• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A thing that they can do with this is make it so members of the Gatewatch that don't show up in sets can sort of have cards in the set without actually requiring them to get new cards, e.g. if Liliana of the Veil was randomly in this set (although its artifact themed so obviously not).

Woah there buddy why don't we cool our jets for a bit :p I just don't thinking describing this as part of their reprint strategy really makes sense since this puts so few new cards into circulation. I mean its technically accurate but feels tone-deaf. I'm sorry I feel that WOTC has been less than ideal with their reprint strategy but at the same time I'm not on a plane to Seattle to knock some heads around so you can put away your counter-pitchforks :p

To be clear, I think their reprint strategy has a ton of problems! The Damnation thing just seems to be this nexus of incoherent rage for people who have decided WotC is out to get them personally, I shouldn't assume because of that that the reverse holds true, sorry. :p

The real problem with solving their reprint problem is exactly that tension between making cards accessible for new players and not screwing players who already spent money on them. (This is why the correct strategy for many cards is just to make sure they never spike too high in the first place.) Masters sets plus Conspiracy plus all these preconstructed deck products have had a noticeable effect in aggregate on many older cards, but they've tried to avoid cratering too many cards since people get antsy. I'm not sure there's a better strategy than this overall, I just think they need to change their speed and emphasis.

Anyone want to speculate on what other artifacts we could see for Masterpieces?

Aether Vial.

A huge chunk of popular, played artifacts are either Reserved or planebound -- anything with the words "Arcbound," "Blinkmoth," "Mycosynth," "Darksteel," etc. is Mirrodin-specific, and obviously anything Phyrexian won't fly.

Some other serious possibilities that don't violate the stated rules: Coat of Arms, Crucible of Worlds, Ivory Tower, Oblivion Stone, Mindslaver, Vedalken Shackles + Vedalken Orrery, Defense Grid, Engineered Explosives, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Resistance, Mox Opal, Smokestack, Tangle Wire,

Glint-Nest is constructed playable. (See: The 1/3 fetch an instant/sorcery guy whose name escapes me.)

Augur of Bolas.

I was looking through that top 50 artifacts article in my previous post, and damn, every semi-interesting artifact there is on the Reserved List, haha.

EDIT: Concerning Blossoming Defense only targeting creatures you control, MTG Salvation pointed out this allows it to dodge Spellskite. That could definitely make it relevant.
230.jpg

red13th

OG Karn got reprinted in From the Vault: Relics tho?

Masticore and Mox Diamond too but they are still on the reserved list. Back then there was the foil loophole.

EDIT: Memory Jar too. Ah things were so good back then. Survival of the Fittest judge foil too. *weeps*

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Masticore and Mox Diamond too but they are still on the reserved list. Back then there was the foil loophole.

EDIT: Memory Jar too. Ah things were so good back then. Survival of the Fittest judge foil too. *weeps*

My brother gave me an FTV: Relics for Christmas that year and I still have it mint in box. I'm holding onto that baby

traveler

Not Wario
I don't understand the negative reactions to the masterpiece series all over the first page of the spoilers this morning at salv. They seem like a great idea across the board- more supply of standard staples at more reasonable prices, more business for the game, the occassional lotto ticket for those opening packs, more availability of older wanted cards, more, a cool (ymmv) look for beloved cards. Like, the only possible downside I can even see here is that WotC stops doing more mass market/even limited market (mm, ema, etc.) reprints of stuff thinking the masterpiece series does a good enough job on its own, but that's a stretch, not proven yet, and wouldn't even be the worst trade in the world if it did end up happening.

Edit: I should probably read the past two pages before posting....
Edit2: Yeah, forgot one other downside- these being limited legal is stupid as hell. Getting wrecked by a turn 4 on the play Reality Smasher off an ancient tomb dropped that turn was pretty feel bad. Just make them an extra card that players can reveal and pull out of a draft while still picking something else.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oooh Swords!

I assume the other 2 are in Aether Revolt.

ironmang

These look beautiful. Of course this will make me open packs/boxes I win instead of selling them and I'll open these way below the average rate just like the Expeditions. :p

Angry Grimace

I really like the ones with extra Kaladesh flavor text.

bigkrev

I really like the ones with extra Kaladesh flavor text.

Yeah, I love that the flavor of these are inventions submitted to the fair. The Mana Cryot one is hilarious

I wonder what the prices on he Modern/Legacy ones end up being. I think Aether Vial ends up being the most expensive one?

What an Invention looks like in motion (tw: Trick Jarrett): https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/775443311557431297

Can't embed since it's loaded to twitter as an mp4...

I don't understand the negative reactions to the masterpiece series all over the first page of the spoilers this morning at salv.

It's a salv thread.

Champion's Helm??

In what world would anyone be happy with that?

The world where a cheap equipment that makes your Commander bigger and semi-unanswerable is a super popular inclusion? It's a ten dollar card that people will actively be interested in a blingy version of.

Not an accident, those are the blingiest "self-identify" players out there.

Yeah, basically the amount of bling people are interested in is inversely proportional to how quickly the cards they get will stop being useful. Vintage is the other one, but a) lot more of the Vintage crowd (relatively speaking) already has their decks as blinged as they want, and b) most people don't have more than one Vintage deck, and those typically fall in a somewhat narrow list, while most Commander players have multiple decks and the range of possible decks is enormous. Any product like this is gonna lean heavily into stuff that Commander players (and Cube builders) are likely to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom