• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I mean, back in the day we used to have expansion PWs in Standard with the Core Set versions of the same characters, so this isn't really that different.

We saw him a lot more recently than we did the Phyrexians.

Yeah, and it was actually even weirder then due to how the uniqueness rule used to work. People were running Jace Beleren as a 3-mana way to kill an opposing Jace the Mindsculptor.

OnPoint

New players won't be mad. Wizards isn't hiding the fact these are beginner level products. If anything they will desire the better versions to replace the ones they have.

Firemind

New players won't be mad. Wizards isn't hiding the fact these are beginner level products. If anything they will desire the better versions to replace the ones they have.
Look at the art. I would throw both of them in the trash immediately.

At least previous intro decks had dragons and angels and demons.

Yeah, and it was actually even weirder then due to how the uniqueness rule used to work. People were running Jace Beleren as a 3-mana way to kill an opposing Jace the Mindsculptor.

Uniqueness as removal was the worst. At least people running <insert almost any other World Enchantment here> to deal with things like The Abyss and Nether Void fit into the flavour of the World mechanic.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Uniqueness as removal was the worst. At least people running <insert almost any other World Enchantment here> to deal with things like The Abyss and Nether Void fit into the flavour of the World mechanic.

Yeah, but it was pretty funny that the best removal spell in EDH used to be Clone...

Are we sure that there will be a real Nissa in the set? Have they explicitly said that the ones in the intro decks will have alternate versions in the main set?

kirblar

People don't remember how cheap the fastlands were ($3-5 for non-U, 5-7 for U), and boy are people overpricing Chandra, holy shit.

Crocodile

Giant Snapcaster!

dkatidk.png

Only Instants? Why.jpg

I hate hate hate Flash being blue, the last thing blue needed was flash creatures.Creatures should have a downside for blue decks by being sorcery speed. Flash should be primarily red, it could replace haste for the most part. It also fits in the impulsiveness and chaotic nature of red.

I thought they were like eldrazi spawns just counters, apparently not. That makes the mechanic way more boring.

A) Flash is somewhat redudant with Haste
B) Cry more

Set 1: show heroes/what you think are the villains
Set 2: show villains

I feel this better describes the recent Pokemon info dump than current Magic

kirblar

Being able to flash Day's Undoing at instant speed for free would be a problem. It doesn't work like Snapcaster.

Tireless Tracker basically being a better version of her ult is funny.

ultron87

But that's less fun (also most cards that let you flashback spells let you do both so I can imagine some feel bad gameplay moments when this cards works counter to expectations)

I imagine the creature having flash is also part of it, since this would let you ignore timing restrictions when casting a sorcery.

Ashodin

CrsEWdYWYAEjjq5.jpg

On my twitter feed. I'm sorry

But that's less fun (also most cards that let you flashback spells let you do both so I can imagine some feel bad gameplay moments when this cards works counter to expectations)

the fact her eyes are closed makes it creepy

Crocodile

A)"redundant with haste" when I said it can "somewhat replace haste"?
B)I will, liking blue I just disagree with the way it's handled

So you want to take Haste out of Red? It's already in Black and Green (occasionally) and it seems hard to justify in White or Blue. If you move Flash to Red and take Haste away from Red, then colors just end up with less mechanics overall. Why would you want to do that? Flash also plays well with Blue's instant focus and has rarely been a problem (mostly Faeries in Standard which still was far from an unbeatable deck).

Being able to flash Day's Undoing at instant speed for free would be a problem. It doesn't work like Snapcaster.

I imagine the creature having flash is also part of it, since this would let you ignore timing restrictions when casting a sorcery.

Ah I missed that it would let you cast sorceries as instants otherwise. I can see why it would get excluded them. Still a bit of a bummer but now that desire borders more on greed :p

the fact her eyes are closed makes it creepy

I think that was the point :p

Yeah, this is the key part. It's the Goblin Dark-Dwellers effect rather than the Snapcaster one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sorceries are stronger.

Yep - there's a ton of broken sorceries in the game that are mostly limited by the fact that they're insanely expensive, e.g. Enter the Infinite.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People don't remember how cheap the fastlands were ($3-5 for non-U, 5-7 for U), and boy are people overpricing Chandra, holy shit.

Chandra and Nissa are $25-35 cards, and I only see them at $35 if they absolutely dominate Standard (I doubt that very much). I assumed they would preorder at $40 and they did, but that doesn't mean that's a stable price by any means.

I think there's an R/G Goodstuff deck incoming. Even Verdurous Gearhulk seems like a completely reasonable 5 mana investment. There's something to be said that cards like these are less reasonable in a world with Elvish Mystic, although I feel like these cards are kind of dumb, independently powerful constructed cards which I don't necessarily love as a design aesthetic. What I mean by that a deck that curves Sylvan Advocate into Tireless Tracker into Chandra into Nissa isn't doing anything innovative - it's just playing the most powerful cards at those CMCs.

Crocodile

Lore Question: Is Tezzeret immune to the Phyrexian Oil? He's been on New Phyrexia, might he have brought some of the oil to Kaladesh (a plane filled with artifice) by accident? Granted, even if he did it probably won't matter this block since they want it to be more optimistic but in the future........

Yeef

Lore Question: Is Tezzeret immune to the Phyrexian Oil? He's been on New Phyrexia, might he have brought some of the oil to Kaladesh (a plane filled with artifice) by accident? Granted, even if he did it probably won't matter this block since they want it to be more optimistic but in the future........
All planeswalkers are immune to Phyrexian Oil.

I'm already tired of seeing the same Planewalkers every block. The Jacetice league is slowly ruining it for me. I don't care about a league of super PWs getting together and defeating every vilain with the power of friendship.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216038164]He's just one of the skeletons in Lili's closet. He's a mindless serial killer now so I'm sure he'll pop up again at some point when they need a threat to the superfriends.[/QUOTE]
It amazes me that WotC has had access to genuinely good writers with their Dungeons & Dragons novel line (people like Richard Lee Byers, R.A. Salvatore and Paul S. Kemp, just off the top of my head), and MaRo and crew are handing their "big-focus storyline push" off to FanFiction.net rejects.

They can't say they can't afford the authors, Magic makes way more money than D&D and has way more mindshare. Moreover, those aforementioned Forgotten Realms authors knew exactly how to build up marketable characters who can be instantly recognized by fans. Just commission these guys to write bite-sized stuff outside of an established plot blueprint.

Gaaaaah WotC why why why

Angry Grimace

Because it's 3 mana, doesn't have to sit a turn before generating the effect, is easy to play multiples, etc.

Tireless Tracker is the most played creature in Standard right now for good reason: it's insane value because its among the best card draw spells in Standard. The fact that it wins combat all of the time as a side effect of drawing cards is semi-unreasonable.

kirblar

It amazes me that WotC has had access to genuinely good writers with their Dungeons & Dragons novel line (people like Richard Lee Byers, R.A. Salvatore, Paul S. Kemp, just off the top of my head), and MaRo and crew are handing their "big-focus storyline push" off to FanFiction.net rejects.

They can't say they can't afford the authors, Magic makes way more money than D&D and has way more mindshare. Moreover, those aforementioned Forgotten Realms authors knew exactly how to build up marketable characters who can be instantly recognized by fans.

Gaaaaah WotC why why why
Internal politics w/ creative types who all want to do it.

Santiako

Because it's 3 mana, doesn't have to sit a turn before generating the effect, is easy to play multiples, etc.

Oh ok, i just thought you meant the effect of Tracker's landfall ability was a better version of Nissa's ultimate. I agree that Tracker is the better card and one of the best cards in standard, really :p

So you want to take Haste out of Red? It's already in Black and Green (occasionally) and it seems hard to justify in White or Blue. If you move Flash to Red and take Haste away from Red, then colors just end up with less mechanics overall. Why would you want to do that? Flash also plays well with Blue's instant focus and has rarely been a problem (mostly Faeries in Standard which still was far from an unbeatable deck).

Haste contributes a lot to red being one dimensional don't take it away but use it more for utility cards like Mad Prophet. Flash playing too well with Blue's instant focus is the entire point, an instant focused colour shouldn't have creatures effectively be instants that leave behind a body.
It amazes me that WotC has had access to genuinely good writers with their Dungeons & Dragons novel line (people like Richard Lee Byers, R.A. Salvatore and Paul S. Kemp, just off the top of my head), and MaRo and crew are handing their "big-focus storyline push" off to FanFiction.net rejects.

They can't say they can't afford the authors, Magic makes way more money than D&D and has way more mindshare. Moreover, those aforementioned Forgotten Realms authors knew exactly how to build up marketable characters who can be instantly recognized by fans. Just commission these guys to write bite-sized stuff outside of an established plot blueprint.

Gaaaaah WotC why why why

Forgotten Realms hasn't been doing to well recently. Kemps had a dispute with WotC and once that cleared his book totally bombed and there's only 3 authors left regularly writing series for them nowadays. Greenwood, Evans and Salvatore.

Bob would stop if Drizzt wasn't his bread earner, Ed is probably too invested to write anything else. Would love for Evans to write some mtg books and she does the relationship drama WotC wants right now pretty well. Completely with misunderstandings and does he love me stuff.

Ashodin

Tireless Tracker is the most played creature in Standard right now for good reason: it's insane value because its among the best card draw spells in Standard. The fact that it wins combat all of the time as a side effect of drawing cards is semi-unreasonable.
Tracker with Nissa ultimate ing ghnbghnhhnvghnnn

Internal politics w/ creative types who all want to do it.
Fkn amateur all around.

Haste contributes a lot to red being one dimensional don't take it away but use it more for utility cards like Mad Prophet. Flash playing too well with Blue's instant focus is the entire point, an instant focused colour shouldn't have creatures effectively be instants that leave behind a body.

Remove Menace from Red, and give it Flash.

Angry Grimace

It makes way more sense to have your world-building team just write the stories from a financial standpoint. MTG fiction is something that requires a minimum competence threshold; it doesn't matter if its actually good as long as its above that minimum level.

I also think its incorrect to suggest that they're failing on that level - more people follow the story now than ever even when they don't read it. The number of times we've had story-based discussions is dramatically up from Theros, when literally nobody read the story because it was a separate eBook thing and practically none of the story beats were on cards (outside of the Xenagos resolution).

Edit: Hell, the only story beat that people actually likely remember from Theros block proper is that Elspeth dies and goes to the Underworld, but lots of random events occurred outside of that, e.g. the reason why Elspeth bothered to do that, what was up with the random Legendaries in Theros (e.g. Anax and Cymede, Anthousa, Daxos).

kirblar

It makes way more sense to have your world-building team just write the stories from a financial standpoint.

MTG fiction is something that requires a minimum competence threshold; it doesn't matter if its actually good as long as its above that minimum level.

I also think its incorrect to suggest that they're failing on that level - more people follow the story now than ever even when they don't read it. The number of times we've had story-based discussions is dramatically up from Theros, when literally nobody read the story because it was a separate eBook thing and practically none of the story beats were on cards (outside of the Xenagos resolution).
The problem is going from Digges' BFZ stuff (which was fantastic and *got* the existential horror vibe) to "Jace'Rakul".

Angry Grimace

I don't really have a problem with the Jacetice League. A lot of the "fatigue" in seeing the characters has to do with changing the block structure such that you're getting lots and lots and lots of Planeswalkers at once - you'd get a similar amount when the Core Sets existed but they were more often than not either not played in Constructed (Chandra, the Firebrand, Liliana of the Dark Realms, Jace, the Living Guildpact) or were role players (Chandra, Pyromaster, Liliana Vess, Nissa, Worldwaker).

Angry Grimace

Fun fact:

Chandra Nalaar has the most Planeswalker cards in the entire game with 8.

Chandra Nalaar
Chandra Ablaze
Chandra, the Firebrand
Chandra, Pyromaster
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh // Chandra, Roaring Flame
Chandra, Flamecaller
Chandra, Torch of Defiance,
Chandra, Pyrogenius

OnPoint

I wish they'd just use the opportunity to print new versions of cards we already had. I wouldn't mind if they just reprinted the 3-CMC Nissa here. I mean it's not exciting, but it could help bring prices down and keep them from burning through all their creative space quickly.

Crocodile

All planeswalkers are immune to Phyrexian Oil.

Really? Didn't Melira have to specifically inoculate Koth and Elspeth or am I misremembering things?

I feel its pretty clear that Flash works well with Blue and its goals and Haste works well with Red and its goals. I think the issue you have is with specific cards, not the mechanics. Let's not pretend there is some Blue menace going on in Standard or Modern. There isn't and if you feel so that has more to do with your "feelings" than reality. Legacy & Vintage are "lost causes" but that has nothing to do with Flash and other colors are bigger players than I think people give them respect for.

Remove Menace from Red, and give it Flash.

Meance is an evasion mechanic, Flash is not. This is a terrible idea.

Firemind

I wish they'd just use the opportunity to print new versions of cards we already had. I wouldn't mind if they just reprinted the 3-CMC Nissa here. I mean it's not exciting, but it could help bring prices down and keep them from burning through all their creative space quickly.
deploy the gatewatch edh deck with 60 planeswalkers incoming

I feel its pretty clear that Flash works well with Blue and its goals and Haste works well with Red and its goals. I think the issue you have is with specific cards, not the mechanics. Let's not pretend there is some Blue menace going on in Standard or Modern. There isn't and if you feel so that has more to do with your "feelings" than reality. Legacy & Vintage are "lost causes" but that has nothing to do with Flash and other colors are bigger players than I think people give them respect for.

Haste does not work well with red and its goal on the contrary it only gives it one road to triumph.

And once again flash works too well with blue. I never spoke to the power level in any particular format. I just genuinely dislike how it's circumventing a downside for a colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom