• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

... and for the first of probably 1 billion times, someone attempted to use a creature kill spell on a Vehicle that wasn't a creature "But it has power and toughness!"

And we have our first public trying to kill a non-creature vehicle with sorcery-speed black removal.

Also,
arborbackstomper.jpg

EDIT: Jeez, he just wants to play normally, but they keep pushing to use a gimmick.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The concept of pre-cons with new cards being played is fine, they just need to cover it normally and get rid of this cringey comedy crap.

Very much disagree. Especially due to the audience there, I think it's important to show that Magic isn't some super serious game that is inscrutable to anyone that's not firmly entrenched in the game already. I'd prefer they have something lighthearted like this honestly.

duxstar

I feel like this format is where they should be releasing the constructed staples of the set with the pro's. I thought LSV was going to cast a damnation to clear the board, would've been super exciting for the crowd,

You just need everyone on the same page. People having actual fun playing Magic is much more important to show than serious strategery (pro play events are for that) but you want people who all collectively are prepared to play equally goofily, and don't have side commentators who overdo it.

Also:

e20d53e56f52d3f4c70654b00b9fa54c.png
578bbd05a8cfae070b31b4954aba38ae.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People occasionally play a burn deck in standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The cat is amazing if you skulk it

How come that boat don't got islandwalk

Because sea creatures don't typically just have islandwalk anyways. A better question is why it doesn't have islandhome.

That card is four years old though.

Crazy I know, no idea why they thought Lord of Atlantis needed a functional reprint when it already had one in modern and merrow having an overabundance of lords. It pushed the deck over the edge though so I'm happy.

Can't imagine landwalk not coming back if they ever go back to lorwyn. It's a huge part of merrow's identity.

duxstar

I think the problem with burn is just its either too good or just bad, the same with counterspell. There is literally no way that red ever has any room for growth if they just print bolt/lightning strike every set then people would get bored with the game and move on. They tried printing shock in its place and its "not good enough" and neither is 3 mana deal 3 damage to target creature / player. Why does red need lightning strike/bolt, but blue can't get counterspell at uu and green cant get 1 mana mana dorks anymore.
Every color has things they dont get anymore so why should red get lightning strike ?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
They haven't used landwalk since Khans of Tarkir. Mechanic is retired.

It's too bad. I get why they did this from a design perspective, but I felt like landwalk was a nice, flavorful ability that wasn't too strong. Perhaps it's just something I'm holding onto from the ABUR cards, but landwalk just always worked for me from a flavor perspective.

Firemind

I think the problem with burn is just its either too good or just bad, the same with counterspell. There is literally no way that red ever has any room for growth if they just print bolt/lightning strike every set then people would get bored with the game and move on. They tried printing shock in its place and its "not good enough" and neither is 3 mana deal 3 damage to target creature / player. Why does red need lightning strike/bolt, but blue can't get counterspell at uu and green cant get 1 mana mana dorks anymore.
Every color has things they dont get anymore so why should red get lightning strike ?
lmao lighting strike is too good

bigkrev

It's too bad. I get why they did this from a design perspective, but I felt like landwalk was a nice, flavorful ability that wasn't too strong. Perhaps it's just something I'm holding onto from the ABUR cards, but landwalk just always worked for me from a flavor perspective.

Landwalk is a bad mechanic for limited, because sometimes you just loose the game because you had the audiacity to play a color.

Looking at Gatherer, landwalk wasn't a very prominent ability. There are only 33 modern legal cards that have Islandwalk, for example, and less than 20 of them are creatures with the ability

Landwalk is a bad mechanic for limited, because sometimes you just loose the game because you had the audiacity to play a color.

Looking at Gatherer, landwalk wasn't a very prominent ability. There are only 33 modern legal cards that have Islandwalk, for example, and less than 20 of them are creatures with the ability

and 15 of those are merfolk.

Rich Hagon dropping Caravaggio references.

Horribly off-base, but nice. (for future reference, Caravaggio paintings are basically black. you see some influence in modern illustrators like alessandro taini, but certainly not in that barge card)

Crocodile

It sucks that Harness Lightning can't hit players but I can easily imagine scenarios where you could store up like 10-15 energy all at once for a big burst and cards with ceilings like that tend to spook WOTC so they always make them hit creatures only. As an side, I can assume that every instant/sorcery that uses energy will only expend energy if the spell resolves correct? You don't have to actually choose to expend energy during the casting portion only the resolution portion right?

Joe Molotov

It sucks that Harness Lightning can't hit players but I can easily imagine scenarios where you could store up like 10-15 energy all at once for a big burst and cards with ceilings like that tend to spook WOTC so they always make them hit creatures only. As an side, I can assume that every instant/sorcery that uses energy will only expend energy if the spell resolves correct? You don't have to actually choose to expend energy during the casting portion only the resolution portion right?

If that was the case, they could have just added a clause like "You can't use more than 3 energy while targeting a player". They just don't want to print burn that goes to the dome.

Angry Grimace

Harness Lightning being able to hit players would be way too good.

Crazy I know, no idea why they thought Lord of Atlantis needed a functional reprint when it already had one in modern and merrow having an overabundance of lords. It pushed the deck over the edge though so I'm happy.

The new one only affects creaturs you control.

As an side, I can assume that every instant/sorcery that uses energy will only expend energy if the spell resolves correct? You don't have to actually choose to expend energy during the casting portion only the resolution portion right?

Correct, only if it resolves.

Harness Lightning would be regularly hitting faces for 4 or more, that's way too good for 1R instant.

Yeah, Harness Lightning that goes to the dome is 4+ mana at least.

Angry Grimace

There's always a garbage blue mythic in every set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom