• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

THE SWWWWWWWWWORRRRRRRRDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

akljlfkjalkhdfskjdghklsgljkg

en_g2UfOun34M.png

GOAT art

My Tajic EDH deck cries out for them

lhjhbB9.gif

Huh. I don't remember and can't really look it up, but since they're numbered then they were divided alphabetically between sets seems weird to me lol.

It seems that way, at least. Which would appear to suggest that Sword of Body and Mind won't be included since we're already past that alphabetically.

Yeah, basically the amount of bling people are interested in is inversely proportional to how quickly the cards they get will stop being useful. Vintage is the other one, but a) lot more of the Vintage crowd (relatively speaking) already has their decks as blinged as they want, and b) most people don't have more than one Vintage deck, and those typically fall in a somewhat narrow list, while most Commander players have multiple decks and the range of possible decks is enormous. Any product like this is gonna lean heavily into stuff that Commander players (and Cube builders) are likely to enjoy.

Heavily? It seems almost exclusively for EDH. It's like they went through a checklist of the most artifacts played in EDH, heck there's lightning greaves innit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think its the same foiling as they used in Expeditions.

Huh. I don't remember and can't really look it up, but since they're numbered then they were divided alphabetically between sets seems weird to me lol.

I am 99% sure they're not picking up at late S with Aether Revolt, both because there aren't 24 good choices left in T - Z and because that'd mean these are the only three Swords (Body and Mind should come first) and that seems seriously unlikely. I think it's more unlikely they numbered them in two batches so people wouldn't obsessively produce number crunching lists to identify the second set early.

Heavily? It seems almost exclusively for EDH.

Hangarback Walker, Aether Vial, Lotus Petal, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, Crucible of Worlds, Painter's Servant, Solemn Simulacrum, and Steel Overseer are all ones I would primarily associate with non-Commander formats.

Looks like I wasn't quite quick enough with my edit. I realized it when looking through the list again.

Gotta be faster on the eraser draw! Also, saying that it's all EDH stuff is a bit weird. Sure, some of the things are mostly seen in EDH but several of the cards see play in Modern and eternal format like...oh, uh, just see charlequin above. Something something about needing to be faster on the draw.

Ashodin

Conversely, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, Crucible of Worlds, Solemn Simulacrum, and Steel Overseer I would.

To each their own.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am 99% sure they're not picking up at late S with Aether Revolt, both because there aren't 24 good choices left in T - Z and because that'd mean these are the only three Swords (Body and Mind should come first) and that seems seriously unlikely. I think it's more unlikely they numbered them in two batches so people wouldn't obsessively produce number crunching lists to identify the second set early.

Hangarback Walker, Aether Vial, Lotus Petal, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, Crucible of Worlds, Painter's Servant, Solemn Simulacrum, and Steel Overseer are all ones I would primarily associate with non-Commander formats.

They did seem to front load this one with the really powerful stuff just like in BFZ though. I mean, there's still a few good artifacts eligible for reprints, but it seems like a shorter list of good stuff - Thorn of Amethyst, Tangle Wire, Engineered Explosives, Chalice of the Void, Sphere of Resistance (?), Cranial Plating, Swords 4 and 5, Arcbound Ravager, Batterskull, and I can't really think of many others I could justify. Maybe Mind Stone or something? Jitte would obviously be kind of random on Kaladesh.

At the very least I'm hoping the AEther Revolt set of Masterpieces has the winning entry in the Fair: Ornithopter.

Gotta be faster on the eraser draw! Also, saying that it's all EDH stuff is a bit weird. Sure, some of the things are mostly seen in EDH but several of the cards see play in Modern and eternal format like...oh, uh, just see charlequin above. Something something about needing to be faster on the draw.

I'm with him like this

The rest, in particular solemn, is heavily played in commander. Commander is more popular with the casual crowd though so I've only interacted with these cards through it. Painter's Servant is banned in EDH so it's not exclusively.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Think these are really ugly even after seeing video of the actual cards but I hope I open some because hey free money. Some of the art is amazing though.

Takuhi

Jitte would obviously be kind of random on Kaladesh.

At the very least I'm hoping the AEther Revolt set of Masterpieces has the winning entry in the Fair: Ornithopter.

In the article Maro specifically said no Jitte because of the flavor mismatch. I wonder what else that disqualifies?

Daedardus

This art style, those reprints, I'm dead, or at least my wallet is.

But have to say I find Kaladesh art to be really on point, not into horror myself so SOI didn't do much for me.

Fou-Lu

Adding another rarity is not something I wanted Wizards. As beautiful as the art is this shit is going to drive prices to insanity.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Adding another rarity is not something I wanted Wizards. As beautiful as the art is this shit is going to drive prices to insanity.

Then dont play with those versions? A new rarity is totally fine when there aren't actual cards specifically tied to that rarity. My only real gripe is the cards being allowed in limited. Just think its a bad idea.

y2dvd

This is not an ends all normal reprints. I'm sure you will still see some regular (Masters or Conspiracy) staple reprints. A lot of these were already reprinted not too long ago. Nothing to freak out about.

Angry Grimace

This is actually incorrect. These cards are not standard legal and have less expensive printings elsewhere. The inclusion of these cards tends to crash prices of Standard cards because the set is opened looking for Pimp Cards that are not otherwise unique.

This is not an ends all normal reprints. I'm sure you will still see some regular (Masters or Conspiracy) staple reprints. A lot of these were already reprinted not too long ago. Nothing to freak out about.

I mean, Modern Masters 2017 was announced two weeks ago and they put Berserk and Show and Tell in Conspiracy. I don't think this is anything close to the "end of reprints," but I do think it tells you that they're not going to be dumping Thoughtseize and/or Mutavault into Standard again anytime soon. Which isn't a bad thing.

Conversely, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, Crucible of Worlds, Solemn Simulacrum, and Steel Overseer I would.

Not saying that those cards don't get played in Commander, but all of those are past or present tournament staples in more competitive formats. Like if your mandate was to exclude "Commander" cards all of those would still be viable choices.

For play purposes, this will only drive the prices on Standard-legal cards down.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...erpiece-series-kaladesh-inventions-2016-09-12

They hit the big ones outside of maybe spellskite, which makes sense since it's tied to phyrexian mana anyways. Some of these are gorgeous.

FTV: Elder Dragon Highlander

All those cards are awesome though. I always forget Crucible is legal in Modern. It just seems like the sort of busted card that would be banned but they let Blood Moon stick around so what do I know. I guess it's actually not that good without real land destruction.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216710845]FTV: Elder Dragon Highlander

All those cards are awesome though. I always forget Crucible is legal in Modern. It just seems like the sort of busted card that would be banned but they let Blood Moon stick around so what do I know. I guess it's actually not that good without real land destruction.[/QUOTE]

I tried to do something with Crucible and Boom/Bust + Goblin Dark-Dwellers but it was too janky.

Angry Grimace

Even if you take away the filigree, artifacts should be brown anyways. That grey color they've used since 8th Edition/Darksteel sucks.

Well I beat the jund list from worlds with that boom//bust crucible list. Game 1 I won with life from the loam and seismic assault and game 2 I blood moon locked my opponent's dark confidant. Boom//Bust combo is definitely possible with the life from the loam strategy.

There's no way in hell this deck beats anything aggressive, though.

unban punishing fire

Hero

Got a number of them right, but don't think they were too hard.

Ugh. A playset of those vials is going to be super expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom