• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
That ability doesn't even make sense. So he guides you but 3/3s or bigger can still see them? Also again where a red ability bleeds into another colour.

187.jpg

Must be moving.

Wait what? Tezzeret? Isn't he holed up on Mirrodin, working undercover for Bolas? Won't the Gatewatch know that?

Or actually, were any of the Gatewatch on Mirrodin when Phyrexians took over? I guess that was just Elspeth, Koth, and Venser.

Or is there some time paradox stuff going on?

Interesting development!

Wait what? Tezzeret? Isn't he holed up on Mirrodin, working undercover for Bolas? Won't the Gatewatch know that?

Or actually, were any of the Gatewatch on Mirrodin when Phyrexians took over? I guess that was just Elspeth, Koth, and Venser.

Or is there some time paradox stuff going on?

Interesting development!

That depends on how much of this book is still canon and it was never quite clear what Tezz' job on Mirrodin was.

I hope Tezzeret is gonna remain an antihero instead of Bolas' pawn. He has the makings of a lawful evil character that'd fit Esper colors so well.

I'm surprised Tezzeret is in the story after all. It's odd that we're getting three blue planeswalkers. Perhaps he'll get a card proper in Amonkhet, and he's just in the story for this set.

AFAIK, none of the Gatewatch know about Phyrexia, but Jace used to work for Tezzeret.

Nice to see that Pia is alive. I like the flavor of her basically flying artifacts into creatures' faces to stop them from blocking.

"Can't be blocked by power 2 or less" is appearing a fair amount. I wonder if they considered keywording it.

Cataclysmic Gearhulk seems good. Note that if you control another creature, you can choose that as the creature and the Gearhulk as your artifact. As mentioned, this is different from Tragic Arrogance, because each player chooses what they keep instead of you.

An odd thing from MaRo's article is that he's doing something else next week instead of the next part of his design of Kaladesh article.

Story relatively coming soon.

EDIT:

So if Tezzeret is the bad guy does that clear Dovin Baan? Tezzeret is bad right?

Anime/JRPG character: "Don't you see? Even though he appears to have done nothing but evil things, Baan actually loves Kaladesh more than anyone else!"

The Gatewatch is actually completely of the Phyrexia situation, and it was established at least a few years ago that Tezzeret lost in his attempts to take control of NPH and went elsewhere.

Magic Story - Torch of Defiance
* Chandra arrives on Kaladesh and feels nostalgic, but she stops herself. She's there to protect the renegade that the Consulate are after. She realizes she has no information and is briefly tempted to go back.
* Liliana's there too. Chandra thinks she's there to bring her back, but she isn't. She tells her to enjoy herself at the fair.
* They go around talking with renegade sympathizers, but eventually Chandra starts to join in on the festivities.
* Liliana goes up to a soldier and tells him they're renegade sympathizers, after throwing a drink in his face, which makes Chandra panic. He brings out handcuffs and tells them to come with him. Chandra punches him out, and Liliana laughs. Liliana wants them to stay and show the crowd what they're made of, but Chandra makes them run away.
* A man in a cloak (clearly Tezzeret) is going around doing mysterious stuff. He meets up with some renegades, asking them some vague information. Meanwhile, he steals a listener module from them, then leaves. He listens to the module and gets the information he wants.
* After running away, Chandra and Liliana come across mosaic art of the former's father. If this is graffiti, that goes to show that even Kaladesh graffiti is next level.
* Liliana suggests looking up Baral, the soldier that got her parents killed. Her spirits lift when Liliana talks about confronting him, and seeing the look on his face when he finds out she survived. But then Liliana suggests killing him, and it doesn't feel right, until it does.
* Some guards spot them. Liliana tells Chandra to kill them, but she instead just gives a warning blast to the floor. They get on a train, and Chandra destroys the machine asking for tickets.
* Later, the train stops because of police activity, not because of them, but because of an earlier demonstration by renegades that cut power to the area. They leave the train there.
* In the crowd, Liliana points out a man conspicuously keeping himself hidden in a hood. They follow after him.
* They follow him to see him confronting a woman working on a machine. The man in the hood calls her Renegade Prime. Liliana recognizes the man as Tezzeret, but Chandra recognizes the woman as her mother.

I was enjoying it well enough, but the way they come across Tezzeret and Pia is way too convenient.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
* Chandra arrives on Kaladesh and feels nostalgic, but she stops herself. She's there to protect the renegade that the Consulate are after. She realizes she has no information and is briefly tempted to go back.
* Liliana's there too. Chandra thinks she's there to bring her back, but she isn't. She tells her to enjoy herself at the fair.
* They go around talking with renegade sympathizers, but eventually Chandra starts to join in on the festivities.
* Liliana goes up to a soldier and tells him they're renegade sympathizers, after throwing a drink in his face, which makes Chandra panic. He brings out handcuffs and tells them to come with him. Chandra punches him out, and Liliana laughs. Liliana wants them to stay and show the crowd what they're made of, but Chandra makes them run away.
* A man in a cloak (clearly Tezzeret) is going around doing mysterious stuff. He meets up with some renegades, asking them some vague information. Meanwhile, he steals a listener module from them, then leaves. He listens to the module and gets the information he wants.
* After running away, Chandra and Liliana come across mosaic art of the former's father. If this is graffiti, that goes to show that even Kaladesh graffiti is next level.
* Liliana suggests looking up Baral, the soldier that got her parents killed. Her spirits lift when Liliana talks about confronting him, and seeing the look on his face when he finds out she survived. But then Liliana suggests killing him, and it doesn't feel right, until it does.
* Some guards spot them. Liliana tells Chandra to kill them, but she instead just gives a warning blast to the floor. They get on a train, and Chandra destroys the machine asking for tickets.
* Later, the train stops because of police activity, not because of them, but because of an earlier demonstration by renegades that cut power to the area. They leave the train there.
* In the crowd, Liliana points out a man conspicuously keeping himself hidden in a hood. They follow after him.
* They follow him to see him confronting a woman working on a machine. The man in the hood calls her Renegade Prime. Liliana recognizes the man as Tezzeret, but Chandra recognizes the woman as her mother.

I was enjoying it well enough, but the way they come across Tezzeret and Pia is way too convenient.

Plot contrivence 101

MoxManiac

I kinda want to make an EDH deck with that RW dwarf legend. I hope there are a lot of playable dwarves in this set because the ones that exist now mostly suck.

Added characters to the OP, changed up card examples, and now using the official card list versions of the cards instead of Mythic Spoiler versions.

I also changed the format of the thread highlights section. I was already only linking the first highlight on a page (50 posts) (excluding the start of a new day, which always gets a link), but now I'm putting everything on the same page on the same line.

Vedalken dude

Thinking about it though I bet Tezz is a character plant for next block, similar to how Sorin was technically "part" of the BFZ story

Leaving, what, another Liliana? There are only six walkers in this block story and she's the one who is least due.

(Plus, again, three planeswalkers sharing a color, especially one that's on theme for the block, isn't weird at all. There are three B/xs in ISD and three G/xs in Theros.)

So I'm super curious of Tezz is like..hiding his spindly metal arms? Or the people of Kaladesh don't think they're weird?

It appears that as Head Judge, Tezzeret doesn't hide his arm, but when he's out on the street, he hides it. His arm isn't considered so unusual that it'd be thought of as impossible, but it's odd enough that people would instantly recognize him.

Supast4r

First off whoever made the title for this thread is a genius. Second I LOVE the quote that liliana says to chandra in today's magic story.

“Most people are content to take life as it comes. The world tells them they’re weak, and they agree. They eat disappointment, let it rot inside of them, and then they lie down and die. The rest of us? We learn how to refuse. How to spit and throw things. We learn how to survive. You are a survivor, Chandra.” Liliana Vess

That just oozes with mono black flavor, I love it.

Daedardus

It appears that as Head Judge, Tezzeret doesn't hide his arm, but when he's out on the street, he hides it. His arm isn't considered so unusual that it'd be thought of as impossible, but it's odd enough that people would instantly recognize him.

Gotta hide that arm when you're doing Bolas' business.

Supast4r

The way they came across Pia is fine because today's story was about finding the renegade if they didn't find anyone today's story would have been wack. I would have liked a better build up for Tezzeret since he is, you know Tezzeret.

Spent $21

Picked up:

1- Grim Flayer
1- Hero of Bladehold
1- Eldritch Evolution
3- Thought-Knot Seer
1- Serra's Avenger
And a couple .50 dual lands for Commander.

I think this Thought-Knot Seer Jund list could be fun for FNM

Land (24)
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
1x Forest
4x Grove of the Burnwillows
4x Llanowar Wastes
2x Raging Ravine
1x Sea Gate Wreckage
4x Sulfurous Springs
1x Swamp
1x Treetop Village
1x Twilight Mire
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Instant (13)
2x Abrupt Decay
1x Dismember
2x Kolaghan's Command
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Terminate

Creature (13)
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Scavenging Ooze
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Thought-Knot Seer

Sorcery (7)
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
1x Maelstrom Pulse
2x Thoughtseize

Planeswalker (3)
3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Damnation
3x Fulminator Mage
1x Golgari Charm
1x Kitchen Finks
1x Night of Souls' Betrayal
1x Painful Truths
2x Pulse of Murasa
2x Slaughter Games
1x Thragtusk

I don't know why I'm winning with this deck(even just counting cockatrice I wasn't expecting anything) but I love it. Here's a more visual representation of my list since I forgot the sideboard last time.

Bring To Light Planeswalkers

kjhlkjk9jpc.png

The idea is that BTL for 5 gets dark petition and terarrion/oath of nissa turns the BBB into whatever I need so if I have 6 lands I can get Nahiri, 8 I can get Sorin etc.

By playing with 80 cards and redundant core pieces I can reduce the number of times I draw my bullets directly without reducing the % that I draw the cards I actually want to draw every game. It's the old Living End tech. 6 5-mana tutors, Roast being a 5th flow fascimile, 8 cantrips that double as mana fixing etc.

I should probably turn the prairie stream into a basic island, though.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215956927]Is Chandra gonna be a RB planeswalker this set?[/QUOTE]Seems unlikely. In the story Liliana seems to be trying to goad her into acting more black, but it doesn't work.

Daedardus

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215956927]Is Chandra gonna be a RB planeswalker this set?[/QUOTE]

I think the gatewatch will remain true to their colours, after all, they are the marketing face of each colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom