• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

partnered commander decks have access to 2 cards as many times as they have mana to cast them. that is a distinct advantage over the rules of 1 single commander. it would be different if it was just 1 extra card, but technically it is 1 extra card and possible effect multiple times, over and over again. you can also swap between commanders depending on how much mana you have, yet another advantage. overall, although the partner commanders don't seem unfair per se, the advantage strikes me as being so.

Riddle me this
p5YwarGCXG_EN.png
Image.ashx
Damn Breya sucks but Saskia is insane, her damage should even be redirectable to PWs.

Yeef

Crystalline_Crawler_JP.PNG

Crystalline Crawler(4)

Converge (Crystalline Crawler enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)

Remove a +1/+1 counter from Crystalline Crawler:Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

(T):Put a +1/+1 counter on Crystalline Crawler.

1/1

Hero

Man all those lands are amazing.

I truly hope we go back to Dominaria for the anniversary and they have full art basics.

Yeef

Converge is a great mechanic, it just didn't really make sense for BFZ. It would have been perfect for a return to Alara.

OnPoint

i could see the case for both white and red.

Red makes sense to me because of cards from Origins, and Pia. White makes sense to me because I'd want to blink her. Black... I mean, er, Esper? I guess it's cool to have access to black for things but nothing thopter related. I'll make due lol

Genuinely wish she didn't have black in her identity. Makes her that much harder to cast. But at least I can use Foundry now.

and you can even play SFM to go and get sword of the meek. I think I found my next deck that or if they spoil a better partner for Silas, Reyhan is nice but that combo would be a bit gimmicky.

ElyrionX

That Crystalline Crawler is pretty sweet. It's almost like a Birds of Paradise for all decks.

Edit: Maybe even better. Forgotten Ancient with that thing is pretty nuts.

MoxManiac

partnered commander decks have access to 2 cards as many times as they have mana to cast them. that is a distinct advantage over the rules of 1 single commander. it would be different if it was just 1 extra card, but technically it is 1 extra card and possible effect multiple times, over and over again. you can also swap between commanders depending on how much mana you have, yet another advantage. overall, although the partner commanders don't seem unfair per se, the advantage strikes me as being so.

Yes, but the partners are inherently worse alone than most traditional single commanders, enough so to offset that.

Santiako

Saskia is legit good, and I love the aspect of "fuck THIS guy in particular" when playing her.

Breya is not mind-blowing, but it provides sacrifice fodder, a mana sink and a sac engine, so it has plenty of potential.

Tymna and Tana are alright, nothing too crazy but they're partnerable.

Crystalline Crawler looks very good.

Coastal Breach is just annonying.

THOSE BASIC THOUGH HNNGGGGGG

Yes, but the partners are inherently worse alone than most traditional single commanders, enough so to offset that.

We hope.

But you know, at some point during the next few years, they will print "Jace the Mind Sculptor" in partner form, after they've forgotten why they made them weaker commanders.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Breya's going to need a LOT of artifact generation, blinks, and the like to be viable.

Either that, or she needs the addition of a 'does combat damage to a player' to the current ETB to get more thopter value.

edit:

And yeah, Partner opens up a somewhat dangerous precedent - they're going to have to be pretty careful to keep them in check power (or synergy)-wise.

Breya's going to need a LOT of artifact generation, blinks, and the like to be viable.

Either that, or she needs the addition of a 'does combat damage to a player' to the current ETB to get more thopter value.

edit:

And yeah, Partner opens up a somewhat dangerous precedent - they're going to have to be pretty careful to keep them in check power (or synergy)-wise.

she actually just needs
and either of these
to go infinite

Yeef

Like all of the other Commander gimmicks, odds are we won't see partner again for a long time. The 15 we get here will likely be it for a number of years.

Because she's what's left of abzan after this guy

submitted to Dromoka.

OH! That's who she is! Pretty neat.

Coastal Breach is pretty boring. I'd say I hope not all undaunted cards are basic sweeper effects, but that's really all that mechanic makes sense for, isn't it?

Not too interested by the Commanders today. The ones I like most are Saskia and Reyhan.

Cruel Entertainment is an amazing design, and I like the art concept too.

I was surprised to see Guay return to do basic art lands. The lands in these decks are pretty good. I forget, did these decks have custom lands before?

red13th

OH! That's who she is! Pretty neat.

Coastal Breach is pretty boring. I'd say I hope not all undaunted cards are basic sweeper effects, but that's really all that mechanic makes sense for, isn't it?

Not too interested by the Commanders today. The ones I like most are Saskia and Reyhan.

Cruel Entertainment is an amazing design, and I like the art concept too.

I was surprised to see Guay return to do basic art lands. The lands in these decks are pretty good. I forget, did these decks have custom lands before?

Nope, reprints. I was hoping for a thunder Plains reprint for a while in one of these sets.

There are a bunch of Artifact Cycle characters I'd love to see as Legends.

Xantcha, Tocasia, Gix, Tawnos, Ashnod, Glacian, Yawgmoth...

They should really just do a supplemental product themed around the Phyrexian and/or Brothers' War, honestly. Tons of characters people would love to see on cards, tons of source material to do cool stuff with.

REBECCA GUAY BASICS.
am I dreaming?

I think this is the first time they've ever commissioned new basic lands for a non-booster product, right? They really went crazy with it here, jeez.

is there any particular reason why they don't just do full-art lands for every set? There should at least be an option

It's the single most mercenary thing they've ever admitted to: you can sell a bad set like BFZ using full art lands, while doing them in every set means they won't be "special" anymore. It's dumb.

Converge was terrible in BFZ because it completely goes against the "We only expected 2 colour decks in constructed". What, R&D? You put the Anger of the gods replacement in and made it so it was only good in 3-4 color decks and then acted surprised that people were playing 3/4 color decks? The same goes for Painful Truths(If I'm only 2 colours, why would I play this over Read the Bones?) Or Bring to Light.

The mechanic itself wasn't bad and I'd definitely see it returning if/when we go back to Alara, but dear God it sucked in BFZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom