• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
en_YXvBDsDjHq.png

Oh look there's also Nissa.

(This is one of the precon cards, that's why it's so bad)

That... doesn't seem great.

Supast4r

Liliana, The Last Hope.
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

This isn't just about PWs in a vacuum, its about how critter heavy standard has gotten. Retaining a fat butt is important.
Gideon produces a token.... But you got me on Liliana. Standard is a format literally dominated my stalled out board and midrange grind fests. I don't see how this card won't be great there.

ultron87

They've certainly succeeded at making them not constructed playable, but they don't even feel "splashy" in a way that new players would be super jazzed by.

I suppose new players traditionally love life gain.

Toxi

Banned
en_YXvBDsDjHq.png

Oh look there's also Nissa.

(This is one of the precon cards, that's why it's so bad)

en_CO4tkc9sLe.png

This one is the precon Chandra as well.
Is the goal of these preconstructed decks to make new players hate Planeswalkers and think they're useless?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Is the goal of these preconstructed decks to make new players hate Planeswalkers and think they're useless?

Yeah, if this is quality of Plaeswalker we're getting with these pre-cons, I can't imagine them being popular enough to continue. This is likely going to have the opposite effect that Wizards is hoping, as watering down the Planeswalkers to this point assures that newer players won't associate them with high power level the way they had previously. I really don't think they thought this one through well enough.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216030181]Oh, energy counters count as being on players? I wonder if modern infect will troll people with that card. 9 TURN CLOCK BABY SHOULD HAVE KILLED MY INKMOTH NEXUS HUH SCRUB[/QUOTE]

I mean, they could have already done that with Contagion Clasp if they really wanted to.

tebunker

Banned

This is almost enough to get me back in to this damned game.

I can't though. I sold my online collection for quite a bit back in return to Ravnica days, and I sold my paper collection a little before then. I should have held out a little longer b/c my bets on some cards paid off even more in the next set. Oh well.

I do, however have a soft spot for red and big red and back then I played a lot of B/R. You could do some fun stuff.

This looks like a great big read PW, but getting to four fast.... Hmm I'd need to see the rest of standard. It looks like a great modern card

DashReindeer

45KUQck.jpg

And this is proper Nissa, who seems really fucking good.

Seems like no one really expected Nissa this set, as most of us were wondering whether we'd get Tezzeret, Dovin, or potentially both in Kaladesh. Still, the card itself is a nice surprise for me as it instantly an awesomely slots into both of my Omnath EDH decks. Hopefully it's not much of a standard performer and I can pick it up for relatively cheap.

All of the Gearhulks seem awesome so far. Does this look like it'll be a full cycle or is there reason to think we're only getting these three?

Santiako

Seems like no one really expected Nissa this set, as most of us were wondering whether we'd get Tezzeret, Dovin, or potentially both in Kaladesh. Still, the card itself is a nice surprise for me as it instantly an awesomely slots into both of my Omnath EDH decks. Hopefully it's not much of a standard performer and I can pick it up for relatively cheap.

All of the Gearhulks seem awesome so far. Does this look like it'll be a full cycle or is there reason to think we're only getting these three?

Maro said there's 4 planeswalkers in Kaladesh, so we're only missing Dovin Baan. It all points to Tezzeret being in Aether Revolt.

I'd say there's 0 chance that we don't see the other two Gearhulks.

Xis

This is going to be more common. They were both seen on cards two blocks ago at this point. Gideon is now the longest running Gatewatch member without a card.

It's still weird the new Kaladesh Chandra and Nissa will be in standard at the same time as the Oath Chandra and Nissa.

Yeef

It looks like Nissa is the Game Day Champion mat. It looks fine, but it seems like an odd choice, since it doesn't really scream "Kaladesh."

DashReindeer

It's still weird the new Kaladesh Chandra and Nissa will be in standard at the same time as the Oath Chandra and Nissa.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are going to be seeing more of this type of thing going forward since the Gatewatch have risen to prominence. Since they are central to the ongoing storyline, one or more of them are going to appear in every block and since there are three blocks in standard at a time now, we'll probably see a whole bunch of the same Planeswalkers getting different cards in standard at the same time.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance is pre-ordering for $50 right now btw. No one wants to make the miss out on that Mindsculptor money I guess.

Supast4r

It looks like Nissa is the Game Day Champion mat. It looks fine, but it seems like an odd choice, since it doesn't really scream "Kaladesh."
She is not supposed to scream Kaladesh. Nissa is an outsider and her abilities on the card reflect that she isn't from Kaladesh. I like that personally.

MegaPanda

Is Oath of Gideon + new Nissa janky enough? Are there any payoff cards in standard that let me unload lands and draw a bunch of cards?

This set is insane. Are we doing Zendikar power level now? White vampire nighthawk is only marginally worse than the black one imo, Chandra is insane, 8/8 trample with upside for 5, 4/4 haste with upside for 3 in red(!), what's going on?

Nissa seems good but not extremely powerful. The ultimate replaces your lands which at that point mainly are dead draws. At first I read the +1 as "until eot" and wasn't impressed but actually she could be good. 5cmc+ with value abilities is always very hard to judge for me.

You know, I don't think anyone at WotC ever put that much thought into it.

ChadraTMS has a pipe leading from her vambrace to her vambrace.

Chandra Pyrogenius looks old af

And the modules go infinite but don't end the game like the stations.
I'm not seeing the infinite with the modules. You need to pay the 1 mana to get each servo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom