• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
h6NgGf4.png

Ox
Haste 4/2
end of each player's turn if no creature attacked put a fury counter on Ox and it deals damage equal to number of counters to that player.

Here comes dat elemental boi!

I do find it funny that the actual couple is apparently represented by one card and not a set of partner cards

they're monogamous, while all the partner legends are really more of the swingers type

I doubt it. These are explicitly dual lands that they don't plan to print in Standard, and they wouldn't want Modern players buying the decks just for them.

It'll be some subset of Lorwyn tribal duals, allied fastlands, and painlands -- i.e. stuff that's plane-bound and so can't typically be reprinted in Standard anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't Brushland like 20 bucks now because of Bant Eldrazi?

bigkrev

I don't play much commander but these products tend to excite me because it s chance for WOTC to make some sweet cards without having to worry about breaking Standard or some other shit. So spoilers are off to a good start. It also seems we will get a good helping of dual lands in these decks per Ethan's article. Extra shocks into circulation for every deck (especially if there is a Domain sub-theme in the decks)?

The marketing does seem to suggest every new legendary card is going to be foil though. Fuck that shit if true :(

I doubt it. These are explicitly dual lands that they don't plan to print in Standard, and they wouldn't want Modern players buying the decks just for them.

Maybe the core set/innistrad check lands?

they're monogamous, while all the partner legends are really more of the swingers type

It'll be some subset of Lorwyn tribal duals, allied fastlands, and painlands -- i.e. stuff that's plane-bound and so can't typically be reprinted in Standard anyway.

Now I'm thinking they are untapped duals that don't have land types

Hot Lake
Land
T: add R or U to your mana pool

That's too good for standard, but are unplayable in Legacy/Vintage.

Really hoping for a Phyrexian Altar reprint in one of these... Pipe dream?

RE: Only foil Legends is kinda lame. I really don't like foils :(

Otherwise psyched, though - love the Flanking guy, but kinda wish he was White Blue. I hope there's more Flanking in the other cards. Or a new card with Provoke?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I've admittedly been a wee bit out of touch due to school, but this is some bonkers-ass-shit they're trying to defend.

At the VERY least, it's rules-lawyering to an absurd degree.

And the video doesn't do him any favors at all. Literally shows him picking up his graveyard, moving it....then putting it back.

And then his excuse is 'my opponent never called the trigger, and wasn't paying attention, thus the burden of proof is on him'.

Like, what the hell.

At least the new commanders shown are pretty cool n such.

red13th

I wonder if they will have no cards with XCC mana costs since those would be hard for 4 colour decks to cast, even the wrath has only a single white.

I've admittedly been a wee bit out of touch due to school, but this is some bonkers-ass-shit they're trying to defend.

At the VERY least, it's rules-lawyering to an absurd degree.

And the video doesn't do him any favors at all. Literally shows him picking up his graveyard, moving it....then putting it back.

And then his excuse is 'my opponent never called the trigger, and wasn't paying attention, thus the burden of proof is on him'.

Like, what the hell.

At least the new commanders shown are pretty cool n such.

I could buy the argument that he was angle-shooting as opposed to outright cheating, but neither of those have any place in this game and neither should be tolerated.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now I'm thinking they are untapped duals that don't have land types

Hot Lake
Land
T: add R or U to your mana pool

That's too good for standard, but are unplayable in Legacy/Vintage.
Those are very playable in Vintage and Legacy.

Lucario

So let's say someone were to go to the cardhoarder booth, put $20 on the table, and ask for a Torrential Gearhulk.
Would they be justified in taking the Gearhulk and the cash back? I mean, cardhoarder never verbally confirmed the sale. No reason not to just assume you're getting the card for free.

... That's how this defense sounds to me. Picking up your graveyard is acknowledging the trigger as much as placing a $20 on the table is acknowledging a sale. You can't just take that back because the other party failed to say "yup, this happened."

alternade

Fuck I really hate playing in a hyper competitive commander meta. If you're not at 6+ mana turn 3 or able to combo off any given second you don't stand a chance. Even having a fun game turns into 4 people playing solitaire.

Kind of over this damn game and it's bullshit

I just bought a full playset of commander 2016 :(

ElyrionX

Fuck I really hate playing in a hyper competitive commander meta. If you're not at 6+ mana turn 3 or able to combo off any given second you don't stand a chance. Even having a fun game turns into 4 people playing solitaire.

Kind of over this damn game and it's bullshit

I just bought a full playset of commander 2016 :(

Or bringing a hyper competitive deck to a casual table and having to hold back so as to not spoil everyone's fun.

y2dvd

So let's say someone were to go to the cardhoarder booth, put $20 on the table, and ask for a Torrential Gearhulk.
Would they be justified in taking the Gearhulk and the cash back? I mean, cardhoarder never verbally confirmed the sale. No reason not to just assume you're getting the card for free.

... That's how this defense sounds to me. Picking up your graveyard is acknowledging the trigger as much as placing a $20 on the table is acknowledging a sale. You can't just take that back because the other party failed to say "yup, this happened."

Totally agreed. To me it's an equivalent to an offsides where you preemptively act to cause a misplay, in this case Kent removing his graveyard is basically acknowledging the trigger and baited his opponent not to declare it.

I don't agree with the pitchfork mentality towards the store though.

OnPoint

I like that they're making these. I just hope future cards like this have the right identity.

Like, I know the flavor and the story about how they dropped off including black in their identity when the Dragons timeline took over. I just hate that he's called "Last of the Abzan" when the color identity of that tribe includes white, and the card doesn't. You can't use him as an Abzan commander. Which is stupid.

Toxi

Banned
There are a bunch of Artifact Cycle characters I'd love to see as Legends.

Xantcha, Tocasia, Gix, Tawnos, Ashnod, Glacian, Yawgmoth...
I get the irritation, but is there a more obvious theme of the type they mention here that covers WURG?
It's hard to think of a "theme" that covers four colors, but I just really hate Group Hug (at least of the kind described; Zedruu and Nekusar are cool because their "Group Hug" effects obviously benefit them most and their decks are rarely built around letting the game get out of control).

Maybe aura and equipment interaction, aka Voltron.dec? Since Black sucks at both of those.

I like that they're making these. I just hope future cards like this have the right identity.

Like, I know the flavor and the story about how they dropped off including black in their identity when the Dragons timeline took over. I just hate that he's called "Last of the Abzan" when the color identity of that tribe includes white, and the card doesn't. You can't use him as an Abzan commander. Which is stupid.

She's female and she was killed by Silumgar and Ojutai alongside Shu Yun. I like the idea that she's GB because Daghatar abandoned Abzan and he's monowhite.

jph139

I get the feeling that Return to Tarkir will be ally color Dragons vs. enemy color Khans for control of the clans, so Abzan being GW vs. GB makes sense in that dimension.

But yeah, it'd be like naming a guy "Biggest Baddest Gruul Dude" and making him mono-green. I would have gone with "Last Khan of (Abzan Place)" or something.

jph139

Damn, you'll be casting that 4 mana in most EDH games and splashable to boot. I mean, it's symmetrical, which kinda sucks, but I think it's going to make waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom