• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, before watching the episode, I was kind of hoping for them to reveal or at least hint at Fluttershy's brother being gay, just so we could have a canonically gay semi-major male character in the show. As for Zephyr being gay anyway, I could see that, but with it not so much him hiding it from his family, but him not actually realizing it. Someone could make a fanfic where it's revealed that him hitting on Rainbow is another aspect of him not trying: he's going after someone he knows for sure will turn him down and that he isn't really attracted to.

On another note, Link pone.
small.png

And a great comic based on him already

That reminds me. People have always joked about the reactions ponies and particularly Fluttershy would have to fanfics, and we finally got it.
small.png

Not surprise, embarrassment, or even pity, but sheer contempt.

(Honestly never thought we'd see Fluttershy make this kind of face in the show.)
(I myself am fine with fanfics and even like some, for the record.)

we got an official saying of flutterbutt

as flutterbutter

close enough

I recall Discord saying "Flutterbutter" in "Princess Twilight Sparkle", when he first appears and recaps "Keep Calm and Flutter On", though he may have said something else.

==

Something that surprised me after it was pointed out on other boards: this is an episode where Fluttershy is assertive from start to finish, and is never actually shy. Yet she still feels perfectly in character.

On another note, more Trixie coming! Though I'm not sure if this particularly means this season. Source tweet.

draetenth

Haven't been watching MLP because I was down on Season 5. How is 6?

Well, I loved season 5 so my opinion is going to be a bit different, but I think season 6 is more like season 4. It's more up and down for me without reaching any "great" episode while having more "meh" episodes.

Ok, I haven't followed the show since season 4 but I had to see Fluttershy's brother.

It's really weird knowing his name is Zephyr Breeze when I had my own pony character named Zephyr Wind and my favorite of the main cast is Flutter. It's as if I was watching what would've happened if I wrote an episode. :p

Though Breeze looks a bit too much like Danny Sexbang.

UberTag

Well, I loved season 5 so my opinion is going to be a bit different, but I think season 6 is more like season 4. It's more up and down for me without reaching any "great" episode while having more "meh" episodes.
I count one "great" episode thus far that was universally acclaimed in The Saddle Row Review. Everything else has been varying degrees of fine and/or surprisingly decent given the premise.

PaulloDEC

Season 5 might be my favourite season overall, but S6 is shaping up pretty well too. Hearth's Warming, Saddle Row and Flutter Brutter all count as excellent in my books.

Haven't been watching MLP because I was down on Season 5. How is 6?

I believe season 5 was probably the best of the series, so I'm not sure how much my opinion will be of use. My thoughts on season 6 are that it's generally been solid, but there haven't been any episodes that stand out among the series as a whole like there were in season 5. One attribute some have noticed is that the main characters are more consistently presented as having matured. Rainbow Dash is officially a Wonderbolt, Spike is competent, Rarity is opening even more stores, and we just had a Fluttershy episode where she's assertive from start to finish.

May I ask what you didn't like about season 5? That may allow us to give better feedback.

Anyway, episode roundup. Definitely more to post than last time, and there's even some stuff from last week's episode. Given that, I'll just be linking more stuff, mostly screencaps.

PREVIOUS EPISODE
Twijack Weekly update for the episode
Fixing up Steam
Never Skip Spa Day
small.png
FixingupSteambyJowybean1464989166457.png
NeverSkipSpaDaybydm291464989165295.png

NOTES
ED's followup brought up a good point: a big reason why Zephyr didn't work for a lot of people is that we don't really see the glimmer of potential that Fluttershy and others often bring up. In the woods, Fluttershy says he's smart, and we just have to accept that. Maybe we could have seen an old project of his that is impressive, but Zephyr is afraid of the response it would get, given the work he put into it.

SCREENCAPS
Fluttershy had a lot of interesting Flutterfaces in this episode. I also liked the messy hair look (2) she had briefly. Her hair up was a nice look too.

The Shy family had a nice house. Joker mannequin, and yes, that's how it looked in the episode. Parent portraits with a silly alternate art style. One of the family pictures is based on Lauren Faust's concept art for Fluttershy (comparison in the link), but the removal of the rabbit makes her expression odd. More on that later.

Pinkie's photos, with yet another alternate art style. Nice to see a lot of those faces.

GIFS
Disapproval. Purple disapproval. Rival disapproval. Super disapproval.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Flutterlanguage (small) - I'll also bring up how Dinky is being shown with yet another mare

FANWORKS
Simple comic, but it amused me.

Oh brutter
Alternate ending
As mentioned, in Fluttershy's portrait, why she's making that face when there's no rabbit.
Rainbow Slap
OhbrutterbyAssasinMonkey1465169253753.png
FlutterBrutterbymysticalpha1465082997070.jpg
Portraitonthewallbyluminaura1465082996887.png
SheTotallyDigsMebyNCMares1465082995325.png

FlutterSickOfYoShit
Excuse My Language
No source for this, but this is apparently the artist.
"I have to go help Pinkie sprinkle... something"
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

And two family portraits. Pony, and humanized (wing ears are odd)
small.jpg
small.jpeg

MrPoniator gif
thumb.gif

Okay, this season is getting pretty good now. Still doesn't reach the greatness of season 5, feels a lot like season 4 but this episode was really good. I loved the interactions between Zephyr and Rainbow. Rainbow's face every time he was putting the moves on her was priceless. I also thought the moral was pretty complex and adult for this show, which I liked. But mostly I liked how much Flutters has grown over the seasons. She was very assertive in this episode, but I felt like she was never out-of-character, which sometimes happens on this show. I would honestly rate this as the second best Fluttershy episode, with Hurricane Fluttershy being the best.

PaulloDEC

Maybe a bit better than season 5, but still nowhere near as good as it was in the first four seasons.

It's had one exceptional episode and another pretty good one, but the rest have been okay or kinda lame.

Wait, are there people who put S5 below all of seasons 1 - 4? I'm not sure I've ever heard of any fan being more down on S5 than they were on S3 or S4.

Spanish VA claims a future episode involves going to a convention, complete with pony fans (fans that are ponies) talking about their cosplays. I've noticed that some people are wondering about the accuracy of ED's translation, but the message is extremely simple and filled with English cognates, so there isn't room for ambiguity (besides the previous parentheses). Honestly, I was half expecting for "Flutter Brutter" to involve going to a con, so this isn't too much of a shock for me. Of course, the message itself could be inaccurate.

New book: Twilight Sparkle and the Forgotten Books of Autumn. I've been hoping for a story where Twilight has to go track down magical books for a while, so if that's what this is, it could be interesting.

==

Friends Forever #29 - Rarity and Maud Pie
That was a fun issue. I liked the way Rarity and Maud interacted, though I felt Maud was a bit too wordy, and I feel like Rarity wouldn't be so enthusiastic about meeting up with Maud at the start. I mean, she definitely would hang out with her at the convention and help her with the journey, but we know she has a hard time getting along with her.

Buried Treasure was alright, but seriously, how many Belloqs are there in Equestria? Also, she burned down the bridge so Rarity and Maud couldn't cross... but how was she going to get back? Come to think of it, if there was already a bridge there, then how were they the first to explore the caverns? Unless Treasure's party is the one that set up the bridge in the first place.

Rarity's exaggerated expressions worked well as a contrast to Maud. I liked the scene where Maud's diary revealed what she was really thinking, with earlier panels redone to show her actual emotions. Though with her frequent mentions in it of how amazing Rarity is and that she was glad she was there, Rarity/Maud is suddenly a thing now. Also, I was amused how Maud felt the need to hold down her skirt when they were sliding down the tunnel.

Overall, a fun adventure with interesting character interactions.

==

Remixes of "I Can Do It On My Own". JTH remix, Enermatrix remix.

Earlier I posted fan art suggesting that Fluttershy's portrait from the episode was one of Photo Finish's photos, and that was exactly right. It actually first appeared back in "Green Isn't Your Color", and I guess Fluttershy kept it.

Younger Flutterfam picture
1171423__safe_fluttershy_cute_younger_shyabetes_spoiler-colon-s06e11_flutter%252Bbrutter_zephyr%252Bbreeze_mrs-dot-%252Bshy_mr-dot-%252Bshy.png

Link pony plushies. Apparently no Zephyr plushies yet, but he does have an uncommon body type.
Plushie 1, plushie 2
Linkponybymeplushyou1465390060279.jpg
LinkbyEssorille1465390060367.jpg

I never imagined Fluttershy to be this
PEEVED
since the Grand Galloping Gala. Or even the episode where she needed to be more assertive.

Wait, are there people who put S5 below all of seasons 1 - 4? I'm not sure I've ever heard of any fan being more down on S5 than they were on S3 or S4.
For sure. The problem with Season 3 (other than Twilight becoming a princess to sell new toys) wasn't quality but quantity. Most of the eps were pretty solid, but we didn't have a full 26 episodes to drown out the few that weren't.

Season four was great. Had a few duds, but it also had a smashing opener/closer, introduced Maud Pie, gave us a superhero spoof, a Weird Al cameo, Flutterbat, "Three's a Crowd" which was hilarious, and probably some other stuff too.

It did have some duds ("Simple Ways" is probably the worst this show has given us), and a handful of eps were just kinda boring, like "Twilight Time" but on the whole, it had some amazing high points.

I didn't hate season 5, and the good eps it had were REALLY good, but there were a lot that I thought were just average at best. Hated the finale too.

On the plus side, the newest comic is a lot of fun. Some awesome Rarity facial expressions.

PaulloDEC

Spanish VA claims a future episode involves going to a convention, complete with pony fans (fans that are ponies) talking about their cosplays. I've noticed that some people are wondering about the accuracy of ED's translation, but the message is extremely simple and filled with English cognates, so there isn't room for ambiguity (besides the previous parentheses). Honestly, I was half expecting for "Flutter Brutter" to involve going to a con, so this isn't too much of a shock for me. Of course, the message itself could be inaccurate.

New book: Twilight Sparkle and the Forgotten Books of Autumn. I've been hoping for a story where Twilight has to go track down magical books for a while, so if that's what this is, it could be interesting.

That's a neat title. Kinda interested to see what this one is about.

Remixes of "I Can Do It On My Own". JTH remix, Enermatrix remix.

These are both pretty neat. The original song is a pretty typical "MLP house-style" song (not House the genre, but like the standard sound they use on the show), so I enjoyed hearing it pepped up a bit.

For sure. The problem with Season 3 (other than Twilight becoming a princess to sell new toys) wasn't quality but quantity. Most of the eps were pretty solid, but we didn't have a full 26 episodes to drown out the few that weren't.

Season four was great. Had a few duds, but it also had a smashing opener/closer, introduced Maud Pie, gave us a superhero spoof, a Weird Al cameo, Flutterbat, "Three's a Crowd" which was hilarious, and probably some other stuff too.

It did have some duds ("Simple Ways" is probably the worst this show has given us), and a handful of eps were just kinda boring, like "Twilight Time" but on the whole, it had some amazing high points.

I didn't hate season 5, and the good eps it had were REALLY good, but there were a lot that I thought were just average at best. Hated the finale too.

On the plus side, the newest comic is a lot of fun. Some awesome Rarity facial expressions.

Haha man, we disagree on a lot of things! Always interesting seeing how much variance there is in fan opinion.

I do agree with you (and Sigma) about the Rarity/Maud comic. Not an all-time great, but cute and fun with some nice insight into Maud.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
S3 and S4 were low points for me. S3, not even looking at how short it was, had a pacing problem with the episodes. Lots of episodes seemed to have rushed endings. I blame it partly on the staff trying to wrap up the show, and partly on Meghan getting used to that Editor role. It got better in S4 as far as as pacing problems, but S4 had other issues.

S3 was supposed to be the end. Twilight turns into a Princess. The end.

But it wasn't the end. The show continued and S4 seemed to have no idea what to do with that. It opens with a very lackluster season premiere, and the season arc episodes mostly fell flat (Rarity and Pinkie's being the exception). And then the nonsensical season finale that felt like a Star Wars prequel. A flashy, impressive fight scene, and a nonsensical story to get to that fight. There were a few great episodes, but mostly it felt like a show trying to figure out what to do with itself.

Basically...

xEEctrE.gif

As a reminder, after tomorrow's episode, the show is going on hiatus! No topic title change this time since they were nice enough to actually say so beforehand and didn't claim that the second half of the season was a new season. Like last time, during the break, this thread will be used to discuss the comics, official news, and Equestria Girls. Since the book adaptation of the next EG movie is coming out in September, and those books usually come out after the movies, we might get the movie during the break this time, as opposed to it awkwardly airing on the same day as an episode.

Preview clip for "Spice Up Your Life", which is apparently going to be about South Asian ponies. I haven't listened to the clip myself, so as an Indian, I hope this works out well. The writer is Mike Vogel, and the episode will include a song, part of which you can hear in the clip apparently.

On another note, that Spanish (Latin?) Fluttershy VA is doubling down on the future convention episode info, and says that there's a character named Quibble.

==

My views on the seasons are:

Season 1
Somewhat hard to judge, since it was the first, the point where the fandom was still growing, and what I started the show with. It gets kudos for introducing the world, but it has some negative qualities. For instance, there were moments where it felt too childish, such as the absurd lack of menace Nightmare Moon presented with her attempts as obstacles and that part of "Winter Wrap Up" where they explain what hibernation is, and how it sometimes felt like they were speaking slowly for the sake of the audience. There were a fair amount of weirdly written moments: "Boast Busters" (note how so many people are confused about what Trixie actually did wrong), "Winter Wrap Up" repeating in dialogue what was explained in the song, "Feeling Pinkie Keen"'s moral, "Over a Barrel", etc. It also took a while for them to get the hang of the characters, particularly Rarity and the CMC. I guess Applejack too, due to all of the "background pony" fan jokes about her during this era.

There is also a fair amount of "early installment weirdness", mostly in the first few episodes, but also generally things like how non-Pinkie songs were few and far between. Also compared to later seasons, the animation could be pretty weak, and there were a lot of scenes of ponies just walking from left to right or right to left. You can especially see this in the song "Winter Wrap Up". Now, you get a lot more "3D" movement.

However, there is also a lot of appeal to seeing this world while there's still room to define major qualities, and when the character interactions were still being established. You actually had episodes solely focused on a subset of the Main Six, whereas now there's always some wacky guest star they interact with, and you can't have an episode solely focused on, say, Applejack and Rainbow Dash competing against each other, since that story was mined in season 1. Plus, it's still the only season to have a slice-of-life finale, which isn't something you could do as easily now, both in terms of audience expectations and how major events like Rarity opening a new store, Rainbow Dash joining the Wonderbolts, and the CMC getting their cutie marks are relegated to mid-season. When they returned to the gala, they needed the additional gimmick of Discord and the Smooze, and that was for a mid-season story.

I haven't actually watched season 1 in a long time, so I'm just going off of general recollections from my most recent rewatch, though.

Season 2
I thought season 2 was overall stronger than season 1, but it also had both the most aggravating episode, "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well", and the most disappointing episode, "Dragon Quest". The characters were generally handled in more interesting ways than in season 1, "Mare-Do-Well" aside, but in retrospect, you could see that they were starting to run out of episode ideas for characters once they got past the surface level "Rarity isn't useless just because she's ladylike" and "Twilight worries about friendship" stories. I admire that they largely tried to avoid repeating those sorts of stories, but they seemed to have a hard time coming up with stories that were about a particular character learning and growing (or us learning new things about them) as opposed to reacting to an unusual situation.

Season 2 was also the where the overall quality of the songs was at its peak, I think. Nowadays, I feel like if the episode isn't a full music episode, songs that appear will generally be on the weak side and often will sound similar to previous songs, as Paullo hinted at about "I Can Do It On My Own" in his previous post.

Season 3
This season was definitely the weakest, I felt. As some have put it, it feels like they took the thirteen weakest episodes of an original 26-episode season and just aired those. The stories often felt slow and boring, yet would have sudden resolutions. I still thought there were good episodes, but they generally don't stand out among the series as a whole for me. While people joked about Dash being too good for the Wonderbolts ever since "Sonic Rainboom", "Wonderbolts Academy" really put them in a negative light. Discord turning good was a major victim of the rushed resolutions of the season. "Spike at Your Service" probably takes the cake for worst Spike episode. The entire thing with Twilight, while certainly handled better than it could have been, was a mess, even if the songs in the finale were great.

This was also a time of turmoil in the fandom, with not only a generally weak season and Princess Twilight but also Equestria Girls. A lot of people threatened to leave the fandom, and looking at how much less active it is now than then, I guess they were telling the truth.

As I've said before, I'd be very interested in the crew going into more detail about just what was going on during this season after the show has ended.

Season 4
There were a lot of strong individual episodes, so I suppose I'd place this above season 1, but there were general problems that make me place this below season 2. I view the premiere and final much more favorably than DrForester, but Twilight was definitely badly handled for a lot of the season, most notably in that no one acknowledges she's a princess in a one-part story until more than halfway through. At the same time, they didn't do any "Twilight learns about friendship" or "Twilight goes crazy" episodes, or come up with another way to do a Twilight episode, leaving her in the limbo state of just being the boring "leader" character. That said, they got better with her toward the end of the season, and "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3" is still one of my favorite Twilight episodes.

In theory, having a series of episodes where the Main Six are tempted to go against their Element is an interesting idea, but yeah, only two of the one-episode stories worked out. The issue isn't so much that there was an arc, like people often say, but that each of these episodes was so similar in structure.

Season 5
I consider this season to be the strongest. The season premiere and finale were both great, though I can see why some people dislike the finale. The season is littered with great individual episodes, everyone is handled well (except in "Princess Spike"), and continuity is emphasized much more without becoming a burden. Twilight in particular was a breath of fresh air after two seasons of aimlessness in her character. The map episodes were a good way to justify the castle, expand the world, and force character pairings that the series hadn't explored much or in a while, but there were few enough that it didn't become too repetitive.

Season 6
So far, there hasn't been an amazing individual episode, but it's an overall solid set of episodes, and Starlight turning good is being handled better than previous season story arcs.

So I'd say 5 > 2 > 6 > 4 > 1 > 3
With (2 > 6 > 4) being subject to change depending on my mood, I suppose.

S3 and S4 were low points for me. S3, not even looking at how short it was, had a pacing problem with the episodes. Lots of episodes seemed to have rushed endings. I blame it partly on the staff trying to wrap up the show, and partly on Meghan getting used to that Editor role. It got better in S4 as far as as pacing problems, but S4 had other issues.

S3 was supposed to be the end. Twilight turns into a Princess. The end.

But it wasn't the end. The show continued and S4 seemed to have no idea what to do with that. It opens with a very lackluster season premiere, and the season arc episodes mostly fell flat (Rarity and Pinkie's being the exception). And then the nonsensical season finale that felt like a Star Wars prequel. A flashy, impressive fight scene, and a nonsensical story to get to that fight. There were a few great episodes, but mostly it felt like a show trying to figure out what to do with itself.

Basically...
Wow do we have different opinions :p

I personally did enjoy season 4, in terms of having a pretty decent arc. Twilight vs Tirek was definitely one of my favorite moments from the show.

And I did enjoy season 5 just as much as season 4. It did have the better individual episodes, but it's finale was a disappointment for me; I still cannot get over Starlight's reason for being evil. However, it was far from being the worst thing that happen in the show. Granted I have yet to get started on season 6, given that I'm still waiting for the first half of it to be available on Netflix streaming, and you guys are mentioning Starlight got legitimately handled better,

I guess we can all agree that season 3 was definitely the worst.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jim Miller confirmed a Zap2It Episode list for the remainder of the season. No synopsis, just titles. Keep in mind Episode 9 was moved to later in the season.

1. The Crystalling - Part 1
2. The Crystalling - Part 2
3. The Gift of the Maud Pie
4. On Your Marks
5. Gauntlet of Fire
6. No Second Prances
7. Newbie Dash
8. A Hearth's Warming Tail
9. The Fault in Our Cutie Marks
10. Saddle Row & Rec
11. Applejack's "Day" Off
12. Flutter Brutter
13. Spice Up Your Life
14. Stranger Than Fan Fiction
15. The Cart Before the Ponies
16. 28 Pranks Later
17. The Times Are a Changeling
18. Dungeons and Discords
19. Sizing You Down
20. Pet Peeves
21. Where No Pony Has Gone Before
22. Caving In
23. Frights, Camera, Action!
24. Spell it Out
25. Flurry Heart of the Swarm - Part 1
26. Flurry Heart of the Swarm - Part 2

I am going to be very let down if they redeem Chrysalis...

That list you posted (taken from a 'chan last month) is only accurate up to episode 18, since 19 is instead called "Buck Ball Season".
zaplist.png

It's possible that one of them was renamed, but I'd take 19 and on with a grain of salt. Thus, I won't comment on those.

Still, there are some interesting-sounding episodes there. I'm guessing "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" is the convention episode, perhaps with fans of the Main Six guessing what they're really like, similar to the Batman: The Animated Series (season 4) episode where kids imagine what Batman is like.

"The Times are a Changeling" is one of the confirmed episode titles, so we're definitely getting more changelings. I didn't expect for one to be in a one-episode story. "Dungeons & Discords" sounds like it could be fun, perhaps with Discord bringing a DnD game to life.

Wow, 28 Days Later and StarCraft II references. Looking forward to more Changelings. Sounds like Changelings are coming to the Crystal Empire in Flurry Heart of the Swarm. I wonder if it would be too much to ask for Cadance and Shining Armor to get PTSD from the last battle.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wow, 28 Days Later and StarCraft II references.

There's a ton of references in those episode titles.

The Fault in Our Stars
Stranger than Fiction
The Times They Are a Changing - Bob Dylan
Dungeons and Dragons
Star Trek

And this week's episode reminds me of the Spice Girls.

McNum

"Stranger Than Fan Fiction"

Oh dear, this one is going to be really, really weird, I think. That'll be fun.

Orcastar

Looking forward to Chrysalis kidnapping Flurry Heart and turning her into some kind of Queen of Blades style half changeling monster who ultimately breaks free of Chrysalis' control, usurps her as the ruler of the changelings and brings about peace between changelings and ponies.

Yeah, not gonna happen.

draetenth

Another good episode imo (though predictable - which I guess can somewhat be waived away as it being a children show, but that shouldn't really be an excuse imo). It was good to see the map again. For me, season 6 is starting to hit it's stride (5 > 6 > 1 = 2 > 4 > 3).

I liked the new ponies. I liked the song (though it went on a bit too long). I've experienced eating at high quality restaurants that tasted terrible and eaten at unrated ones that have been great so I could understand what was going on.

I found it odd that they had the same butler in every restaurant, then I see it's a line of clones twins. It's also nice to see Canterlot not be so snobby about things like who comes in and food.

PS. I don't like Indian food.

Holy shit, I didn't make the connection, but this makes perfect sense! I'm disappointed they didn't reference that line now. Though I always felt Babu's failure was his own fault.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty decent episode. The song was pretty good. I like the design of the new characters, but I feel they didn't do enough.

It was odd that there was an in-universe reason for the map not having given missions in a while. I wonder if the "glitch" missions were all real, in which case, the Twilight and Twilight mission could be PonyTwi and SciTwi, like I suggested for a comic issue in the Community thread (I think).

At first I didn't like how Rarity was so gung-ho about changing the restaurant, especially considering that comic issue where she helps those hippies, but I imagine she viewed it more as them getting the three-hoof rating and then they could do what they actually wanted.

I like that they didn't go for tandoori chicken, naan, tikka masala, and generic curry for the food, especially after watching that Chef's Table episode about the Indian chef. Granted, they went with food I don't recognize as Indian, but there's a lot of Indian food and I'm hardly an expert. In general, they seemed to be going for generically South Asian / Middle Eastern as opposed to any particular country, which I'm half and half on, but it's not a big deal.

I'm glad that they didn't go the route of the critic trying the food and declaring the restaurant great. In the end, she just has a really weird sense of taste and that's fine, but she shouldn't be imposing it on everyone. Some people are interpreting the moral as criticizing, well, criticism, but it's more about forcing your preferences on others.

One problem with the episode is that these foreign characters had to be saved by the "American" main characters. This isn't a problem taking this episode on its own, but it is when you take all forms of media together and see how often this happens. It could have helped if the father and daughter played a more active role in turning the restaurant around. That said, I like how Rarity used her influence in Canterlot to help the restaurant.

I was wondering how helping one restaurant would be a map-worthy mission, but I suppose helping a part of Canterlot that was under the "rule" of one critic counts. I liked how the restaurant inspired the other chefs to make what they actually want.

Overall, decent episode with some issues.

My opinion on the season as a whole hasn't changed since my last big post about it. It's been solid but not amazing. However, it looks like there will be some interesting stuff in the rest of the season.

And now I can finally update my bingo card! "Mid-season break" and "The Cutie Map continues providing missions". I was going to check off "Starlight has a speaking role in at least three one-part episodes", but then I got a feeling and checked, and indeed, Starlight doesn't actually say anything. So I guess next half-season. There are several points where I'm two away from a bingo, but I'm not sure if those will happen.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
One problem with the episode is that these foreign characters had to be saved by the "American" main characters. This isn't a problem taking this episode on its own, but it is when you take all forms of media together and see how often this happens. It could have helped if the father and daughter played a more active role in turning the restaurant around. That said, I like how Rarity used her influence in Canterlot to help the restaurant.

In the end, the restaurant succeeds mostly on its own merits. Rarity and Pinkie didn't really change what the restaurant was before. Rarity just uses her influence to get people to try it. A huge part of the message of the story is to embrace your own cultural uniqueness and flavor so I don't think anything here is that problematic.

draetenth

Eh, I think the daughter sticking to her cooking is what helped things the most. She's the one who inspired her father about cooking like they used to and up until that point Rarity and Pinkie were arguing over who messed things up. It wasn't until after that scene when Rarity tried that food that she decided that the critic wasn't that important and that she and Pinkie Pie had the wrong roles.

PaulloDEC

Good episode I think. Not amazing, but a nice story with an interesting conflict. Rarity is practical and recognises what the real world is like; do whatever you need to do to get the three-hoof rating, even if that means changing yourself to suit others. Pinkie on the other hand assumes the best in everyone to a fault, believing that good things will come to good people.

The switch in tasks at the end I thought was particularly clever. Pinkie is a master of self-expression, and Rarity is business-savvy and has clout in Canterlot.

The song was neat, but not in a typically crowd-pleasing way. Probably won't get many replays from me, but it was a nice touch and added a little extra variety to the ep.

In the end, the restaurant succeeds mostly on its own merits. Rarity and Pinkie didn't really change what the restaurant was before. Rarity just uses her influence to get people to try it. A huge part of the message of the story is to embrace your own cultural uniqueness and flavor so I don't think anything here is that problematic.

I'd agree with that. Really, all the restaurant needed was some good press (which Rarity was able to provide) and a little crisis to bring the father and daughter closer together (which just sorta happened). Half of what Rarity and Pinkie did was undoing their earlier screw-up.

Finally, updated bingo card. There's a few space on there I could probably take (Rarity's Parents, Romantic Themes, The Darkest Thing Yet), but I kinda wanna see if the latter half of the season can do them better.

I acknowledge that Rarity and Pinkie's interference was completely justified in-universe, with the food critic's preferences making it impossible for a unique style to survive, but I'm just a bit miffed that they went this set-up. Not enough to really bring down the episode, to be clear. In fact, I realize now that part of why I liked the food critic never coming around on the food is that this meant it wasn't a case where Saffron could have done stuff on her own to get a better rating.

Anyway, we got a remix already.

PaulloDEC

I acknowledge that Rarity and Pinkie's interference was completely justified in-universe, with the food critic's preferences making it impossible for a unique style to survive, but I'm just a bit miffed that they went this set-up. Not enough to really bring down the episode, to be clear. In fact, I realize now that part of why I liked the food critic never coming around on the food is that this meant it wasn't a case where Saffron could have done stuff on her own to get a better rating.

Anyway, we got a remix already.

JTH has been stupidly fast recently. I was actually spoiled on there being a song in Flutter Brutter because the tablet I watch the show on threw up a Youtube notification about his remix. This was like, 6 hours after broadcast, tops.

Jay RaR

Hmm...wasn't feeling this episode.

I didn't like the premise and Rarity as well as most of Canterlot conforming to ONE pony's critique on food really bothered me. Rarity of all ponies should know better than to conform to the status quo despite the place being in Canterlot and being a fashion designer. Even when Pinkie was advertising the place, she couldn't even convince Minuette, Lemon Hearts, and Twinkleshine to try out the place even when they're friends. That just didn't sit right with me. And Rarity managing to get a crowd of ponies to try out the restaurant by herself was a little unbelievable to me.

The Bollywood-like song was good however.

PaulloDEC

Hmm...wasn't feeling this episode.

I didn't like the premise and Rarity as well as most of Canterlot conforming to ONE pony's critique on food really bothered me. Rarity of all ponies should know better than to conform to the status quo despite the place being in Canterlot and being a fashion designer. Even when Pinkie was advertising the place, she couldn't even convince Minuette, Lemon Hearts, and Twinkleshine to try out the place even when they're friends. That just didn't sit right with me. And Rarity managing to get a crowd of ponies to try out the restaurant by herself was a little unbelievable to me.

The Bollywood-like song was good however.

I didn't notice that some of the ponies Pinkie spoke to were friends, but that aside the setup felt authentic to me. Rarity is a practical character; establishing a task and executing it on a deadline is something she well knows how to do. The task at the restaurant was getting them a 3-hoof rating, so she approached it via the most direct route possible.

As for recruiting customers, Rarity must be something approaching a superstar in Canterlot by this point. In addition to being one of those six ponies who keeps saving the known world, she's an established up-and-coming designer with boutiques in three different locations. Pinkie might know how to party, but she can't compete with that (especially when the task is catching the attention of the stuck-up jerks who live in Canterlot).

Jay RaR

I didn't notice that some of the ponies Pinkie spoke to were friends, but that aside the setup felt authentic to me. Rarity is a practical character; establishing a task and executing it on a deadline is something she well knows how to do. The task at the restaurant was getting them a 3-hoof rating, so she approached it via the most direct route possible.

As for recruiting customers, Rarity must be something approaching a superstar in Canterlot by this point. In addition to being one of those six ponies who keeps saving the known world, she's an established up-and-coming designer with boutiques in three different locations. Pinkie might know how to party, but she can't compete with that (especially when the task is catching the attention of the stuck-up jerks who live in Canterlot).

Yes, I get that Rarity's main goal for the new restaurant was for it to be 3-star approved by ONE critic but even then Rarity should've realized how wrong that view is despite probably having the same tastes as said critic.

As for the second point, I do concede that Rarity is (or probably since Sweet and Elite) a known Canterlot celebrity and that Pinkie might be out of her element in Canterlot. Still to gather ALL those ponies with no objections from other celebrities other than the critic is a bit of a stretch imo. And the "saving the world" excuse won't fly since Pinkie is one too? lol (Also calling Minuette a stuck-up jerk kinda hurts haha)

PaulloDEC

Yes, I get that Rarity's main goal for the new restaurant was for it to be 3-star approved by ONE critic but even then Rarity should've realized how wrong that view is despite probably having the same tastes as said critic.

As for the second point, I do concede that Rarity is (or probably since Sweet and Elite) a known Canterlot celebrity and that Pinkie might be out of her element in Canterlot. Still to gather ALL those ponies with no objections from other celebrities other than the critic is a bit of a stretch imo. And the "saving the world" excuse won't fly since Pinkie is one too? lol (Also calling Minuette a stuck-up jerk kinda hurts haha)

Ha, well maybe not all of them are stuck-up jerks. Just most :p As for the "saving the world" stuff, I suspect that's probably of secondary value to the average Canterlot citizen. World saving isn't very "high society" after all.

And I dunno, I kinda see the value in Rarity's approach. I mean, who's to stop the restauranteurs from just changing their place back the way it was the moment they've got their 3-hoof rating? Fake it for an evening and then have the best of both worlds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom