• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

I'm playing Lorwyn Mountains and Forests in my modern deck, but I definitely see myself switching for those Rebecca Guay ones, they look unbelievable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bet you that Guay art is just old stuff they had sitting around as opposed to a new commission.

They should really just do a supplemental product themed around the Phyrexian and/or Brothers' War, honestly. Tons of characters people would love to see on cards, tons of source material to do cool stuff with.

I expect they'll do this for Commander 2018. Again, if they actually intend to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

bigkrev

They should really just do a supplemental product themed around the Phyrexian and/or Brothers' War, honestly. Tons of characters people would love to see on cards, tons of source material to do cool stuff with.

They would find a way to fuck up and not have an Urza card in this

Santiako

CvoLe8KUkAI3ZNY.png

This is fun.

Crocodile

Reprints have been on point so far <3

Riddle me this
Damn Breya sucks but Saskia is insane, her damage should even be redirectable to PWs.

One is a card designed for competitive constructed and the other is designed for casual play AND is explosive with pump effects in a way Grim Flayer is not?

Genuinely wish she didn't have black in her identity. Makes her that much harder to cast. But at least I can use Foundry now.

I mean any of these commanders would be "better" cards if they were fewer colors to cast. The whole point is to be able to jam as many colors into your EDH decks

Oh man, some guy on twitter:

CveYEYJXEAMCCB3.jpg:large

A relative just dug his old Magic cards out of the cellar and asked me if they're worth anything. &#128563;

https://twitter.com/gengelstein/status/790267463183261696

I bet you that Guay art is just old stuff they had sitting around as opposed to a new commission.

Nope, already confirmed they commissioned these three sets for this set.

I expect they'll do this for Commander 2018. Again, if they actually intend to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

I already figure Return to Dominaria block is on that slot, you think they'll do something else this nostalgic the same year?

Santiako

The gallery confirms all the new commanders are foiled (they have the little star), it's going to be a bit annoying when they're on the 99. (I don't mind having the commander foiled, but I'm not a fan of foils in the main deck)

c16 Gallery

The gallery confirms all the new commanders are foiled (they have the little star), it's going to be a bit annoying when they're on the 99. (I don't mind having the commander foiled, but I'm not a fan of foils in the main deck)

Yeah, not thrilled about that, and honestly a little confused that they went this way given that in the past they've gotten a lot of mileage out of foil promos of commanders.

Or bringing a hyper competitive deck to a casual table and having to hold back so as to not spoil everyone's fun.

This is what I usually end up doing with Prossh. I hold him back when I have early kills.
Then what typically happens is the blue player gets to do whatever they want later on in the game because I held back...

New card.

Kind of surprised an 8/8 would look that small, and be a centaur. Didn't the creative team reject a Hercules card in Theros because having such a high-stat human would be odd? Also, it's actually kind of surprising seeing such a high cost creature without a cost reduction mechanic, but at least it can be reanimated. Anyway, seems good.

OnPoint

Kind of surprised an 8/8 would look that small, and be a centaur. Didn't the creative team reject a Hercules card in Theros because having such a high-stat human would be odd? Also, it's actually kind of surprising seeing such a high cost creature without a cost reduction mechanic, but at least it can be reanimated. Anyway, seems good.
It's pretty big. It's as tall as that tree

kirblar

Really? I thought Guay was done with Magic because she made more doing gallery work. I guess Cynthia Sheppard convinced the finance people to cough up the dough for this set.
Given that the basics are in a Commander set, there's a good chance that they gave better licensing deals to the artists as part of the deal here. All the swag and contracts that go w/ it aren't here like in a normal set.

red13th

Really? I thought Guay was done with Magic because she made more doing gallery work. I guess Cynthia Sheppard convinced the finance people to cough up the dough for this set.

Cynthia Shepherd is my hero if that's the case, dude, Rebecca Guay. Mark Poole too!

http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2016/10/much-magic-released/ Pretty decent look at the accelerated schedule this year -- as many people have noted, the two big changes this year were two supplemental booster sets instead of one, and too many products jammed into the summer, both of which are fixed in next year's schedule.

Really? I thought Guay was done with Magic because she made more doing gallery work.

There's basically three tiers of Magic contracts that an artist can get: there's the workaday low-end illos that go on random commons and whatnot, there's the high-profile ones like major planeswalkers and prominent rare lands that pay better and have higher expectations attached, and then there's the prestige contracts for specific, limited works like single Judge promos, individual cycles in promotional product like the SDCC cards, etc.

When you're working on the first tier there, you're typically getting multiple pieces just based on whatever the art director decides to give you per set, you're not getting to merchandise them since nobody wants them on a playmat, and the artist proofs aren't worth much; artists successful outside Magic are often not gonna be interested in what you can make at this tier anymore, even though it's still higher than most genre illustration gigs.

In that top tier, though, you're getting custom contracted at a higher per-unit price, you're getting potentially a longer deadline, you'll have more artistic control over what you produce, and your artist proofs and playmats will do brisk business. It definitely makes sense to me that some people who aren't interested in the regular category would be up for that.

Cynthia Shepherd is my hero if that's the case, dude, Rebecca Guay. Mark Poole too!

Cynthia Sheppard has definitely ascended to being my favorite MTG art designer. That horrible summer where we were worried Origins and BFZ were the face of future Magic art seems so far away now.

How does the 2nd and top tier pay out? I only know about the regular art commission being a flat rate of $1000 and some proofs and you have a couple weeks to submit a publishable piece and a week or so to do corrections working with the art director.

That was before Mohrbacher had his meltdown and Cynthia Sheppard joined WotC, so I don't know what's changed in the past 8-12 months.

Ashodin

Mohrbacher had his meltdown

???

EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT ITS FOR TAZRI YESSSSSSS

holy shit it's this dude's flail (not exactly, maybe like a training one since it doesn't do everything this guy does)

74.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom