• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulloDEC

Nohar

... I liked the Sweep song. Does it make me bad person?

Anyhow, this season is off a great start, with some fantastic episodes.

... I liked the Sweep song. Does it make me bad person?

Don't worry, I think it was cute. Plus, I honestly think it's nice to have a season 1/2 style meme in the fandom again.

PREVIOUS EPISODE
Still a bunch of stuff coming out for "A Hearth's Warming Tail". Here's an interpretation of the removed Discord scene, with no dialogue. No jokes or anything, just a straightforward presentation.

174UDSI's remixes
The Seeds of the Past
Luna's Future

The Cauldron's Tails
TheCauldronsTailsbyAssasinMonkey1463870570469.png

SCREENCAPS
Adorable dust reactions. Dash being smug about knowing that chairs aren't clothes. Twilight trying to seduce the reporter. Better look at the shoulder Rarities. Note that Angel Rarity's halo is made of hay. And I guess not quite a screencap, but Rarity's store's logo.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
small.jpg
small.png
small.jpg

GIFS
Sneezing forever. Twilight needing her fix. Fluttershy in the wrong neighborhood.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Dance party!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

FANART
Sniffle
OCD to the max
What Would Rarity Do?
S6E09Snifflebyluminaura1463870572583.png
S6E09OCDtothemaxbyluminaura1463960265062.png
WhatWouldRarityDobyTheRandomJoyrider1463960262389.png

Pony Faces
Tempted Diamonds
PonyFacesbyTsitra3601463960263232.png
TemptedDiamondsbyJowybean1463960264806.png

Plaid Stripe art
Spoon
Lord of the Spoons
SpoonbyCelebiYoshi1463870572900.png
EpisodeSpeedpaintLordoftheSpoonsbySilFoe1463870573232.jpg

Dancing ponies art
Dancing Pony
Group shot
DancingPonybyiojknmiojknm1463960263665.png
bykemonocorner1463960262596.jpg

Comics, both about Rainbow's clothing recognition skills.
Rainbow Dash: Fashion Reviewer
Spontaneous Hiring

SWEEP MEME
Linking to gif of the sweeping march

174UDSI remix
Gene Gadget (Sonic 3D Blast) remix
The sweeping has allowed for this old meme to be dusted off. When I'm Sweeping.

And a bunch of fanart.
Sweep 3
Sweep Sweep Sweep
Sweep pickings
Sweep Sweep
byncmares1463870575184.jpg
SweepSweepSweepQuickiebyRubyW321463960264684.png
small.png
SweepSweepbyCRPonies1463960263670.png

Twilight the Sweeper (Parappa the Rapper)
MrPoniator gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Orcastar

Good episode, definitely one of the best of the season so far.

Was anyone else initially confused by the pink pony dancing at the club? She looked so much like Pinkie that I thought the joke was that Pinkie had been so excited about the club that she donned some kind of party getup and rushed up there ahead of Rarity.

Good episode, definitely one of the best of the season so far.

Was anyone else initially confused by the pink pony dancing at the club? She looked so much like Pinkie that I thought the joke was that Pinkie had been so excited about the club that she donned some kind of party getup and rushed up there ahead of Rarity.

Wellllll
small.png

EDIT:
Get well soon, Coco
GetwellsoonCocobyluminaura1464038136668.png

Finally got around to the new episode, and god damn is it hysterical! It's been ages since an MLP ep got me to laugh this hard and this consistently, but this one nailed it. Basically everything I want from this show.

Only wish Spike had showed up for a bit.

Really hoping this is the upswing I've been waiting for, since the first few eps of this season really didn't do it for me.

"Applejack's 'Day' Off" preview clip.

Writers are the Fox brothers, who wrote "The Gift of Maud Pie".

Has anyone else noticed that only one episode this season has actually been written by women? Compared to how season 1 had most episodes be written by women, I honestly find this kind of troubling. Like if any show should have majority woman writers, it should be this. I doubt this is intentional, but as more of the woman writers have left the show or been promoted, the open slots were filled without paying mind to the gender ratio.

PaulloDEC

Has anyone else noticed that only one episode this season has actually been written by women? Compared to how season 1 had most episodes be written by women, I honestly find this kind of troubling. Like if any show should have majority woman writers, it should be this. I doubt this is intentional, but as more of the woman writers have left the show or been promoted, the open slots were filled without paying mind to the gender ratio.

As you say, I wonder if this is just a sort of "normalising" effect, i.e. in the beginning there was a conscious effort to employ female writers and over time that effort has faded and the ratio has fallen into line with that of the industry as a whole.

Of course that assumes that the industry is primarily male, which I don't know for sure at all.

I think this episode was OK. I don't think I've ever been so interested in a spa before. I guess another moral to this episode is "don't be a workaholic".

I feel like we haven't had an episode that was straightforwardly about a moral like this for a while. I was reminded a lot of a season 1 episode, but if you compare it to "Applebuck Season", there are far fewer wacky moments. So, the episode was just dull, I felt.

All I really feel worth noting are:
* An Applejack farming episode... that did not involve farming apples at all!
* I'm glad the thing Twilight had trouble with made sense for her to have trouble with.

I mentioned before that "The Gift of Maud Pie" was largely carried by the animation and things that would have come in at the storyboarding stage, and when you leave those aspects out of consideration, the episode is pretty dull. This episode by the same writers didn't have visuals to pick up the slack, and it was dull, so I'll just go ahead and consider the Fox Brothers weak writers for this show.

I feel like one way to improve the episode would have been to spread it over multiple days, or at least multiple attempts to get Applejack to relax. On day one, Twilight has trouble with one of Applejack's tasks and Applejack gets hung up with fixing a problem elsewhere, but the thing Twilight has trouble with is something where the extra steps Applejack asks for seem odd but make some sense when she explains it. Repeat this for days 2 and 3, but ramping up the absurdity of what Applejack asks for, until finally Twilight and Rarity have enough.

Fat4all

Banned
I think I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. Not as much as the last one, but I liked the simpler pace of it in a few places.

PaulloDEC

Pretty average episode for me. I feel like there was definitely a good point being made, but the timing/pacing felt a bit off.

I think this episode was OK. I don't think I've ever been so interested in a spa before. I guess another moral to this episode is "don't be a workaholic".

I think they were going more for "Work smarter, not harder", what with all the stuff about removing unnecessary steps and streamlining your process.

Unfortunately it came across a bit more like "Applejack does a bunch of crazy stuff without realising it and is generally a bit crap at basic efficiency". I wonder whether it might've been better if rather than making Applejack's processes seem obviously bloated and silly they were more unnecessarily precise and overwrought?

Like, maybe rather than just giving the pigs scraps, she was chopping all the food up nicely for them? Then Twilight and Rarity could point out that the pigs actually don't care either way. The sort of thing that makes AJ seem like she's putting extra effort where it isn't needed, rather than just straight up wasting time.

Like, maybe rather than just giving the pigs scraps, she was chopping all the food up nicely for them? Then Twilight and Rarity could point out that the pigs actually don't care either way. The sort of thing that makes AJ seem like she's putting extra effort where it isn't needed, rather than just straight up wasting time.
I think they should have done both. Start off with the simply odd and end with the crazy. Like:

Day 1: Feed the chickens, give each an individualized selection of feed. Twilight notes that the chickens don't seem to particularly care which they eat when she accidentally mixes some up. Applejack insists that it matters.

Day 2: Watering the plants. Applejack wants each section watered for a very specific amount of time, so each has to be watered individually, but Twilight sees no evidence that this is necessary.

Day 3: The pig stuff.

PaulloDEC

I think they should have done both. Start off with the simply odd and end with the crazy. Like:

Day 1: Feed the chickens, give each an individualized selection of feed. Twilight notes that the chickens don't seem to particularly care which they eat when she accidentally mixes some up. Applejack insists that it matters.

Day 2: Watering the plants. Applejack wants each section watered for a very specific amount of time, so each has to be watered individually, but Twilight sees no evidence that this is necessary.

Day 3: The pig stuff.

That sounds better. Weird and fussy are fine, incompetent less so.

draetenth

Hmm, I think I liked it. It wasn't great or anything, but at least it kept my attention without any wacky or cringe moments. It does seem like it had a stronger focus on a moral (I think I agree with it being along the lines of "work smarter, not harder").

Honestly, I have been in situations where someone would get stuck in a routine for so long that it does take someone else who can give an outside view of things to make things work better/smoother so the moral was a good one imo.

I liked seeing the ponies in the spa (we even got to see the cakes there - with the husband (whose name escapes me at the moment, carrot?) getting a rough workout from Bulk Biceps).

It was hard for me to understand the spa ponies with their accents though I did like them.

Still, why do ponies have pigs? I can understand the chickens for the eggs, but why pigs?

Still, why do ponies have pigs? I can understand the chickens for the eggs, but why pigs?

Lauren Faust's explanation from back in the day is that pigs eat up leftover scraps of food, IIRC. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it is what it is.
EDIT: Oh right, they also track down truffles for the ponies. Again, it doesn't make sense to have so many pigs if that's all they do, but whatever.

On another note,
small.png

"Let me look on you with my own eyes, darling."

PaulloDEC

Hmm, I think I liked it. It wasn't great or anything, but at least it kept my attention without any wacky or cringe moments. It does seem like it had a stronger focus on a moral (I think I agree with it being along the lines of "work smarter, not harder").

Honestly, I have been in situations where someone would get stuck in a routine for so long that it does take someone else who can give an outside view of things to make things work better/smoother so the moral was a good one imo.

I liked seeing the ponies in the spa (we even got to see the cakes there - with the husband (whose name escapes me at the moment, carrot?) getting a rough workout from Bulk Biceps).

It was hard for me to understand the spa ponies with their accents though I did like them.

I'd never actually considered that. Pig eggs?

On another note,
small.png

"Let me see you with my own eyes, darling."

Oh my god.

woopWOOP

Living garbage disposals, huh? Yeah sure I guess that'd work.

Still it's kinda weird that the pigs aren't... sentient like the cows and sheep are. Just regular ass pigs.
Atleast it makes sense they're in a pen then, whereas locking up the sheep is just plain messed up.

For boar bristle brushes for the barbershop of course :p. That and they're adorable!

Living garbage disposals, huh? Yeah sure I guess that'd work.

Still it's kinda weird that the pigs aren't... sentient like the cows and sheep are. Just regular ass pigs.
Atleast it makes sense they're in a pen then, whereas locking up the sheep is just plain messed up.

The rule that the crew gave during the first season was that only hoofed animals and mythological creatures can talk. But they've been inconsistent about that even in season 1, so who knows.

Honestly, not much to post about for this episode. For "Newbie Dash", I merely thought the fan art was uninteresting, but there simply isn't much fan art for this episode. So screw it, you guys are getting about as much "The Saddle Row Review" fan work as "Applejack's 'Day' Off" fan work.

PREVIOUS EPISODE
"Sweep Sweep" remix that I liked.

It was bound to happen
Rarity's diet
Sweep a dud wub (speaking of which, new consistently updating art blog to follow, though I guess it's been going on for a while)
Rave pony
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

THIS EPISODE
Screencaps
Mandatory screencap of wrinkly Rarity. Unexpected Spoiled Rich speaking appearance. New breakout character!
vlcsnap-00003.png
vlcsnap-00044.png
vlcsnap-00046.png

Applejack fixing things
Fixed it
An Apple Day Off
small.png
AnAppleDayOffbyAssasinMonkey1464557799673.png

Scootaloo stuff
Intense chicken fight
Something else
small.png
thumb.gif

MrPoniator gif
thumb.gif

Anyone noticed the spa scene with Spoiled Rich bragging about living in a mansion?

I saw a collective eyeroll from the waiting ponies after that line. They know her very well.

I enjoyed the episode. I'm constantly on both sides of this at work. Seeing things people got used to that annoy the heck out of me so I fix it. And tons of things I just got used to but are really bloated and slow processes.

Oh yeah, I suppose the sentience of the Pinkie Pie clones has become a relevant question again. Assuming that the one we saw in "The Saddle Row Review" really was one of those clones and not a changeling like some people are suggesting, then that means they really did have a significant amount of independence if given the chance. Still, I doubt the Mirror Pool world is particularly unpleasant, it's just that Equestria is exciting and new. I view it as being similar to the breezies hanging out in Fluttershy's cottage when their place was elsewhere, except the danger is to the person being cloned instead of themselves.

Anyone noticed the spa scene with Spoiled Rich bragging about living in a mansion?

I saw a collective eyeroll from the waiting ponies after that line. They know her very well.
Yeah, I was really surprised to see her return in this way. I kind of wonder if she had additional scenes planned, but they were removed for whatever reason early on, which accounts for the padding elsewhere.

I enjoyed the episode. I'm constantly on both sides of this at work. Seeing things people got used to that annoy the heck out of me so I fix it. And tons of things I just got used to but are really bloated and slow processes.
A lot of people have pointed out that the moral of this episode feels like something much more relevant to adults than children, and that more over, it feels like a corporate video that licensed the use of ponies. Children don't really have many routines that could be made more efficient or actual work to do, so I'm struggling to think about how it could be applied to them. Perhaps just a general "your friends can help you" moral?

Anyway, a bit more "Applejack's 'Day' Off" stuff.

Recent episodes have been reviving all sorts of memes. Techno Chickenjack brings back that one song that was used in the old Scootaloo chicken meme videos.

I thought this pose was pretty cute.
thumb.gif

This is a pretty good humanization, but it might be questionable. It just depicts shoulder and arm rubs with no nudity, but I'll leave it linked just in case. EDIT: DeviantArt says it's mature content, but I don't see anything bad, and the Derpibooru tags don't list anything mature. EDIT: I'll just link to the artist's account instead. It's the one called Aj,RD's secret.

And finally, in retrospect, I'm amazed it took this long. Ferris Bueler's Day Off parody.
small.png

draetenth

Well, the next episode is the one involving Fluttershy
's brother
so I'm looking forward to it. At least, I was until I learned that the writer will be Dave Rapp, the same guy who did Newbie Dash. I have a sick feeling in my stomach now that this is going to be another episode with cringe worthy scenes that will make it hard for me to watch. There's also some spoiler/preview clips around, but I'm trying to avoid them so I don't know what they show.

I suppose if you didn't mind Newbie Dash/the cringe moments, you will be fine. Who knows, with my expectations now low and prepared for the cringe, I may enjoy the episode more than if I didn't learn who wrote it...

Well, the next episode is the one involving Fluttershy
's brother
so I'm looking forward to it. At least, I was until I learned that the writer will be Dave Rapp, the same guy who did Newbie Dash. I have a sick feeling in my stomach now that this is going to be another episode with cringe worthy scenes that will make it hard for me to watch. There's also some spoiler/preview clips around, but I'm trying to avoid them so I don't know what they show.

I suppose if you didn't mind Newbie Dash/the cringe moments, you will be fine. Who knows, with my expectations now low and prepared for the cringe, I may enjoy the episode more than if I didn't learn who wrote it...

Preview was already pretty cringe for me, so I don't have much hope at all for this episode. Sucks because fluttershy was written great in the sweep episode but now she's probably going to get shit on again in this one. I hope not, but like you said the writer doesn't exactly inspire much confidence..

I think it's way too early to say that a David Rapp episode will naturally have cringe moments.

The preview clip, by the way, which includes Flutterfam. I haven't watched the clip yet, but I looked at the thumbnail, and I love the way they look.

PaulloDEC

David Rapp writing this one doesn't concern me much. Newbie Dash was pretty good overall IMO, and one kinda goofy sequence isn't enough to put a black mark next to his name for me.

Clip looks good, too.

UberTag

David Rapp writing this one doesn't concern me much. Newbie Dash was pretty good overall IMO, and one kinda goofy sequence isn't enough to put a black mark next to his name for me.

Clip looks good, too.
For his sake I hope tomorrow's episode delivers. Seems like the Pony community is ready to decry his name like a proverbial lynch mob if it doesn't.

PaulloDEC

For his sake I hope tomorrow's episode delivers. Seems like the Pony community is ready to decry his name like a proverbial lynch mob if it doesn't.

I'd love for him to knock it out of the park, but hopefully he isn't too worried about what the fan community has to say in either case. There's going to be crazies who get mad no matter what he does, especially given how much this episode is going to mess with peoples' fanon.

A lot of people have pointed out that the moral of this episode feels like something much more relevant to adults than children, and that more over, it feels like a corporate video that licensed the use of ponies. Children don't really have many routines that could be made more efficient or actual work to do, so I'm struggling to think about how it could be applied to them. Perhaps just a general "your friends can help you" moral?
An outside opinion can help. That's a good moral for all ages.

draetenth

Well, I found it to be a pretty good episode afterall (though I did have low expectations). Can't wait to see gifs of Fluttershy and RD "swearing" and the mother covering her foal's ears in response.

So Fluttershy's parents are named Mr. and Mrs. Shy. Makes me wonder how family names work. You have the cakes and now the shys, but I think they are the only two families that seem to share a name (and the pies I think... Pinkie Pie, Maud PIe, but i can't really remember off the top of my head).

Wasn't really expecting a song (or Zephyr to sing too), but it was pretty decent imo (and that's usually the weakest part of episodes for me).

I thought Fluttershy was pretty well done in this episode. The animation continued to be good. Who knew that Fluttershy's parents would have the same quiet personality as her and her brother would be the one with a vastly different personality.

I'm glad I got this live as my DVR wasn't recording it (the episode was listed as My Little Pony instead of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic which is enough for the dvr to think it was a different show...).

I've read complaints about how the family looked, but I thought they looked fine.

I got Simpsons vibes from the end when Zephyr was talking about how it was better to never try than to try and fail (it was something like that).

I was expecting Zephyr Breeze to be afraid of trying jobs all throughout the episode, instead we got an arrogant jerk. What I'm surprised the most is Fluttershy and her "I'm not putting up with this" attitude. It really shows how she's changed since the beginning of the series.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This episode had fairly adult themes for a kids show. Moving out and being independent probably isn't something the target audience will be worrying about for another 10 years at least. Although I guess the final "if you don't try at all you'll never succeed" theme is pretty important.

draetenth

I was expecting Zephyr Breeze to be afraid of trying jobs all throughout the episode, instead we got an arrogant jerk. What I'm surprised the most is Fluttershy and her "I'm not putting up with this" attitude. It really shows how she's changed since the beginning of the series.

Well he was afraid of failure so he was in a way afraid of trying jobs (though you are right in that he was an arrogant jerk - though I chuckled at the Zephyr Breeze + Rainbow Dash stuff).

Yeah, I watched Dragonshy yesterday. It's amazing to think Fluttershy went from someone afraid of their own shadows to slowly learning to stand up for herself, leading to this episode.

I thought this was a pretty enjoyable episode.

One thing I'm glad about is that Zephyr Breeze is specifically Fluttershy's younger brother. Not only is this something new (all other Main Six brothers have been older), but I'm amused by how this character will make no sense at all in the Equestria Girls world unless he's changed a lot. I also liked seeing a younger brother who is much taller than his older sister, since that's exactly what I am.

Concerning Zephyr being a jerk to his parents, I saw it as him asserting himself in the one way he felt comfortable, and his parents were such pushovers that he honestly just thought it was OK when they didn't object. When he got called out about it, he didn't actually get angry, just sort of confused. And I can actually relate to him delaying starting a task and getting annoyed when people want him to start doing it right away. All that was missing was him actually getting started on a task, but then taking a break and never getting back to it.

I was amused by Zephyr thinking Rainbow Dash was attracted to him, with even his parents believing him. I'd be interested in seeing a fan comic where colt Zephyr meets... older filly Rainbow and becomes convinced she pines for him. However, I feel like we didn't see enough of how Zephyr acts outside of being lazy and inconsiderate. Like, I can't imagine how he would act in some short speaking appearance in a later episode.

I was amused by how everyone already knew about him. I could understand Rainbow, but that fact that even Applejack and Pinkie knew about him surprised me.

As for Fluttershy's parents, I liked them. They were mild-mannered, but I don't think they had the same crippling social anxiety that early Fluttershy had. Like, I could see Flutterdad getting along with his coworkers and maybe being part of a bowling team. I wonder if their names actually include "Shy", or if it's a pony thing where you use the last part of the name of your friend to refer to the family. Like, would friends of Zephyr refer to them as "Mr. and Mrs. Breeze"?

I liked how Fluttershy was handled here, with a clear evolution to her character being demonstrated. If this happened in season 1, everyone would be saying it was out of character, but it makes total sense now.

The song was alright. I don't remember much of it, and the visuals were unexciting.

One minor thing I was disappointed by: when Zephyr was in the forest, they should have zoomed out and showed that he was right next to Zecora's house. I also feel like they could have used a wacky montage of Zephyr failing at jobs, but I did like how the Wonderbolts job was completely off screen and unexplained, with us just seeing the end result. I was also kind of hoping for Zephyr to bring up that Fluttershy became a world-famous model without even trying, but it was good that he brought up the world saving thing.

Last week's AJ episode: was great until the last few minutes when we find out AJ was acting like an idiot the whole time. Like, really, you don't know you can't just toss food in there and the pigs will eat it? FFS AJ. You're supposed to be one of the smart ones!

This week's ep: It's hard to really judge an episode where one of hte main characters is someone you're supposed to hate. I mean, success. I hated Zephyr. He struck a bit close to home since I lived with the folks way longer than I should have, but I also wasn't a complete freeloading cock with no social awareness of the outside world.

He might be one of the most annoying characters this show introduced.

But he was supposed to be.

So I kinda didn't like the episode for the exact reasons I was supposed to not like it. I think?

PaulloDEC

I thought that was f*ckin' excellent. Great pacing, funny, surprising and with a satisfying climax.

I was amused by Zephyr thinking Rainbow Dash was attracted to him, with even his parents believing him. I'd be interested in seeing a fan comic where colt Zephyr meets... older filly Rainbow and becomes convinced she pines for him. However, I feel like we didn't see enough of how Zephyr acts outside of being lazy and inconsiderate. Like, I can't imagine how he would act in some short speaking appearance in a later episode.

I was amused by how everyone already knew about him. I could understand Rainbow, but that fact that even Applejack and Pinkie knew about him surprised me.

These two I absolutely loved. The running gag of Zephyr hitting on Dash got me every time, especially the final one back at Fluttershy's parents' house. Everyone already knowing about Zephyr on the other hand was one of my favourite things about the episode. It made the whole scenario feel authentic and believable, which is something "A Canterlot Wedding" kinda lacked.

Also, this:

sWRb.gif

ZealousD

You know even though Zephyr was hitting on Rainbow Dash, my gaydar was going off on him anyway. He was pretty flamboyant.

ZealousD

gaydar spikes up all over this show in general.

Ehhhh... I guess mine doesn't go off as much as other people's. I think people try to ship gay relationships where none is ever hinted or imply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom