• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

I think I'm going to stick with temur, Nissa's Awakening really turns the game around. I played pretty poorly against BG aggro, you really can't tap out against them once they are about to get to 5 mana.
I might splash for unlicensed disintegration though, Aether Tradewinds is the only thing I could come up with and that doesn't really work. I think the galvanic blasts aren't really necessary with the amount of harnessed lightnings and radiant flames the removal is good enough for weenies.

I don't think splashing a 4th color would be hard, so that makes sense. The few games I lost were due to RW Vehicles, so that's why I put in so many removals. The one R really comes into play, especially if lands are coming in tapped. I may be able to move some into the sb though depending on the amount of control decks that pops up in my meta.

White not only has Stony Silence and Rest in Peace, it also has Kataki, Kitchen Finks, Kor Firewalker, Leyline of Sanctity, Timely Reinforcements, Rule of Law, Runed Halo, Ghostly Prison, Blessed Alliance, Auriok Champion, Worship, and those are just off the top of my head. It being the best sideboard colour is not really debatable.

It is also the worst colour in the format, although you could make a case for blue.

Fair enough, I blanked on the later cards. There's no argument that white is the weakest in Modern though, even Blue at least has Snapcaster as an iconic creature, which sees more play then any white creature*

*Finks is white, but he's also green/gold/hybrid, but even after him we have to drop 16 to get Displacer at 22, then Fiewalker at 36 and Thalia GoT at 45 in terms of creatures in modern.

Today I did something degenerate in EDH

Turn 1
245.jpg
225.jpg
284.jpg
110.jpg
257.jpg
Turn 2 played Narset equipped and she exiles

Wulfric

The local game day seemed so lonely today; they only had 10(!) players thanks to the SCG Open being 20 minutes down the road. Anyways, I proceeded to to get slaughtered in my first legacy event after I arrived downtown. There was no parking, of course.

R1: Maverick
R2: Dredge
R3: Eldrazi

I talked with my opponents after the match, found out I wasn't using Rishadan Port correctly and could have saved Thalia with Karakas more than once. The only one I really knew how to beat was dredge (board Rest In Peace/Cage). Maverick was an awkward semi-mirror, and Eldrazi was wicked fast with Eye/Cavern.

It was a fun learning experience, but I'm not exactly ready to plop down $40 for the legacy classic tomorrow. On a positive note, I turned two fat packs worth of Theros/BFZ bulk rares into two MP FoW. :)

Saturday's Game Day was sparse, only 10 people showed up, no local events that I know of. Got 6th (7th? Didn't get the mat, does it matter?) running a RW vehicles deck with no sideboard. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a UR emerge deck at a different shop, hopefully I'll do better.

I don't think splashing a 4th color would be hard, so that makes sense. The few games I lost were due to RW Vehicles, so that's why I put in so many removals. The one R really comes into play, especially if lands are coming in tapped. I may be able to move some into the sb though depending on the amount of control decks that pops up in my meta.
I've not had too many CIPT issues personally and I only played against 1 RW aggro build and he had forgotten his sideboard.
I wonder if taking out the Metallurgic Summonings, or at least a couple, against BG aggro might be a thing considering they side in multiple appetite of the untamed and you never want to tap out on 5 anyways.

This is what I'm going to try next but I'm gonna need to get my hands on 2 Gearhulks first.
Glint-Eye Summonings said:
//Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Cinder Glade
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Forest
1 Sunken Hollow
6 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
2 Spirebluff Canal
2 Wandering Fumarole
1 Swamp
//Artifacts
3 Corrupted Grafstone

//Enchantments
4 Metallurgic Summonings

//Instants
4 Anticipate
2 Unlicensed Disintegration
1 Fall of the Titans
3 Glimmer of Genius
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Void Shatter

//Sorceries
3 Nissa's Renewal
4 Part the Waterveil
3 Radiant Flames

//Creatures
2 Torrential Gearhulk

ironmang

The local game day seemed so lonely today; they only had 10(!) players thanks to the SCG Open being 20 minutes down the road. Anyways, I proceeded to to get slaughtered in my first legacy event after I arrived downtown. There was no parking, of course.

R1: Maverick
R2: Dredge
R3: Eldrazi

I talked with my opponents after the match, found out I wasn't using Rishadan Port correctly and could have saved Thalia with Karakas more than once. The only one I really knew how to beat was dredge (board Rest In Peace/Cage). Maverick was an awkward semi-mirror, and Eldrazi was wicked fast with Eye/Cavern.

It was a fun learning experience, but I'm not exactly ready to plop down $40 for the legacy classic tomorrow. On a positive note, I turned two fat packs worth of Theros/BFZ bulk rares into two MP FoW. :)

Maverick matchup is all about your flyers. Eldrazi seems miserable with mom being so worthless. Port can be a tricky card but usually you want to upkeep them off whatever color is the worst for you. Or end of turn if you want to lock their mana for your turn.

Santiako

GP Kuala Lumpur Top 8 Decklists

6 UW Flash
2 Mardu Vehicles
0 Green Cards
0 Forests
0 Swamps

32 Thraben Inspectors
32 Smugler's Copters
31 Gideons, Ally of Zendikar

EDIT1: After the PT and this, we clearly have a best deck in the format, and it still plays Spell Quellers and Reflector Mages lololololol

EDIT2: One of the Mardu Vehicles lists takes the GP.

EDIT3: You have to go all the way to the 45th placed player for the first one to not play Copters.

ironmang

I'd love an interview with the guy who ran only 3 Gideon "I had no faith in myself, so I didn't spend the $30 to grab him from a dealer and just said fuck it"

lol been there before. Have a T4 premier iq maverick list online that didn't run Containment Priest because they were $20 at the time and I didn't feel like buying them.

Gideon has always been good, but it kind of sucks for me that I sold all of mine off. Now they make the changes to Standard and he gets played even more.

Any help or tips for this super budget standard deck I threw together?
I'm not expecting to go first place or anything but a lot of my friends want me to play Standard and I don't really want to invest anything. It's mostly to just be there socially.
I do have some rares and mythics from Draft and prize packs but nothing I think I can build a deck around. Like I have one Smugglers Copter I may as well trade off.

I was going for an artifact / Fabricate theme.

4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
3 Aerial Responder
3 Chief of the Foundry
3 Glint-Sleeve Artisan
4 Master Trinketeer
3 Visionary Augmenter
2 Angel of Invention

4 Blessed Alliance
4 Servo Exhibition

4 Stasis Snare

18 Plains
4 Inventors' Fair

Watching the Standard stream, Evan sideboarding Aetherworks Marvel into his Red-Green Energy aggro deck is neat.

But I was told this was a bad idea.

Got to the semifinals in Game Day; Game 3 on the play I go no lands, mull -> no lands, mull -> 4 lands.

At least it's just a tournament that doesn't mean too much unless you don't already have a playmat. I made top 8 of the last 4 PPTQs I entered with two 2nd place finishes and no wins. That's where the salt is at.

Any help or tips for this super budget standard deck I threw together?
I'm not expecting to go first place or anything but a lot of my friends want me to play Standard and I don't really want to invest anything. It's mostly to just be there socially.
I do have some rares and mythics from Draft and prize packs but nothing I think I can build a deck around. Like I have one Smugglers Copter I may as well trade off.

I was going for an artifact / Fabricate theme.
Honestly, you might as well plug that Smuggler's Copter in. If you don't want to do that, then your current weakness is that you're too slow to outrace other aggro decks and don't have a great way to handle a longer game. If you don't want to splash another color, the perhaps look into Master Trinketeer for an additional lord and Bygone Bishop for card flow. Lantern Scout could be good in the sideboard.

Want to go to another game day, but wife said "stay with me in bed".

Welp lol
Stealth brag post?

kirblar

You think they can sneak some good artifact hate reprints (Rec sage/smelt) into Aether Revolt first before taking that step?
History says no. Especially since they are actively making artifact removal awkward, just like there's no GY hate for Innistrad block.

bigkrev

History says no. Especially since they are actively making artifact removal awkward, just like there's no GY hate for Innistrad block.

But it's clearly a mistake in this case.
The fact that NATURALIZE isn't legal for the fist time in 14 years is insane.

Honestly, you might as well plug that Smuggler's Copter in. If you don't want to do that, then your current weakness is that you're too slow to outrace other aggro decks and don't have a great way to handle a longer game. If you don't want to splash another color, the perhaps look into Master Trinketeer for an additional lord and Bygone Bishop for card flow. Lantern Scout could be good in the sideboard.

Hey, I appreciate your input. I actually already included a play set of Master Trinketeer. :D
Yeah, it's pretty gimpy, but it did basically win me a draft. lol

I finally figured out what was missing from my Abbey deck. Finally pushed it over the edge.

5 COLOR GOLGARI BABY

kjhlkjttsyb.png

I tried Reckless Bushwacker but I dump my hand too fast generally and I don't like making one attack without the option to repeat it in this deck. Rather have counters or a repeatable effect like a walker.

I don't think so. Unlike Collected Company, it doesn't push just one kind of deck, and it's "merely" a good attacker.

Counterpoint is that Collected Company at least had some deck building restrictions: No/Few Creatures above 3 CMC, needed Green reliably on Turn 4, and little room for non creature spells. Smuggler's Copter can fit in any deck, be crewed by basically any creature(Token or otherwise) in Standard, and has the built in functionality of looting AND being a creature primarily on your turn when nearly every removal spell is Sorcery.

The only "Creatures" I can think of that can't pilot Smuggler's Copter that are still relevant is Nissa, VoZ's 0/1 Plants. Servos, Inspectors, Knight Tokens can all crew it. It's a card that feels reminiscent of Twin in UR decks in Modern, where any deck not running it is weaker then those running it. The big difference is Smuggler's Copter goes in literally any deck.

in... what sense

What's the new tech people are playing?

In that it's all Aggro minus Jund? That's not a good thing, considering that most of these decks are linear/hyperaggro.

Turns out giving Dredge a better Tormenting Voice and Infect another "Target Creature gets a pump and Hexproof" is a bit too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom