• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Menendian's been talking about this for probably like six months at this point -- the tribal Eldrazi deck is synergistic enough, and the Eldrazi-specific ramp effects so good in this particular deck, that the power doesn't actually add that much. It's kind of ideal inasmuch as it's a truly competitive Vintage deck with no power, but not so good as to be dominant or anything. Definitely goes to show how completely absurd the Eldrazi are though.

I'm in the Vintage group on Facebook and I've been asking for advice as to what deck to get into for a beginner. The fact this deck doesn't use power interested me a lot because I could actual afford to play it in paper, not just MTGO.

bigkrev

Reid constantly reading cards like Nether Shadow and Whirlpool Rider, which appear to be the only English cards in this guys Manaless Dredge deck.

BTW, an event like this is a much better venue for Randy as a commentator. It's all old cards, and Bob Maher is following up and playing off all the old school pro tour stories

bigkrev

Real shot show of judging- on back to back turns guy plays spells into his own chalice, misses his trigger, and in both cases it's allowed to stick. Bob is loosing his mind in commentary that there needs to be a game loss

BTW, an event like this is a much better venue for Randy as a commentator. It's all old cards, and Bob Maher is following up and playing off all the old school pro tour stories

Yeah, you get sort of the same effect in VSL (where he's always a pleasure to listen to) vs. the Pro Tour (where he's not been able to keep the level of currency needed to cover what's actually happening.)

G.ZZZ

...what is goblin prison?

Red chalice aggro based on goblins with moggcatcher, 8 blood moons, kiji-jiki etc... It won against griselbrand first by bouncing it and then by getting a siege gang commander that was lethal on attack and griselbrand couldn't gain life on block because of the siege gang commander ability to sacrifice itself.

The next deck on camera after was actually mono-white soldier prison with 8 thalias, preeminent captain, suppression field etc...

OnPoint

...what is goblin prison?

It used to be

Goblin Prison
Creatures (24)
1 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Goblin Settler
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Moggcatcher
1 Murderous Redcap
2 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Tuktuk Scrapper
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Krenko, Mob Boss

Lands (20)
8 Mountain
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
4 City of Traitors

Spells (16)
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Chrome Mox
3 Trinisphere
4 Blood Moon
2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Boartusk Liege
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Stingscourger
2 Sulfur Elemental
3 Leyline of the Void
1 Dismember
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Koth of the Hammer

SourceCityGames

but I couldn't tell you what it is now.

hermit7

I have a legacy IQ tomorrow at my LGS.

Going to be running D&T.

This is my list, any suggestions on additions or anything?

1 Cavern of Souls
4 Rishadan port
4 wasteland
3 Karakas
11 plains

3 mother of runes
4 Thalia guardian of thraben
4 stoneforge mystic
4 flickerwisp
3 recruiter of the guard
3 Serra avenger
2 sanctum prelate
3 phyrexian revoker

4 aether vial
4 swords to plowshares
1 Batterskull
1 sword of fire and ice
1 umezawas jitte

I have cut new Thalia for an additional recruiter and avenger because it is slow especially if you've got a turn 1 vial and can't play it until turn 4. I cut a second Cavern with the same mentality having less humans. Aside from that it is pretty standard list, won't post the sideboard but that is fairly typical as well.

G.ZZZ

This was the "white goblin" list i believe:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
2 Karakas
8 Plains
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
2 Palace Jailer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Suppression Field

Wulfric

I have a legacy IQ tomorrow at my LGS.

Going to be running D&T.

This is my list, any suggestions on additions or anything?

I have cut new Thalia for an additional recruiter and avenger because it is slow especially if you've got a turn 1 vial and can't play it until turn 4. I cut a second Cavern with the same mentality having less humans. Aside from that it is pretty standard list, won't post the sideboard but that is fairly typical as well.

Looks good to me, although I like having 2 Recruiters mainboard instead of 3. Heretic Cathar is fun to use, imo. Let us know how it goes, I'm planning to take the deck to GP Milwaukee for side events

Also, I'm glad this playmat is a thing. So cute. Not a fan of the commander overlays though.

0maSp7H.jpg

Wulfric

so I cant play fnm's anymore due to my work schedule. any advice on getting started on mtgo?

Read this primer on Cardhoarder. It's pretty lengthy, but it tells you everything you could possibly want to know to start with.

My personal tips:

1) Don't open boosters outside of sealed/draft (duh).
2) Take advantage of the new player events. They're an easy way to learn the interface and earn a few cards.
3) Phantom drafts are an easy way to play Magic for cheap. You don't keep the cards, but you can earn "play points" to use to enter future events.

That's about it. I don't play constructed online, so I can't speak for that.

hermit7

Looks good to me, although I like having 2 Recruiters mainboard instead of 3. Heretic Cathar is fun to use, imo. Let us know how it goes, I'm planning to take the deck to GP Milwaukee for side events

Also, I'm glad this playmat is a thing. So cute. Not a fan of the commander overlays though.

http://i.imgur.com/0maSp7H.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

THC is fun, I agree and definitely has a spot in legacy I just don't know if her home is D&T. If I could play her turn 2 of an ancient tomb or something with a bit more ramp I would run her but running her out turn 3 is a bit slow and with a vial it is turn 4. (Especially if you keep a 2 lander and don't draw into a third by then)

I will see how it goes but wil definitely report in, I suck though at legacy and it is only my second tournament so I will probably 0-3 and drop.

Wulfric

Lol, I'm no good either. Although I'll say losing in legacy is definitely more fun to watch happen than losing in modern.

I play Brimaz too, but that's more of an FNM/local meta card.

jwhit28

I missed all of SOI because I was in the process of moving. What would you guys suggest as a nice budget deck to get back into Standard? I like aggro and the guy at my new card shop suggested G/R Energy, but told me prepare for the dirty looks lol.

Any other suggestions?

alternade

0maSp7H.jpg
That play mat will be mine.

I was thinking of doing a YouTube video with ideas to upgrade the new Commander decks for less than $30 while keeping the theme of the general.

Violet_0

Banned
I was thinking of doing a YouTube video with ideas to upgrade the new Commander decks for less than $30 while keeping the theme of the general.

I have prepared a huge list of cards that work with Atraxa, but now I'm not sure if it's really worth it putting more thought into it because the deck comes to a grinding halt after the first boardwipe, it's lacking graveyard recursion, tutors and real game enders and if I want to play those I need to pretty much gut most of the pre-build deck. When I played EDH on MTGO, I usually ended games by searching for Sepulchral Primordial or Diluvian Primordial, Glen Elendra Archmage and Rites of Replication or Simic Manipulator, and then just keep recasting them every turn with Genesis and other cards. That just seems a lot more efficient than the counter strategy

bigkrev

ADHD meds are a lifesaver for me in competitive.

I can somewhat excuse the the wierder ones, like the guy yesterday who missed his own Chalice trigger after his opponent PROLIFERATED a counter on to it, but using STP on a Thought-Knot Seer is probably one of the more common interactions in Vintage/Legacy right now!

bigkrev

Yeah, you get sort of the same effect in VSL (where he's always a pleasure to listen to) vs. the Pro Tour (where he's not been able to keep the level of currency needed to cover what's actually happening.)

Yeah, this. And while the only amount of shit I give about the Magic Storyline is how it hurts my enjoyment of the game (because it causes dumb conversations on the internet when a card doesn't do what they think it should do, and that the card art is infested with the same characters over and over again), I am endlessly fascinated with the oral history of the game, both in the design process and in the Pro Tour aspect. Randy and Bob have both been on FIRE this weekend with little bits and pieces of old stories, and I wish we got more things like this.

bigkrev

Semifinals went a functional 5 turns total- Mulligan to 4 and never cast a meaningful spell, and then turn 3 get Null Rod-Tabernacle'd to wipe your lethal board of Fleetwheel Crusers and Porcelean Legionares and then get Wasteland/Crucible Locked the next turn

Vintage is wild.

Santiako

Semifinals went a functional 5 turns total- Mulligan to 4 and never cast a meaningful spell, and then turn 3 get Null Rod-Tabernacle'd to wipe your lethal board of Fleetwheel Crusers and Porcelean Legionares and then get Wasteland/Crucible Locked the next turn

Vintage is wild.

It was a mulligan to 2 lol

bigkrev

It was a mulligan to 2 lol

Oh jeez

Why even bother playing it out? Your only hope at winning would be your opponent getting a game loss penalty, and based on judge calls this weekend, you need to do something like punch a person to get anything more than a warning

Santiako

Oh jeez

Why even bother playing it out? Your only hope at winning would be your opponent getting a game loss penalty, and based on judge calls this weekend, you need to do something like punch a person to get anything more than a warning

The game lasted 90 seconds, it was hilariously sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom