• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Hey! DRAFT THIS CUBE multiple times and give me feedback plz <3

There are flaws I've already seen and avenues I have in mind for improvement but more feedback is appreciated

I'm quoting myself here one last time because I'm putting the finishing touches on my submission. I saw Yeef draft the Cube, are you around and have any feedback?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
only because of the masterpieces. From the new cards there's
  • a ton of energy that won't make up enough for a dedicated deck yet
  • a legendary that both lacks the sufficient tribe and vehicle support
  • another UG value legendary
  • an artifact that raised immediate cries for bans, which I don't think will be so bad but still might warp the format a bit
  • an artifact legendary that should have been UR
  • a bad angel
  • 2 lacklustre PWs
  • 2 potentially great PWs
  • boring Gearhulk cycle
  • awesome 2nd massacre wurm
  • another doubling value card, really MaRo activated, triggered, tokens, counters, PW ability and a dozen mana wasn't enough?
  • 2 legendaries that straight up feel like worse versions of existing cards
  • a colourless inferno titan, really excited for that one actually
I'd give it between a 7 and an 8 out of 10 depending on how some of the cards parse out.

Still much better than recent sets.

Man, from the way you've described it, this set is a 4/10 for Commander and even worse for other constructed formats. I don't know that it's quite as bad as you have made it out to be, but my initial excitement has waned a bit.

Also, what's the colorless Inferno Titan? The Skysovereign? I think we need to wait and see how vehicles play out in practice before we can say that. I feel like they just won't be very good in EDH, but I could be wrong.

I'm quoting myself here one last time because I'm putting the finishing touches on my submission. I saw Yeef draft the Cube, are you around and have any feedback?
Isn't duskwatch way too good to ever end up in a tribe as bad as werewolves?
Man, from the way you've described it, this set is a 4/10 for Commander and even worse for other constructed formats. I don't know that it's quite as bad as you have made it out to be, but my initial excitement has waned a bit.

Also, what's the colorless Inferno Titan? The Skysovereign? I think we need to wait and see how vehicles play out in practice before we can say that. I feel like they just won't be very good in EDH, but I could be wrong.
Compared to recent sets Kaladesh seems amazing, BFZ through Eldritch has barely made an impact but we'll have to see. I don't think vehicles will be good but Skysovereign might be the exception or just feel awesome to use. For instance token builds can have a difficult time pushing some direct damage and it might slot in there.

Ashodin

smugglerscopter.jpg
will definitely see play.

Yeef

I think my biggest critique is that I felt funneled into mono-color (or near mono-color) most of the time. I'm not sure how much of that is on the bots though. One draft I got a last-pick (or near-last pick) Crux of Fate, which seemed really strange.

I think my biggest critique is that I felt funneled into mono-color (or near mono-color) most of the time. I'm not sure how much of that is on the bots though. One draft I got a last-pick (or near-last pick) Crux of Fate, which seemed really strange.
really? I felt the opposite bit my critique is more that there's too many tribes I'd never go into and whenever I tried going for a tribe I'd get nothing.
There's at least 3 spells matter token producers in UR but the quantity of spells seems low. I really had to go for the bottom of the barrel and grixis when I tried.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Isn't duskwatch way too good to ever end up in a tribe as bad as werewolves?

Compared to recent sets Kaladesh seems amazing, BFZ through Eldritch has barely made an impact but we'll have to see. I don't think vehicles will be good but Skysovereign might be the exception or just feel awesome to use. For instance token builds can have a difficult time pushing some direct damage and it might slot in there.

Barely made an impact on what?

Remember when Maro was hyping this up as "the awesome set"? I mean it seems OK. But nothing has really grabbed me.

Response from pros has been pretty positive. It's full of shit for Vintage and Commander, I'm confident it'll be one of the better draft environments in a while. The modularity of the energy mechanic is gonna make a lot of limited decks and games play out differently, and the archetypes seem a bit less on rails -- I'm certainly excited to draft it. For a group that never ever likes Standard this thread sure does spend a lot of time talking about how set will be bad because of Standard format issues. (Also I suspect a lot of you seriously misremember how people thought about Innistrad when it was being spoiled vs. a month or two into release.)

... so adopted...

i swear to god

really? I felt the opposite bit my critique is more that there's too many tribes I'd never go into and whenever I tried going for a tribe I'd get nothing.
There's at least 3 spells matter token producers in UR but the quantity of spells seems low. I really had to go for the bottom of the barrel and grixis when I tried.

Well, I was able to draft a legit WU spirits deck from it once but yeah, I didn't have a ton of luck drafting tribes outside of that except for one half-assed elves attempt.

OnPoint

Response from pros has been pretty positive. It's full of shit for Vintage and Commander, I'm confident it'll be one of the better draft environments in a while. The modularity of the energy mechanic is gonna make a lot of limited decks and games play out differently, and the archetypes seem a bit less on rails -- I'm certainly excited to draft it. For a group that never ever likes Standard this thread sure does spend a lot of time talking about how set will be bad because of Standard format issues. (Also I suspect a lot of you seriously misremember how people thought about Innistrad when it was being spoiled vs. a month or two into release

I had just started playing again right before Innistrad came out. So I have no clue how it was received. I know I enjoyed it.

Oh, as it turns out, today's story was wrongly attributed to Doug Beyer. It was actually written by Mel Li, which better explains the inconsistencies.

And I haven't commented on today's cards at all.

Disappearing Act is an interesting Cancel variation. I can imagine some cases where you actually just want to return the permanent to your hand and the countering is just a bonus.

Torch Gauntlet is clever in that "firebreathing" is usually +X/+0, so these gauntlets that emit flame only boost your power.

Spark of Creativity is interesting. Obviously not too strong, but it's a neat way to use temporary drawing, and it could lead to interesting decisions in Limited. I've brought up the idea of using the top of the library to bring back red's randomness, and it seems like they're going for that.

Refurbish is a bit odd, after MaRo said that white cares about artifacts less than blue and red, but out of the three colors that normally like artifacts, white is the only one that can get permanents from the graveyard, so this makes sense.

Captured by the Consulate is an interesting design, with that forced redirection of spells in white.

With Cathartic Reunion, it's nice to see happiness in red. This would have been crazy in the same Standard as Pyromancer's Goggles.

Highspire Artisan confuses me. Why does it have reach? Is he just really tall? Is standing in a tall tower really enough?

Weaponcraft Enthusiast is an amusing card. I was disappointed when I saw the art and then saw the effect.

Ambitious Aetherborn is a potential 5/4 for 4B, which seems better than what black usually gets at common.

I'm surprised Reckless Fireweaver is a common, since each servo from a fabricate effect triggers it, and at 1R, it's easy to get multiples out.

Kind of neat that Chief of the Foundry got reprinted.

Foundry Inspector seems pretty good, especially since it makes its other copies cheaper.

With Self-Assembler, it's neat to see a new Assembly-Worker.

Yeef

awcohmQ.jpg

Age of Innovation(?) 1U
Enchantment
Whenever an artifact or artificer enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, you get 2 Energy.

Pay 6 Energy , sacrifice Age of Innovation : Draw three cards.
I like this design a lot. Most of the time, you'd rather have it stick around to keep getting you energy, but if you need to refuel, you can get rid of it at the cost of your engine. It's a nice tension.

I like this design a lot. Most of the time, you'd rather have it stick around to keep getting you energy, but if you need to refuel, you can get rid of it at the cost of your engine. It's a nice tension.

I think a lot of people are still underestimating the "free whenever" aspect of Energy. Like: historically, there are a ton of effects that R&D have reined in and ensured always cost mana to use, which means you're always burning tempo to use them. In this set, those effects all cost energy -- which means you have to get energy first, sure, but you then have way more flexibility in actually using the abilities without cutting into your mana.

Every form of spell manipulation in one card.

Now this is a card that could use Escalate.

Yeef

AgVSTeR.png

Marionette Master 4BB
Creature - Human Artificer (rare)
Fabricate 3
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to Master of Marionettes power.
1/3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AgVSTeR.png

Marionette Master 4BB
Fabricate 3
Whenever an artifact you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to Master of Marionettes power.
1/3

Oh that's fun, I like that

At 6 mana its annoying to get out, but it would be OP at 4

Toxi

Banned
AgVSTeR.png

Marionette Master 4BB
Fabricate 3
1/3
Oooh, this is an interesting design.

Toxi

Banned
I guess it's nice to have the option to have some tokens, but I think I'll go with "target opponent loses 4 life with each artifact lost".
But you'll need artifacts for that. There are also often situations where you'll need the tokens for other things and having them lose 1 life for each artifact is satisfactory.

It's a card where where which mode you choose is very dependent on the current board state and what you have in your hand.

I like the fact it's also potentially more interactive than normal card draw. The other player can try to pressure you into spending energy to keep you below the sacrifice threshold, even if they don't have an immediate way of interacting with the enchantment itself.

Crocodile

Well, I was able to draft a legit WU spirits deck from it once but yeah, I didn't have a ton of luck drafting tribes outside of that except for one half-assed elves attempt.

I've submitted my Cube but I did get a chance to read this and I appreciate the feedback. I did improve the fixing some more before I sent it off so hopefully that helps to some degree. My aim/hope wasn't so much to encourage railroad drafting (pick a lord then pick all creatures of that type) but rather have decks exploit tribal synergies to good effect to run aggro, mid-range and control strategies. You should be able to draft mono-goblins but you don't need to for success and Goblins and Vampires, which share colors, play well with each other. The name of the game is tribal but I wanted enough options and flexibility for not all decks of the same colors to be the same tribes and vice-versa and that you can draft more normal decks once in a while. I had limited time to test and in trying to make sure all color combos did something, I know I did a better job with some than others. Hopefully things work out well in the end.

Marionette Master 4BB
Fabricate 3
1/3

I like this card a lot from a mechanical standpoint.

This + Panharmonicon, and some artifact generators/sac outlets sounds like fun. Probably far too slow and situational to work in standard...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Dissolve is that adding Scry onto counterspells is much stronger than it sounds because it lets Control decks cheat on land count and negate the drawback of the deck by drawing into more counters.

It wouldn't be particularly powerful right now due to the fact that blue doesn't have functional card draw, but it was extremely good in RTR/THS standard.

AgVSTeR.png

Marionette Master 4BB
Fabricate 3
1/3

This seems ripe for abuse with clue tokens.

EDIT: Those never hit the graveyard, do they. Oops.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Why do these counter spells continues to be over costed?

Because people who play with counterspells are the worst people on earth and should be thrown into a hole to play an endless game of "who has the most annoying and unfun blue control deck on earth" until they all starve.

ElyrionX

Forgot to add, even Unsubstantiate was a mechanically interesting spell. I think they are experimenting to see if they can take control in a different direction from the traditional hard counter spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom