between reviewer and his public is based upon the presumption of certain possible joys of reading, and all our discriminations should curve toward that end.

ShinNL

Acosta said:

Do you really think you're replying with a smart argument here? You're actually a lot more shallow than you think.

Sure I'll clarify since you lack the ability to think outside your reach.

124427.jpg

124428.jpg

Oh wow, is this game ugly! I bet they could have used rendered 3D models or shot real-time videoclips...
--- letting you think for a moment ---
Oh wait, maybe, I don't know, to create these visuals they had to record real-time videos and then apply effects to it! That would actually be a bigger effort, yikes, they wouldn't do that, would they?

If you can't see that...
1. This is a design choice
2. This is actually appealing because it's easy to see, easy to mimic, not distracting from the real people playing, looks simplified yet resembles humans and avoids targeting specific ages or demographics.

...then YOU. ARE. BLIND.

You attempts to say that this is an ugly / non design is ridiculous. Because if you say something like that, you need to provide examples of what could be better? The cluttered mess that is DDR and scares people off? Way to miss the entire point of the game.

What design?
Let's see: 2 clicks to choose a song? No unlocking shit? Easy and non cluttered menu? Color scheme? You think those dozen of Hero games are better? They only got cluttered more and more. To simplify is actually a much harder design choice than just to copy previous games of the same genre. Hero games were always dark and gritty, a design I totally hated (and avoided). Do you read Iwata asks? More isn't always better, they often remove things so you don't get negative effects.

You think all this came out of nothing? Oh, let's make a game that's just less than everything else! No! People actually have to think and make these choices. These were brilliant choices and in sync with what they were aiming for.

The point system: seems easy to score, so no one really ends up feeling like a total failure. However, to get high scores (far exceeding the actual bar) you need to dance precisely to the rhythm. When the scores show people compare who danced the best. During the dance, spectators see who's dancing really well (both in real life and on screen), because lots of bar effects show up if you do everything well.

I'm saying you should go back to your couch and play some games aimed at teens since this is clearly not aimed at you. If you don't see why this isn't about difficulty unlocking, achievements collecting, many-modes options, video-clip playing and accurate mimicking then you have no clue what this game is about.

If you own a Wii and have some friends, I suggest you rent this game for just 1 night and play it. Then you'll either...

1. Understand how incredibly ignorant your arguments are
2. You'll play this with 4 people sitting on the couch wondering why it's still not fun and blaming me

Mael

Soneet said:
Huge post detailing Just Dance

I find it pretty telling that I learned more about the game in that post than in Ign's review.
I mean it speak of how badly the review system is made that a random poster on the web make a better job than someone paid to do it.

If this was a capitalistic world he would get the reviewer job >.>

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Acosta said:
That's your problem, you want to evaluate games based on its popularity and accessibility and nobody will do that.

It´s market penetration is worthless for what we are discussing here: evaluating a game from its merits. DDR had a merit, Just Dance had none beyond a massive marketing campaign.

I don't think I'm the one with the problem here.

For serious.

Acosta

2. This is actually appealing because it's easy to see, easy to mimic, not distracting from the real people playing, looks simplified yet resembles humans and avoids targeting specific ages or demographics.

It´s lazy and it´s still unappealing.

The point system: seems easy to score, so no one really ends up feeling like a total failure. However, to get high scores (far exceeding the actual bar) you need to dance precisely to the rhythm.

I disagree with that, I have played and the thing is extremely vague on how it captures movement. You need precision for doing that you are saying and Just Dance doesn't have the means to capture that.

If you own a Wii and have some friends, I suggest you rent this game for just 1 night and play it. Then you'll either...

I have better things to do with my games that play a really bad videogame, thank you very much.

Ok guys, the show is over, I said what I wanted to say. I have expressed my opinion without mocking anyone and respecting your views, even if I really disagree, and I have no interest in taking the conversation to a dead end. Sorry if I have offended you, but it was no my intention at all.

GeekyDad

I think it's great. It clearly defines what Wii is about for general audiences. "Gamers" pretty much knew the score before the system even launched, so folks who feign disgust with a game like this doing well must have been kidding themselves for a long, long time. Besides, it is possible the game is...fun. Sometimes you feel like steak & lobster; other times you just want a $0.99 McDouble. There's nothing wrong with that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Eh, I don't see the point of leveraging opinions of this game onto other people. It's admittedly a shoddy game but it is fun at parties. People like parties. Two million people in fact. That's just the way it is. But if they don't want it then don't tell them they're flat-out wrong about it.

It's that age old argument of people letting other people play games to their tastes and not being such a snob about it. Now, I've never played Heavy Rain (just as most of you critics have never played Just Dance), but judging by the videos it does look about as interactive an experience as this game. The difference being that where one is a social exercise designed to keep people playing and entertained with bright colours, the other is an engrossing novel with multiple paths and fancy graphics that's immersive to the single player. To the traditional gamers, the one with fancy graphics and plot will be the one favoured. To the outside world, the other is. But there's no point trying to say one isn't a game while championing the other as a breakthrough experience over a fundamental factor like level of interactivity because that's sheer ignorance and an extremely rigid way of thinking. If you can see how both offer fun to different demographics, that's cool beans man.

ShinNL

Acosta said:
So this is basically what it boils down to. Immature childish responses like that. You are definitely done here, since you have nothing to say.

RpgN

Soneet said:
So this is basically what it boils down to. Immature childish responses like that. You are definitely done here, since you have nothing to say.

Why don't you just relax a little? No need for being serious about someone giving his opinion. What's wrong with him saying it looks lazy and unappealing to him?

Mael

RpgN said:
Why don't you just relax a little? No need for being serious about someone giving his opinion. What's wrong with him saying it looks lazy and unappealing to him?

Probably because it's like saying Google's page layout is lazy and unappealing and preferring yahoo's mess?

RpgN said:

because the context is a business discussion about how JD 2 achieved success where so many other titles failed, and why it's "quality" led to that. People are arguing about quality, but the argument isn't about one's opinion of the quality so much as why the game is quality in the eyes of the 2 million that bought it.

RpgN

There are games that sell millions and don't necessarily mean quality and the reason it sold so well. If the game flopped like the next Petz games, no one would have given a shit about Just Dance 2. I think it just succeeded for coming at the right time, introducing something that hasn't been implemented in such a way (but it lacks a lot) and advertised decently. It reached the mass which is a good thing. I'll never understand how no one gives a shit about a game and then when it sells a lot, suddenly it's because it's supposedly good.

Of course, when it comes to this game, I can't judge if it's good or not for having not played it. I'm just talking in general when a game succeeds or not commercially.

Mael said:
Probably because it's like saying Google's page layout is lazy and unappealing and preferring yahoo's mess?

You're right, that would be silly to say so with such an analogy. But there is no other comparable game to Just Dance 2 on the wii, and he didn't really compair it to something else

Mael

RpgN said:
You're right, that would be silly to say so with such an analogy. But there is no other comparable game to Just Dance 2 on the wii, and he didn't really compair it to something else

He did say that the interface being unclutered and simple was 'lazy and unappealling', that's pretty much him digging his own grave here :-/

Acosta

Soneet said:

It´s my opinion, nothing else, nothing more, I don't even need to develop it. That you can't stand it it´s completely your problem.

Mael said:
He did say that the interface being unclutered and simple was 'lazy and unappealling', that's pretty much him digging his own grave here :-/

I didn't say it was simple, I said it was imprecise and vague. Meanwhile DDR is precise and have tight routines (aside of a much better audiovisual presentation).

Mael

Hammer24 said:
There are more than enough comparable games. Maybe JD is so successfull, as it needs no silly mat?

They're all extremely condescending too, I mean maybe you want a DDR game for Wii but with Winx attached to it?

RpgN

Mael said:

I think he has a hard time explaining himself or more like where he is coming from. I think those 2 members are both talking about different things. Where Soneet is mentioning that it's a simple design, chosen on purpose for the game and to not being unclutered is different to Acosta not liking the style and the impression it gives to him. Maybe he doesn't like the colours, the front type, the way the in-game character is displayed? There is nothing wrong with saying that in my opinion.

ShinNL

Acosta said:
It´s my opinion, nothing else, nothing more, I don't even need to develop it. That you can't stand it it´s completely your problem.

*points you to*
Just Dance has no merit, it has no design, not technical effort and it´s visuals are unappealing to say the least
That's not an opinion. That's you being blind. If you can't see the design, can't see the technical effort and can't see the appeal doesn't mean it's not there. Don't try to chicken out now by saying it's all an opinion. You clearly weren't stating your opinion, you were trying to state facts about what the game was and that the low score was well deserved. You wuss. One moment you try to stay strong, next moment you say it's all an opinion and you're untouchable. What's next? Saying you're done? Oh wait, you already did that.

Mael

And with that I beat everyone in the # of posts here....

RpgN said:
I think he has a hard time explaining himself or more like where he is coming from. I think those 2 members are both talking about different things. Where Soneet is mentioning that it's a simple design, chosen on purpose for the game and to not being unclutered is different to Acosta not liking the style and the impression it gives to him. Maybe he doesn't like the colours, the front type, the way the in-game character is displayed? There is nothing wrong with saying that in my opinion.

No I think they're talking of the same things, it's just one prefer the packing to be like Apple and the other is fond of MSFT products :/

Serenity

I own just dance. Both sides are right its a pretty crappy game but its fun. Even my wife realizes the controls aren't responsive and there is no point to it but we like to play it. Its sad to see that sales justify a games merits. Everyone hates these games when they are announced for the Wii but if they succeed they become the calling card of "nintendo blue ocean hardlycore" agenda pushing crew.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
US Million sellers from PSX/N64/DC/GBA/DS/PSP/PS2/PS3/Wii/360, Metacritic below 65;
(GameRankings used for PS1 / N64)

Code:
Tetris Worlds GBA		65
Wii Music WII			63
Simpsons Road Rage PS2		64
Sonic Heroes PS2		64
Monopoly PS1			64
Finding Nemo PS2		63
Crash Bandicoot Cortex PS3	62
Mario Party 8 WII		62
Pokemon MD: Blue Rescue DS	62
Enter the Matrix PS2		62
Yoshi's Story N64		62
Tomorrow Never Dies PS1		62
Hannah Montana Music Jam DS	61
Tetris Plus PS1			60
Star Wars Episodes III		60
Wii Play WII			58
Carnival Games WII		56
A Bug's Life PS1		54
DBZ Legacy of Goku GBA		53
Cruisin' USA N64		52
Spec Ops PS1			52
Cars GBA			50
Twisted Metal 3 PS1		49
Tetris Worlds PS2		44
Game Party WII			25
Imagine Babyz DS		NR
Imagine Fashion Design DS	NR
Frogger's Adventures GBA	NR
Finding Nemo GBA		NR
Disney Princess			NR
(games with tied scores are in no particular order, source for million sales is NPD 97-03 spreadsheet leak from years ago combined with any leaked numbers we got since then; I have no access to post-leak ban NPD numbers)

If Just Dance breaks a million in the US, it will be the third worst rated million seller of all time.

Hopefully these sales mean they'll bother licensing all of the master recordings next time.

No Britney on Womanizer was downright criminal. Spare me the Kidz Bop version of 3 in Just Dance II.

RpgN

Mael said:
And with that I beat everyone in the # of posts here....

No I think they're talking of the same things, it's just one prefer the packing to be like Apple and the other is fond of MSFT products :/

XD Ahhh...maybe, there definitely seems to be a conflict going on, ignoring parts that have also been said and only hammering on certain points. But yeah, hmmmm....

Hammer24 said:
There are more than enough comparable games. Maybe JD is so successfull, as it needs no silly mat?

I meant as in no game being better than Just Dance 2 for Acosta and being comparable in the same genre. Because I didn't see him compairing Just Dance 2 with onther dance game on the wii that is actually better to him?

Son of Godzilla said:
This game is pretty fun. I'd buy a Natal just to get a sequel with smarter tracking.
It's not good good, but it's pretty impossible not to like it. Really obvious to see why it's selling when you put it in front of more than two people.

This. My parents bought it and I tried it once when I was over there. Thought it was okay.

Then a week or so later we had a big group over there and my kids and my niece and nephew were playing it four player - I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard watching someone play a game.

I instantly saw why this was a huge seller. For get-togethers, it's immensely entertaining.

Mael

RpgN said:
XD Ahhh...maybe, there definitely seems to be a conflict going on, ignoring parts that have also been said and only hammering on certain points. But yeah, hmmmm....

Actually this comparison is very valid,
I find MSFT designs cluttered and useless in how you can't find anything unless you know beforehand and prefer Apple's school of design of having very few things shown but having only the most vital information on screen.

Some prefer having MSFT's way as it allow them to see directly what they want and avoid sifting through the product to get the info the designers deemed useless.

Just dance is very zen in its design, nothing wasteful there, it might come from utter laziness on Ubi's part but it's still miles ahead of the cluttered mess we're subjected IMO.

gerg

Acosta said:
First, I'm going to say that the tag of SamBishop is the most unfair thing I have seen in this forum in years. Sam has been a great poster for years, and I have seen him giving well argued and balanced arguments even in the most heated discussions. A tag mocking him for a perfectly fair and argumented reason (that you could agree or not) is not what I expect from the high standards I have for the moderation of gaf.

I deny that his argument is reasoned and fair. I deny this because I think that the argument 1) inaccurately and unfairly trivialises a major accomplishment of the game and 2) seems to do so on the basis of the incorrect assumption that all games should have the same design goals.

Personally, I don't give a crap if the game sells a trillion, Just Dance has no merit, it has no design, not technical effort and it´s visuals are unappealing to say the least. What do you expect the critics say?

I deny all of these claims (except, perhaps, the last, for aesthetics might be a matter of pure subjectivity).

Acosta said:

Aside from the claim of its unappealing nature, I think you need to recognise the difference between not doing anything and deciding not to do something. One involves action; the other doesn't. I question how this design decision can be recognised as "lazy".

I disagree with that, I have played and the thing is extremely vague on how it captures movement. You need precision for doing that you are saying and Just Dance doesn't have the means to capture that.

I think there is a successful argument here that certain aspects of Just Dance do not count as a game, but I think that the best way to resolve the argument (that it is either a game or a piece of software) is to categorise it as a piece of software which contains a game within it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
megashock5 said:
This. My parents bought it and I tried it once when I was over there. Thought it was okay.

Then a week or so later we had a big group over there and my kids and my niece and nephew were playing it four player - I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard watching someone play a game.

I instantly saw why this was a huge seller. For get-togethers, it's immensely entertaining.
And for that reason I can support it, even if I don't enjoy it or particularly like the game. Anything that gets consoles being played by families and more accepted by the mainstream has a net good effect on the industry, I feel.

One thing to consider is that not all 2 million people who bought that it was "quality" after playing it (along the lines of millions of people went to see Transformers 2 who thought it was shitty after watching it).

Draft

Hardly surprising. Just Dance is exactly the type of game that succeeds on the Wii. Third parties would be smart to learn from this success and stop trying to sell so called "mature" titles to the Wii audience.

Mael

Serenity said:
but if they succeed they become the calling card of "nintendo blue ocean hardlycore" agenda pushing crew.

I guess we all see that true words were spoken here

Draft said:
Hardly surprising. Just Dance is exactly the type of game that succeeds on the Wii. Third parties would be smart to learn from this success and stop trying to sell so called "mature" titles to the Wii audience.

It should also be the posterchild for Natal and Move.

xray49er

Get the family together, get some alcohol in the adults. This is by far to most fun i had with a wii game since wii sports. Sure it does not look good, sure there are not master tracks for all songs. But for fun and laughs and having a good time with the kids, this game is a blast. My niece got it for christmas and everybody played the next day every kid in my family with a wii went out a bought this game it is very fun whether you are playing or just watching people make a fool of themselves.

Stumpokapow said:
If Just Dance breaks a million in the US, it will be the third worst rated million seller of all time.

It might easily do that. Advertise are everywhere on TV specially when Dancing with the stars is on. It is fun game to play and buzz is high. like above post ^

Top Bottom