• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking up some cards for my Prossh Commander deck and discovered this crazy card.

287.jpg

Wow.

It was reprinted in Conspiracy as well, I somehow missed that.

It's a great EDH Cube card, but remember you need all 4 targets to be able to cast it. Xenagos is a good commander with this card, or just being in your GRx deck. Almost every EDH deck will play creatures and artifacts in the first few turns, so xenagos giving you an indestructible enchantment is a good hedge.

Yeef

Random thought: with fewer mechanics and a higher density of cards with the mechanics, sealed should be a lot better than most sets for Kaladesh.

Also, in Conspiracy draft today, I P2P1'd an Arcane Savant. I was already in Esper (UWb), so it seemed like a solid pick. Later in the pack, I grabbed a Diabolic Tutor figuring it was a good card for Savant. Pack 3 I get passed an Expropriate and windmill slam it. Two picks later, I get passed a Followed Footsteps.

Every game was basically archenemy with the other players trying to kill me before I got the combo.

27.jpg
30.jpg
111.jpg

[EDIT]
Seriously, guys, magidex.com is better in every way at this point (especially if you care about TCGPlayer prices!) Put that in the OP.
I really prefer magiccards.info layout. It also has some functionality that magidex doesn't (unless magidex has recently been updated). I also like that magiccards has the rulings listed. The images are typically high quality as well.

[EDIT]I really prefer magiccards.info layout. It also has some functionality that magidex doesn't (unless magidex has recently been updated). I also like that magiccards has the rulings listed. The images are typically high quality as well.

It has rulings on the card pages. What other functionality is it missing? The guy's got a Trello board for features and there's a reddit thread where he's talking to users and taking requests, both of which beat Hannes who hasn't posted anywhere on the internet since like 2012.

Anyway, I get people like what they like and for something like card searches you should certainly use what's comfortable, but the OP is supposed to be informative for new people. magiccards.info is a site that will never have another feature added and be 3+ months late on future sets. If there's an alternative that's better for general purposes that's what we should be listing instead.

Hackworth

Also, in Conspiracy draft today, I P2P1'd an Arcane Savant. I was already in Esper (UWb), so it seemed like a solid pick. Later in the pack, I grabbed a Diabolic Tutor figuring it was a good card for Savant. Pack 3 I get passed an Expropriate and windmill slam it. Two picks later, I get passed a Followed Footsteps.

Every game was basically archenemy with the other players trying to kill me before I got the combo.
That is a godly combo.

Yeef

It has rulings on the card pages. What other functionality is it missing? The guy's got a Trello board for features and there's a reddit thread where he's talking to users and taking requests, both of which beat Hannes who hasn't posted anywhere on the internet since like 2012.

Anyway, I get people like what they like and for something like card searches you should certainly use what's comfortable, but the OP is supposed to be informative for new people. magiccards.info is a site that will never have another feature added and be 3+ months late on future sets. If there's an alternative that's better for general purposes that's what we should be listing instead.
I'm not arguing that magiccards.info should be in the OP, just explaining why I prefer it. As far as missing features, there are a bunch that I use regularly:
  • has:splitmana
  • ! to match specific card name (!Blessing to find just Blessing for example)
  • ~ ("When ~ enters the battlefield")
  • mana (for searching for specific mana costs)
  • pow/tou comparative search (pow>tou, pow=tou, etc.)
  • is:funny (to find, or filter out, silver-bordered cards)
  • is:permanent
  • it also doesn't allow partial types (t:ench, for example)

As far as missing features, there are a bunch that I use regularly

Ah, rats. I assumed it actually fully implemented the syntax since the samples I tried all worked. My actual current preference is mtg.wtf, which implements 100% of the syntax and search options from mc.i plus a bunch more, but I'd been waiting until it gets a little closer to prime-time and has prices and a usable advanced search before really pushing it.

Crocodile

Saw this on Mythic Spoiler:

cataclysmicgearhulk.jpg

Translation:

Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3WW
Artifact Creature - Construct
Vigilance

"When Cataclysmic Gearhulk enters the battlefield, each player may choose an artifact, a creature, an enchantment and a planeswalker among the non-land permanents they control, then sacrifice the rest."

Also

demolitionstomper.jpg

Source

El Topo

It tacks into the middle between HS and MTG again, so like I don't think it's more like Hearthstone given multiple inspirations than Hearthstone was like Magic with (at the time) exactly the one. Or: it's not Hex to Hearthstone's MTG or anything.

I think you're really downplaying Hearthstone's influence, be it the business model, design or interface. It's not "About to get sued by Blizzard" similar (see Hex), but it is not nearly as different as other games.

Hackworth

Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3WW
Vigilance

"When Cataclysmic Gearhulk enters the battlefield, each player may choose an artifact, a creature, an enchantment and a planeswalker among the non-land permanents they control, then sacrifice the rest."
Wait, so Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Tragic Arrogance on a stick?

fake edit: actually, the user chooses with Tragic Arrogance, the opponents with Gearhulk.

Some dude on Cockatrice was playing the Lupine Prototype + Tormented Thoughts combo deck from the mothership against me. It's pretty evil. But how was I able to beat getting Mind Twisted for 5 on turn three?

I call it 2AM Planeswalker Tribal.

kjhlkj4ep5e.png

Bring to Light for Dark Petition, crack Terrarion with the BBB floating, cast Nahiri.

GAME.

Santiako

Saw this on Mythic Spoiler:

cataclysmicgearhulk.jpg

Translation:

Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3WW
Vigilance

Ooh. That is fantastic. Potential Standard staple.

Can't wait for the rest of thr cycle (guaranteed the red one will be shit).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Once you have guns you can't go back. It's such a monumental shift in technology that it would unquestionably spread like wildfire. Then again, they could always have energy weapons to avoid that problem.

I mean, guns vs massive fireballs raining from the sky? Seems like guns wouldn't have much of an impact with all the absurd magic going on.

El Topo

I mean, guns vs massive fireballs raining from the sky? Seems like guns wouldn't have much of an impact with all the absurd magic going on.

Guns are mass producible, cheap and simple, everyone can use them and they are offer enormous advantages compared to many traditional weapons. There is also the real world implication of guns that's likely kept Wizards away from the issue and the style/aesthetics issue.

Can you really say this after?

look at that, how do you go back from that

I'd argue that it's easier for guns to spread through the multiverse given their simplicity and immediate usefulness. It's not like we haven't had all sorts of vehicles or moving machines before.
Also I mean technically we've had character art with guns and/or cannons.

Guns are mass producible, cheap and simple, everyone can use them and they are offer enormous advantages compared to many traditional weapons. There is also the real world implication of guns that's likely kept Wizards away from the issue.

I'd argue that it's easier for guns to spread through the multiverse given their simplicity and immediate usefulness. It's not like we haven't had all sorts of vehicles or moving machines before.

They don't have to be, we're talking about a multiverse with different rules on every plane. Guns could just work on one plane but not on the next.

We're not gonna see energy anywhere else and that's literally mass producible.

and I said I wouldn't argue this time

El Topo

They don't have to be, we're talking about a multiverse with different rules on every plane. Guns could just work on one plane but not on the next.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to tie guns to a special plane-specific concept (e.g. some specific aether or requiring a complex energy item). Mass-producible real-world weapons? Bad idea.
I don't think I want actual guns in Magic, unless heavily restricted (lorewise).

Nikodemos

Guns are mass producible, cheap and simple, everyone can use them and they are offer enormous advantages compared to many traditional weapons. There is also the real world implication of guns that's likely kept Wizards away from the issue and the style/aesthetics issue.
Heh, yeah, I remember in Zelazny's Books of Amber how prince Corwin comes to Earth, buys several thousand SMLEs then proceeds to ROFLstomp his enemies' magical beast armies.

Heh, yeah, I remember in Zelazny's Books of Amber how prince Corwin comes to Earth, buys several thousand SMLEs then proceeds to ROFLstomp his enemies' magical beast armies.

after he went to another plane of existence, Avalon funnily enough, that had a powder used for gem polishing that's functionally gunpowder only in Amber.

Details matter and I read the chronicles of amber regularly. The best fantasy series out there imo.

Nikodemos

after he went to another plane of existence, Avalon funnily enough, that had a powder used for gem polishing that's functionally gunpowder only in Amber.

Details matter.
True, since everyone knows gunpowder doesn't work in Amber. Though Avalonian jeweller's rouge works just fine as substitute.

But the bullets, their cartridges and the rifles themselves were Earth made (and filled with what any Earth gunmaker would think is an utterly useless substance).

And then Reality Ensues and all the harpies, griffins, wyverns and what-have-you are promptly gunned out of the skies.

True, since everyone knows gunpowder doesn't work in Amber. Though Avalonian jeweller's rouge works just fine as substitute.

But the bullets, their cartridges and the rifles themselves were Earth made (and filled with what any Earth gunmaker would think is an utterly useless substance).

And then Reality Ensues and all the harpies, griffins, wyverns and what-have-you are promptly gunned out of the skies.
Right so it needs a Corwin to ruin MTG with guns, I'd count having a Corwin as a net positive in that exchange.

We're also ignoring that Corwin and his brother basically created a race worshiping them as willing slaves.

Sorry to interrupt you gun discussion (I'm fine without btw), but with how vehicles are templated, could this be a viable and non-broken way to do contraptions?

==========================
The following cards are FICTIONAL
==========================

Jace's Blueprint - 2U
Artifact - Blueprint

Assemble 2 (Tap a creature you control with toughness 2 or more: At the beginning of your next upkeep a Contraption Artifact token gets created. A creature can only assemble one Contraption per turn and only whenever you could cast a sorcery)

Contraptions assembled with ~ are named "Knowledge Condensor" and have "{T}: Draw a card, then discard a card"

Blueprint of Rage - 3R
Artifact - Blueprint

Assemble 1 (Tap a creature you control with toughness 1 or more: At the beginning of your next upkeep a Contraption Artifact token gets created. A creature can only assemble one Contraption per turn and only whenever you could cast a sorcery)

Contraptions assembled with ~ are named "Fabricated Fury" and have "Sacrifice this token: Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."

Saheeli, Experienced Engineer - RUW
Planeswalker - Saheeli

+1: Untap target creature. It may assemble an additional Contraption this turn.
-3: Search your library for a Blueprint card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library
-6: Create an Emblem with "Blueprints you control have Assemble 0 and creatures can assemble any number of Contraptions."

Santiako

F8MyWqQ.jpg

Ghirapur Guide 2G
Creature - Elf Scout {U}
2G: Target creature you control can’t be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less this turn.
3/2

Really good for limited, dodging all those servos and thopters that will surely clog the board.

Firemind

That ability doesn't even make sense. So he guides you but 3/3s or bigger can still see them? Also again where a red ability bleeds into another colour.

Yeef

I recall seeing things that resembled Aether Guns during the world-building panel in some of the concept art. I don't know if any made it onto actual cards.

red13th

That's a nice site indeed, is there a way when I browse by set to display it in Collector's Number order? Only important funcionality that I see at first glance that's missing from magiccards.info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom