• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that Overwatch was born from the leftovers of Project Titan?

Indeed, they took some of the ideas of Project Titan (the world setting, and the art style, most likely) and built out characters that encompassed what they kind of wanted to do with the game in general.

I'd actually like to have seen what Titan was before they started converting it to Overwatch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Indeed, they took some of the ideas of Project Titan (the world setting, and the art style, most likely) and built out characters that encompassed what they kind of wanted to do with the game in general.

I'd actually like to have seen what Titan was before they started converting it to Overwatch.

It was a first person space MMO with three factions where you could hang around in cities and do professions and such, which switched into first person mode for Team Fortress-esque missions. The stuff behind the game has been described before.

The stuff about streaming revenue is also mostly just made up. There's no evidence to support that Magic Next is designed with that in mind; it's just people knowing what's best for WOTC and therefore ascribing those philosophies as actual-existing things without basis.

The only thing we know about it is that its some kind of digital platform which is in development. But this isn't surprising because there's no way MTGO v.5 *wouldn't* be in development anyways.

I feel like every single argument from fans saying they know what's best for WOTC and Hasbro starts with "...but Hearthstone." Argumentum ad Hearthstone just doesn't work - MTG isn't Hearthstone. Trying to convert a version of MTG that is on parity with the paper game while utilizing a Hearthstone model doesn't make a lick of sense. It's like trying look left and right at the same time.
Because like it or not MTG isn't the industry standard anymore. So "but hearthstone" is exactly what it means, blizzard is making bank with it and it's highly likely someone at Hasbro wants a share of that pie that's much larger than Duels.

I'm back to playing a ton of hearthstone since MODO is just too expensive in addition to paper and Duels is shit.

Ashodin

so what should we take from this?

should i sell my mtgo collection to the highest bidder?

I'd likely believe your collection would be phased out into "Wollpert$" instead.

The stuff about streaming revenue is also mostly just made up. There's no evidence to support that Magic Next is designed with that in mind; it's just people knowing what's best for WOTC and therefore ascribing those philosophies as actual-existing things without basis.

Of course; it's the basis for what we would assume how the next client or platform would want to succeed, considering there's precedent there already. Just because it's Hearthstone and not some other game (Duelyst, for example, or Hex) is because the game commands a staggering online presence and fanbase. It has big name streamers (some from Magic, even!) attached that generate interest and YouTube channels that highlight its crazy fun and scenarios you can find in it.

It's got all what a digital product needs to succeed and be relevant: People who care about the product to make high profile content, and enough gameplay that is interesting to watch.

They've distilled the essence of a card game into pure fun -- the kind that is enjoyable to watch (and make you want to be a part of) and the kind that is fun itself when you're playing it. Granted, it's not like the game is perfect or anything (as evidenced by including standard format and balancing issues), but the base part of the game is what gets people attracted to it, and Magic's problem is that there's not some underlying base "attractiveness" to the game.

A lot of the stuff people described on why they enjoyed playing Magic on the previous pages are either simple base desires "I like gambling" or VERY detailed descriptions of what they enjoy about the game.

A lot of Hearthstone players would just respond "It's fun".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because like it or not MTG isn't the industry standard anymore. So "but hearthstone" is exactly what it means, blizzard is making bank with it and it's highly likely someone at Hasbro wants a share of that pie that's much larger than Duels.

I'm back to playing a ton of hearthstone since MODO is just too expensive in addition to paper and Duels is shit.

Apple is making bank with phones, that doesn't mean WOTC is working on a Magic Phone.

The similarities between Hearthstone and MTG are frequently only superficial.

Santiako

Apple is making bank with phones, that doesn't mean WOTC is working on a Magic Phone.

The similarities between Hearthstone and MTG are frequently only superficial.

Yeah, but hasbro is a publicly traded company so the shareholders see a digital card game that's making serious bank and they want in, even if all they have in common is that they are card games.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, but hasbro is a publicly traded company so the shareholders see a digital card game that's making serious bank and they want in, even if all they have in common is that they are card games.

I don't understand why you guys just keep repeating "publicly traded company" as though it has some kind of meaning. I mean, I went through this in the WoW thread for YEARS with people insisting Ghostcrawler was going to be fired because sub numbers declined after Wrath of the Lich King because the "shareholders are going to get mad." The shareholders in a company don't do anything. The board of directors does, and there's no reason to believe that the Board of Directors is staffed by incompetents who can't understand the difference between Magic: the Gathering and League of Legends.

Ashodin

I don't give a shit whether it's a "publicly traded company" or not, the idea is that money and visibility is flowing one way and not Hasbro's way. They want to fix it, so they need to look at market leaders to figure out what is being done right.

Angry Grimace

Because you're being intentionally obtuse.
You mean, not agreeing with your argument.

Your argument is completely speculative and makes almost no sense from a logical standpoint beyond "well WOTC wants money." There's practically no evidence whatsoever that MTG is specifically targeting streaming and/or the general Hearthstone market (i.e. other than the few things they have in common), much less the ultimate conclusion that this will lead to MTGO and everyone's collections being deleted. It's just wild mass guessing.

Angry Grimace

No I mean equalizing WotC following Blizzard to WotC following Apple's leaf.
The dichotomy was intentional. It's because even in this thread, people don't seem to understand that Hearthstone and Magic aren't 1:1 direct competitors because the difference in their business models is huge. Magic isn't to Hearthstone what Android is to iOS.

The problem is that getting from the speculative statement that the digital initiative is, in fact, a direct Hearthstone competitor that will also include the deletion of all collections simply has no basis in evidence or even logic without jumping to several conclusions, most of which seemingly revolve around the Board of Directors of Hasbro being clueless dolts who have direct, forceful control over its subsidiaries and WOTC having practically no understanding how they got from Richard Garfield's kitchen to where they are today.

El Topo

You can't see it, but Hearthstone has 57k viewers whilst Magic has about 5k. And this is just me on a vertical monitor setup, you can't even see it on a regular monitor.

That seems actually a lot better than usual. If you think that is bad, check the viewer numbers when the US is asleep.

Wizards has somehow navigated many years with MTGO and it still remains the premier way to play a proper game of digital Magic.

However, I would not be totally shocked if they were willing to roll the dice in a few years and leave a portion of enfranchised players behind for a completely new MDN with no transferable elements from other games.

That being said, the road is littered with the corpses of games and game teams that chased the Blizzard dream. Everquest 2 tried, Asheron's Call 2 tried, pick a dead, dying or otherwise "disappointing" MMO (sales or expected sales). Of course, WoW is in a complicated spot, but for a while, a majority of the industry was chasing that game around.

I agree with Grimace to that to compare MTG and Hearthstone is a bit silly, but mainly in that it is foolish to look at ANY success that Bizzard has and attempt to emulate it. Even if you were the top dog before, it's a dangerous game to play. Wizards is lucky to have the physical game cornered.

AKA: Fuck if I know, but WotC needs to be careful.

Ashodin

I'm not at all. Your argument is completely speculative and makes almost no sense from a logical standpoint beyond "well WOTC wants money." There's practically no evidence whatsoever that MTG is specifically targeting streaming and/or the general Hearthstone market (i.e. other than the few things they have in common), much less the ultimate conclusion that this will lead to MTGO and everyone's collections being deleted. It's just wild mass guessing.

The problem is that getting from the speculative statement that the digital initiative is, in fact, a direct Hearthstone competitor that will also include the deletion of all collections simply has no basis in evidence or even logic unless you jump to conclusions repeatedly.

The other side to your argument is that WOTC will do something entirely different or stay the course in what is otherwise an abysmal online presence (where you can reach millions more than paper magic).

The driving force of any company is growth. How can we get better, bigger than before? How can we encourage new sales, new interest?

There's already a lot of dissatifaction with MTGO and Magic as a whole online. People want to get invested, but as you can see already from streams of the paper game, it's not enough and/or interesting to watch without a digital interface to explain what's going on.

Speaking in relation to the "Deletion" of MTGO's collections, I'd hazard a guess that bleeding out users is the best and most relaxed way of making the transition easier; if it was a mass deletion and such it would be much more outrageous and warranting public apologies, etc. As it stands right now, the MTGO userbase is most likely made of up just hardcore MTG players (as the graph states) and isn't the "fun" side of the game that they would like to portray.

Alongside Familien, you're being obtuse because OF COURSE there's no extra data to go on besides speculation (and trends in the space); WOTC and Hasbro are keeping this shit close to the vest as they always have done for the longest time. They love their secrets.

Wizards has somehow navigated many years with MTGO and it still remains the premier way to play a proper game of digital game of Magic.

It's only this way because it's the only program that can automate functions of the game without needing much interaction besides pressing the OK button. If there were a better version that superceded MTGO's actions most people would play that (even if it were a free game).

The best nearest client IMO is Cockatrice which allows you to just set the phases and requires both players to remember rules.

The dichotomy was intentional. It's because even in this thread, people don't seem to understand that Hearthstone and Magic aren't 1:1 direct competitors because the difference in their business models is huge.

The problem is that getting from the speculative statement that the digital initiative is, in fact, a direct Hearthstone competitor that will also include the deletion of all collections simply has no basis in evidence or even logic without jumping to several conclusions.
I never argued anything about online collections except that if they converted it for whatever it is they are making that there can't be trading.
MODO is already a direct HS competitor, it's just not worth a mention in its current state and the business model behind it. Paper magic is intentionally not made a 1:1 MTGO competitor.

Angry Grimace

The biggest logistical hurdle is that there's no real benefit of alienating existing players to chase a hypothetically larger market when there's no guarantee that market exists.

It reminds of the "WoW is going F2P" stuff from a few years ago. It's just speculation.

Ashodin

Is the games/comic store market doing well? I was under the impression things generally look kinda dire.

Paper magic is bigger than it's ever been, according to WOTC/MaRo. BFZ brought in a fuckton of new people with the Expeditions (that lottery aspect), and sales have been up and up for a long time.

The biggest logistical hurdle is that there's no real benefit of alienating existing players to chase a hypothetically larger market when there's no guarantee that market exists.

It reminds of the "WoW is going F2P" stuff from a few years ago. It's just speculation.
They've slowly been going that direction and in China already are.
You can play the game till lvl 20 for free the expansions are given away for free a year later, you can buy game time with gold, you can buy lvl boosts. Maybe some other stuff I don't remember.
Paper magic is bigger than it's ever been, according to WOTC/MaRo. BFZ brought in a fuckton of new people with the Expeditions (that lottery aspect), and sales have been up and up for a long time.
Not sure where Seth better known as Saffron olive got his data from but he said that the fall set of the year will always be the next selling set ever but that the growth rates have sunk drastically to just a few %.

Ashodin

Different companies have different approaches; I bet when the concept of F2P WoW came up, they probably just said "nah, we can make OTHER games be F2P but still keep WoW this way because it's a staple thing about the game."

It's now an outlier when it was a mainstream choice for MMOs, so they're holding on purely out of monetary/public appeal to the game. If they went F2P it would signal a significant problem to the userbase of the game that they'd need to address. They've taken measures to address this already by merging realms and cross-realm zones that allow more people to see each other and perceive the game is populated.

Speaking about theoretical markets, I'd gather that the data is already there stating how many and how much there is to be made out there; MTGO is already very expensive for the casual user (one time purchase for the account, then EVERYTHING outside of shadow drafts needs a purchase), and I'd imagine they want to rectify that. Going a more F2P approach with optional purchases seems the best route to effectively make money on those willing to spend, but retain casual interest.

Not sure where Seth better known as Saffron olive got his data from but he said that the fall set of the year will always be the next selling set ever but that the growth rates have sunk drastically to just a few %.

You mean Seth, better known as the worst fucking meme ever?

I seriously hate that shit. Tryhard Brian "Brian Kibler" Kibler of Brian Kibler Gaming meme. Every time I see it it infuriates me

About the growth rate, that just means there's a smaller subset of players entering the game with lots of disposable cash.

New and recent millenials who have the money to dispense on Magic now they're out of college or what-have-you.

Angry Grimace

The other side to your argument is that WOTC will do something entirely different or stay the course in what is otherwise an abysmal online presence (where you can reach millions more than paper magic).

The driving force of any company is growth. How can we get better, bigger than before? How can we encourage new sales, new interest?

There's already a lot of dissatifaction with MTGO and Magic as a whole online. People want to get invested, but as you can see already from streams of the paper game, it's not enough and/or interesting to watch without a digital interface to explain what's going on.

Speaking in relation to the "Deletion" of MTGO's collections, I'd hazard a guess that bleeding out users is the best and most relaxed way of making the transition easier; if it was a mass deletion and such it would be much more outrageous and warranting public apologies, etc. As it stands right now, the MTGO userbase is most likely made of up just hardcore MTG players (as the graph states) and isn't the "fun" side of the game that they would like to portray.

Alongside Familien, you're being obtuse because OF COURSE there's no extra data to go on besides speculation (and trends in the space); WOTC and Hasbro are keeping this shit close to the vest as they always have done for the longest time. They love their secrets.

It's only this way because it's the only program that can automate functions of the game without needing much interaction besides pressing the OK button. If there were a better version that superceded MTGO's actions most people would play that (even if it were a free game).

The best nearest client IMO is Cockatrice which allows you to just set the phases and requires both players to remember rules.

This is just assumption-assumption-conclusion backed by the vague principle (however true) that WOTC likes money. I have no idea how you figure making everyone buy all their cards over again would somehow translate to an increased userbase for WOTC, or that the Hearthstone playerbase could or would translate to MTGO. The problem isn't HOW WOTC manages that transition, its why would they? The existence of a dramatically larger playerbase that spends more money than the average entrenched MTGO player (which, as kirblar used to note was relatively speaking a LOT) is pure speculation. Hearthstone was literally designed from the ground-up to capture that audience. That is not to say there aren't aspects of Hearthstone that can be applied to Magic. There are. But the basic concept of that game is incompatible with Magic.

This is the kind of gamble that could literally put WOTC out of business; that kind of move would be orders of magnitude more egregious than a consumer-unfriendly move like removing the headphone jack from a phone. Seriously: why would WOTC maintain the Reserved List, but then also delete all of the players cards? There's just no logic involved in deleting everyone's stuff and the basic online terminal to play the game in a similar form to paper with a substantially similar system.

They've slowly been going that direction and in China already are.
You can play the game till lvl 20 for free the expansions are given away for free a year later, you can buy game time with gold, you can buy lvl boosts. Maybe some other stuff I don't remember.

One of the big things WoW is still able to do is sell millions of copies of the game expansions at full-price. There are always aspects of competition that translate; you see a lot of that in Duels. But Duels doesn't aim for the market of established MTG players that spend a lot on the game.

Ashodin

This is just assumption-assumption-conclusion backed by the vague principle (however true) that WOTC likes money. I have no idea how you figure making everyone buy all their cards over again would somehow translate to an increased userbase for WOTC, or that the Hearthstone playerbase could or would translate to MTGO. The existence of a dramatically larger playerbase that spends more money than the average entrenched MTGO player (which, as kirblar used to note was relatively speaking a LOT) is pure speculation. Hearthstone was literally designed from the ground-up to capture that audience. That is not to say there aren't aspects of Hearthstone that can be applied to Magic. There are. But the basic concept of the game is incompatible.

You are talking about the kind of gamble that could literally put WOTC out of business. Seriously: why would WOTC maintain the Reserved List, but then also delete all of the players cards? There's just no logic involved in deleting everyone's stuff and the basic online terminal to play the game in a similar form to paper with a substantially similar system.

OK, but the principle being true doesn't invalidate the assumptions; you're telling me "gravity is a real force we experience every day, but your assumption about us being bound to the earth because of it is wrong". There's precedent and past decisions we can make decent guesses out of.

I'm not saying that WOTC will make everyone buy their cards again. What I assume will happen is WOTC will bleed off MTGO users slowly until the last remnants will be "merged" into MDN by value of their collections represented in their new money system for the game. Your collection worth $15k online? Here, have 10 million gold or whatever to purchase most* of your cards back.

It won't be a straight deletion.

Whether or not MDN can garner a Hearthstone like population is entirely based on WOTC's pedigree and brand recognition of Magic. Most everyone knows that Magic is the premier paper TCG. Having an online client that is every bit its equal or representative at least of the fun that can be had in the game is essential to perception of the brand as a whole.

I totally agree with you that Magic has a LOT of base problems in its gameplay that does not translate well or at all over to digital. It's the product of its time when digital gameplay was just a figment of Richard Garfield's imagination.

I'm not trying to harp on you specifically, I just think your reasoning makes no logical or practical sense beyond "WOTC is bad at stuff."

See I think this is part of the disconnect. I think this is a much better idea than anything they've been doing in the past and I honestly don't highly prioritize whether people's MTGO collections get nuked.

My assertion would be that people on MTGO mostly draft (where your collection doesn't matter), collect for redemption (so they've already taken most of their value out), or grinding Standard (so most of their cards stop having any value after every rotation.) They could probably get away with giving people starting currency based on a very vague algorithm for "valuing" their MODO collections and cover a big portion of the user base.

I feel like every single argument from fans saying they know what's best for WOTC and Hasbro starts with "...but Hearthstone."

I agree that arguments purely of the form "MTG should do X because Hearthstone does X" are deeply flawed -- like I certainly don't think they should switch to an all errata all the time methodology like HS has, and stuff like the Treasure Chests today that just emulate HS directly without understanding the reasons why HS does stuff one way are embarrassing.

But the reality is that WotC went from the pre-eminent brand in their market to a shitty also-ran 100% by failing to take Hearthstone seriously or to have a different compelling vision for a digital product that could compete with it. If they want to be successful digitally (which they do and should) they need to do it with something that doesn't actually look that much like MTGO in its current form.

Sure, but MTGO handles nearly every possible card interaction possible (bugs aside). That's pretty impressive. It also has a reasonable card viewer, deck organizer, and matchmaking system. User onboarding is completely abysmal (nonexistent) and getting your shit together and figuring how to start a game is an excruciating test of patience. It basically requires external tutorials.

The UI requirements for a Magic game are insane. Simply bonkers. My work on RTS games has given me some respect for the challenge of any team challenged with solving it.

Duels tries, it really does. But I feel strongly that if you have a grasp of both systems, actually playing a game of Magic is better and more rewarding on MTGO than in Duels.

You're right that if a better alternative existed, people would play it, but I think that's true in many things. But even sometimes not (interment banking, e-mail, etc.). I think power of the platform trumps colorful graphics when talking about Magic.

Ashodin

IMO, Magic should have a robust singleplayer story content. Duels is fine to follow the story, but I think there should be more of an "MMO" feel to the game that you can customize your planeswalker avatar, take tests that sort you into the Ravnica guild houses, etc, and much more than that.

Hero

I agree that arguments purely of the form "MTG should do X because Hearthstone does X" are deeply flawed -- like I certainly don't think they should switch to an all errata all the time methodology like HS has, and stuff like the Treasure Chests today that just emulate HS directly without understanding the reasons why HS does stuff one way are embarrassing.

But the reality is that WotC went from the pre-eminent brand in their market to a shitty also-ran 100% by failing to take Hearthstone seriously or to have a different compelling vision for a digital product that could compete with it. If they want to be successful digitally (which they do and should) they need to do it with something that doesn't actually look that much like MTGO in its current form.

This is it right here. Blizzard came out with a digital card game product with zero experience and started making a shit ton of money off of it. Whether or not that was Hasbro/Wizards' lunch is debatable, but at the very least it was significant enough for them to be jealous/envious. There's no reason that they can't have a better experience than MTGO for both the company's sake and the players, but until Hearthstone they had incentive to actually do so since there was hardly any competition in that space.

It says a lot that a Hall of Famer like Brian Kibler completely jumped ship to Hearthstone.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218530922]I haven't been all that excited by KLD limited to be honest. Out of half a dozen drafts or so it just hasn't been that fun. Vehicles and Fabricate don't play out as dynamically as I was hoping. It's not bad, I'm just feel bored playing it. SOI block had some cool stuff going on with deck diversity even if a lot of those things were on rails. I'm not expecting KTK, but I was hoping for something a little more free form this time around.

edit: I was watching these dudes play on cockatrice as the game was ending. One player concedes and says, "I only drew lands". I looked over at his library and he only had 13 cards left.

...[/QUOTE]

Limited I have to do drafts to get into, but I feel like for the first time since trying to make my constructed RW Equipment deck work Standard Constructed might be the most enjoyable thing ever because of how efficient and amazing the deck feels to play. I relish every single game I play now because the cards in it are fun and what I wanted out of the setup I was looking for.

I don't know why you say this. Hasbro even made a Powerpoint of what they see as Magic's brand strategy going forward that includes their plan for MDN to sunset MODO/Duels and their view of eSports and online viewership as one of the key future pillars of the brand: http://www.purplepawn.com/2015/11/magic-digital-next-in-development-by-hasbro/

I don't understand why you guys just keep repeating "publicly traded company" as though it has some kind of meaning.

It's relevant here only inasmuch as Hasbro reveals more about their medium-to-long-term strategy publicly than a privately-held company typically would because it wants its shareholders to get excited.

There's already a lot of dissatifaction with MTGO and Magic as a whole online.

Right, I don't think there's an equivalent of this for IsHearthstoneStillBad.

Yeah, because they absorbed a giant new growth market. Magic has something like 10x as many players now as it did for most of the 2000s, it's natural for that growth to taper off at this point. Plenty of people in that expanded market don't play MTGO though, since clearly that hasn't had the same type of userbase growth.

I have no idea how you figure making everyone buy all their cards over again would somehow translate to an increased userbase for WOTC, or that the Hearthstone playerbase could or would translate to MTGO.

I don't think you shouldn't assume either. Think about it this way: out of the 12 million Magic players worldwide, some small number (let's call it 1m) actually play Magic Online. If you can add another 1m users from that 12m by launching a new product, while only burning 250k of your existing userbase, that's an enormous boost to your business.

The way to do this isn't to do exactly what HS is doing (because Magic can never be as good at being Hearthstone as Hearthstone is); it's to look at more general areas in which HS is successful and find ways that Magic can improve. Like: HS gets a ton of promotion from streaming, while MTGO is ugly and hard to stream well; creating a new client with a good streaming interface could add a lot more player interest. HS is a game you can download for free and play infinite games, plus earn cards slowly over time; a core Magic product with an account shared across devices (like MTGO) that had a model of this type (like Duels) could pick up a ton of new players just by avoiding upfront expenditures. Hearthstone cards are cheap and feel like good value while MTGO cards are a far worse value than paper ones; eliminate redemption and you can suddenly change your pricing model to solve that. And so on, and so forth.

Ashodin

If you can add another 1m users from that 12m by launching a new product, while only burning 250k of your existing userbase, that's an enormous boost to your business.

Yesss you explained it exactly as I imagined it

creating a new client with a good streaming interface could add a lot more player interest.

This is a big one. The interface needs to look like it's fucking a slot machine going off with bells and whistles attracting people going "oh that looks fun!"

Like combat. Quick transitions to actual combat (using 3d models or something) or something that evokes more of a "WOW, look at that!" feel would go a long way.

Like when vehicles hit the battlefield, they "drive onto it" or "fly in from above" and land, hovering or resting as if they really were vehicles.

There's so much room for more imaginative gameplay.

This is a big one. The interface needs to look like it's fucking a slot machine going off with bells and whistles attracting people going "oh that looks fun!"

Like combat. Quick transitions to actual combat (using 3d models or something) or something that evokes more of a "WOW, look at that!" feel would go a long way.

Like when vehicles hit the battlefield, they "drive onto it" or "fly in from above" and land, hovering or resting as if they really were vehicles.

As a Yu-Gi-Oh player, that shit gets tiring quickly.

Santiako

Eeewww nooo that's all terrible.

Considering there virtually no sponsors in magic and Pros all are dependant on MTG there's a pretty antagonistic relationship between them.
The card bashing animations in Hearthstone work well enough. They're quick and clear.
It's awesome that the intensity increases with power.
Yeah, because they absorbed a giant new growth market. Magic has something like 10x as many players now as it did for most of the 2000s, it's natural for that growth to taper off at this point. Plenty of people in that expanded market don't play MTGO though, since clearly that hasn't had the same type of userbase growth.
Not really. Wizards is not doing a good job internationally at least not in europe. This is entirely anecdotally since I wouldn't have a clue where to look up stats but most cities from medium to humongous have only a few LGS (mine has 2 1 tiny and 1 rather small), there's no major online sellers. There's only magiccardmarket which is just a platform for private and business sellers, the concept of buylist is entirely foreign to me.

Angry Grimace

I don't know why you say this. Hasbro even made a Powerpoint of what they see as Magic's brand strategy going forward that includes their plan for MDN to sunset MODO/Duels and their view of eSports and online viewership as one of the key future pillars of the brand: http://www.purplepawn.com/2015/11/magic-digital-next-in-development-by-hasbro/

It's relevant here only inasmuch as Hasbro reveals more about their medium-to-long-term strategy publicly than a privately-held company typically would because it wants its shareholders to get excited.

Right, I don't think there's an equivalent of this for IsHearthstoneStillBad.

I don't think you shouldn't assume either. Think about it this way: out of the 12 million Magic players worldwide, some small number (let's call it 1m) actually play Magic Online. If you can add another 1m users from that 12m by launching a new product, while only burning 250k of your existing userbase, that's an enormous boost to your business.

The way to do this isn't to do exactly what HS is doing (because Magic can never be as good at being Hearthstone as Hearthstone is); it's to look at more general areas in which HS is successful and find ways that Magic can improve. Like: HS gets a ton of promotion from streaming, while MTGO is ugly and hard to stream well; creating a new client with a good streaming interface could add a lot more player interest. HS is a game you can download for free and play infinite games, plus earn cards slowly over time; a core Magic product with an account shared across devices (like MTGO) that had a model of this type (like Duels) could pick up a ton of new players just by avoiding upfront expenditures. Hearthstone cards are cheap and feel like good value while MTGO cards are a far worse value than paper ones; eliminate redemption and you can suddenly change your pricing model to solve that. And so on, and so forth.

There is nothing in there that suggests they are sunsetting MTGO or deleting collections. Combining MTGO with the entry level product isn't the same thing as "MTGO is over; all your collections are belong to us." The problem is that the "collections deleted" point is a completely random side point that has no basis in anything. Again, what do they possibly have to gain by deleting collections?

See I think this is part of the disconnect. I think this is a much better idea than anything they've been doing in the past and I honestly don't highly prioritize whether people's MTGO collections get nuked.

My assertion would be that people on MTGO mostly draft (where your collection doesn't matter), collect for redemption (so they've already taken most of their value out), or grinding Standard (so most of their cards stop having any value after every rotation.) They could probably get away with giving people starting currency based on a very vague algorithm for "valuing" their MODO collections and cover a big portion of the user base.
This is potentially illegal and WOTC has made it clear they are not going to assign value to specific cards in any context.

It isn't that they didn't take Hearthstone seriously, its that they literally are not a real competitor to Hearthstone. It's an online game that by its own terms seeks to emulate a real-life one.

My issue is not that some kind of Duels/MTGO hybrid project is coming, its that saying "WOTC is going to delete your collection" is a baseless, irresponsible claim. The only way that argument makes any sense is if there's some evidence that they are going to legitimately phase out having an online experience that tracks the paper game in favor of a Magic-lite experience like Duels. I don't see that.

ultron87

Hearthstone is just the easy comparison point. What Im at least getting at when I say that is that they need to take lessons from the last ten years of super successful online games instead of being tied to the decisions they made in 2002 when they didn't think people would pay money for cards that were purely and always digital. Everything won't apply to Magic, but a lot of it can. A lot of that stuff is just way harder to do if they want to keep continuity with the existing collections and economy of MTGO.

Angry Grimace

It's a simple question, really. Envision that they move to a unified product which has both the intro Duels and the high-level competitive MTGO environment. What benefit does WOTC gain by deleting everyone's collection? You literally cannot maintain Constructed Magic in a way that tracks the paper game if you can't simply purchase the cards you need for a deck.

The idea that this is going to happen is the most glaring example of the "BUT HEARTHSTONE" argument. So you can't buy cards directly in Hearthstone; what does that have to do with Magic? Could WOTC slash the prices of boosters and devalue the shit out of the MTGO economy? Sure. But that raises a million more questions, e.g. what are they gaining from deleting collections and why are they implementing a system that effectively involve competing against themselves? Everything from the prize structure to deck construction is incompatible with the Hearthstone model.

This is like the opposite of the appeal of MTGO. Sure, it could LOOK nicer in doing what it does, but in actual play, MTGO functions dramatically better than Duels does even though duels looks nicer.

Angry Grimace

I would also like to take a minute to remind everyone how right I was about how completely ridiculous Verdurous Gearhulk is.

It's Siege Rhino but better. The first Gearhulk is backbreaking and you just scoop to the second.

Yeah the thing I like about my GB Abbey deck is that it utilizes both Smuggler's Copter and Verdurous Gearhulk equally well. Very efficient 1-mana creatures and the ability to go very wide plays well with both cards. Gearhulk is an anthem when I need it, cheap sweeper resilience when I need it, makes walls when I need them or is just a massive beater.

I still think it's one of the better decks I've seen so far, to toot my own horn a bit. It attacks from a lot of different angles and has an extremely low curve with a strong top end. Plus black has some of the best sideboard cards this format.

Santiako

I don't think anyone doubted the power of Verdurous Gearhulk. At its worst, it's an 8/8 Trample for 5 mana, which is already absolutely ridiculous.

On the topic, Duxstar asked me what my top 5 impactful KLD cards for standard were and here's my list:

1. Fastland cycle + Aether Hub
  2. Smuggler's Copter
  3. Verdurous Gearhulk
  4. Cathartic Reunion
  5. Aetherworks Marvel

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not really. Wizards is not doing a good job internationally at least not in europe. This is entirely anecdotally since I wouldn't have a clue where to look up stats but most cities from medium to humongous have only a few LGS (mine has 2 1 tiny and 1 rather small), there's no major online sellers. There's only magiccardmarket which is just a platform for private and business sellers, the concept of buylist is entirely foreign to me.
This is an interesting problem. Why does Europe not have a game store culture the way the US has?

Ashodin

I... fly over Verdurous Gearhulk? My late game in my deck is all Copter + Skysovereign. Nahiri can take out any swingy Gearhulks, and I have four Declarations in the sideboard.

Still means the card is a huge beast of a thing. Five mana for an 8/8 trample wtf wotc

This is 4 mana 7/7 in hearthstone all over again

And GB I fully agree with that list. All those cards on it are just high powered as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom