• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone doubted the power of Verdurous Gearhulk. At its worst, it's an 8/8 Trample for 5 mana, which is already absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah really.

I want to cast Eldritch Evolution onto Kitchen Finks and grab Verdurous Gearhulk.

eldritchevolution.jpg

kitchenfinks.jpg

verdurousgearhulk.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Does anything go on in this thread other than bashing MODO? (Also, if this MDN gives a macOS version? Hooray! If not, more Cockatrice? Yay?)

Anyway, I just got back into Magic big.

Over the summer I built:
- Legacy UR Delver (slowly trading/buying into Grixis Delver.)
- Modern Grixis Delver
- Standard Sultai Emerge

Now with Kaladesh, I'm looking at UB Zombies and UR Saheeli/Chandra shenanigans because I cannot get a Sultai Emerge build where the mana doesn't make me go bonkers.

Anyway, I brushed through the OP so if I missed it, pardon me but I'm looking for people to do competitive play testing with. Discord channels, etc.

I'm in Japan so timezones suck, but randoms on Cockatrice have been driving me bonkers. (Also, if anyone plays in the Osaka area, let me know! I'm in Nara, and my options are limited, but still trying to get play groups going.)

Meanwhile 4CMC counterspells which no one ever plays continue to get printed.

As someone who started with Ice Age and played Mono-Blue throughout Combo Winter (Morphling and Magpie, hey!) I cannot believe the state blue is at. "Here you go, have a shittier Mana Leak!" And the crowd goes wild.

Ashodin

RK I'm up pretty late most nights, so if you need a testing buddy I can help. I can always use more testing of my RW standard deck

Not really. Wizards is not doing a good job internationally at least not in europe. This is entirely anecdotally since I wouldn't have a clue where to look up stats but most cities from medium to humongous have only a few LGS (mine has 2 1 tiny and 1 rather small), there's no major online sellers.

This is mostly a structural problem though. Like, I guess theoretically there's a world where WotC could be one actor contributing to that changing, but as is they can't really grow much there without a major change in how they do business.

There is nothing in there that suggests they are sunsetting MTGO or deleting collections.

I mean, the Hasbro statement says that MDN is intended to be a "a seamless digital experience that meets all the players needs" and that they'll keep developing MTGO "in the meantime." I don't know how much clearer you think they can be.

The problem is that the "collections deleted" point is a completely random side point that has no basis in anything. Again, what do they possibly have to gain by deleting collections?

It's not that the goal is gonna be deleting collections; it's that the goal is going to be launching a brand new platform that isn't weighed down by the (again, extraordinarily bad) economic model of the current MTGO, and as such might not really be able to support a direct one-to-one conversion of cards.

It isn't that they didn't take Hearthstone seriously, its that they literally are not a real competitor to Hearthstone.

This isn't true in any real sense. Hearthstone's success takes dollars away from a similar pool of potential customers, it converts brand ambassadors for WotC to repping Blizzard, it leaves less room for getting promotional attention by broadcasting play, and even just generally hurts their reputation by virtue of being a smaller product than a super-recent upstart.

This is an interesting problem. Why does Europe not have a game store culture the way the US has?

Event-space game stores are a dumbass idea cooked up to deal with a car society where everyone lives pointlessly far away from everything. In Europe game stores actually sell games and then they go play at the pub.

Does anything go on in this thread other than bashing MODO? (Also, if this MDN gives a macOS version? Hooray! If not, more Cockatrice? Yay?)
Nah, it's just that today, they announced this travesty, which led to the theory that they're intentionally trying to drive people away from Magic Online, which then led to this discussion about the Magic Digital Next project that should come out in a few years.

Anyway, I just got back into Magic big.

Over the summer I built:
- Legacy UR Delver (slowly trading/buying into Grixis Delver.)
- Modern Grixis Delver
- Standard Sultai Emerge

Now with Kaladesh, I'm looking at UB Zombies and UR Saheeli/Chandra shenanigans because I cannot get a Sultai Emerge build where the mana doesn't make me go bonkers.

Anyway, I brushed through the OP so if I missed it, pardon me but I'm looking for people to do competitive play testing with. Discord channels, etc.

I'm in Japan so timezones suck, but randoms on Cockatrice have been driving me bonkers. (Also, if anyone plays in the Osaka area, let me know! I'm in Nara, and my options are limited, but still trying to get play groups going.)
A lot of guys here play on Cockatrice, but I'm not sure if the time zones will work out.

As someone who started with Ice Age and played Mono-Blue throughout Combo Winter (Morphling and Magpie, hey!) I cannot believe the state blue is at. "Here you go, have a shittier Mana Leak!" And the crowd goes wild.
I think the general weakening of counters has gone a long way in making it so that blue isn't the strongest color ever but still competitive, at least in the context of recent sets.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I opened a pack of Conspiracy 2. Dat foil Recruiter.

The loot chests sound shitty but it depends how often you just get fun money instead of bulk rares.

Also holy fuck Rishadan Port is 250 fucking tickets on MTGO.

El Topo

Paper magic is bigger than it's ever been, according to WOTC/MaRo. BFZ brought in a fuckton of new people with the Expeditions (that lottery aspect), and sales have been up and up for a long time.

I'm more wondering about how well the brick-and-mortar stores are doing, not whether the sales for new sets are up.

This is mostly a structural problem though. Like, I guess theoretically there's a world where WotC could be one actor contributing to that changing, but as is they can't really grow much there without a major change in how they do business.

That's true, but that is where a proper digital client (not just aimed at the US) would help tremendously. Of course that is easy to say, given that they are in a very complicated situation and there is no easy way out, if there is even one. Ashodin brought up Twitch rankings earlier: If you do that right now, Magic is much, much lower on the totem pole.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I can't believe they would leave out older sets from a MTGO successor. If anything it seems like the perfect time to add in the sets that they've missed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm more wondering about how well the brick-and-mortar stores are doing, not whether the sales for new sets are up.

Totally anecdotal but I went to the Kaladesh prerelease at a store a friend of mine opened earlier this spring and he says business is booming, and this is in a medium sized midwestern city. As in "we planned to go into the black in 18 months and with our sales we're going to be making money after 9"

MoxManiac

I opened a Kaladesh fat pack and got 0 mythics.

So between the pre-release and this that is 23 packs opened with 0 mythics opened.

I hate this piece of shit set.

red13th

Yes, so annoying. Recently all I've been excited about are creatures and planeswalkers. I miss huge developmental mistakes like Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time. Please make more non-creature non-PW mistakes WotC.

El Topo

Totally anecdotal but I went to the Kaladesh prerelease at a store a friend of mine opened earlier this spring and he says business is booming, and this is in a medium sized midwestern city. As in "we planned to go into the black in 18 months and with our sales we're going to be making money after 9"

That's really interesting. I should probably ask the guys in my city, maybe I'd get an answer.

I opened a Kaladesh fat pack and got 0 mythics.

So between the pre-release and this that is 23 packs opened with 0 mythics opened.

I hate this piece of shit set.

I don't know about bundles, but for 9 packs the average was just below 1 mythic per fat pack right?

I almost bought a bundle for the hell of it, before remembering that each pack only has one card that's likely to be worth anything, and most of those I would open would be in the low dollar range at best.

cant decide if I should go to a store thats closer to draft tonight that does play for picks or a store 30 min away that does keep what you draft...

This so much , rare redraft is such a dumb idea. I dont see how newer players are ok with it.

I imagine it's pressure. When I went to that Eldritch Moon draft it was suggested. Fortunately, my friend and I weren't having any of it.
And then she opened Tamiyo and Gisela and I opened Liliana.

ultron87

Rare Redraft is especially bad in a set with Masterpieces. Huge dollar value cards encourage such shenanigans that can't possibly be protected against with that system. Unless you're showing everyone the contents of every pack as it is opened.

OnPoint

Isn't the foiling quality terrible? Kind of weird to have ultra premium stuff that's lower quality.

To be fair, the two I have were immediately put into hard plastics. Do they have a reputation for falling apart of being damaged easily or something? I mean, some people would argue foils are terrible no matter what.

Xis

Are anyone else's Kaladesh cards really yellow? It's most noticeable on the white cards, but any Kaladesh card I compare to a same-color SOI card is noticeably yellower. I've only seen prerelease cards so far, so I don't know if this was an issue with the first batch, or a side effect of the new card stock.

Edit: also seems to be consistent across all rarities, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of just one print sheet getting messed up.

red13th

To be fair, the two I have were immediately put into hard plastics. Do they have a reputation for falling apart of being damaged easily or something? I mean, some people would argue foils are terrible no matter what.

I absolutely hate foils, they curl and curl the non-foil cards in the pile it's disgusting. I let some of the cards I opened from EMA boosters all together in a box, foils included, and now they are all curled. Mostly worthless stuff but still, so annoying. I hate foils!

OnPoint

I absolutely hate foils, they curl and curl the non-foil cards in the pile it's disgusting. I let some of the cards I opened from EMA boosters all together in a box, foils included, and now they are all curled. Mostly worthless stuff but still, so annoying. I hate foils!

1. I would be interested in taking foils off your hands.

2. I get the slim fit plastics and double sleeve them. It helps a LOT.

red13th

1. I would be interested in taking foils off your hands.

2. I get the slim fit plastics and double sleeve them. It helps a LOT.

I double sleeved my very few valuable ones but now I keep the junk ones very much away from any other cards. They're like a disease.

Ashodin

Are anyone else's Kaladesh cards really yellow? It's most noticeable on the white cards, but any Kaladesh card I compare to a same-color SOI card is noticeably yellower. I've only seen prerelease cards so far, so I don't know if this was an issue with the first batch, or a side effect of the new card stock.

Edit: also seems to be consistent across all rarities, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of just one print sheet getting messed up.

Yeah I just noticed this too. What the fuck is going on WOTC? First Masterpieces have fucked up foiling, now yellowing?

Yeef

This is an interesting problem. Why does Europe not have a game store culture the way the US has?
Foils are fine if you keep them in a binder, sleeve or top-loader, as far as curling goes. If you're going to keep them in a box, just put some silica packets in there and it keeps them from curling just fine. That's what I do.

That said, I don't likely foils anyway.

Ashodin

Prices should be dropping right now because of people opening packs, so I'd wait until after the set has been released for a while

Daedardus

Have to say I would buy more Masterpieces if they weren't foil, or if the foil didn't warp as easily. Sadly, two different materials with different expansion coefficients under lots of influences are hard to keep straight.

sibarraz

Banned
Is magic duels "ok" now? I saw an steam update with the new expansion and since I got hired for a job today I would like to play some digital magic to see if I could jump to paper

Xis

Is magic duels "ok" now? I saw an steam update with the new expansion and since I got hired for a job today I would like to play some digital magic to see if I could jump to paper

I think it's been "OK" for quite some time. It has some rough edges but it mostly works.

ultron87

Yeah, it's fine. I play it a lot as a nice way to get a Magic fix in when I can't get to a store or find friends.

ultron87

Cool, where could I find some decklists? and this game has diferences on the ruleset compared to the paper?

I got linked to this place from the Duels Reddit and it looks fairly active: http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=61

Only problem for starting out would be that you'd need a lot of effort or money to unlock rares across the six sets available.

The rules are generally the same, but it might handle a few edge cases incorrectly. The deckbuilding is different because you can only use 1 of each mythic, 2 of a rare, 3 of each uncommon and 4 of commons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom