• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Magic players are one of the most relentlessly negative fandoms on the Earth. This thread is actually pretty chill compared to most places people talk about MTG online and even so every new set is bad and boring and low-power, has a poor draft format, will ruin Standard, etc. etc.

I do think the complaints about energy are unusually off-base. If you play with a mechanic like this just by having exactly one thing you always do and never thinking about it, you are almost by definition playing suboptimally. You pretty much have to engage it either full-throatedly Johnny (by building crazy decks around it) or Spike (by carefully arbitraging the most value possible out of the theoretically-equal energy expenditures) to get the benefit of the mechanic.
You can't deny the writing isn't awful doe

Maybe it'll have a proper payoff in Aether Revolt but I'm not holding my breath.

Supast4r

Oh I see we are at that part of the thread cycle where we call rare back-drafting the work of scammers/SATAN :p

I think the only bad thing I have to say about this set so far (I haven't played enough of the limited format to have a real opinion) is that all the value seems to be concentrated in very few cards which makes trading a pain in the ass. I'll probably pick up the few cheap cards I want as singles and then wait to get a Chandra in like a year :/
Chandra's price is plummeting because she is no where near as good as people think she is. She'll be like 30ish for a month before settling st 20ish like Gideon ally did.

You remember how everyone shits on Kamigama for having parasitic cards? Think again if you really want that.
No, I was 11.
Magic players are one of the most relentlessly negative fandoms on the Earth. This thread is actually pretty chill compared to most places people talk about MTG online and even so every new set is bad and boring and low-power, has a poor draft format, will ruin Standard, etc. etc.

I do think the complaints about energy are unusually off-base. If you play with a mechanic like this just by having exactly one thing you always do and never thinking about it, you are almost by definition playing suboptimally. You pretty much have to engage it either full-throatedly Johnny (by building crazy decks around it) or Spike (by carefully arbitraging the most value possible out of the theoretically-equal energy expenditures) to get the benefit of the mechanic.
I've repeatedly voiced my love for OGW in Draft and you're gonna have a hard time finding anyone in this thread shitting on KTK.
So no it's not because people are inherently negative, I just genuinely dislike some aspects, vehicles, and am unimpressed with the rest.

bigkrev

Drafted last night a RG enery-aggro deck that ended up splashing U and B off triple Servant of the Conduit. Voltaic Brawler is one of the more realistic uncommons they have printed in the last year or so. Store does free drafts for everyone who plays in a pre-release, so they are only 1 round long, and sadly I played someone who had never drafted before, as he explained that he thought the 13 lands he was playing in his deck with 6 drops was enough, and in game 2 put Dubious Challenge on the stack.

Drafted last night a RG enery-aggro deck that ended up splashing U and B off triple Servant of the Conduit. Voltaic Brawler is one of the more realistic uncommons they have printed in the last year or so. Store does free drafts for everyone who plays in a pre-release, so they are only 1 round long, and sadly I played someone who had never drafted before, as he explained that he thought the 13 lands he was playing in his deck with 6 drops was enough, and in game 2 put Dubious Challenge on the stack.

Perhaps he misunderstood what Dubious Challenge did. What happened when he cast it?

red13th

I actually like vehicles, I think they are pretty fun, but I don't like the rest of Kaladesh artifacts, and that might be why I'm a bit meh on Kaladesh.
Gearhulks are also a major disappointment, I had high hopes for the red one and it's terrible.

Violet_0

Banned
decided to play in another sealed tourney, got a Chandra, the black Gearhulk and the UG fastland in my reward boosters, feeling decently content

not sure what to do with Chandra now. If it's an evergreen card that keeps the value, I'd like to put it in my newly started collection. Selling cards seems kinda difficult in Europe

Santiako

First big new standard tournament on twitch.com/scglive right now.

Selling cards seems kinda difficult in Europe

Open an account in magiccardmarket. Is really easy to sell almost anything. I bought a full modern deck mostly out of selling unused rares/mythics and old cards.

Violet_0

Banned
Open an account in magiccardmarket. Is really easy to sell almost anything. I bought a full modern deck mostly out of selling unused rares/mythics and old cards.
thanks, guess I'll open an account there. Though I will probably not sell anything at the moment unless it's a masterpiece or the block is rotating out

as a side note, could it be that cards have noticeably higher value in the US?

Santiako

Already got my 4 cheap lootcopters, nice.

thanks, guess I'll open an account there. Though I will probably not sell anything at the moment unless it's a masterpiece or the block is rotating out

as a side note, could it be that cards have noticeably higher value in the US?

Yes, on the most part you can get singles much cheaper in europe.

JulianImp

Oh I see we are at that part of the thread cycle where we call rare back-drafting the work of scammers/SATAN :p

I haven't played in quite a while now, but I agree that redrafting is bad for newer players, since that format tends to make it so that the best players always get the best and most expensive cards. Of course little Timmy can always open up a Tarmogoyf and end up trading it to Spike for a Skyshroud Behemoth, a Professor Oak and a Kuriboh due to not knowing any better, but that way he at least gets the cards in his hands (and his trade partners might actually be nice enough to not rip him off), compared to him always losing any cool foils or mythics he gets due to not placing high enough in the final standings.

I'd be fine with running that kind of draft if the whole group is playing competitively, but roping newbies into rare redrafting will end up with their still underdeveloped limited deckbuilding skills resulting in them always getting the leftovers, which will only be "good" if the pod happens to open an absurd number of expensive cards so that at least one of them makes its way to Timmy's hands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Caleb won because his opponent had a ponderous draw.

This deck is jank.

You can't deny the writing isn't awful doe

That has literally been true for every one of the twenty-two years though. Like even the periods where the setting material is good (Mirage, Ravnica, whatever) the actual storytelling stuff is pretty weak.

So no it's not because people are inherently negative, I just genuinely dislike some aspects, vehicles, and am unimpressed with the rest.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make anyone happy, and I did mention that it's not as bad here as most places, but it still skews pretty negative overall.

I haven't played in quite a while now, but I agree that redrafting is bad for newer players, since that format tends to make it so that the best players always get the best and most expensive cards.

Yeah, I mean, there's no problem if people want to split the cost to buy a box and then distribute the contents based on how the draft went; the problem is having an actual store (which has a certain responsibility to not help their experienced buddies rip off noobs) run an event that way.

EDIT: And of course the DCI agrees with me on this, you aren't allowed to hold a sanctioned event with mandatory redrafting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Losing to a three-mana sorcery isn't a good look. It isn't like Caleb had any wins to begin with. He just had two byes.

Angry Grimace

It's the kind of deck that people play while they wait for the Pro Tour to define the meta.

The Pro Tour frequently doesn't though. The SOI PT was just Bant Company vs. Anti-Bant Company, and many of those anti-BC decks didn't stick, e.g. the GB Rites deck that LSV was piloting.

Fragmentize is going to be so strong. Heck this might be a sideboard haymaker.
appetite%20for%20the%20unnatural.jpg

Wulfric

A friend of mine has been playing Magic a long time, and only uses his duals in EDH. I'm trading for his extras. Can I get a quick opinion?

My pile:
4x Noble Hierach (MM2015)
4x Voice of Resurgence
3x Dark Confidant (MM2015)
4x Kitchen Finks (MM)

Friend's pile
2 Volcanic Island (Revised, MP/HP)
OR
1 Underground Sea (Revised, SP)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. /r/magictcg and mtgsalvation are some the biggest Magic communities out there, but they are grumpy about something or other literally all the time. Heck, they make Angry Grimace look cheerful. :p

Does anyone have any guesses for what product WotC is pushing for GP Vegas? Historically, Modern Masters releases at GP Vegas, but that's not the case next year due to the GP being in July and MM coming out in March. It's gonna be so weird for a Masters set to come out while it's still snowing out... .__.

MoxManiac

A friend of mine has been playing Magic a long time, and only uses his duals in EDH. I'm trading for his extras. Can I get a quick opinion?

I agree with this wholeheartedly. /r/magictcg and mtgsalvation are some the biggest Magic communities out there, but they are grumpy about something or other literally all the time. Heck, they make Angry Grimace look cheerful. :p

Does anyone have any guesses for what product WotC is pushing for GP Vegas? Historically, Modern Masters releases at GP Vegas, but that's not the case next year due to the GP being in July and MM coming out in March. It's gonna be so weird for a Masters set to come out while it's still snowing out... .__.

Well, the way I see it, the cards you are trading away are more replacable then the high demand reserved list cards you're getting. MP/HP though...

bigkrev

The Pro Tour frequently doesn't though. The SOI PT was just Bant Company vs. Anti-Bant Company, and many of those anti-BC decks didn't stick, e.g. the GB Rites deck that LSV was piloting.

The Opens the 2 weeks before PT Emrakul were nothing but Bant Company, G/W Tokens, bad Sultai decks, and G/R Goggles ramp decks. Emrakul was nowhere to be seen.

The PT still had a ton of Bant, but all those other decks were basically focused on getting Emrakul going. You had G/B Delirium, you had Temur Emerge, you had the G/R Ramp to Emrakul deck, ect.

This isn't what has been happening the last 2 or 3 years usually, but CoCo was the biggest boogeyman in the format since Caw Blade was banned, so it is entirely possible there might be some crazy stuff. Brad Nelson, for example, wouldn't be playing this G/W deck today if he thought it was a realistic choice for him at the upcoming pro tour.

The Opens the 2 weeks before PT Emrakul were nothing but Bant Company, G/W Tokens, bad Sultai decks, and G/R Goggles ramp decks. Emrakul was nowhere to be seen.

The PT still had a ton of Bant, but all those other decks were basically focused on getting Emrakul going. You had G/B Delirium, you had Temur Emerge, you had the G/R Ramp to Emrakul deck, ect.

This isn't what has been happening the last 2 or 3 years usually, but CoCo was the biggest boogeyman in the format since Caw Blade was banned, so it is entirely possible there might be some crazy stuff. Brad Nelson, for example, wouldn't be playing this G/W deck today if he thought it was a realistic choice for him at the upcoming pro tour.
PT meta is always its own and we did see a couple GB Emrakul decks at the opens before. The temurge decks were new.
Afterwards Bant dominated again when theyou weren't the only deck being hated on.
Just came back in. When I saw the name U/B Colossus, I was expecting a zombie deck with Diregraf Colossus, but it's actually an artifact deck with Metalwork Colossus. Odd that it seems to actually have more vehicles than the vehicles deck, from what little I saw.
Deck completely folds to declaration in stone and other exile effects.

Firemind

That has literally been true for every one of the twenty-two years though. Like even the periods where the setting material is good (Mirage, Ravnica, whatever) the actual storytelling stuff is pretty weak.
But the setting isn't even that well-developed! It's simply a science fair mixed with the Colosseum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom