• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son1x

I went to Hareruya today and I have to say this place is amazing. There are several tournaments in each format daily. The place is pretty big and they even have booster vending machines. Singles vary from slighty to laughably expensiver compared go Europe (mcm) but thats not unique to that store as they're similarly priced elsewhere around here.

Entered 2 modern events and went 2-1 and 3-0. I had to give my decklist in the latter and it will supposedly be somewhere on the internet. Got 6 (2/4) boosters for prize but they contained only trash.

I did however randomly buy 2 conspiracy boosters and got iok and serum visions.

Going away from Tokyo for a week or so but I'll definitely be back for last few days of my trip.

Supast4r

comparative%20analysis.jpg
That's another card you have to jump through hoops for. I'm talking a card that's reads 2U draw two at instant speed. No hoops or tricks that you have to use to get it to 2U

bigkrev

Yeah ebay is one of the sites I've been looking at. But cards with 10+ dollar shipping is pretty much all I end up seeing. That, or the card is 2 dollars and so is the shipping even from an hour away from me. How do you deal with the shipping ? Do you just look for only listings from Canada ? That cuts your chances of finding something to almost zero quite frequently.

That is a truth about Ebay that applies to everything on the site, not just cards- people intentionally put a low price but with higher shipping on tons of items. I'm sure there are reasons- make people more likely to click on the item in a sea of similar listings, to cheat Ebay out of seller fees, and so on.

You can buy from stores in your country. I don't know much about Canadian stores, but I know that Face to Face Games is one of the larger Canadian Magic stores online.

Supast4r

What no, Elspeth was always GOAT. Theros story is the worst for Elspeth, she went from badass soldier to horny idiot for pretty boy.

OG Elspeth even saw some success and remains very fringe played in modern to this day.
Elspeth Suns champ is still played in sideboards in modern. Regarding ajani, I thought he said that he was going to remain on theros until he found a way to get even with Heliod for killing his best friend. I guess the gossip of the gatewatch spread to him fast plus wizards or him and tezzeret here so the next set with bolas can be crazy.

It's a little surprising; last we saw him was on Theros, and there was some conjecture he would be part of the plot when they revisit the plane. Still could happen, I suppose, but story wouldn't work as well now.

I don't see why. Ajani meeting up with the Gatewatch is actually pretty much the only plausible way to get them to know and care about what's going on in Theros or New Phyrexia.

Sarkhan = Temur = Character arc resolution

This still irritates me because there's nothing remotely blue about Sarkhan's character before or afterwards and it's only Temur instead of Jund for development reasons (when no one played it anyway.)

Aetherflux Reservoir should go well with Paradoxical Outcome and a deck filled with cheap permanents. It might be slow as hell, but pulling it off would be fun.

Oh cool, they reprinted Tendrils of Agony into Modern!
Assuming you are at 5 life, you need a storm count of 9 to deal 50 with this

The problem of course is that this loses to a counterspell, whereas Grapeshot does not. I mean, it would be kinda cute to put this in your Storm deck, but not good.

Son1x

Combos with Angel's Grace or that enchantment Ad Nauseum uses. It also gains life so theres some "protection" for the deck.

Supast4r

I thought so too first but you do need 151 life to kill an entire pod and you can be killed before the ability resolves and it'd just leave the stack.
Eternal witness can just loop this card and there are tons of green decks that already oppress that format. Wouldn't surprise me if it eats a ban because you will be able to recur this thing easy

en_BsoII26yg4.png
en_VkFNUjPj38.png
en_7BFcJzwpzf.png
en_OZaeqXT1aJ.png
en_EYdkURLbWw.png

Black's is probably the best. Red's will be boring but effective. Odd how only two provide energy; I thought for sure that was the gimmick of this cycle.

I'm surprised Ajani is in this block. Also a bit surprised that apparently he's dragging them off to face Bolas instead of taking them to Phyrexia.

EDIT: From the MTGS thread, three of the arts have card names in the original URLS.

#2 Cathartic Reunion - Chandra embracing her mother.
#3 Deadlock Trap - The one posted earlier, with Chandra hitting at a glass prison window.
#4 Tezzeret's Ambition - Tezzeret doing stuff.

Nice that we're getting a red card for happiness. With Deadlock Trap, I'm reminded of that scene in Empire Strikes Back where Chewie is imprisoned and he's going crazy because of an alarm in the cell.

Supast4r

Combos with Angel's Grace or that enchantment Ad Nauseum uses. It does also gain life so theres some protection for it.
How is this remotely better than thing in the ice storm or regular storm? Seems like a dead card after you draw the second one and it has no board impact for a four drop which is very important in modern.

Eternal witness can just loop this card and there are tons of green decks that already oppress that format. Wouldn't surprise me if it eats a ban because you will be able to recur this thing easy

you don't have to sac it. It could eat a ban but combos like giving it lifelink or combining it with exsanguinate are going to be reasons. Definitely gonna get house ruled a bunch.

Son1x

How is this remotely better than thing in the ice storm or regular storm? Seems like a dead card after you draw the second one and it has no board impact for s four drop which is very important in modern.
Well it would play like a shitty Ad Nauseum-ish deck so it would try to delay and win in 1 go.

chaosaeon

I live in the UK lol. Looking at my purchases, the only card I paid shipping on was Bruna and that was only 54p. Everything else was free postage and packaging.

Oh, I guess UK doesn't get screwed over on this particular case.

That is a truth about Ebay that applies to everything on the site, not just cards- people intentionally put a low price but with higher shipping on tons of items. I'm sure there are reasons- make people more likely to click on the item in a sea of similar listings, to cheat Ebay out of seller fees, and so on.

You can buy from stores in your country. I don't know much about Canadian stores, but I know that Face to Face Games is one of the larger Canadian Magic stores online.

That's the thing, the quantity and rarity don't even seem to matter. A 3 dollar playset of commons will have 12 dollar shipping, and so will a single 10 dollar rare. You end up paying 12 shipping either way. The funniest ones are ones that cost say 12 shipping to go from one part of Canada to another part of Canada 3 hours away, but would cost 1.50 to send it from there all the way to florida like ten times the distance. All I'm thinking is "okay yeah sure send it to florida, just drop it off at my place and drive the remaining 20 hours for no reason, lol. It practically rules out ebay and amazon, as amazon.ca prices are a joke even before shipping.

Son1x

With dorks, manarocks and/or SSGs, you could technically win in turn 2/3.

Oups, meant to edit my previous post.

Edit: Plains, 4x SSG, this thing and angels grace is a turn 1 win :D

OnPoint

Seen on Twitter:

T1 Altar of the Brood/Disciple of the Vault
T2 Liquimetal Coating
T3 Saheeli Rai, turn her into artifact, chain -2s​

Ok. This is cool haha

ultron87

With dorks, manarocks and/or SSGs, you could technically win in turn 2/3.

Oups, meant to edit my previous post.

Edit: Plains, 4x SSG, this thing and angels grace is a turn 1 win :D

You can't pay life you don't have, so it doesn't work with Angel's Grace like that.

bigkrev

118.4. If a cost or effect allows a player to pay an amount of life greater than 0, the player may do so only if his or her life total is greater than or equal to the amount of the payment. If a player pays life, the payment is subtracted from his or her life total; in other words, the player loses that much life. (Players can always pay 0 life.) #

Yep, you can't pay life you don't have

Who is the best planeswalker from a story development stand point?

I think Tezzeret. His motivations and story have been sufficiently explored and make sense. His origin is quite good and his colour shift also appropriate. If the Aether Revolt version is gonna end up esper that'd be perfect.
I think he's an endearing character as long as he isn't made into a generic villain.

ultron87

I'm a little surprised that it isn't Legendary, since if you get a couple out life would gain pretty fast and usually the weird alt-win condition cards don't stack.

Son1x

My bad, thought you could do it but lose instantly then. Well, not much is lost since it seemed like a boring and shitty combo.

Maybe a sb card in soul sisters or abzan company for the matchups where infinite/high amount of life doesn't really help like tron?

Supast4r

Well it would play like a shitty Ad Nauseum-ish deck so it would try to delay and win in 1 go.

I don't see how this is good whatsoever. Once you draw the second copy of aetherflux the card is dead. It has the same issues that sigarda's aid has with constructed formats not named edh. The second copy is always dead.

Supast4r

My bad, thought you could do it but lose instantly then. Well, not much is lost since it seemed like a boring and shitty combo.

Maybe a sb card in soul sisters or abzan company for the matchups where infinite/high amount of life doesn't really help like tron?

Soul sisters can't reach 50 life that consistently and Chalice of Life/death seems like a better version of this if you wanted this to work in modern to be honest. Abzan company also doesn't want another card that doesn't work with company.

Bristling%2BHydra%2B%255BKLD%255D.jpg

Not too bad.

This set has a ton of "fun" cards in it but I really have no idea how Standard is going to look.
It's weird how despite only getting one counter on its own, this is more likely to see play than Kalonian Hydra and the like. Well, no trample still makes it unlikely, but it's still more likely.

I don't see how this is good whatsoever. Once you draw the second copy of aetherflux the card is dead. It has the same issues that sigarda's aid has with constructed formats not named edh. The second copy is always dead.
I think you're forgetting the lifegain part.

Supast4r

Who is the best planeswalker from a story development stand point?

Even though many didn't, I really liked how Nahiri was written last block. I liked her motivations for doing what she did. Also she is in my colors (boros) so I can see myself doing similar things if I was put in that situation.

Supast4r

It's weird how despite only getting one counter on its own, this is more likely to see play than Kalonian Hydra and the like. Well, no trample still makes it unlikely, but it's still more likely.

I think you're forgetting the lifegain part.

Even though it doubles your lifegain, seeing this card twice likely means that the second copy has significantly less impact on the board than the first one did. (Which already has almost no board impact) Modern is also a stony silence/k-command format.

Even though many didn't, I really liked how Nahiri was written last block. I liked her motivations for doing what she did. Also she is in my colors (boros) so I can see myself doing similar things if I was put in that situation.

Make a note people, miss one phone call and Supast4r will try and kill you. :p

EDIT: Though, now I think about it, they probably should have removed the white in Sorin, Grim Nemesis. Dude has supposedly just given up on his world and is motivated 100% by revenge, what's white about that?

EDIT: Though, now I think about it, they probably should have removed the white in Sorin, Grim Nemesis. Dude has supposedly just given up on his world and is motivated 100% by revenge, what's white about that?
Will also kill millions of bystanders:p

Supast4r

If you were locked in a Helvault for 100s of years and you expected your mentor to help your plane when the eldrazi came because he told you to, how would you not do the same thing? Even though Nahiri killed off a lot of life on Sorin's plane, Sorin was using both vampires and humans as a ecosystem with Avacyn to feed his God complex so killing them doesn't feel wrong. If anything it feels like I'm liberating them from Sorin.

If you were locked in a Helvault for 100s of years and you expected your mentor to help your plane when the eldrazi came because he told you to, how would you not do the same thing? Even though Nahiri killed off a lot of life on Sorin's plane, Sorin was using both vampires and humans as a ecosystem with Avacyn to feed his God complex.

She was locked in the Helvault after she tried to murder Sorin lol.

Sorin feeding his god complex was also the only thing allowing humanity a fighting chance lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom