• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Don't drop a land for your turn before you use the ability in case she gives you one. You can play it.

Unfortunately, as the ability says "cast," that's actually not true. If you hit a land, then you have to do the damage to your opponents because that card is gone forever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is a $50 pre-order card, even if it doesn't turn out to be that good. But this card is just generically good and I can't see it not being expensive.

The only thing that limits the card is whether red itself is good.

Agree. If this card was in standard right now how many copies would have showed up at worlds?

I'm not convinced the answer would be any given how the only 2 red cards that even showed up were Kozilek's Return and a couple copies of Fiery Temper in one deck.

This card alone won't change the current prospectus of the color. I wouldn't preorder it at $50.

No you can't she only allows casting and you can't cast lands. See Daxos of Melitis.

Oops, there I go not reading the card. I was used to doing that with Chandra Pyromaster.

Her rules read as follows:
7/18/2014 If you exile a land card using the second ability, you may play that land only if you have any available land plays. Normally, this means you can play the land only if you haven’t played a land yet that turn.

The difference is PLAY versus CAST.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is a card you need to pick up before Egypt block. If it gets to the 20-30 range, jump in I think.

I think this is going to see at least exploratory play if not a lot of play in Jund. I bet you it just stays expensive.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think this is going to see at least exploratory play if not a lot of play in Jund. I bet you it just stays expensive.

Will this be enough to allow Jund to reclaim the midrange throne after Abzan dominated worlds I wonder? Part of Abzan's power was being able to play Gideon.

Hero

What do you mean soft capped? That doesnt gel with several past planeswalkers.

Because of how much BFZ was opened for Expedition lands, the supply of Gideon was plentiful and only 20-30. If it weren't for that he would've been a 40+ card easily.

Yeef

Fortuitous Find is a color-shifted version of Remember the Fallen and a bit of a bend, like Grim Discovery. (Remember the Fallen is also a bit of a bend, since white typically only gets small creatures back, not just any creature). There was also a green one in Journey into Nyx, Reviving Melody. I'd really like them to do a blue and/or red one that returns an artifact and/or a spell to your hand.

21.jpg
138.jpg
51.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215982535]Hell, it can just straight up kill a lot of planeswalkers. Ob Nix after he comes down to kill a creature, Nahiri after she exiles something, Arlinn after she flips back after burning something. Not to mention that even if it doesn't kill them, Chandra's + basically wins every planeswalker fight in Standard for free.

The rate and flexibility you get for four mana here is unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Can her first ability hit planeswalkers? It doesn't target opponents, can you still re-direct it?

Yeef

You redirect the damage, not the target. All damage dealt to players can be redirected to planeswalkers.
All noncombat damage*. Damage from a single source can only be redirected to a single planeswalker. So, for example, if you Fiery Temper your opponent, you can't deal 1 to their Chandra and 2 to their Nahiri.

[EDIT] This actually comes up fairly often if you play Thermo-Thing in standard right now. Thermo Alchemist can ping a player's walkers down, as can Fevered Visions.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
All noncombat damage*. Damage from a single source can only be redirected to a single planeswalker. So, for example, if you Fiery Temper your opponent, you can't deal 1 to their Chandra and 2 to their Nahiri.

[EDIT] This actually comes up fairly often if you play Thermo-Thing in standard right now. Thermo Alchemist can ping a player's walkers down, as can Fevered Visions.

Yeah, sorry. All noncombat damage.

Standard singles are soft-capped in the 20-30 range due to how much the set gets opened.

As long as the set's in print, of course.

Liliana, the Last Hope is currently sitting at a couple pennies under $46.

So what's the variance, she's a four-of, and most other PWs are not?

four of in standard, played in multiple decks, small set that came out right before conspiracy 2, incredibly high casual appeal due to the character and sees play in modern

It's only been just over two months since Eldritch Moon actually came out, that got interrupted by probably two weeks of Conspiracy for many people, and it's about to slip off as KLD shows up. Eldritch Moon is going to be a pretty under-opened set. Also as GB says, it's super desirable for multiple formats so it's hovering near the theoretical maximum.

Hero

It's only been just over two months since Eldritch Moon actually came out, that got interrupted by probably two weeks of Conspiracy for many people, and it's about to slip off as KLD shows up. Eldritch Moon is going to be a pretty under-opened set. Also as GB says, it's super desirable for multiple formats so it's hovering near the theoretical maximum.

Also see Grim Flayer for an example of how a small set with a powerful mythic can keep big prices.

kirblar

/|\ EDM getting blown out by CONS2 is a thing.

Hero

I am so hard for the new Chandra but she needs more support to make the color viable. Thankfully, this is a good start.

bigkrev

Chandra is great, not insane. It's probably on the same power level as Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, though obviously a different card. If her plus 1 could put lands into play, i'd probably put her on the power level of Jace, Vryn's Prodegy when Dig Through Time was legal.

Chandra is great, not insane. It's probably on the same power level as Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, though obviously a different card. If her plus 1 could put lands into play, i'd probably put her on the power level of Jace, Vryn's Prodegy when Dig Through Time was legal.

Yeah, I didn't read that close enough at first and just assumed it was like the previous version of her card where you COULD play lands. It really helped Jund out.

If Bloodbraid Elf gets unbanned, that will be the four drop of choice lol. We'll just have to see though. I really like Kalitas and would hate to cut him already.

I'm glad they are pushing Chandra. Red needs this kind of stuff. I like the red energy burn spell too. I think it will be really cool if you've got a whole energy economy going.

So who are the planeswalkers in this block? There's 6 right?

Saheeli Rai
Chandra
Dovin Baan
Tezzeret
Liliana?
Karn-style Aetherborn planeswalker please

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215996251]So who are the planeswalkers in this block? There's 6 right?

Saheeli Rai
Chandra
Dovin Baan
Tezzeret
Liliana?
Karn-style Aetherborn planeswalker please[/QUOTE]

And all of them will get printed cards, or is it just in the story block?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215996251]So who are the planeswalkers in this block? There's 6 right?

Saheeli Rai
Chandra
Dovin Baan
Tezzeret
Liliana?
Karn-style Aetherborn planeswalker please[/QUOTE]

Liliana almost certainly isn't getting a card. If we assume Dovin is monoU and Tezzeret is UB we're probably looking at a GW walker? Otherwise if Dovin is WU then its just a Gx something

Yeef

They showed a piece of art in the presentation that clearly is a Tezzeret Planeswalker card
Might be in Aether Revolt. They showed the art for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar during BFZ spoiler season, but she wasn't in that set.

I'm guessing Kaladesh will have Chandra, Saheeli and Dovin, then Aether Revolt will have Tezzeret and someone else.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Might be in Aether Revolt. They showed the art for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar during BFZ spoiler season, but she wasn't in that set.

I'm guessing Kaladesh will have Chandra, Saheeli and Dovin, then Aether Revolt will have Tezzeret and someone else.
Nissa. They need a green Planeswalker for the block and she explicitly said she was going to Kaladesh in the story but isn't currently involved.

OnPoint

Nissa. They need a green Planeswalker for the block and she explicitly said she was going to Kaladesh in the story but isn't currently involved.
Oh there's no doubt she will be involved. She literally chases Chandra and Lili to Kaladesh. I agree she might not show up until Revolt. My best guess is she somehow saves the aforementioned pair from capture or certain doom and they all work together to strengthen the resistance.

Oh there's no doubt she will be involved. She literally chases Chandra and Lili to Kaladesh. I agree she might not show up until Revolt. My best guess is she somehow saves the aforementioned pair from capture or certain doom and they all work together to strengthen the resistance.
oh my god guyz it's cuz like, red's ally colors are black and green!

kirblar

Despite the -3, Chandra does not defend herself well. I think the card's actually worse than it looks- a control deck wants no part of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom