• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxstar

Btw still no great equipment ashodin , how excited are you about vehicles since i dont think youll get pushed / good equipment and vehicles in the same block ?

Ashodin

Btw still no great equipment ashodin , how excited are you about vehicles since i dont think youll get pushed / good equipment and vehicles in the same block ?

All it takes is one or two good equips. We got Sigarda's Aid on the last week for EMN.

On the subject of vehicles, token strategies/resilient minions are needed to make them work well.

The Skyship is legit as fuck tho.

Also, flavor text basically confirms shenanigans will happen. I don't think there would be room for a big Phyrexian presence in the next set, but I could imagine maybe a mythic rare Horror that removes all +1/+1 counters or something, as a story card.

The idea I saw on twitter, which I thought was cool (if probably on the subtle side for MTG storytelling) was that since Phyrexians are generally metal plus flesh, you couldn't transport a living one with this tech, but you could get artifacts of their civilization -- body augments, tools, masks, documents. You could have a followup where instead of a biological infestation via the oil, a group was actually "infected" by Phyrexia's ideas after finding some of this inanimate stuff and studying it too intently. It'd let you bring the themes in without actually transforming the whole plane to New Phyrexia 2.

Saw this on Twitter:
CrtX1lPUMAEq-i3.jpg

prdzrbF.gif
Cary registered that himself because WotC forgot to do it, it has nothing to do with anything real.

Supast4r

paradoxicaloutcome.jpg

Save your stuff or rebuy ETB effects during your opponent's turn, and draw a bunch of cards!

Also, flavor text basically confirms shenanigans will happen. I don't think there would be room for a big Phyrexian presence in the next set, but I could imagine maybe a mythic rare Horror that removes all +1/+1 counters or something, as a story card.
Cool another card adv card that blue has to jump through hoops superman 64 style just to get card adc while green just gets good stuff cards that do it for them. Would it really kill them to print divination at instant speed for 3 mana?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea why people keep posting about green control decks.

cuc

From MTGS forum: five new artworks discovered on official Planeswalker pages, three of which have card names, and the fifth has a spoiler.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
From MTGS forum: five new artworks discovered on official Planeswalker pages, three of which have card names, and the fifth has a spoiler.

Trying to keep literally anything as a story spoiler in Magic is a waste of time simply due to the nature of how the both the game and the story works - it basically just gets dumped on the net whenever someone gets a hold of the Fat Pack. And really, the story beats mostly exist to foster discussion on what kind of cards will exist, which is like half of the conversations about the game.

The concept of Ajani being in Aether Revolt (or even joining the Gatewatch) is neither surprising nor does it really explain much of anything. He hasn't been doing anything in a while other than being a generic good guy. I'd love to see Ajani Vengeant get a reprint, but I think they like him as the Selesnya (or maybe full Naya) guy given there's no one else in that color identity.

Xis

The concept of Ajani being in Aether Revolt (or even joining the Gatewatch) is neither surprising nor does it really explain much of anything.

It's a little surprising; last we saw him was on Theros, and there was some conjecture he would be part of the plot when they revisit the plane. Still could happen, I suppose, but story wouldn't work as well now.

Angry Grimace

It's a little surprising; last we saw him was on Theros, and there was some conjecture he would be part of the plot when they revisit the plane. Still could happen, I suppose, but story wouldn't work as well now.

It makes sense in the sense that the Gatewatch basically put the word out they'd solve people's problems and Ajani has a Planeswalker-related problem.

What doesn't make sense is the fact that the Gatewatch opened up a phone line rather than immediately having Jace and Liliana address the whole Consortium thing, given that its pretty much the Planeswalker League of Dickery and both of them are aware of the degree of dickery they get up to.

Santiako

Ooo, seeing Ajani there is definitely surprising. A good surprise though, because he is awesome and a much cooler white representative that Gideon.

Also, are all blocks going to be 1st set: set up the conflict, 2nd set: Avengers Assemble?

It's funny, everyone used to hate Elspeth Before Theros. Really shows how opinions on a character can easily turn around with the right story.
What no, Elspeth was always GOAT. Theros story is the worst for Elspeth, she went from badass soldier to horny idiot for pretty boy.

OG Elspeth even saw some success and remains very fringe played in modern to this day.

OnPoint

I feel like he will bring them there at some point.

The concept of Ajani being in Aether Revolt (or even joining the Gatewatch) is neither surprising nor does it really explain much of anything. He hasn't been doing anything in a while other than being a generic good guy. I'd love to see Ajani Vengeant get a reprint, but I think they like him as the Selesnya (or maybe full Naya) guy given there's no one else in that color identity.

He pretty much is the GW walker for the time being, though I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see a Naya one at some point. I'd love to see him get it when he goes up against Bolas again, but if they're doing that in Amonkhet and he has a card in Aether Revolt, we won't likely be seeing it anytime soon.

Toxi

Banned
What badass soldier doesn't have an identity crisis or two? Especially if your home had been phyrexian probed.

Also the cards never tell the whole story. Gideon is a creeper pre BFZ.
Elspeth pre-Theros moved to Bant just so she could live somewhere nice and idyllic and then ran away the moment trouble showed up. That was a horrible first impression.

Then she joined the Mirrodin crew and did virtually nothing before running away to grab help.

Before Theros, the character was so defined by her trauma she never actually accomplished anything.

I guess a lot of this is due to how shitty the story material for Alara and Shards of Mirrodin was though.

(I'm talking purely from a story standpoint; people loved her cards)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He pretty much is the GW walker for the time being, though I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see a Naya one at some point. I'd love to see him get it when he goes up against Bolas again, but if they're doing that in Amonkhet and he has a card in Aether Revolt, we won't likely be seeing it anytime soon.
One possibility: the whole Tamiyo thing made them more comfortable with stretching to 6 standard legal planeswalkers a set if they clearly make one casual bait. So we might get an Ajani who is Naya for similar developmental reasons as Bant Tamiyo

And Tamiyo is legitimately ham as a walker. It's not going to be a matter of if someone breaks her, it's going to be how. 4 mana 3 turn Ancestral Visions+Omniscience?

The fact that I've been trying to get her to work in Modern has nothing to do with this

Ajani as Naya/GW inAether Revolt would be fucking great, because in all honesty he's probably the next walker to join the Gatewatch. Plus, his literal last card is what the Gatewatch needs most right now.

If the Jacetice League is going to be in every block then they're going to need to add more walkers to it just to spare from seeing the same walkers in every expansion. Ajani seems like a good fit, and honestly I'm surprised Tamiyo didn't join as well.

If the Jacetice League is going to be in every block then they're going to need to add more walkers to it just to spare from seeing the same walkers in every expansion. Ajani seems like a good fit, and honestly I'm surprised Tamiyo didn't join as well.

Jace probably lobbied against her joining because she was going to let Avacyn kill him.

Santiako

Tamiyo is their sales representative.

chaosaeon

It's been 10 ish years since I used to play magic. I was thinking about looking into it again, but then I looked up some cards "Oh not bad it's 2 bucks, oh hey 11.95 shipping per card, that's okay guess I'll just continue not playing." What is the deal with this ? What kind of platinum coated envelope do people think you need to ship a card ? I'm in Canada, not on the moon. I sold a card to someone in the US. It cost me a toploader I already had, and a stamp ... Any non US people in here ? How are you getting any specific cards ?

OnPoint

I told y'all Death's Shadow was gonna go up. Here we are.

One possibility: the whole Tamiyo thing made them more comfortable with stretching to 6 standard legal planeswalkers a set if they clearly make one casual bait. So we might get an Ajani who is Naya for similar developmental reasons as Bant Tamiyo

I wouldn't be surprised, but then again, I wish they'd use the shards/wedges in PW stuff for reasons.

Bolas = Grixis = Big bad
Sarkhan = Temur = Character arc resolution
Tamiyo = Bant = ... but why?

Those are the only shard/wedge 'walkers at the moment, right? I wish they'd mean something when they made them. Ajani makes sense as Naya. But let's see him be Naya when he has to go face to face with Bolas, and they need a super powerful Ajani to fight him.

Elspeth pre-Theros moved to Bant just so she could live somewhere nice and idyllic and then ran away the moment trouble showed up. That was a horrible first impression.

Then she joined the Mirrodin crew and did virtually nothing before running away to grab help.

Before Theros, the character was so defined by her trauma she never actually accomplished anything.

I guess a lot of this is due to how shitty the story material for Alara and Shards of Mirrodin was though.

(I'm talking purely from a story standpoint; people loved her cards)
Not exactly she did stay on Bant because it was idyllic but she become a Knight on Bant w/o using PW abilites and only bailed when she got pushed into the saviour role after the fight for Bant was over.

She also overcame her PTSD.

It's been 10 ish years since I used to play magic. I was thinking about looking into it again, but then I looked up some cards "Oh not bad it's 2 bucks, oh hey 11.95 shipping per card, that's okay guess I'll just continue not playing." What is the deal with this ? What kind of platinum coated envelope do people think you need to ship a card ? I'm in Canada, not on the moon. I sold a card to someone in the US. It cost me a toploader I already had, and a stamp ... Any non US people in here ? How are you getting any specific cards ?

I use Ebay for specific cards
but I'm not buying to play competitively.

chaosaeon

I use Ebay for specific cards
but I'm not buying to play competitively.

Yeah ebay is one of the sites I've been looking at. But cards with 10+ dollar shipping is pretty much all I end up seeing. That, or the card is 2 dollars and so is the shipping even from an hour away from me. How do you deal with the shipping ? Do you just look for only listings from Canada ? That cuts your chances of finding something to almost zero quite frequently.

Yeah ebay is one of the sites I've been looking at. But cards with 10+ dollar shipping is pretty much all I end up seeing. That, or the card is 2 dollars and so is the shipping even from an hour away from me. How do you deal with the shipping ? Do you just look for only listings from Canada ? That cuts your chances of finding something to almost zero quite frequently.

I live in the UK lol. Looking at my purchases, the only card I paid shipping on was Bruna and that was only 54p. Everything else was free postage and packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom