• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Is Sublime Exhalation the first wrath that only needs a single colored mana to cast?

I think Partner is a cute way to allow for 4 color decks without having to design a bunch of 4 colored legends
I really hope all 5 4-color Commanders are Phyrexian. It's perfect.

Santiako

Here are the themes of the decks:

WHITE-BLUE-BLACK-RED (WUBR) "ARTIFICE"

White embraces the progress exemplified in civilization. Blue finds technology fascinating. Black sees no moral distinction between the natural and the artificial. Red is happy to create and to destroy. But green? Green hates all of these things!

This deck utilizes a variety of "artifacts matter" cards from all four of its colors, along with a selection of colored and colorless artifacts. This is for players who want to build an intricate machine and use it to gain advantage over time.

BLUE-BLACK-RED-GREEN (UBRG) "CHAOS"

Blue is eager to discover the results of empirical experiments. Black is happy to confuse its enemies. Red embraces chaos on an elemental level as an essential part of its nature. Green is content to let the universe unfold as it will. White, as the color of order and structure, tries to contain chaos at every turn—but chaos will not be contained!

This deck embraces variance, playing cards sight-unseen from the top of the deck, flipping coins, and otherwise injecting additional randomness into the game. This deck is for players who prefer to "just see what happens" than to carefully plan each move.

BLACK-RED-GREEN-WHITE (BRGW) "AGGRESSION"

Black believes in strangling the young before they grow up to become a threat. Red loves to fight for the sheer exhilaration of it. Green understands that survival of the fittest makes the whole of nature strong, and white is willing to fight to defend its people and its beliefs. Blue, however, would prefer to slow down and study the situation in order to find the correct solution.

The aggro deck is unconcerned with politics; it simply wants to kill everyone at the table as quickly as possible. This deck is ideal for players who hate to durdle and prefer a play style more akin to Limited than the usual Commander fare.

RED-GREEN-WHITE-BLUE (RGWU) "ALTRUISM"

Red loves its friends. Green understands the power of symbiosis. White believes in community above all else. Blue values knowledge, and believes that it should be shared freely. Black sees selfishness as a virtue and believes that altruism only encourages weakness.

The pilot of this deck wants everyone at the table to have a good time and is eager to see what everyone's deck can do. That's why it's going to help everyone out with mana, cards, and some tokens here and there. Of course, some people are suspicious of gifts, so this deck must contain a few things to make attacking its pilot difficult.

GREEN-WHITE-BLUE-BLACK (GWUB) "GROWTH"

Green appreciates that a mighty oak grows from a tiny seed. White is the great builder of civilizations. Blue wants to expand its understanding. Black wants to increase its power. Red, acting on impulse, cares not about the future and only wants what it can have now, now, now!

This deck features a heavy counters (especially +1/+1 counters) theme. Any of its creatures has the potential to grow into a huge threat, given enough time. This deck is for every player who is thrilled at the idea of a 64/64 Hydra.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh I like Partner. That's pretty good, and lends the cards a ton more flexibility than they would have otherwise since I can pair up any partner with any other partner I want, so each one slots into any four color combo that includes its colors

jph139

Goddamn Atraxa is cool. No interest in going four-color, though, which makes me wish she was Sultai instead.

I like Partner a lot, particularly because it's flexible enough to also make three-color combinations as well.

ElyrionX

Here are the themes of the decks:

WHITE-BLUE-BLACK-RED (WUBR) "ARTIFICE"

White embraces the progress exemplified in civilization. Blue finds technology fascinating. Black sees no moral distinction between the natural and the artificial. Red is happy to create and to destroy. But green? Green hates all of these things!

This deck utilizes a variety of "artifacts matter" cards from all four of its colors, along with a selection of colored and colorless artifacts. This is for players who want to build an intricate machine and use it to gain advantage over time.

BLUE-BLACK-RED-GREEN (UBRG) "CHAOS"

Blue is eager to discover the results of empirical experiments. Black is happy to confuse its enemies. Red embraces chaos on an elemental level as an essential part of its nature. Green is content to let the universe unfold as it will. White, as the color of order and structure, tries to contain chaos at every turn—but chaos will not be contained!

This deck embraces variance, playing cards sight-unseen from the top of the deck, flipping coins, and otherwise injecting additional randomness into the game. This deck is for players who prefer to "just see what happens" than to carefully plan each move.

BLACK-RED-GREEN-WHITE (BRGW) "AGGRESSION"

Black believes in strangling the young before they grow up to become a threat. Red loves to fight for the sheer exhilaration of it. Green understands that survival of the fittest makes the whole of nature strong, and white is willing to fight to defend its people and its beliefs. Blue, however, would prefer to slow down and study the situation in order to find the correct solution.

The aggro deck is unconcerned with politics; it simply wants to kill everyone at the table as quickly as possible. This deck is ideal for players who hate to durdle and prefer a play style more akin to Limited than the usual Commander fare.

RED-GREEN-WHITE-BLUE (RGWU) "ALTRUISM"

Red loves its friends. Green understands the power of symbiosis. White believes in community above all else. Blue values knowledge, and believes that it should be shared freely. Black sees selfishness as a virtue and believes that altruism only encourages weakness.

The pilot of this deck wants everyone at the table to have a good time and is eager to see what everyone's deck can do. That's why it's going to help everyone out with mana, cards, and some tokens here and there. Of course, some people are suspicious of gifts, so this deck must contain a few things to make attacking its pilot difficult.

GREEN-WHITE-BLUE-BLACK (GWUB) "GROWTH"

Green appreciates that a mighty oak grows from a tiny seed. White is the great builder of civilizations. Blue wants to expand its understanding. Black wants to increase its power. Red, acting on impulse, cares not about the future and only wants what it can have now, now, now!

This deck features a heavy counters (especially +1/+1 counters) theme. Any of its creatures has the potential to grow into a huge threat, given enough time. This deck is for every player who is thrilled at the idea of a 64/64 Hydra.

These all sound horrible wtf

Santiako

This is interesting:

"We knew that four-color decks presented a special challenge for getting access to all of your colors of mana, so we spent some time identifying rare dual lands that we didn't think we'd want to put into booster packs in the near future. We put a few of those cards into the Commander 2016 decks to help the decks run smoothly."

I wonder what rare lands there are in there.

Also, kirblar missed this card:

WRyejiPWUk_EN.png

MoxManiac

So the legendary creatures in the decks are going to be foil now? That actually makes a lot of sense, it's something they should have been doing all along.

bigkrev

This is interesting:

"We knew that four-color decks presented a special challenge for getting access to all of your colors of mana, so we spent some time identifying rare dual lands that we didn't think we'd want to put into booster packs in the near future. We put a few of those cards into the Commander 2016 decks to help the decks run smoothly."

I wonder what rare lands there are in there.

Also, kirblar missed this card:

WRyejiPWUk_EN.png

Well, if they ever wanted to make a cycle of Grove of the Burnwillows, this would be the safest place to put them, as they wouldn't be Modern playable! It would probably create an even worse Mind Sieze situation, though.

Wulfric

Atraxa is hilarious, and partner seems like a good way to allow for 4 color decks without making crappy/too good legends. Sublime Exhalation's art and text is a little creepy, but I like that it only costs one W.

Bruse Tarl is such a daddy bear. Just look at that mustache.

This adds 3/4/5 (depending on how many colours you're playing) mana in any combination, lotus gets you one colour and it is already great. It's really good and will see tons of play.
I doubt it the CIPT makes it fairly bad imo. Could still see play but only in more budgety builds that will have a harder time hitting domain.

Santiako

I like that we're getting creatures from past history again:

To recap, there are four decks for Commander (2016 Edition). Each deck will focus on four colors. Each deck will contain fifteen new cards (although note that some new cards may appear in more than one of the decks). Among these fifteen new cards, each deck will have:

·A four-color legendary creature (new characters but from known worlds) printed at mythic rare
·An allied two-color legendary creature with partner (characters from Magic's past that haven't yet been printed as cards) printed at mythic rare
·Two enemy two-color legendary creatures with partner (characters from Magic's past that haven't yet been printed as cards that are creatively linked to one another), one printed at mythic rare and the other at rare
·Various other cards tied to the mechanical theme of the deck

Yeah I dont think the rock is that great. At five it's competing with mana doublers like Mirari's Wake and you have to consistently have this be better than Gilded Lotus to make the tapped etb palatable. I doubt that's happening unless your mana base is literally fetches and duals and you dont accelerate too fast into it.

The design article is interesting. They had a really hard time with this, such that they actually went over schedule and design bled into "Soup" (Fall 2017) exploratory design. MaRo's article for more.

I really like the flavor justification for Atraxa being not!red, since Urabrask, the red Phyrexian praetor, is opposed to the others and thus didn't participate in her creation.

Also, it should be noted that Sidar Kondo is a character that MaRo was trying to get a card for for a very long time.

"Landing post" for Commander 2016 coming up, like with previous non-Standard products.

red13th

The packaging says 4 legendary foils? Ugh that means all the legends are foil? Good thing they don't look all that exciting.

The design article is interesting. They had a really hard time with this, such that they actually went over schedule and design bled into "Soup" (Fall 2017) exploratory design. MaRo's article for more.

Not surprising at all that they had trouble with it. The biggest surprise for me was that they didn't have one Commander in each deck utilizing the text-box CI rule -- the explanation in Maro's article is kind of nonsensical, but Ethan clarifies in his that their issue was finding designs where they were equally happy with the creative and the mechanics.

I really like the flavor justification for Atraxa being not!red, since Urabrask, the red Phyrexian praetor, is opposed to the others and thus didn't participate in her creation.

Yeah this was a huge flavor win IMO since I saw the card name and immediately knew the exact flavor justification for being four colors. (And the design works too.)

Also, it should be noted that Sidar Kondo is a character that MaRo was trying to get a card for for a very long time.

"Landing post" for Commander 2016 coming up, like with previous non-Standard products.
Isn't Ham the Fall 2017 set that's been partially canalized by Conspiracy 2/Kaladesh? Soup is spring 2018.

Either way, I definitely like Atraxa. I'm hoping that the UWRG one is good, because I really want to play it off of the description.

Isn't Ham the Fall 2017 set that's been partially canalized by Conspiracy 2/Kaladesh? Soup is spring 2018.
Whoops.

Anyway, the product page has more commander information
Entropic Uprising (Not White)
Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder harnesses raw chaotic energy to obliterate his foes, channeling the Maelstrom at Alara's center. He cares little for long-term plans, preferring to unleash bursts of devastation upon anything in his path.

Open Hostility (Not Blue)
Saskia the Unyielding thrives in brutal combat, calling upon vicious hordes to crush her adversary underfoot. Saskia's strikes always find their mark, cleaving through any foe that stands between her and the focus of her fury.

Stalwart Unity (Not Black)
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis believe harmony is the key to true power. They share the rewards of their unshakable bond among their supporters, building alliances before unleashing powerful haymaker spells against their enemies.

Invent Superiority (Not Green)
Breya, Etherium Shaper learned to command powerful works of artifice on the Esper shard of Alara. Her mastery of lightning and expertise with etherium enable her to unlock the full potential of her creations and overwhelm her foes.

Here's Breya.
C16_EventsBlock_Breya-Etherium-Shaper_Production_Inline_RIGHT.jpg

EDIT: Zedruu, the Greathearted, is being reprinted.
240.jpg

c16-logo.jpg

Information
Release Date: November 11, 2016
Cards per deck: 100
Total new cards: 56
MSRP per deck: 34.99

The set will feature five four-color, 100-card Commander decks, along with 56 new Magic cards legal in Eternal formats (Vintage and Legacy) but not legal in Standard, Block Constructed, or Modern.

WHAT IS COMMANDER?
Commander is an exciting, unique way to play Magic that is all about awesome legendary creatures, big plays, and battling your friends in epic multiplayer games! In Commander, each player chooses a legendary creature as the commander of their deck. They then play with a 99-card deck that contains only cards of their commander's colors. Also, other than basic lands, each deck can only use one copy of any card. During the game, you can cast your commander multiple times, meaning your favorite Legendary Creature can come back again and again to lead the charge as you battle for victory!

CARD THEMES
Mechanics
MYlQPi6Hqn_EN.png

With four color Commanders, you can use any color but one in your deck. However, it is exceptionally difficult to create four-color cards, so in addition to the five new four-color creatures, there are also a number of two-color creatures you can use as your Commander. How does that work?

Partner
zP2tJ6yQY4_EN.png
5v6Wl8sqIA_EN.png

The partner keyword affects how you build your deck. Normally you can only have one Commander, but you can have two as long as both have partner. The colors you have access to in your deck expand to be the total of both, and you can mix and match them to make the deck of your choice. Note that they count toward your 100 card total, so you will have 98 non-Commander cards.

And the rest
ZcMtvJzuXC_EN.png
2V9yyiqxpu_EN.png
WRyejiPWUk_EN.png

Undaunted cards rise to the challenge and become easier to cast as your number of foes increases. If you're playing an eight-player game, Sublime Exhalation costs only W! But note that as people drop out, the cost of the spell will increase. Basic landcycling is a returning mechanic, of which there are several in the decks, but this has new cards. These cards are often expensive and/or situational, so in the early game, you can toss them aside and get a basic land of any type instead.

HIGHLIGHTS
Monday, October 24
Sublime Exhalation; Atraxa, Praetors' Voice; Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder; Silas Renn, Seeker Adept; Grave Upheaval (above)
Sylvan Reclamation, Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa, Prismatic Geoscope; Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix; Zedruu the Greathearted (above)
Vial Smasher the Fierce, Standard Showdown and Holiday Buy-a-Box, Primeval Protector, blurry Commander pictures, Kent Ketter cheating allegation, Charging Cinderhorn
Oath of Druids

Tuesday, October 25
Reyhan, Last of the Abzan; Coastal Breach; Saskia the Unyielding; Tana, the Bloodsower; Tymna the Weaver; Breya, Etherium Shaper
Basic lands, Crystalline Crawler, Cruel Entertainment, Chromatic Lantern, Beacon of Unrest; Iroas, God of Victory; Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Selfless Squire, Deepglow Skate, Stonehoof Chieftain, Chain of Vapor, Conqueror's Flail
Murmuring Bosk

Wednesday, October 26
Akiri, Line-Slinger; Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist; Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis; Parting Thougts; Magic Story - Commander descriptions; Runehorn Hellkite; Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker; Ravos, Soultender
Faerie Artisans, rare lands, Windfall, Reins of Power
Manifold Insights, Boompile

Thursday, October 27
Trasios, Triton Hero; Goblin Spymaster
Armory Automaton, Grip of Phyresis; Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder; Divergent Transformations; RPTQ Promo - Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; Grand Prix Promo - Progenitus; Magus of the Will; Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper; Seeds of Renewal; Daretti, Scrap Savant; Orzhov Advokist; Curse of Vengeance; Sydri, Galvanic Genius
Treacherous Terrain

Friday, October 28
Ash Barrens, full reveal

Ashodin

The partner mechanic is absolutely brilliant

Mix and match commanders sounds so fucking cool

And people mad that redwhite iz 4 fite? Again? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom