• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Man, everyone takes every single event as an opportunity to spin these stories about how WotC is run by these, like, cruel ogres who just look for ways to make horrible decisions that piss off their fans. They are very clearly aware of the situation with Damnation and what people are expecting from them about it -- Rosewater and Forsythe have acknowledged it explicitly recently. Rosewater notes several times in this article that this can be one part of an effective reprint strategy, not all of it. Like I don't think they have been successful so far in the reprinting goal but it's not really because they're just whistling past the graveyard.

Woah there buddy why don't we cool our jets for a bit :p I just don't thinking describing this as part of their reprint strategy really makes sense since this puts so few new cards into circulation. I mean its technically accurate but feels tone-deaf. I'm sorry I feel that WOTC has been less than ideal with their reprint strategy but at the same time I'm not on a plane to Seattle to knock some heads around so you can put away your counter-pitchforks :p

red13th

What's the hypocritical part? Where are they contradicting themselves?

Nowhere, I hadn't read the whole article and made assumptions. They make it clear that they aren't deluded into thinking this is a remotely effective reprint strategy:

We want the Masterpiece Series to be opt-in. Cards that appear in a Masterpiece Series should be available elsewhere in an easier-to-acquire version. Magic sets should be just as fun as always if you ignore the Masterpiece Series. It is added value that can be ignored if desired.

It's just a cash grab for people who like pimp cards. Nothing wrong wih it.

811fiy0pw2lx.png

1473673978-3873-capture-d-ecran.png

I wonder if this is good enough for Vintage. Probably not.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I know I feel this way.
Theros block - It is not too difficult to collect all the alternate arts (FNMs, etc) for Theros block.
Tarkir block - it is much more difficult to collect all the alternate arts, thanks to the Ugin's Fate promos, but there's only really one expensive card (promo Ugin goes for over $100).
Battle for Zendikar block - if you include the expeditions, this is basically impossible to complete.
I imagine Shadows over Innistrad block is easier, but we revert back to the BFZ model starting with Kaladesh on.

Yeah I transitioned from being a player first, collector second for almost 20 years, to being a collector first instead a few years ago when it became hard to find other players. I was building a pretty nice collection for a while with all the staples, promos, and uniques. But with modern masters, from the vaults, billions of promos, commander, and now expeditions, there is just too much to keep up with without spending silly money. Especially because I love cracking boosters to find value. The gambler in me I guess.

I am going to start sticking with staples that are guaranteed to retain or raise in value and just sell the rest. Probably use some of that money to get a bunch more old duals and lock em away for a few years.

lol look at this edgelord
rigval asked: It's worst possible thing to add super-mythics in the game and you'll be punished for your greed. It

Greed? Everything you were going to get in a Kaladesh booster is still there. We’ve just added the chance to get something cool, all of which are cards available through other means at a normal rarity. And the existence of Masterpiece cards will make it easier to acquire the nonMasterpiece cards in the set. How is giving you extra value for free greedy?

Hero

Anyone want to speculate on what other artifacts we could see for Masterpieces?

I'm super hoping for a Sol Ring, I hate the new era art and want something else.

Icy Manipulator because it's generic and kind of iconic for older players.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216683722]Aether hub would have been the most godlike artifact land.[/QUOTE]

you're goddamned right. I need artifact lands and that white one drop would be sick as fuck

Chance of this reprint in Amonkhet?

31.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh they said all of them would be revealed today, but we haven't seen any other than the initial four. I wonder what the schedule for rolling them out is

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Artifact Lands. xD
Any new playable artifact land would pretty much break affinity.
Maybe if they did this;

Artiland
Artifact Land

Artiland enters the battlefield tapped.
tap.gif
: Add
colorless_mana.gif
to your mana pool.

kirblar

Anyone want to speculate on what other artifacts we could see for Masterpieces?

I'm super hoping for a Sol Ring, I hate the new era art and want something else.

Icy Manipulator because it's generic and kind of iconic for older players.
Things that immediately come to mind:

Sol Ring
Icy Manipulator
Engineered Explosives
Cranial Plating
Artifact Lands
Arcbound Ravager
Masticore

Huh they said all of them would be revealed today, but we haven't seen any other than the initial four. I wonder what the schedule for rolling them out is
5PM PST

Crocodile

tDNhLJ4.png

Seems good in Limited.

EDIT:
jDbyN9N.jpg

The bird harkens back to

Image.ashx

and

Image.ashx

Better than both those cards but strictly better than neither (though it comes damn close in the case of the Neurok Familiar)

As for the Black 4 drop, that seems to be another card in WOTC's recent push to differentiate Black from Red and give Black higher toughness creatures. Seems like a fine card in most limited formats - we'll see soon if that's true as well in Kaladesh.

See, this is who your ire should be pointed at charlequin :p

Hero

Sol Ring
Icy Manipulator
Engineered Explosives
Cranial Plating
Artifact Lands
Arcbound Ravager
Masticore

5PM PST

Cranial Plating would be sick.

Aren't the Artifact Lands and Arcbound Ravager kind of unique to Mirrodin?

Solemn might be fun and it's very Commander group friendly. Sword cycle too.

bigkrev

I still stand by the fact that unbanning the artifact lands wouldn't have significant impact on Affinity. You are still running 4x Inkmoth as it's a great win condition with Ravager counters and Plating (especially when infinite life is popular), you are probably still running Glimmervoid (especially for your SB cards, but also casting Galvanic Blast, Painless Vault Skirge and Master off of 1 land is still valuable), so It's basically a case where the colored ones would replace the some number of Blinkmoths and likely all the Darksteel Citadels. So you would be netting maybe 4 more Artifact Lands than you do currently- they certainly make Turn 1 Opal better (makes you more likely to cast a 2 drop on turn 1), but you are then trading the long game value of Blinkmoth (which dodges most artifact/creature sweepers and can increase an Inkmoth's clock).

Artifact Lands need to stay banned because of KCI and other broken things.

Hup8j9b.png

Rangers Guile 2.0

Odd that it only hits creatures you control. Perhaps players mistakenly thought they could use instant hexproof spells to counter spells opponents cast on their own creatures, like with Vines of Vastwood.
Image.ashx

EDIT:
So why do you get to choose the order in which you put cards on the bottom of your library with this, but everything else in the set has you putting them on the bottom at random?

With small amounts of cards, they allow you to put them back in any order. With large or variable amounts of cards, they use a random order instead.

OnPoint

Odd that it only hits creatures you control. Perhaps players mistakenly thought they could use instant hexproof spells to counter spells opponents cast on their own creatures, like with Vines of Vastwood.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=397747&type=card[/IG][/QUOTE]

I could see a moment where someone does this thinking it would work and learning it doesn't, leading to a feel-bad moment.

I have a theory that they make cards that are strictly (or almost entirely) beneficial only be able to target your stuff to prevent feelbads in digital Magic products.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Sol Ring
Icy Manipulator
Engineered Explosives
Cranial Plating
Artifact Lands
Arcbound Ravager
Masticore

5PM PST

Things I was thinking of - Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Black Vise, Skullclamp, Mana Vault, Winter Orb, Mindslaver, Platinum Angel?

Artifact Lands are very specific to Mirrodin (all of them are specific places, Darksteel is specific to Mirrodin as well).

Does this see play in Infect?

I don't know if Infect really wants more copies of Vines. I'd just as soon they just fucking ban Infect out. Fuck Infect.

Supast4r

Kingpin might be playable in modern grixis in the sideboard just because he has a great body. A 1/4 lifelink in those colors is godsent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still stand by the fact that unbanning the artifact lands wouldn't have significant impact on Affinity. You are still running 4x Inkmoth as it's a great win condition with Ravager counters and Plating (especially when infinite life is popular), you are probably still running Glimmervoid (especially for your SB cards, but also casting Galvanic Blast, Painless Vault Skirge and Master off of 1 land is still valuable), so It's basically a case where the colored ones would replace the some number of Blinkmoths and likely all the Darksteel Citadels. So you would be netting maybe 4 more Artifact Lands than you do currently- they certainly make Turn 1 Opal better (makes you more likely to cast a 2 drop o
n turn 1), but you are then trading the long game value of Blinkmoth (which dodges most artifact/creature sweepers and can increase an Inkmoth's clock).

Artifact Lands need to stay banned because of KCI and other broken things.

The Seat of the Synod cycle is getting unbanned on the first of never.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Sol Ring
Icy Manipulator
Engineered Explosives
Cranial Plating
Artifact Lands
Arcbound Ravager
Masticore

5PM PST
Things I was thinking of - Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Black Vise, Skullclamp, Mana Vault, Winter Orb, Mindslaver, Platinum Angel?

Artifact Lands are very specific to Mirrodin (all of them are specific places, Darksteel is specific to Mirrodin as well).
Maybe I'm missing something here, but Aether Vial seems like an easy prediction. You know, because Aether.

Hero

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Aether Vial seems like an easy prediction. You know, because Aether.

Aether Vial is definitely a good one. It should be in Aether Revolt but watch them put it in Kaladesh for you know, reasons.

Oblivion Stone please.

red13th

Sol Ring
Icy Manipulator
Engineered Explosives
Cranial Plating
Artifact Lands
Arcbound Ravager
Masticore

5PM PST

Masticore is on the reserved list, Artifact lands are setting specific I think but would be pretty cool!

Ones I want: Smokestack, Tangle Wire, Scroll Rack, Worn Powerstone, Sword of Fire and Ice, Mimic Vat, Grafted Wargear, Sundering Titan.

EDIT: Ooooh Mana Vault would be nice.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216688924]Hell, Aether Vial could just be straight-up reprinted into Standard.[/QUOTE]

It would be just as annoying as Collected Company.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216689239]I mean, Spell Queller already has Flash. Aether Vial isn't gonna hit a whole lot of interesting stuff before 3 counters anyway.[/QUOTE]

Playing it for free is pretty good.

They're not reprinting Aether Vial. I mean, Maro already said there are only 5 cards in Kaladesh Inventions that are in Kaladesh itself. It's the Gearhulk cycle.

I know I feel this way.

The quantity of "bling" card releases has definitely gone way, way, way up. If you wanted to count up everything from the last year, you'd be looking at:

• Standard pack foils of every single card in four expansions and two reprint booster expansions
  • Pre-release foils of every rare and mythic from four expansions
  • Set-specific promos: one Launch Party, two Game Day, one Buy-a-Box, and five Intro Pack promos per set
  • Custom foil or alt-art cards from two sets of Duel Decks
  • Five premium SDCC planeswalkers
  • 45 Zendikar Expeditions
  • One 15-card From the Vault set
  • Eight Judge foils
  • Two big box store promos
  • One promo each for WMCQ, RPTQ, and GP tournaments
  • One Happy Holidays promo
I think that's everything? And of course it goes up further with Expeditions in every set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom