• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Nahiri: Okay, I'm going to dedicate the rest of my existence to containing these horrors by sealing myself underground for millennia, you guys will help me protect my ruined world and the totality of existence if shit goes down right?

Sorin: Yeah sure whatever.

Nahiri: Hey, what the fuck, I really could have used your help back there, where were you?

Sorin: Oh yeah I turned off my phone so I could protect MY world, wouldn't want anything bad to happen to it, you know?

Nahiri: I mean dude, you promised you'd show up, that's a dick move.

Sorin: Yeah but you're not very important so I'm not worried about that sort of thing. Enjoy spending centuries in a pitch-black hellscape full of demons.

Nahiri: Well fuck that guy.

I mean, I don't condone it... but I understand.

Supast4r

She was locked in the Helvault after she tried to murder Sorin lol.

Sorin feeding his god complex was also the only thing allowing humanity a fighting chance lol.

She tried to kill him the first time because: she was locked to her plane for a 1000 years trying to prevent the eldrazi from escaping and that asshole really couldn't have came to help her when she needed him once? Also Sorin created the plane which made humanity go there. He really only created Avacyn to keep the vampires from over eating rather than to save humanity.

Yeef

No one's posted this yet?

0096_MTGKLD_EN_HRR.png

Supast4r

Nahiri: Okay, I'm going to dedicate the rest of my existence to containing these horrors by sealing myself underground for millennia, you guys will help me protect my ruined world and the totality of existence if shit goes down right?

Sorin: Yeah sure whatever.

Nahiri: Hey, what the fuck, I really could have used your help back there, where were you?

Sorin: Oh yeah I turned off my phone so I could protect MY world, wouldn't want anything bad to happen to it, you know?

Nahiri: I mean dude, you promised you'd show up, that's a dick move.

Sorin: Yeah but you're not very important so I'm not worried about that sort of thing. Enjoy spending centuries in a pitch-black hellscape full of demons.

Nahiri: Well fuck that guy.

I mean, I don't condone it... but I understand.

I don't see how anyone could side with Sorin in this situation. #StillTeamNahiri

She tried to kill him the first time because: she was locked to her plane for a 1000 years trying to prevent the eldrazi from escaping and that asshole really couldn't have came to help her when she needed him once? Also Sorin created the plane which made humanity go there. He really only created Avacyn to keep the vampires from over eating rather than to save humanity.

He explained he didn't get the call, she attacked. Sorin is 100% an arsehole but Nahiri has been less than justified this whole time.

If Wizards had better writers they could probably have sold this but Nahiri was written as unhinged from the moment she showed up. Sorin locking her away for 1000 years was a dick move but his only other option was to kill her. And once you've even attempted to murder a plane, you are 100% the villain.

Sorin did not create Innistrad lol.

Guesses on the red one? It's probably going to be:

Incendiary Gearhulk - 3RR
Artifact Creature - Construct
Haste
When Incendiary Gearhulk enters the battlefield, it deals 4 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or planeswalkers.
4/4

But I'm hoping for something like:

Incendiary Gearhulk - 3RR
Haste
When Incendiary Gearhulk enters the battlefield, tap all lands your opponents control. Up to four target lands don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
4/4

(The name is already known from a Facebook post)

That's a "this cycle is Mythic so this card has to be Mythic" scenario if I ever saw one. On their own, "better Nekrataal" type cards should be Rare.

Guesses on the red one? It's probably going to be:

Incendiary Gearhulk - 5RR
Haste
When Incendiary Gearhulk enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
4/4

Supast4r

He explained he didn't get the call, she attacked. Sorin is 100% an arsehole but Nahiri has been less than justified this whole time.

If Wizards had better writers they could probably have sold this but Nahiri was written as unhinged from the moment she showed up. Sorin locking her away for 1000 years was a dick move but his only other option was to kill her. And once you've even attempted to murder a plane, you are 100% the villain.

Sorin "created" innistrad's ecosystem so to me that means that he created innistrad. Sorin went out of his way to not get the call by blocking out anything from reaching his plane. Sorin didn't have to lock her up, he straight up could have just apologized and helped her fix her plane. How is this not an option? If you were locked in a cube for 1000s of years without light or anything the mere concept of morals get thrown out the window. Locking someone away for 1000 years rather than helping someone makes you the villain. Why does it matter that the creatures on innistrad were murdered anyhow? If they don't die to Emrakul, the humans die to vampires and zombies that are omnipresent anyhow. The vampires die to Avacyn for just trying to feed. The rest of the people are undead or can be reanimated from necromancers like Gisa so it's w/e. It's really not hard to justify not caring for things dying on innistrad when there are mechanisms in place that kill them off and the plane is themed about things dying all the time anyhow.

Hero

That's a "this cycle is Mythic so this card has to be Mythic" scenario if I ever saw one. On their own, "better Nekrataal" type cards should be Rare.

Incendiary Gearhulk - 5RR
Haste
When Incendiary Gearhulk enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
4/4

Sad but probably close to truth.

OnPoint

This is correct. Why are we having this discussion again?

Supast4r

This is correct. Why are we having this discussion again?

How was this Sorin's only option? Nahiri came to him the first time trying to figure out if he was even alive. When she finds out that he didn't do anything she gets mad. Right then and there Sorin could have admitted fault and HELPED Nahiri out since the eldrazi were still alive and trapped on Zendikar. He had options, he chose to do nothing multiple times because he didn't feel like it.

Sorin "created" innistrad's ecosystem so to me that means that he created innistrad. Sorin went out of his way to not get the call by blocking out anything from reaching his plane. Sorin didn't have to lock her up, he straight up could have just apologized and helped her fix her plane. How is this not an option? If you were locked in a cube for 1000s of years without light or anything the mere concept of morals get thrown out the window. Locking someone away for 1000 years rather than helping someone makes you the villain. Why does it matter that the creatures on innistrad were murdered anyhow? If they don't die to Emrakul, the humans die to vampires and zombies that are omnipresent anyhow. The vampires die to Avacyn for just trying to feed. The rest of the people are undead or can be reanimated from necromancers like Gisa so it's w/e. It's really not hard to justify not caring for things dying on innistrad when there are mechanisms in place that kill them off and the plane is themed about things dying all the time anyhow.

Where are you getting Sorin creating Innistrad's ecosystem from? The only things he created are Avacyn and the Helvault (which I'm sure is a retcon).

She. Attacked. Him. His options were lock her up or kill her at that point. The bolded indicates to me that this discussion is over, since clearly you've spent too much time in your cocoon Nahiri. :p

How was this Sorin's only option? Nahiri came to him the first time trying to figure out if he was even alive. When she finds out that he didn't do anything she gets mad. Right then and there Sorin could have admitted fault and HELPED Nahiri out since the eldrazi were still alive and trapped on Zendikar. He had options, he chose to do nothing multiple times because he didn't feel like it.

Dude, Sorin explains himself and Nahiri decides to attack. Avacyn basically saves him from her killing him at that point. This is their only interaction before their final duel. Sorin didn't answer her once and she decides, "welp, he's gotta die."

Yeef

So there's 3 mythics left unspoiled and two of them we know (Dovin Baan and Red Gearhulk). I think we'll probably see the Gearhulk this week, but I suspect they'll save Dovin for next week. Still more than half the rares in the set to be spoiled.

I'm glad that they're spoiling more commons and uncommons earlier compared to some previous spoiler seasons. As someone who primarily plays limited, it helps to get an early idea of how the set will play.

duxstar

That green hydra might actually see play, Obviously it depends on what the format looks like (as with every single card out, but being able to give itself hexproof for a turn is no joke.

The cards I'm interested in seeing are the rares that make tokens, mainly in red or white, I think a Naya planeswalker deck almost builds itself when you sit down.

Oath of Nissa, Sylvan Advocate, Tireless Tracker/Oath of gideon, Gideon/Nahiri/Arlinn Kord, Chandra, New nissa, Avacyn is just kind of nuts, Although when I built the deck from EDM it had a hard time dealing with opposing planeswalkers.

I'm interested to see if there is a payoff for token generators, mainly you would be looking at white/red to fill up this role, and other than the 3/2 dwarf we haven't seen anything. Basically in my mind I'm already piling up the cards for some sweet g/w tokens deck and want to see the payoff lol, Oath of Nissa into Selfless Spirit (to protect my tokens) into 3 CMC Token generator, into Gideon, Into Verdurous Gearhulk! It's all I want wizards please lol. I tried Hanweir Garrison and at 2/3 it wasn't strong enough to swing 3 and was pretty held back by languish

As a quick aside I might pick up a couple of Nahiri's at 20 bux right now, seeing as how her ability to destroy artifacts might be relevant with the new set.

I'm really looking f

Core sets were good for cycles like the gearhulks at mythic since they usually weren't the very popular anyway but 5 mythics in a big set being these boring almost vanilla creatures is just a waste.
The immediate comparison are the titans and those were marvelous except for the blue one, which still was a limited hell.

That green hydra might actually see play, Obviously it depends on what the format looks like (as with every single card out, but being able to give itself hexproof for a turn is no joke.

The cards I'm interested in seeing are the rares that make tokens, mainly in red or white, I think a Naya planeswalker deck almost builds itself when you sit down.

Oath of Nissa, Sylvan Advocate, Tireless Tracker/Oath of gideon, Gideon/Nahiri/Arlinn Kord, Chandra, New nissa, Avacyn is just kind of nuts, Although when I built the deck from EDM it had a hard time dealing with opposing planeswalkers.

I'm interested to see if there is a payoff for token generators, mainly you would be looking at white/red to fill up this role, and other than the 3/2 dwarf we haven't seen anything. Basically in my mind I'm already piling up the cards for some sweet g/w tokens deck and want to see the payoff lol, Oath of Nissa into Selfless Spirit (to protect my tokens) into 3 CMC Token generator, into Gideon, Into Verdurous Gearhulk! It's all I want wizards please lol. I tried Hanweir Garrison and at 2/3 it wasn't strong enough to swing 3 and was pretty held back by languish

As a quick aside I might pick up a couple of Nahiri's at 20 bux right now, seeing as how her ability to destroy artifacts might be relevant with the new set.

I'm really looking f

new chandra could solve that problem.

duxstar

The reason I love spoiler season is because I can totally mis-read a card, think its good, only to realize later that I screwed up and it's not as good as I thought lol.

Latest Case in point Lathnu Hellion

I read it as "When it enter's the Battlefield Gain 2 energy 4/4 Haste at the beginning of your end step pay 2 energy or sacrifice it THIS TURN only"

What it actually reads is "Every End step pay 2 energy or sacrifice it" lol

Core sets were good for cycles like the gearhulks at mythic since they usually weren't the very popular anyway but 5 mythics in a big set being these boring almost vanilla creatures is just a waste.
The immediate comparison are the titans and those were marvelous except for the blue one, which still was a limited hell.
Rite of Replication kicked on Inferno Titan is a really fun way to win EDH Cube drafts.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216141646]Worse than Shriekmaw and that was an uncommon[/QUOTE]

Ah Shriekmaw. Too powerful for uncommon, not exciting enough for rare.

Ashodin

where are the thopters
They swerved hard against them because they hate flyers

Also where my equipment at Blizz

Seems they substituted +1/+1 counters for them :/

I guess Mirrodin sets will only be the focus of equipment? Man I'm sick of new phyrexia, let's cleanse the place already, we know White religion lady won, get koth on the phone

5bgv6vjtj3kx.jpg

Ajani time! Gotta have a cat to go to Amonkhet

Supast4r

Where are you getting Sorin creating Innistrad's ecosystem from? The only things he created are Avacyn and the Helvault (which I'm sure is a retcon).

She. Attacked. Him. His options were lock her up or kill her at that point. The bolded indicates to me that this discussion is over, since clearly you've spent too much time in your cocoon Nahiri. :p

Dude, Sorin explains himself and Nahiri decides to attack. Avacyn basically saves him from her killing him at that point. This is their only interaction before their final duel. Sorin didn't answer her once and she decides, "welp, he's gotta die."

Sorin creating Avacyn is creating an ecosystem. Avacyn gets A LOT stronger when there are less people around so the vampires can't routinely feed on humans because they will get killed. She also gets super weak when there are too many people so vampires can feed on the people. That is the definition of creating an ecosystem...

Sorin "explains himself" but does nothing to actually help Nahiri. Does saying "yeah I made rays so I flat out didn't want to help you" just absolve sorin of any guilt? After explaining himself he could have just HELPED her out and kept the eldrazi locked up. Nahiri came there seeking his help and he flat out says no even though he promised to. Why is everyone on gaf okay with the fact that he went against his word and then locked her up so he was justified? Is everyone on gaf mono black or something?

This might be the first prerelease event I will attend.
Anything to be aware of?
Like how much does it usually cost to attend a prerelease event and is it just for fun or can you actually win something?
I guess it depends on your local store but some general information would be highly appreciated.

Firemind

Anything to be aware of?
Like how much does it usually cost to attend a prerelease event and is it just for fun or can you actually win something?
I guess it depends on your local store but some general information would be highly appreciated.
Depends on the store. I hear the US have generous prize structures. Over here it's just win one get one pack.

Anything to be aware of?

The price can vary greatly. The one I go to charges about $25 and is pretty generous with prizes, but it's best to call your LGS beforehand. You can find a store nearby with this.

Prizes are typically just booster packs, with you getting more the better you do, but sometimes play mats are given out and such.

The event itself is very casual, and people will typically be fine with you walking back improperly cast spells and such, besides the guys who take it too seriously. Some things to know outside of deckbuilding are:
* Bring drinks and snacks. Hopefully nothing that will make your hands greasy.
* Bring something to do between matches.
* If there's any doubt, call a judge. Don't let that one guy play with one card sleeve that's a different color than the others.
* Speaking of which, while many people don't use them in these events, you should probably bring card sleeves.
* During the deck building stage, feel free to ask for help from the people around you, or brag about an awesome card you pulled.

ultron87

Anything to be aware of?

Typically they are $25-$30 here in the U.S. Prizes depend on the store but there should always be something because Wizards provides extra packs for that purpose.

You can always win additional packs if you do well, and some stores will do stuff like giving everyone a bonus pack instead of having a super top heavy prize structure.

Depends on the store. I hear the US have generous prize structures. Over here it's just win one get one pack.

Alright, thanks. I guess I just have to call the store and ask them about the event.

The event itself is very casual, and people will typically be fine with you walking back improperly cast spells and such, besides the guys who take it too seriously. Some things to know outside of deckbuilding are:
* Bring drinks and snacks. Hopefully nothing that will make your hands greasy.
* Bring something to do between matches.
* If there's any doubt, call a judge. Don't let that one guy play with one card sleeve that's a different color than the others.
* Speaking of which, while many people don't use them in these events, you should probably bring card sleeves.
* During the deck building stage, feel free to ask for help from the people around you, or brag about an awesome card you pulled.

That was also helpful, thanks everyone!

OnPoint

I didn't say it was his only option -- don't put words in my mouth. And frankly I'm not interested in having this argument again. I think Sorin was a dick, but Nahiri was bat-shit crazy. Being a dick justifies attempted murder? Ok... but let's say Nahiri was right was right to attack Sorin during that first fight, that's fine. Attempting to kill an entire plane in the name of revenge against one person, reasons aside, is super villain-tier shit. I repeat -- she attempted to outright destroy an entire world. Entire societies made up of presumably millions of people and other sentient beings. Maybe if she put this much effort into saving her own plane instead of trying to destroy Sorin's we would have had a good return to her world and Battle for Zendikar wouldn't have sucked so badly. So good, now she's TWICE the villain.

Sorin creating Avacyn is creating an ecosystem. Avacyn gets A LOT stronger when there are less people around so the vampires can't routinely feed on humans because they will get killed. She also gets super weak when there are too many people so vampires can feed on the people. That is the definition of creating an ecosystem...

Sorin "explains himself" but does nothing to actually help Nahiri. Does saying "yeah I made rays so I flat out didn't want to help you" just absolve sorin of any guilt? After explaining himself he could have just HELPED her out and kept the eldrazi locked up. Nahiri came there seeking his help and he flat out says no even though he promised to. Why is everyone on gaf okay with the fact that he went against his word and then locked her up so he was justified? Is everyone on gaf mono black or something?

Avacyn explicitly maintains the status quo. Creating an ecosystem that is not. We're not ok with Sorin refusing to help Nahiri, as we've all said, Sorin is an arse hole. We just don't think murdering an entire plane is an acceptable response.

EDIT: Short of a retcon, she's succeeded in murdering the plane, it'll just take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom